Start by marking “As You Wish” as Want to Read:
As You Wish

As You Wish (Genies #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  5,408 ratings  ·  717 reviews
Ever since Viola's boyfriend broke up with her, she has spent her days silently wishing—to have someone love her again and, more importantly, to belong again—until one day she inadvertently summons a young genie out of his world and into her own. He will remain until she makes three wishes.

Jinn is anxious to return home, but Viola is terrified of wishing, afraid she will n
Published April 27th 2010 by HarperTeen (first published November 10th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about As You Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As You Wish

Steph (Reviewer X)
I just...what the FUCK were they thinking when they designed the cover?

It seems to go from bad to worse in its progression from ARC to real book, frankly.
Kristi
I’ve admired Jackson as a writer before I even read her novel. And now that I’ve actually read one of her novels, the admiration continues. She’s a genius. Funny, off the wall, talented writer.

I loved Viola. I saw so much of myself in her, it was scary. Remembering how it feels to be absolutely invisible, and not even being able to see yourself clearly. Very real teen characters, dealing with even more realistic situations, you know, despite the whole magical aspect.

As You Wish is a light and
Michelle
With well-developed characters and a unique, seamlessly-written plot, Pearce lends weight to what could be, in less deft hands, a chick-lit cliche. Instead, As You Wish is a quick, enchanting read with unexpected depth and subtle but important messages about identity, self-respect, and what it means to really belong. A fantastic book for avid and reluctant readers alike!
oliviasbooks
**** Read for the first time December 24th - 25th 2009 ****

Reviewed on the first day of Christmas:
The year is almost over and, frankly, I did not expect to stumble across another perfect book. I believed my quota was full. Well, what is Christmas for, if not for miracles? 'As You Wish' is my kind of teenage urban fantasy love-story, Jinn is my kind of supernatural hero (I would have wished for him to stay as well, if I were sixteen) and Viola is the best kind of heroine (kind and funny with fl
Hilda
Viola Cohen wants to feel like she belongs to something bigger, someone special, someplace amazing. Ever since her boyfriend Lawrence broke up with her and announced that he’s a gay, she never feels the same anymore. She’s the Invisible Girl, the kind of girl who has a handful of close friends and many acquaintances, but doesn’t belong to anything. And now, she’s just sad all the time.

He’s a genie who comes to grant Viola’s wish. He’s good in genie standard: never breaks out rules, never gets to
Yan
Wow! It just seems that in the short of a few days I’ve uncovered a lost treasure trove of books. As You Wish was sweet but with a touch of sadness.

Viola goes through a breakup with a best friend since childhood because, you guessed it, he’s gay! It seems that all the good man are always gay, taken, or, you know, “mythical”. She goes through a change that leaves her sad, but just lonely. She can’t find her place where she belongs, giving herself the nickname Invisible Girl. Sure everyone’s nice
Nic
Loved it! When I bought this book, I just expected a sweet and fun read which it was but it also had alot of heart. It was not only a story about love but also about belonging and self image.

It is an effortless read that I didn't want to put down. I love the dual narration, allowing us to get to know both characters thoughts and feelings as they developed a friendship which then grew into love. Viola is a likeable and realistic character, feeling broken and invisible. Watching her grow and beco
Rebekah
TThe story was captivating and completely original. The writing was humorous in some areas and deep in others. It's on of the most perfect "light" reads ever! I wanted to read it again once I finished. I recommend this book for anyone.
Margaret Stohl

I read Jackson Pearce's AS YOU WISH back to back with Malinda Lo's ASH, and I'm going to write more about what an interesting experience that was when we review the books at length next week on the Beautiful Creatures site.

Quickly, though, it's amazing how smart and how different and how completely excellent two talented twists on loosely the same genre can be. More on that to come.

Jackson Pearce is a lightning-fast genius, funny, slick, who puts very real teen characters in the midst of a rol
Alyssa
Viola’s story was one I’ve heard much about. I’ve never read genies before – but loved Aladdin! – and was curious enough to finally pick AYW up. I can’t say I’m regretting my decision, but I do have a few qualms.

