Le ciel est partout

Le ciel est partout

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  32,218 ratings  ·  3,590 reviews
Un amour brûlant, une perte dévastatrice, Lennie lutte pour trouver sa propre mélodie. Alors que Bailey, sa soeur, sa meilleure amie, vient de mourir, comment continuer ? A-t-elle le droit de plaire, elle aussi ? De désirer Toby? D'être heureuse sans Bailey ? Et comment ose-t-elle rire encore ? Parfois, il faut tout perdre pour se trouver...
Published May 17th 2010 by Gallimard Jeunesse (first published March 9th 2010)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Each time someone dies, a library burns.

First of all, let me just say that reading this as an ebook is a crime against literature and should be punished as such. The edition I’m holding resembles a diary with its worn cover, wonderful illustrations, little handwritten notes, blue ink and a rubber band holding it all together. It is, without a shadow of a doubt, the prettiest book I’ve ever seen. If you can’t get your hands on a paper edition, wait until you do or you’ll be robbing yourself of t...more
~Tina~
This is more of a ramble then a review, so bare with me.

After reading this book, my emotions were kinda everywhere at once.
There are a lot of different ways that people grieve when they loss someone they love.
Lennie unconsciously and purposely explores her sexuality with not one but two guys in her life. Joe is the new boy in town, talented musician and all around swoon-worthy while Toby just happens to be her sister boyfriend.
There is a very fine line to right and wrong that Lennie is treading...more
Lisa O.
Yesterday, searching for something "light" to read, I picked up The Sky Is Everywhere. Funny how I needed to relax and ended up not being able to put it down until I finished the last page, at 2am.

Lennie Walker is a teenage clarinetist whose beloved sister, Bailey, suddenly dies of a heart failure. This is the story of her journey through grief and loss, through teenage hormones and love, through family and friendship, in the quest to eventually find her true self and survive her sister's death....more
Tatiana
Sep 02, 2010 Tatiana rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of extra-emo YA
The Sky Is Everywhere is undoubtedly a beautifully written book. Its emotional prose and the story itself will resonate with many (female) readers. You have grief here, the main character's journey to live with it, her inability to sort out her feeling for two guys - her dead sister's fiancee, who understands and shares her feelings perfectly, and a new boy in town, whose sheer presence makes her forget her pain. A generous amount of passion will entice many too. But for me it never quite worked...more
Nic
Favourite Quote: 'I look into his sorrowless eyes and a door in my heart blows open. And when we kiss, I see that on the other side of that door is the sky.'

This review is not going to be like normal because The Sky Is Everywhere is so STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL it hard to get the words out. So I thought I use some pictures to help express my thoughts.

description

The Sky Is Everywhere made my heart ache. The above picture pretty much sums up Lennie's life and also the way it made me feel while reading it. My emot...more
Arlene
Sometimes you must lose everything to find yourself.

Jandy Nelson’s debut novel The Sky is Everywhere is an absolute must read for YA readers. I breezed through this book in one sitting, and I’m still going over in my heart and in my mind all the emotions this book made me feel about the complexities of grief and loss.

Surprisingly enough, there were moments this book had me laughing out loud… literally guffawing and I’m not one prone to bursting out in hysterics, but Lennie’s analogies and mental...more
Allison (The Allure of Books)
This book is, quite simply, stunning. Magical, hilarious, heart breaking, passionate, real...seriously. It has captivated me and left me a slobbering, stuttering cheeseball in its wake.

I have so much I want to say about it, but at the same time I want to keep all my thoughts to myself and say only that this might be the best book I have ever read...or very high up the list anyway.

Within two pages, I had a huge grin on my face. Within ten pages I had probably laughed about seven times. Within twe...more
Keertana
The Sky is Everywhere is the type of novel that makes me devastated that I only know five languages. You see, perhaps if I knew more words in different languages I could find that one perfect word to describe what this book is. All I know is that it doesn’t exist in the English language. Nelson’s debut is a raw, visceral experience, one that you need to live through yourself to understand its beauty. It’s the type of novel that makes me realize that I’ve been looking at the world the wrong way a...more
Summer {is puntastic}
"You can tell your story any way you damn well please.
It’s your solo.”

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Personal story time!

I have a little sister, who’s five years old, and was diagnosed with mild autism. Despite the 10-year age difference, I do consider her my best friend and am fiercely protective of her. If anything were to ever happen to her, I know I’d go batshit crazy.

