Start by marking “My Prison, My Home: One Woman's Story of Captivity in Iran” as Want to Read:
My Prison, My Home: One Woman's Story of Captivity in Iran

My Prison, My Home: One Woman's Story of Captivity in Iran

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  48 reviews
On December 31, 2006, sixty-seven-year-old scholar and grandmother Haleh Esfandiari was on her way home to the United States from Iran when she became the victim of a far-fetched conspiracy theory. On the suspicion that she was part of an American plot to bring “regime change” to Iran, the Intelligence Ministry detained, interrogated, and eventuallyarrested her. For the ne ...more
Published October 5th 2010 by Ecco (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about My Prison, My Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Prison, My Home

Melinda Elizabeth

My Prison, My Home, is a glimpse into the two worlds that Haleh lives in. Her discussion of her time as a prisoner in Iran is sensitive and calmly told, but there’s also a feeling that she’s holding back a little bit – rightly so, as though there is still a fear that she could be again held prisoner by her home country.

The paranoia and suspicions of the government and a culture of disagreement with the US leads the way for Haleh to be held on flimsy intimations of working with the CIA and secre
Alicia
This book was good for those (like me) who get depressed when they hear so much about the oppressions of the Middle East, but still feel like they should know *something* and be informed about the history of our relationship with that part of the world. The author does a great job of laying out why things are so tense between Iran and the U.S. and how things need to change.

She also talks quite a bit about the government of Iran, and why you are able to be held by one department while the another
Michael
I have the privilege of working to some extent with the author, whom I met as part of my work, before knowing of this amazing personal story. What she does is to weave between her family's history in Iran, the tragedy of the Islamic Republic and its failed relationships with the West, and her bizarre and frightening experience imprisoned for 106 days as a purported spy. The pieces that are most successful or her own narrative in the background of her family. Unfortunately the telling of Iranian ...more
DubaiReader
A touching story but too much detail.

Iranian American, Haleh Esfandiari was wrongly accused of spying for America, against Iran, and imprisoned for 105 days in the notorious Evin prison. She had made America her home and raised a family there with her Jewish husband, Saleh. She had been working as a teacher and advisor, endeavouring to improve understanding between the two countries.
Haleh, aged 69, was on a routine visit to her Austrian mother, still living in Iran (her Iranian father had passed
Ms. Online
Nov 25, 2009 Ms. Online is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
LOCKED UP
Nikki Keddie

Review of My Prison, My Home: One Woman's Story of Captivity in Iran
By Haleh Esfandiari
Ecco Books

Esfandiari's profoundly moving memoir goes beyond the limited story suggested in its subtitle to interweave a vivid autobiography and a brief history of Iran before and after the 1978–79 revolution. Potential readers should not be put off by fear of a depressing tale of horror; this is, above all, a story of faith—in the human capacity to withstand mistreatment and in what people
Donna Nix
Read this after finishing Roxana Saberi's book. They are very similar in terms of their prison and interrogation experiences. Saberi's focuses almost entirely on the prison story, this is more of a memoir covering her life and career. As such, it is dry in places, but worth the read for someone interested in the political and social developments in Iran since the time of the Shah.
Tanja
I really enjoyed reading this book. I am actually considering assigning parts of it to my students; Mrs. Esfandiari has managed to convey the rather complicated and complex history of American Iranian relations in a concise, informative and engaging manner. These historical sections are interspersed in her story -- from the initial robbery of her travel documents, to her interrogations, her eventual arrest and incarceration in Evin Prison, and finally her release. She did not spare in details an ...more
Penne Layton
I met Haleh when she was visiting. She is an amazing woman. Her book is well written and tells of her experience with being taken prisoner while visiting her mother in her homeland. How it felt to be in prison, day to day and not knowing what would happen to her. Inspirational to read about how strong your spirit can be to get you through really tough times.
Barbara
Haleh Esfandiari had many resources going for her that the majority of women in Iran do not. Her education, her partial European heritage, her incredibly strong role models, her family's relatively high social status and the support of a large, intelligent and well-connected academic community rallied round her enough to allow her to endure her ordeals. Still, her description of what she had to do to survive the interrogations, the restrictions, the eventual imprisonment that came following a sh ...more
Brad
It's tragic that there's a new genre of book about being imprisoned in Iran, but after reading Roxanna Saberi's account of her ordeal, I wanted to check out Haleh Efandiari's story. While these two women come from very different places, their stories are surprisingly similar -- from their love of the country and people of Iran to the horrible treatment they received at the hands of the country's current leaders.

