Start by marking “The Complete Major Prose Plays” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Complete Major Pro...

Henrik Ibsen

The Complete Major Prose Plays

This title includes the following works: Pillars of Society, A Doll's House, Ghosts, An Enemy of the People, The Wild Duck, Rosmerholm, The Lady from the Sea, Hedda Gabler, The Master Builder, Little Eyolf, John Gabriel Borkman, and When We Dead Awaken.
Published April 3rd 1978 by Plume (first published March 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Major Prose Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Major Prose Plays

Acacia
May 31, 2007 Acacia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most people seem to find Ibsen absolutely insufferable. His plays can be exceedingly difficult to watch, but I find them absolutely wonderful to read. Particularly "Peer Gynt" and "Master Builder". When you read Ibsen, just bear in mind... it's all about syphilis. Seriously.
Keith
Feb 22, 2015 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partial-read
I have a love/hate relationship with Ibsen. Second in stature only to Shakespeare, one must recognize his genius of dramatic construction and his bravery in bringing social injustices and inequalities to light. He was pivotal in puncturing the haughty moralism of late 19th century western culture. And he practically invented naturalism/realism in the theatre.

But in these accomplishments, I feel that his domestic tragedies are emotionally manipulative, displaying a morally ambiguous melodrama in
Ali
May 01, 2007 Ali rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
نمایش نامه های هنریک ایبسن مانند زندگی اش پر از فراز و نشیب اند. منتقدانی بودند که او را به راستی ستودند و نقادانی هرگز از او و آثارش خوششان نیامد. ایبسن به معنایی که دکتر امیر حسین آریانپور در کتاب "ایبسن آشوب گرای" گفته، چه در زندگی و چه در آثارش هم چون یک آنارشیست جلوه می کند. با وجودی که گفته اند از زمان شکسپیر به این سو دیگر زمان تراژدی سر آمده، برخی از منتقدان بر این عقیده اند که ایبسن تنها نمایش نامه نویسی ست که برخی از آثارش مانند اشباح و هداگابلر به تراژدی به معنای ارسطویی و شکسپیری آن ...more
Alex
Oct 17, 2009 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Ibsen. Although I had only read the play, A Doll's House, before my Scandinavian Lit class in college, I was not disappointed with his other works. His other plays are wonderful -- I especially like Ghosts.
In the end, I am particularly drawn to A Doll's House because it is one of the first feminist plays -- I eventually named my daughter after the main character!
So if you only read one Ibsen work, read A Doll's House, but if you like it, don't stop there!
Maggie Lorenz
Mar 16, 2010 Maggie Lorenz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ibsen has carefully detailed each of his characters movements thoughts and responses and providing tragic and honest circumstances of women and love during the time. I always enjoy when we dead awaken, particularly.
jordan
Jun 07, 2007 jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all of these plays--Ibsen is brilliant. The last four plays of the cycle are more dense and abstract the the rest, but well worth the effort.
Blanche
Feb 26, 2011 Blanche rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
I'm going to have to put down each play separately, to count towards my 50 book total for the year, but I'm reading them out of this edition. All I can say is... Ibsen, you are a master.
Victoria
Sep 26, 2008 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my second favorite playwright. love how far ahead of his time he was.
Chris Brimmer
May 29, 2009 Chris Brimmer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
Amazing how different plays read than novels. I think reading then seeing them enhances the appreciation of drama.
jenn
Apr 03, 2007 jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
genius.
Libby
Apr 24, 2008 Libby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aspiring playwrights and actors.
Shelves: plays
For all that performing Ibsen goes in and out of style, his influence is as undeniable as his craft is superb. Want to write plays? Read Ibsen, write a five-act play, then conquer the world.
Risa
Jun 10, 2009 Risa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Ibsen: The Complete Major Prose Plays by Henrik Ibsen (1978)
Elise
Mar 01, 2008 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best translator of Ibsen
Michaela
To be frank, Realism isn't quite my thing. But the plays are good, and fun to read for the most part. Don't know if I'll ever read them for fun, but if I ever do, I'll let you know how it goes.
Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna
Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2009
Maureen
Maureen rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2013
J
J rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Brandon K
Brandon K rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2017
S.E. Brandenburg
S.E. Brandenburg rated it it was ok
Dec 13, 2016
Adrian Cameron
Adrian Cameron rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2012
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2017
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2008
Robert Sutherland
Robert Sutherland rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Jess Law
Jess Law rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2017
Gabriel
Gabriel rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2012
Anne Thessen
Anne Thessen rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2008
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2008
Carlota Oliva
Carlota Oliva rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Jason Stotts
Jason Stotts rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Five Plays: The Father / Miss Julie / The Dance of Death / A Dream Play / The Ghost Sonata
  • Streamers
  • Naked Masks: Five Plays
  • Intimate Apparel - Acting Edition
  • The Birthday Party & The Room
  • Three Plays: Juno and the Paycock / The Shadow of a Gunman / The Plow and the Stars
  • Six Plays: The Children's Hour / Days to Come / The Little Foxes / Watch on the Rhine / Another Part of the Forest / The Autumn Garden
  • Complete Plays and Prose
  • Greek Tragedies, Vol. 2: Aeschylus: The Libation Bearers; Sophocles: Electra; Euripides: Iphigenia in Tauris, Electra, The Trojan Women
  • The Complete Plays of Gilbert and Sullivan
  • Three Plays: The Wasps / The Poet and the Women / The Frogs
  • Greek Tragedies Vol. 3: Aeschylus: The Eumenides; Sophocles: Philoctetes, Oedipus at Colonus; Euripides: The Bacchae, Alcestis
  • Camino Real
  • Baal
  • Homebody/Kabul
  • The Designated Mourner
  • The Arabian Nights
  • The Screens
Henrik Johan Ibsen was a major Norwegian playwright largely responsible for the rise of modern realistic drama. He is often referred to as the "father of modern drama." Ibsen is held to be the greatest of Norwegian authors and one of the most important playwrights of all time, celebrated as a national symbol by Norwegians.

His plays were considered scandalous to many of his era, when Victorian valu
More about Henrik Ibsen...