A few years ago, we were at my cousin’s house, and in their backyard was a pool. Not the best place for an autistic kid with li...more
Tammara
This is one of those books you want to read with both hands over your eyes, peeking through your fingers. The horrible thing has already happened when the book opens, right? Lennon's sister died four weeks ago. Cue a vivid slice of the grief process for her, Gram, and Uncle Big, the three left behind when Bailey dies. But then there is Bailey's grief-stricken boyfriend, Toby. There is Lennie's sudden, inexplicable desire to make out with every cute boy who crosses her path. And then there's the...more
Emily
As Sarah would say... Holy horses!

The Sky is Everywhere is Lennie's story, the story of how she deals with life without her sister, Bailey. What results is an emotional rollercoaster of a journey. Jandy Nelson defies genres, as this book is part romantic comedy, part mystery and part magic realism. It seems to be tucked up in its own little corner of the YA world.

And that, I think, is part of its brilliance.

Some things to keep in mind:
- The characters are sweet, loveable and unique. Yes, you...more
Sita Sargeant
Nov 05, 2011 Sita Sargeant rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ...?
Recommended to Sita by: Megan
Truthfully this really isn't even a review. IT's more of a list of questions and comments. SO if you actually like the book. I recommend turning away. Cause this is sort of a hate review.

HATE/STRONGLY DISLIKE
1) Screwed up love triangle.
2) Screwed up characters
3) Screwed up plot
4) I know that the character was grieving. But really?
5) Really?
6) Setting

ACTUALLY LIKE
1) Writing. It was really good and beautiful
2) Dead sister

OKAY
1) Concept (author maybe pulled it off)

See that was my hate list. Any...more
Annalisa
Sep 14, 2010 Annalisa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annalisa by: Joanna
Some beautiful, lyrical prose about love and loss and growing up. It had some great lines and great emotions. It's a little too Bohemian love story for my taste, but the characters were lovable and quirky and I liked them anyway. (On a side note, if I have to read one more story about a teenage girl whose favorite book is Wuthering Heights and she's read every classic out there, I'm going to poke my eyes out. Okay, the Wuthering Heights obsession worked on Lennie, but it would have worked better...more
Kim
TBR Reduce Challenge #1- 2011: Arlene

I'm so so so sorry Arlene, but I'm in 50% and I still don't like the book. I really tried.

I don't sympathize with Lennie, I don't get her Toby thing, I don't feel her loss or her pain. It's like watching a movie without sound: you see what's happening, but you don't really get into it because something important is missing.

I wanted to like this so much because so many of my friends loved this.
Jo
Sep 16, 2011 Jo marked it as gave-up-on  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boy-crush, on-hold, ya, e, own
The flowery language/metaphors ((view spoiler)) were so distracting and exhausting. They didn't fit with the characters/story line at all. It was like this book couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a funny book (all the cheekychappy asides, chats about boners etc) or a sadtime book.
I found the contrast too jarring.

Reading this book was like eating a bowl of potpourri.
It seems like it would be a good idea, in...more
Nomes
So I saw a fair few raves about this and, had just come out of a bit of a binge read of grief-type books, so I thought I wasn't in the mood for another one... somehow, (I think partly the cute trailer), I caved.

But this book, IMO, is in a whole league of it's own.

The writing is intensely beautiful. Oh - I did some serious sentence-crushing. Reading this was like being submerged in emotion and love and all things wild and mad and crazy and the grief was just so poignant and the feelings so real t...more
Zemira Warner
Nov 02, 2011 Zemira Warner rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All my Goodreads palls
Recommended to Zemira Warner by: Those Aussie reviewers got me hooked on other great books so I just thought this was another one and I was right.
First of all let me say that if any of you are planning to read this book,please buy the UK edition. It was the most beautiful book I ever held in my hands. Miss Ivashkov here are pictures,as I promised. :) Those are some of Lennie's poems.

Photobucket Photobucket

I know you hear this line everywhere but I am going to say it anyhow. I can't quite explain why this book was so good,it just is. Jandy Nelson's writing style is just wonderful. I felt like she lost someone very important in her life so she was able to wri...more
Kristy
"My sister will die over and over again for the rest of my life. Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes a part of you, step for step, breath for breath. I will never stop grieving Bailey because I will never stop loving her. That's just how it is. Grief and love are conjoined, you don't get one without the other. All I can do is love her, and love the world, emulate her by living with daring spirit and joy."

I connect with the book whole-heartedly. I find the above snip-it to be so incr...more
Susane Colasanti
The Sky Is Everywhere evokes the intensity of desire and agony of heartache with breathtaking clarity. This beautifully written story will leave an indelible impression upon your soul.
Melannie :)
Although I had HIGH expectations for this one, and I still think it doesn't live up to the hype, I found myself smiling as I read the last words.

And it's because despite of it all, I think the book well written.

