Start by marking “Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Eternal Champion, #11)” as Want to Read:
Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Eternal Champion, #11)

Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Eternal Champion #11)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  666 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The founders of modern literary fancy deserve their own place in the light. The Borealis Legends line is a tribute to the creators of the science fiction, fantasy and horror genres as we know them today.This 11th volume of The Eternal Champion series is dedicated to the most popular incarnation of the Champion: the doomed emperor Elric of Melnibone. In order to achieve his ...more
Published by White Wolf Games Studio

To ask other readers questions about Elric, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elric

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Best Fantasy Books
378th out of 1,145 books — 1,374 voters

More lists with this book...

Randolph Carter
Jan 13, 2014 Randolph Carter rated it really liked it
The first thing you need to do when writing a Michael Moorcock sword and sorcery novella is divide your 60,000 words into four sections, 15,000 words apiece. Then divide each section into six chapters. Allow a major event to happen, something astonishing, every four pages. How about a plot? How about we have only six days to save the Multiverse? Now draw a map of your world so you know where you are at any given time. Now begin...

Sounds easy, right? Well, maybe for Moorcock. Seriously the major
Chris
This, combined with Elric: The Song of the Black Sword, is just one of many ways to read the core books of the Elric saga. These two omnibuses were published by White Wolf, Inc. in the 1990's. "White Wolf" is actually named after Elric himself, as it turns out, that being one of his many nicknames.

This particular volume includes these Elric books:

#4, The Sleeping Sorceress, aka The Vanishing Tower
#9, The Revenge of the Rose
#5, The Bane of the Black Sword
#6, Stormbringer.

Books #1-3 and #8 are fo
Joel Mitchell
Jan 16, 2016 Joel Mitchell rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
There are multiple editions of Michael Moorcock's "Elric of Melniboné" story cycle. This particular anthology is the continuation and conclusion of the cycle as begun in Elric: Song of the Black Sword (aka volumes 5 and 11 of the American version of the Tale of the Eternal Champion series). This volume features Elric dealing with the aftermath of his act of anger and vengeance at the heart of the previous volume (see first comment for what that act was if you don't mind a spoiler from the previo ...more
Otis Campbell
Jul 22, 2015 Otis Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Elric: The Stealer of Souls • interior artwork by Phil Hale
ii • Elric in the Young Kingdoms (map) • (1993) • interior artwork by James Cawthorn
ix • Introduction (Elric: The Stealer of Souls) • essay by Michael Moorcock
1 • The Sleeping Sorceress • [The Elric Saga • 4] • (1971) • novel by Michael Moorcock
131 • The Revenge of the Rose • [The Elric Saga • 8] • (1991) • novel by Michael Moorcock
327 • The Stealer of Souls • [The Elric Saga] • (1962) • novelette by Michael Moorcock
369 • Kings in
Charles
Jun 09, 2009 Charles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Parts of this book actually appeared in the volume entitled "The Weird of the White Wolf." This is, I believe, an earlier version of that material.
Gordon
May 24, 2009 Gordon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mostly re-read this because it was a freebie ebook.

As I recollected, but it reinforced, many of the tragic-anti-hero aspects of the stories (and their anarchist bent) remained but what I had thought was merely average writing seemed much poorer here.

The Elric/fantasy novels were always wildly signposted and somewhat transparent (in this book, which is a compendium of magazine shorts and letters-to-skim-through, it is even more obvious, if explainable).

There is little feeling of suspense, there i
Paco Paco
Sep 29, 2009 Paco Paco rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I obtained this book for free on my Amazon Kindle. The format was slightly confusing on the Kindle, as the book was interspersed with history from the publishing of the original Elric saga in the Fantasy zines back in the 60's.

As a story, I see it as a sark and harsh version of the reluctant universal hero who must sacrifice himself for the good of all. It is hard to truly identify with the hero, or any of the characters, it reads more like a heroic saga with names and places and little emotion.
Adam
Aug 02, 2011 Adam rated it really liked it
The stories in this collection are mostly very good, some of them classics of the fantasy genre. The collection as a whole, however, is a bit awkward as it is arranged "chronologically" in order the full history of Elric as opposed to order of publication. There are wild shifts in style and tone from story to story and it doesn't have the cohesiveness that the editors were probably hoping for. In fact, the White Wolf editions have been out of print for some years. Del Rey currently has the right ...more
Stuart Lutzenhiser
The first of four volumes republishing the stories of Elric in the order of their publication rather than a chronilogical order - which I think is what was attempted in the novelizations from the '70s that I read the first time (starting with Elric of Melnibone and ending with Stormbringer).
Most interesting, I thought, about this edition is the additional materials that were included. Two of them are explanitory letters written at the same time as the stories, roughly. Seeing them in the publish
Tamcamry
Mar 02, 2010 Tamcamry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
• Overall, I feel this was a good summary of the Elric character. I was a little irritated that there were some stories in this book that had been in the previous Elric book, but I understand why he put them in. Some of the extras like the letters and the review of Stormbringer were somewhat interesting. When I was reading those I got the feeling that this is something that Moorcock is incredibly proud of. He should be proud of it as Elric is a great character. It does seem that Moorcock believe ...more
Sinem Yılmaz
Dec 23, 2015 Sinem Yılmaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Çok beklentim yüksekti ama kitapta bir tatsızlık vardı. Bunu yorumda uzunca anlatacağım zaten, yine de dört puan verdim ve gerçekten harikaydı ama beklentimi sanki yüz yıldızlık bir kitap elimdeymiş gibi tutmuştum.
February Four
Nov 24, 2009 February Four rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not finish. I got to page 79 out of 493 (so my e-book reader tells me). Clunky prose that I just could not handle. A large part of those 79 pages were Michael Moorcock talking about how Elric had affected so many people's lives. Perhaps this is a book that requires one actually read the other books first (official fanfiction?) because I just couldn't bring myself to continue with this book after those 79 pages.
Frank Roberts
Actually didn't read this all the way through. Dropped it about halfway in.