In some ways, the stories aren't even about Iran -- they're about power and abuse of
Claire
Born in Iran, Haleh Esfandiari and her husband left Iran when the Islamist regime rose to power. In turns this is the story of Haleh's life in Iran (and in exile) and the chilling months spent detained and interrogated regarding her humanitarian work, that started in Iran before leaving and then with international organizations and foundations to promote mid-east/western understanding and womens' rights. Nicely edited, the story is not chronological but flows well as the story of her incarcerati ...more
Jb
It’s ludicrous to think that goons of the Islamic Republic of Iran thought they could intimidate a 67-year-old grandmother to confess that she was instigating a revolution. But that’s what they tried. Incarcerated in the notorious Evin prison, she wasted away physically under intense questioning. Although born in Iran, she later became an American citizen and friends gained international support to protest her unjust arrest. After four months she was released to return to the U.S. She recounts h ...more
Barbara
How does one survive incredible uncertainty and lack of control at the hands of a government? Haleh shares her ordeal in trying to return to the United States after visiting her mother in Iran. Robbed on her way to the airport, she soon concludes this was not a random event. The book explores how she was able to survive multiple interrogations as well as solitary confinement before being able to leave Iran. I was impressed as Haleh discusses how she was able to keep her composure and not deviate ...more
Doug
The story of an Iranian-American harassed and then imprisoned by the Islamic regime in Iran. At first there are no charges - she actually believes her first attack was an ordinary mugging. She must withstand lengthy solitary confinement and tremendous psychological pressure. It is interesting that she still seems to feel somewhat defensive about Iran, appearing to take offense when George W. Bush groups Iran in the "Axis of Evil." This despite her experiencing firsthand just what he was talking ...more
Blaise
I am interested in the country of Iran, I've read other books about peoples lives there and the whole Iranian revolution and how that went down is sort of fascinating to me.
Anyway, Esfandari is a good writer, she tells her story (which is messed up!) interweaving it with the some of the history of modern Iran, the Iran revolution and the changing relationship between the United States and Iran over the years.
Pattie
Wonderful read! Haley Esfandiari's account of her love for her country and sadness of where they are today was told so eloquently through her account of her ordeal. She did an outstanding job of weaving in history so the reader could really understand more of how Iran has shaped into who they unfortunately are today. I t never felt like blaming to me, just explaining. Highly recommend!
Leticia
This is a story about a woman who is held prisoner for many months in Iran while she is visiting her mother. The psychological turmoil they put her through was awful. It's amazing how this woman endured the ordeal at her age. I did find some of her writing a bit dry. Included was also a lot of historical content. The book did help me understand the political situation though.

Sabrina
This was a quick read; the details of her traumatic interrogation were gripping and apolitical. I was, however, concerned that this book might veer into a political narrative when I saw the cover (I really hate the cover, the shadowy veiled woman, and the imprisonment allusions applied to Muslim women in Muslim countries). She spared me all of that, thankfully.
Chade66
Having read "Reading Lolita in Tehran" it was interesting to read a book written by one of Nasfisi's students. She does a good job of mixing in the necessary political and military history into a personal narrative, giving you a good overview of what was happening and how things got to the point that it did. A much easier read than "Winter in Kabul".
Dena
Four months in solitary confinement, 8 months or more surveyed. This professor regains her life immediately after release.
Rita
Dec 12, 2009 Rita marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
MS. review says this memoir is moving and not depressing even tho describing prison experience in detail..
'She favors dialog and negotiation [with iran:] and sees US support for subversive activities as counterproductive'

Her 1997 book 'Reconstructed lives: women and Iran's Islamic Revolution' 'was well received' too.
While any story of a wrongly-imprisoned individual is disheartening, this memoir is unique in that you can sense the inner strength, resilience, and, quite frankly, stubbornness of Haleh in her journey towards freedom and returning to the USA. A memorable read that certainly makes you think.
Melanie
This book is well written, but a difficult read. Not because of the writing, but because of the subject matter. Esfandiari is a very strong woman to have gone though the interrogations and prison. I recommend this book to those wanting to understand more about the Iranian government.
Karen
This book about a woman's ordeal with the Iranian secret police and Evin Prison was decent but somehow kept me at arm’s length and I never did get really engaged. The part I enjoyed most was the background story of how her family adapted to changes in Iran over the years.
Eija
Journalistic memoir that mixes personal narrative with the political and military history of Iran. I was really touched by Esfandiari's story and her perseverance, and I felt like I was much more well informed about Iran and the country's political history.
Hali
Wow, this book makes me grateful to be living in the U.S. I was amazed at how the Iranian government questioned and then took Haleh Esfandiari to prison. She's one tough cookie. Haleh Esfandiari has written this book in a style that is easy to read.
Andrew Griffith
Haleh Esfandiari’s My Prison My Home is a powerful story of her imprisonment and interrogation in Iran, and her integrity, discipline and strength of character that allowed her to be one of the few who emerged with her dignity intact.
Amy
This is a book that reminds us of how much real freedom we do have here in the United States. It is illustrates how people can fabricate conspiracy theories when they just don't exist. A good recommended read.
Angelica
Fascinating story of incarceration in Evin, Tehran. Is also woven with a history of Iran's revolution and US relations. I learned so much that puts news of Iran into context. I highly recommend to anyone interested.
Kathy Chung
Jul 30, 2011 Kathy Chung added it
Shelves: memoir
Reviewed at :Mama Kucing Meow :My Prison, My Home by Haleh Esfandiari

It's up to personal taste
  • Even After All This Time: A Story of Love, Revolution, and Leaving Iran
  • We Are Iran: The Persian Blogs
  • Neither East Nor West: One Woman's Journey Through the Islamic Republic of Iran
  • My Sister, Guard Your Veil; My Brother, Guard Your Eyes: Uncensored Iranian Voices
  • Saffron Sky: A Life between Iran and America
  • Honeymoon in Tehran: Two Years of Love and Danger in Iran
  • Mirrors of the Unseen: Journeys in Iran
  • Persian Girls
  • My Life as a Traitor: An Iranian Memoir
  • Daughter of Persia: A Woman's Journey from Her Father's Harem Through the Islamic Revolution
  • Treacherous Alliance: The Secret Dealings of Israel, Iran, and the United States
  • Iran Awakening
  • Women Without Men: A Novel of Modern Iran
  • My Name Is Iran
Haleh Esfandiari is a distinguished Iranian-American public intellectual. The founding director of the Woodrow Wilson Center’s Middle East Program, she is the former deputy secretary general of the Women’s Organization of Iran and has taught at Princeton University. She has worked in Iran as a journalist and is the author of Reconstructed Lives: Women and Iran’s Islamic Revolution and My Prison, M ...more
More about Haleh Esfandiari...
Reconstructed Lives: Women and Iran's Islamic Revolution My Prison The Economic Dimensions Of Middle Eastern History: Essays In Honor Of Charles Issawi Iran In Latin America   Threat Or 'Axis Of Annoyance'? (#23)