Start by marking “Miss Julia Stands Her Ground” as Want to Read:
Miss Julia Stands Her Ground

Miss Julia Stands Her Ground (Miss Julia #7)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,987 ratings  ·  97 reviews
The feisty Miss Julia returns to set things right in her seventh hilarious adventure Miss Julia has charmed and captivated fans of humorous Southern tales through six rollicking novels, and now, in "Miss Julia Stands Her Ground," she faces her most daunting challenge yet. Hazel Marie's troublemaking uncle, Brother Vernon Puckett, has just swept into town and questioned Lit ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Miss Julia Stands Her Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Julia Stands Her Ground

Anne Hawn Smith
This book is entertaining, but a the back flash of Christmas is a little confusing. I was listening using an audiobook and I wasn't sure if it had been recorded wrong. Nevertheless, it was entertaining as are all the books in the series.

When Hazel Marie's dastardly uncle comes back, he wrecks havoc with the household. He is bound and determined to prove that little Lloyd is not Wesley Lloyd's son and not heir to the Springer money. No one can figure what he has up his sleeve, but it causes the u
Dawn Branch
The adventures of Miss Julia is captured by Ann B. Ross in this popular series. While this is not high literature, I thoroughly enjoy the situations that Miss Julia finds herself in. She is like a madcap Angela Lansbury careening through her small southern town trying to please everyone while dealing with her many personal crazy friends and relations. These are hilarious and often you can't put them down. I don't know why they never made this into a comedy series.
Judy
This is my first Miss Julia. I love the way the author takes a character, Miss Julia, with oodles of flaws (snobby, out-of-touch with the real world) and grows her into a loving, generous person.

I doubt if I will listen to any other books in this series because there is so much recapping of previous stories it would drive me batty. In this case, being my first of these books, it was helpful...but I would tire of it after my second, third, fourth books, etc.
Snap
I really enjoy the Miss Julia series. Some really good Southern humor and Miss Julia is an older woman ... someone I can relate to with my advancing age!
Bobbie Ann
Read by Cynthia Darlow. Pleasant, simple. Brother Vernon Puckett challenges paternity of young Lloyd.
Carolee
This is a "must read" for mature women and all those that wish to understand them. Miss Julia is a lovely southern belle in comtemporary times. She is widowed from a disappointing long term marriage that continues to haunt her into her new marriage. Miss Julia is the perfect southern, Christian woman; so forgiving and suuportive of all the people that her deceased husband used and discarded before his sudden death. His rich estate left Miss Julia carefree except for the fatherless son that fortu ...more
Jill
I'm starting to love that no one asks direct questions and tries so hard to spare everyone's feelings, thus resulting in even more confusion and misunderstanding.
Debra
It was hard to follow the book at first, as it switched back and forth between the current time and what had gone on in the past. But I really enjoyed the book and the ending!
Virma
If you love- " I Love Lucy" then Miss Julia Books are for you! Hilarious hi-jinks!
Kathy
Fun fluff book about a sassy southern 60+ woman and her prim and proper antics.
Donna LaValley
In #7 or #8, Hazel Marie’s uncle, smarmy televangelist Uncle Vern, reappears, claiming Little Lloyd (now at least 12) was not, in fact, fathered by Miss Julia’s late first husband. He therefore denounces Hazel Marie a wicked, fallen woman who has inveigled her way into the cushy Miss Julia household. This is Brother Vern’s third attempt to gain control of Little Lloyd’s share of the Springer estate. Hazel Marie’s sketchy past troubles both Miss Julia and Hazel Marie anew, but of course paternity ...more
Sandy
Book #7 in the series. It starts out with the delightful humor of the first one, but about midway the author decides to take a lengthy flashback that breaks the rhythm and tension of the plot. It almost felt like Ross decided to fill in some holes that she wished had been included in the first few books. The resolution was a bit too neat and the idea that Hazel Marie would stand up to a man lying about her character but NOT stand up to the man trying to take her son away from her was preposterou ...more
Mary-Frances
not as cute as the others...but still a fun read.
Alice
This may have been the best Miss Julia book so far. Simply because the middle portion of the book is a flash back to the first Christmas Miss Julia spent with Little Lloyd and his mom. Very touching.
Joelle Anthony
I still enjoy these books, but honestly, they usually are based on a premise that could be cleared up if Julia would just ask the right questions of the right people. Also, while the solution did have a bit of a twist, it was pretty clear early on what the answer was generally, if not exactly. What I liked about this book was that the whole middle went back to the first Christmas they all spent together, which was not in any other book, and it was very sweet. I'll keep reading these, but only on ...more
Cheryl Taylor garant
Flashbacks were a bit annoying but since they were about Christmas......
Irene
Wish she lived in my neighborhood
Kristen
Just when Miss Julia is settling nicely into married life with Sam, another upset comes her way, this time in the form of Hazel Marie's conniving Uncle Vernon who claims that Little Lloyd is not the son of Miss Julia's dearly departed first husband Wesley Lloyd and that Hazel Marie has duped everyone for a piece of the dead man's estate. In order to prove this evangelist uncle wrong Miss Julia may have to dig her dead husband up. Miss Julia has spunk and the get up and go any firey Southern woma ...more
Nancy
The Miss Julia books are fun and light hearted. I have listened to several of them on audiobooks, while I am driving. Miss Julia is a southern lady. She was widowed, and learned that her husband had fathered a son, whom he had left everything in his will. Miss Julie is intitled to half of her former husbands estate, which is more than she will ever spend. She had the boy and his mother come and live with her, and they become her family. She does all that she can to help teach them, and to protec ...more
Lisa
Another good read, however, not quite as gripping and involved as those prior. Only one major plot here, concerning Little Lloyd's parentage, with a minor subplot which never really gets developed very well, concerning Miss Julia's leadership at her church. However, there is a great flashback to a story we never were told before, the family's first Christmas together, which is a wonderful sidebar taking a good chunk of the book. I'm already into the next!
Patty
Miss Julia and her family are facing problems again. This time Hazel Marie's uncle is back, trying to get his hands on Little Lloyd's inheritance and Miss Julia is determined to stop him, once and for all! With the assistance of Sam, Lillian and modern science it might actually happen this time.