But the characters, oh the characters, I didn't get them (no wait, I did get Joe, I think he's awesome) even though they were very three-dimensional, (I'm talking about Lennie here) I just couldn't swallow her, to me she was just a pathetic, little selfish brat with no life or personality...more
caren

The Sky Is Everywhere was one of the first books I read in 2011, and still to this day, it’s stayed with me. Every time someone asks me for a recommendation, it’s the first one I mention. I really want everyone to love this book just as much as I did, and luckily everyone who has taken my rec hasn’t come back disappointed!

The summary up above pretty much explains it all. Lennie is facing the aftermath of her sister’s death and learning how to cope with a life that Bailey no longer exists in.

Mixe...more
Heather
The Sky is Everywhere is a bit of an oddity. I can’t pinpoint how it made me feel to read it, and I think that may be why I liked it.

Lennie, aka John Lennon, is struggling to cope with her sister Bailey’s sudden death. At 16, Lennie has never been the sole focus of her own life. She’s always been eclipsed by the vibrance of her older sister, or so Lennie thinks. Nevertheless, Lennie has always adored Bailey, just as much if not more than anyone else. She simply doesn’t know how to be without Bai...more
Bonnie
“The first thing I notice is the sky, so full of blue and the kind of brilliant white clouds that make you ecstatic to have eyes. Nothing can go wrong under this sky...”

A big thank you to Maja and Lisa for hosting the contest which got me a copy of this book. (The good copy that is diary-esque, with all of Lennie's handwritten notes that she left all over town, and even a blue band to keep all the pages together.)

Despite the fact that I've had this book on my TBR list for quite some time, I'm...more
Jessie
3.5 - 4 stars

This book totally left a huge smile on my face. I love how Lennie started standing up for herself. I love how Lennie realised how to live with the grief and combine it with love. I love how she started caring about everyone around her. I love the romance between Lennie and Joe. I just loved everything!
Whitney
tissue count: 7

this book was so freakin fantastic, one of my new favorites.
like, up-at-1:30-AM-crying-because-it's-so-good favorite
Jake Rideout
I don't have time to write a book review. I really don't. However, I also didn't have time to start a book last night, lay awake until all hours reading it, wake up, devour it during my commute, read a few pages during recess and lunch, and finish it as soon as I got home, pushing a huge assessment and lesson plans to the wayside.

But I did all of those things.

The book is called The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson, and if you are a human being (or similar) you should read it. It comes out tomor...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Amber Gibson for TeensReadToo.com

Lennie and Bailey are sisters, best friends, everything to each other. Their mother took off when they were just babies, which Gram has always attributed to the "restless gene" that runs in the family.

When Bailey, vivacious and fiery Bailey, dies of a heart arrhythmia while rehearsing for Romeo & Juliet, Lennie is utterly lost. Without Bailey's guidance, smothering affection, and her untameable spirit, Lennie doesn't know what to do. She has alway...more
oliviasbooks
It's beautifully written. Therefore anything less than three stars seems to be pretty unfair. Plus I can understand Lennie's actions and I like her memories of her sister and the closeness between them (mostly conveyed in compact prose). But still, I didn't manage to connect with Lennie, which made reading the book harder and harder. I stopped at page 69 and browsed through the rest.
Downloading and reading sample chapters should be the right thing for me and my purse. But the method does not re...more
Lisa
Love, love, love, love, LOVE this book!
Liz
“The sky is everywhere, it begins at your feet.”

I read this book during my train-rides home and I must say, it was perfect for this mini-journeys filled with the warmth of the slowly sinking sun, the smell of croissants and the feeling of inner peace.

Bailey has always been the active one, the sister who was off doing and saying what she wanted and whenever she wanted while Lennie has happily lived in the shadows.
When Bailey dies Lennie is left alone, feeling like she doesn't belong and nobod...more
  • Saving June
  • I'll Be There
  • Split
  • Hold Still
  • Sweethearts
  • The Mockingbirds (The Mockingbirds, #1)
  • Chasing Brooklyn
  • The Probability of Miracles
Jandy Nelson received a BA from Cornell, an MFA from Brown in poetry, and another MFA from Vermont College in writing for children and young adults. A literary agent for many years, she is also a published poet. The Sky Is Everywhere is her first novel. Jandy lives in San Francisco. www.jandynelson.com, www.theskyiseverywhere.com
More about Jandy Nelson...
I'll Give You the Sun Fall Boys & Dizzy in Paradise

“My sister will die over and over again for the rest of my life. Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes a part of you, step for step, breath for breath. I will never stop grieving Bailey because I will never stop loving her. That's just how it is. Grief and love are conjoined, you don't get one without the other. All I can do is love her, and love the world, emulate her by living with daring and spirit and joy.” 701 likes
“The sky is everywhere, it begins at your feet.” 610 likes