It was easy to see the Elric stories as D&D style adventures, but if so, then the campaign arc never became clear to me, and the stories just became a series of self-contained narratives, with no larger arc and sometimes no clear flow from one to another. Too much Deus ex machina involved as well.
Mouse
Feb 17, 2009 Mouse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm re-reading the Elric stories for the 1st time since my teenage years. The stories to my surprise hold up nicely. Plus, for me, they are bringing back a lot of pleasant memories.

I love these stories. They are in a class by themselves.

If you have any love at all for "sword and sorcery" fiction & haven't read these, you have to add them to your list.
Heather Perreault
This compendieum of truly pulp fantasy fiction stories was a Kindle freebie, so I decided to read what is considered by some to be one of the original works of modern sword and sorcery (from the 60's or so). Very interesting to get a little historical perspective on the genre, and I enjoyed the stories for what they were - nothing very substantial, but a fun read.
Christian Herro
Jun 06, 2013 Christian Herro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read this and its White Wolf published companion omnibus. Little more to say in this review, but as the second part of the Elric saga, Moorcock's writing tends to get stronger as his style developed and he pieced together his mythos. There are still the heavy (and enjoyable) whiffs of pulp fiction, but it never becomes cloying or overdone.
Wm
Elric has its moments, but it lacks that extra layer of humour and lightness found in Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.

So very emo. I guess the issue is that the promised decadence never really went beyond the conventional and I never fully bought the soul sucking sword.

Still worth reading, though.
WillowBe
Jan 14, 2011 WillowBe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wtf
What The Hell???? Prepubescent boy books for those who's b**** are on the verge of dropping, but havent's yet.Too far from me in gender, generation, and style for me to even be close to understanding, let alone liking. Like reading olde english, as far as I am concerned. At least I gave it a go.
Jeremy
Jul 21, 2009 Jeremy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Another ebook offered free by Harper-Collins as the start of a series. This book was so bad, I just couldn't finish it. Needless to say, I was disappointed in this novel.
Jenn
Sep 21, 2008 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenage boys, rabid fans of the movie Heavy Metal
Recommended to Jenn by: NY Times book review
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I read this after Dancers at the End of Time, thank goodness. Dancers is amazing. Elric not so much. Mildly entertaining and a little sexist, at best.
David Hunter
This is my "no one will talk to me at the pub" book to read on my iPhone while I enjoy a beer on the patio.
Joy
Marked as read to get it off my "currently reading" list - may finish one day.
Tammy
Jun 26, 2010 Tammy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Could not finish this book - it surprises me that it was even published.
bluetyson
The Stealer of Souls by Michael Moorcock (1973)
Squire
Jan 08, 2013 Squire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: michael-moorcock
The Elric Saga part 2.
Luke Herson
Luke Herson marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
James McGovern
James McGovern marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Krissie
Krissie marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Ingrid Rteest
Ingrid Rteest marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
  • Elric: Tales of the White Wolf (Michael Moorcock's Elric)
  • Elric: Stormbringer
  • The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath: A Graphic Novel
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
  • Weapons of Choice (Axis of Time, #1)
  • The Brass Bed (Jewel Heiss #1)
  • For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx, #1)
  • The Door to Saturn
  • Return to Lankhmar (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #5-6)
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric Vol. 1: The Ruby Throne
  • Paradox
  • Hell Kat
  • Blood Engines (Marla Mason, #1)
  • King's Property (Queen of the Orcs, #1)
  • Mute
  • Masterpieces of Fantasy and Wonder
  • Thieves' World: First Blood (Thieves' World, #1-2)
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...

Eternal Champion (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eternal Champion (Eternal Champion, #1)
  • Von Bek (Eternal Champion, #2)
  • Hawkmoon (Eternal Champion, #3)
  • A Nomad of the Time Streams (Eternal Champion, #4)
  • Elric: Song of the Black Sword (Eternal Champion, #5)
  • The Roads Between the Worlds (Eternal Champion, #6)
  • Sailing to Utopia (Eternal Champion, #8)
  • Kane of Old Mars (Eternal Champion, #9)
  • The Dancers at the End of Time (Dancers at the End of Time, #1-3)
  • Corum: The Prince with the Silver Hand (Eternal Champion, #12)

“I think of myself as a bad writer with big ideas, but I'd rather be that than a big writer with bad ideas.” 96 likes
“We must be bound to one another then," Elric murmured despairingly. "Bound by hell-forged chains and fate-haunted circumstance. Well, then—let it be thus so—and men will have cause to tremble and flee when they hear the names of Elric of Melinbone and Stormbringer, his sword. We are two of a kind—produced by an age which has deserted us. Let us give this age cause to hate us!” 15 likes