Start by marking “The Complete Major Prose Plays” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Complete Major Pro...

Henrik Ibsen

The Complete Major Prose Plays

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This title includes the following works: Pillars of Society, A Doll's House, Ghosts, An Enemy of the People, The Wild Duck, Rosmerholm, The Lady from the Sea, Hedda Gabler, The Master Builder, Little Eyolf, John Gabriel Borkman, and When We Dead Awaken.
Published April 3rd 1978 by Plume (first published March 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Major Prose Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Major Prose Plays

Acacia
Most people seem to find Ibsen absolutely insufferable. His plays can be exceedingly difficult to watch, but I find them absolutely wonderful to read. Particularly "Peer Gynt" and "Master Builder". When you read Ibsen, just bear in mind... it's all about syphilis. Seriously.
علی
نمایش نامه های هنریک ایبسن مانند زندگی اش پر از فراز و نشیب اند. منتقدانی بودند که او را به راستی ستودند و نقادانی هرگز از او و آثارش خوششان نیامد. ایبسن به معنایی که دکتر امیر حسین آریانپور در کتاب "ایبسن آشوب گرای" گفته، چه در زندگی و چه در آثارش هم چون یک آنارشیست جلوه می کند. با وجودی که گفته اند از زمان شکسپیر به این سو دیگر زمان تراژدی سر آمده، برخی از منتقدان بر این عقیده اند که ایبسن تنها نمایش نامه نویسی ست که برخی از آثارش مانند اشباح و هداگابلر به تراژدی به معنای ارسطویی و شکسپیری آن ...more
Alex
I love Ibsen. Although I had only read the play, A Doll's House, before my Scandinavian Lit class in college, I was not disappointed with his other works. His other plays are wonderful -- I especially like Ghosts.
In the end, I am particularly drawn to A Doll's House because it is one of the first feminist plays -- I eventually named my daughter after the main character!
So if you only read one Ibsen work, read A Doll's House, but if you like it, don't stop there!
Maggie Lorenz
Ibsen has carefully detailed each of his characters movements thoughts and responses and providing tragic and honest circumstances of women and love during the time. I always enjoy when we dead awaken, particularly.
Michaela
To be frank, Realism isn't quite my thing. But the plays are good, and fun to read for the most part. Don't know if I'll ever read them for fun, but if I ever do, I'll let you know how it goes.
Libby
Apr 24, 2008 Libby rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aspiring playwrights and actors.
Shelves: plays
For all that performing Ibsen goes in and out of style, his influence is as undeniable as his craft is superb. Want to write plays? Read Ibsen, write a five-act play, then conquer the world.
Blanche
I'm going to have to put down each play separately, to count towards my 50 book total for the year, but I'm reading them out of this edition. All I can say is... Ibsen, you are a master.
jordan
I love all of these plays--Ibsen is brilliant. The last four plays of the cycle are more dense and abstract the the rest, but well worth the effort.
Chris Brimmer
Amazing how different plays read than novels. I think reading then seeing them enhances the appreciation of drama.
Risa
Jul 18, 2012 Risa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Ibsen: The Complete Major Prose Plays by Henrik Ibsen (1978)
Victoria
my second favorite playwright. love how far ahead of his time he was.
Elise
Best translator of Ibsen
Emy
Emy marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Justine J Sheu
Justine J Sheu marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Kathy
Kathy added it
Jun 09, 2015
Willard Brickey
Willard Brickey marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Rachel
Rachel added it
May 24, 2015
DZ
DZ marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
  • Five Plays: The Father / Miss Julie / The Dance of Death / A Dream Play / The Ghost Sonata
  • The Complete Plays
  • Intimate Apparel - Acting Edition
  • Six Plays: The Children's Hour / Days to Come / The Little Foxes / Watch on the Rhine / Another Part of the Forest / The Autumn Garden
  • Hurlyburly
  • The Birthday Party & The Room
  • Three Plays: The Wasps / The Poet and the Women / The Frogs
  • Greek Tragedies, Vol. 2: Aeschylus: The Libation Bearers; Sophocles: Electra; Euripides: Iphigenia in Tauris, Electra, The Trojan Women
  • Naked Masks: Five Plays
  • The Plays of Anton Chekhov
  • Complete Plays and Prose
  • The Knight of the Burning Pestle
  • A Bright Room Called Day
  • Camino Real
  • Greek Tragedies Vol. 3: Aeschylus: The Eumenides; Sophocles: Philoctetes, Oedipus at Colonus; Euripides: The Bacchae, Alcestis
  • Baal
  • Three Plays: Juno and the Paycock / The Shadow of a Gunman / The Plow and the Stars
  • Passion Play (TCG Edition)
Henrik Johan Ibsen was a major Norwegian playwright largely responsible for the rise of modern realistic drama. He is often referred to as the "father of modern drama." Ibsen is held to be the greatest of Norwegian authors and one of the most important playwrights of all time, celebrated as a national symbol by Norwegians.

His plays were considered scandalous to many of his era, when Victorian valu
More about Henrik Ibsen...
A Doll's House Hedda Gabler Ghosts Four Major Plays: A Doll's House / Ghosts / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder An Enemy of the People