Simmer Down (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #2)

Simmer Down (A Gourmet Girl Mystery #2)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  493 ratings  ·  43 reviews
National bestselling author Elaine Viets says the Gourmet Girl mysteries have "all the right ingredients!"

Chloe Carter's boyfriend, Josh Driscoll, is prepping for the opening of Simmer, Boston's hottest new restaurant. But at a fund-raiser featuring samples of Josh's cuisine, a trendy club owner is found bludgeoned to death-by Josh's state-of-the-art, professional-grade fo...more
Published March 4th 2008 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published March 6th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Simmer Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simmer Down

Holly Booms Walsh
This is a culinary mystery chick-lit combination. It's a lot lighter than say, the Diane Mott Davidson books, and might be perfect for the chick-lit set or younger reader. I thought it was a bit of a yawn, with too much "clean" romance and simple plot.
Christy
Hard to get into and remained quite boring. I kept with it as i remembered liking the first book, but ugh, this one was painful! And the ending? -total dud. I can't even say it was "ok" because the ending was so blah- that it actually annoyed me!
Barbara
This is a fun book. If you're in the mood for a light mystery with a little food thrown in for good measure, you'll enjoy this series. This is the second in a series but I think you don't have to read the first to follow.
Carolyn
easy to read, fun characters but not as good as the Diane Mott Davidson books
BJ
"Simmer Down" is the second in the Gourmet Girl Mystery series by Jessica Conant-Park and her mother, Susan Conant. I really enjoyed the first book in this series, but this one fell a little short and I didn't like it quite as much, although I will probably go on and read the third to see how it goes. This one continues on with the main character, Chloe Carter and her chef/boyfriend introduced in the first book. Chloe is on winter break from the Boston City Graduate School of Social Work. As far...more
Diane  Morasco
How do you spell fun? S-i-m-m-e-r D-o-w-n! The 2nd installment in the delightful Gourmet Girl series is even zanier than the first. Conant~Park & Conant are more in sync & @ ease w/ their hilarious heroine Chloe. Let me tell you, friends, she is definitely full of energy. Spending time w/ Chloe is like hanging out w/ your bestie. I do my best not to sip anything while flipping the pages for fear of ruining the book... just a lil' warning ; ).

Simmer Down is as yummy as a brownie straight...more
Kristi
Chloe is more than excited for her chef boyfriend Josh Driscoll and the opening of Simmer. Josh will be the executive chef for Simmer so he has a lot on his plate! Thankfully, Chloe is there to be his wonderful supportive girlfriend. Chloe is busy with her own job at the Boston Organization Against Sexual and Other Harassment at the Workplace, which she calls the Organization and dealing with her quirky boss Naomi Campbell (no not that one!)

Chloe was lucky enough to book Simmer and the Organizat...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Being in the restaurant business can be hazardous to your health.

Chloe's witnessed murder before, but now it hits closer to home. Her new boyfriend, Josh, is preparing a menu for a new restaurant, which will open on New Year's Eve in Boston. Now that he has this great job lined up, Josh is no longer cooking for just two.

Trouble starts brewing at a fundraiser where Josh caters the party, previewing the new restaurant.

When a rival club owner turns...more
Sfdreams
Aug 13, 2007 Sfdreams rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: food enthusiasts, cozy mystery buffs
Shelves: reviewed
This was a fast and fun read. The writing is breezy and humorous. I really liked the characters, who funnily enough, sound like they are based on one of the authors and her husband! The other author, Susan Conant (mom to Jessica), also writes the dog-lovers series and the cat-lovers series, both of which I enjoy.

The main character, Chloe, is a social work student in Boston. Her uncle left a will leaving her all his money if she only went to school (on his dime) choose a profession, and graduate....more
Heather
Title: Simmer Down
Author: Jessica Conant-Park and Susan Conant
ISBN: 9780425213858
Publisher: Berkley Prime Crime

Synopsis: Chloe Carter's boyfriend, Josh Driscoll, is prepping for the opening of Simmer, Boston's hottest new restaurant. But at a fund-raiser featuring samples of Josh's cuisine, a trendy club owner is found bludgeoned to death-by Josh's state-of-the-art, professional-grade food processor, the ominously-named Robocoupe.