I do enjoy this series, even if it really isn't about mysteries anymore. The characters are fun and I enjoy spending time with them.
Julie Baker
As always, a fun read. Ilove Miss Julia and all her fammily and adventures!!
E.
The nefarious Vernon Puckett is out to discredit his niece Hazel Marie by besmirching her reputation even more. Miss Julia is not about to allow him to harm someone she considers part of her family. Reminiscing about the first Christmas Hazel Marie and Little Lloyd came into her life reminds her of how much she has to be thankful for, including Sam's perserverance.
Carol
Another great Miss Julia book - Ann Ross had a great idea when she started writing the Miss Julia series. I enjoyed the flashback moments to Miss Julia's 1st Xmas with Hazel Marie and Little Lloyd. The insight into her former life with Little Lloyd's father portrayed the changes her new family brought to her life. I look forward to reading the next in the series.
Nikki Nielsen
Mar 24, 2008 Nikki Nielsen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mom, Aunt Bonnie
I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Miss Julia, an older southern woman with strong values and a very old fashioned way of thinking.

The story is written from Miss Julia's point of view, and I loved that her heart is softened and she changes from a bitter stingy old woman to a loving and generous friend.

I plan to read the rest of the Miss Julia series.
Peggy Sinden
As usual Miss Julia has some continuing theme that takes you through turmoil and trying terms from beginning to the end. This book is no different and it is worth the time to go on the trip with her. Proving beyond a shadow of a dought that Little Lloyd is who he is for once and forever. This trip is a bumpy ride so hang on,enjoy, and you'll be glad you did.
Jayme
The reason I liked this book so much was because I was listening to the audio version with Cynthia Darlow. She does the most wonderful southern voices for all of these characters. Thankfully the library has a lot of downloadable audiobooks with her narrating. The narration makes Miss Julia's adventures seem so much more interesting and exciting.
DJ
Love Miss Julia!
Debra
The narration and time frame of this cozy was incongruous. The voice and vocabulary read like it is set in the Victorian age so imagine my surprise when pop culture references about George Clooney and Tupperware appeared. It has its moments but if it had not been a selection in one of my book clubs I probably wouldn't have finished it.
Shannon
Miss Julia is a feisty old Christian lady who made me laugh out loud many times. She's famous for putting people in their place - especially those who need it. This is the follow-up to Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind, but you don't have to read it to follow along or enjoy this one! It's a very fun read if you're looking for something light.
  • Dearest Dorothy, Help! I've Lost Myself!  (Dearest Dorothy, #3)
  • Almost Friends: A Harmony Novel (Harmony, #7)
  • The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Ladies of Covington, #1)
  • Sleeping at the Starlite Motel: and Other Adventures on the Way Back Home
  • The Christmas Letters
  • The Quilter's Homecoming (Elm Creek Quilts, #10)
  • A New Song (Mitford Years, #5)
  • Murder Runs in the Family (Southern Sisters Mystery, #3)
  • Sisterchicks Say Ooh La La! (Sisterchicks, #5)
  • Murder-Go-Round: Thirteen at Dinner, The A.B.C. Murders, Funerals are Fatal
Ann B. Ross, who taught literature at the University of North Carolina at Asheville, is the author of Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind, one of the most popular Southern debut novels in years, Miss Julia Takes Over, Miss Julia Throws a Wedding, and Miss Julia Hits the Road. She lives in Hendersonville, North Carolina.
More about Ann B. Ross...
Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (Miss Julia, #1) Miss Julia Takes Over (Miss Julia, #2) Miss Julia Meets Her Match (Miss Julia, #5) Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia, #4) Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (Miss Julia, #3)