By opening night at Simmer, the list of suspects is almost longer...more
Christi
This second installment in the "Gourmet Girl" series was just ok. I was looking forward to seeing how Chloe grew and progressed as a character and how her chef boyfriend would enhance the storyline. I was disappointed to discover she was less likeable in book 2. There was no humor. There was no intrigue. There was no sense of urgency to find the killer. It was really all about Chloe hoping to celebrate New Years with Josh which was so unrealistic since he was kicking off a new restaurant that ni...more
James
Chloe Carter's boyfriend, Josh Driscoll, is prepping for the opening of Simmer, Boston's hottest new restaurant. Since the opening is New Year's Eve, everyone is very stressed. However at a fund-raiser featuring samples of Josh's cuisine, a trendy club owner, who also just happened to want the prime location of Josh's new restaurant, is found bludgeoned to death by Josh's state-of-the-art, professional-grade food processor, the ominously-named Robocoupe. Mix in the appearance of Josh's ex-girlfr...more
Michelle
This is the 2nd book in the Gourmet Girl series and continues the more light-hearted, younger vibe in the cozy mystery setting. Chloe is continuing her studies in social work, while her boyfriend Josh is gearing up for the opening of a new restaurant in a popular area of Boston. While excited for Josh, Chloe is worried that his new working hours will put a dent in their relationship. At a art/charity function, Chloe is manning the booth with her externship boss, Naomi when trouble arises. First...more
Kristen
In the second installment in the Gourmet Girl Mystery cozy series, Chloe Carter has a lot on her hands. While Chloe's working hard with her internship with Naomi, her boyfriend Josh is getting ready for his opening night at Simmer, his brand new restaurant, on New Year's Eve. Besides her own family drama and both her ex and Josh's return to the fold, her best friend Adrianna has her own crisis on her hands with her boyfriend Owen. On top of things, there's a lot of drama, when someone from the L...more
Holly
It was o.k. Not really much of a mystery- Chloe isn't exactly Miss Marple. She is just around for the action. Passive? Very PC. She is studying to be a social worker, has a boy friend, a gay friend, a married sister and her bff is pregnant by one guy (who has the job du jur) and making out ith another guy. I guess I missed the bisexul in the story. Chloe's boy friend Josh is an up and coming chef, he is showcasing his food at a charity event when an important foodie is murdered at the event. Who...more
Melissa
i like this new little series, mostly for the information about cooking. I'm a long time Food Network fan and my husband is pretty darn gourmet when it comes to cooking. So, this series is a fun read. I like the heroin less than I like Susan conant's Holly Winter but that could be because sh is a younger character. She sometimes is a little flighty and stupid but I suppose most young ladies in their 20s are a bit like that.
Tintri
I enjoyed this whole series. It is a cute little murder mystery that is more about following 'clues' and false leads than it is blood/gore/forensics etc. The main character is pretty likeable, though I am a wee bit jealous of her school/money agreement. I especially like the recipes included at the end. Some are a bit complex for someone of my non cooking ways, but they sound yummy and I aspire to them.
Liz
These books are quick cute reads. To me, they feel more like chick lit books than true mysteries. I feel like you never really have a chance to solve the mystery. The story seems to revolve more around Chloe and her life (specifically her love life). Since Chloe doesn't really investigate, the culprit could really be anyone. These short books are entertaining, but I've read better.
Anna
I liked it. This is second in a series and it's not bad. Easy reading. Conant-Park does a nice job building characters, though I wish there was depth to the protagonist. I'd recommend it for a quick, fun read.
Daniele
This is a quick, light read. It has been quite a while since I read the first book in this series but am pretty sure I enjoyed it more than this. There is not much of a mystery, and I cannot decide if I like Chloe...she seems terribly shallow and narcissistic. But, it is a fun read, and the talk of food makes me hungry.
Anjula
If you're going to call a series "Gourmet Girl," shouldn't the main character have some connection to food other than an all-consuming interest in her chef boyfriend. She appears to be interested in nothing other than furthering his career and talking about him. Her attitude towards her own grad school work is dismissive.
Michelle
Just alright. I lost interest about halfway through and skipped to the end. But I really really really really HATE the "return of the ex" plotline. I hate the doubting, suspicion, going behind their backs, the ex-girlfriend are always snotty hags who want the guy back, etc. Hate. Really.
Much like the first one . . . cute, a quick read. The literary equivalent of Chex Mix, but I would read more of them. Some times you just feel like Chex Mix.
Kimberly
Book 2 in the Gourmet Girl Mysteries. I was really looking forward to this book since I loved the first one, Steamed. Now I can't wait for the next one. This was definitely a fun and easy read. The characters are hilarious and the story is more than entertaining.
Mimi Arcala
This took me a little longer to read than the prequel...but it was nonetheless what I expected from a murder mystery...whodunit galore. Chloe is a riot and her scatterbrain thought processes made for good reading.
Liselle
This is the second book in the Gourmet Girl mysteries. I love them! They are quick reads with a good mystery and I'm really enjoying the characters which is important to me.
Heidi
I got two pages into this book and stopped reading because of the laungage. to many swears in such a short time. This will not be one book I attempt to read again.
Carol
This is just a fun, quick read. I like the characters, especially Chloe, Josh and Owen. There's a recipe in the back for a banana dessert that I have to try.
Shirl
This is the second book I have read by Conant and I really have enjoyed it. The talk of recipes and food makes me hungry, but I just keep reading.
Lora
I really loving this series. It's a simple mystery romance with the added bonus of food and restaurants. Perfect summer reading, very laid back.
The Hidden Review...: Simmer Down [Jessica Conant-Park] 1 8 Jan 15, 2013 02:38PM
  • Death Takes the Cake (A Della Cooks Mystery #2)
  • A Catered Murder (A Mystery with Recipes, #1)
  • Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1)
  • Silent Auction (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)
  • Sympathy for the Devil (Madeline Bean, #1)
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
  • Sew Deadly (A Southern Sewing Circle, #1)
  • Cooking Up Murder (A Cooking Class Mystery, #1)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • The Diva Paints the Town (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #3)
  • French Pressed (Coffeehouse Mystery, #6)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Prime Time
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • The Merlot Murders (Wine Country Mysteries #1)
  • Crime Brûlée (A Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery #1)
  • Brush With Death (An Art Lover's Mystery, #3)

NOTE: writes YA novels under Jessica Park.

Jessica Conant-Park graduated from Macalester College and has a master of Social Work degree from Boston College. She is married to Chef William Park. Steamed is the first collaboration in her new series with her mother, mystery author Susan Conant.

Books:
Cook the Books, February 2011
Cook the Books, March 2010
Fed Up, January 2010
Turn Up the Heat, February 2...more
More about Jessica Conant-Park...
Steamed (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #1) Turn Up the Heat (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #3) Fed Up (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #4) Cook the Books (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #5)