I’m not sure why this was rated YA lit. In all honesty, Viola, despite being a teenager on the brink of adulthood, just seemed plain and a little young for her age. Her quest for belonging was, although one every teenager struggles, a little immature. That being said, I don’t know anybod
~Tina~
Entertaining, Amusing, Heart Warming, Brilliant. Perfect!

I can't believe how much I absolutely love this book!!
It has this over-whelming, amazing, ear-to-ear goofy grin, feel that just makes you want to curl up and read it all over again!
This was just suppose to be a random book I picked up, a chaser, to take a break from my paranormal shots. But this was so much more!

As You Wish is a beautiful story that makes you think about what really defines the real you. It takes you on a journey of self-
thebookblogger
I was blown away. Seriously. Jackson Pearce has written an amazing debut novel. I'm already a fan. The story is new, original, surpring, and shocking. I read it in one sitting.

The story is told from both of the main characters' points of views, Viola and Jinn, so you get an understanding of the differences between their worlds and thoughts. Most of my favorite novels are with alternating views. It's amazing to watch their relationship grow from both sides and to watch as their hidden longing for
 Tina (Fantastic Book Review)
Have you ever wanted something so bad…

What if all of a sudden you had 3 wishes to grant your heart’s desire?

Viola has been granted 3 wishes by a genie called Jinn and all she’s ever wanted was to belong. Viola soon finds herself spending a lot of time with Jinn which consequently develop into something more than friendship. With only 2 wishes left, Viola has to decide what she’s willing to do to keep Jinn in her life.

Jackson Pearce’s As You Wish is a delightfully fun story where wishes do come t
Lamia
Okay, so you may think the synopsis looks ridiculous. You may be right. But the delivery was surprisingly well-done. I mean, don't get me wrong, this isn't a deep, insightful read with a progressive build-up of the main protagonists' relationship. But the narrator was relatable and actually learned from her mistakes, and I liked her relationship with Jinn. It was all super cute and adorable, if a bit rushed (but like I said, the tone is deliberately light so depth is not what you're looking for ...more
Parajunkee
Surprise! That was the general feeling once I got hooked in this book. Bad PJ judged this book by it's cover and the silly little synopsis on the jacket...but what was I supposed to do?Both the cover and synopsis screamed candy coated teen chick lit. As You Wish while giving the impression of a shallow, quick little read, was anything but. Well, yes, it was quick, but I wouldn't call it shallow. As You Wish is a very poignant tale of a young girl struggling with her social standing and her self- ...more
Nomes
I was so pleasantly surprised by this one. I got it for a light, relaxing read and therefore was not expecting something of such high quality. The writing was flawless with crisp, lovely prose. The characters were all nuanced and 3D and flawed and likeable. Pearce shows so well all their struggles and aches and feelings without ever once stepping into clichéd territory.

The romance was not an over the top paranormal love but a lovely tingly crush and blooming love. The world-building was flawless
Jessica
Rating clarification: 3.5 stars

A very cute but slightly clichéd YA love story.
I don’t have much to say about this one but if you’re looking for a funny, sweet and light read, a cute romance that will make you smile and go aaaw, then this is the book for you. A perfect pastime for rainy days.
Kal-El (the BookGeekBeauty)
CON'S:
1.The only real problem I had was with Viola. I don't really get along with insecure people.I mean some insecurities are fine. Normal even! However,the only thing I wanted to do with her was tie her to the back of a moving bus, or perhaps hit her over the head with a two by four!... Whining. That's all she did, page after page, was whine about her pathetic life. "OOOHH!! I DON'T FIT IN!! WAAAAAHH! I'm so sad and lost and alone and nobody loves me! Boohoo!" This girl never stops whining. Do
Rain Misoa
Apr 26, 2012 Rain Misoa rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like romance and can handle self-absorbed attention whores.
Recommended to Rain by: Library
I am very disappointed with this book. First let me say that I love Jackson Pearce as a person. I watch her YouTube videos all the time and I think she's hilarious. I've always meant to read her books ever since I've heard of her. Unfortunately, this book doesn't do it for me. It's like every other YA novel out there... except with genies. The story was mediocre and I didn't really care for the characters. Especially Viola. Oh my God, was she annoying! She did nothing but complained about how lo ...more
Kate
I had high hopes for As You Wish and I can safely say that Jackson Pearce did not disappoint.

As You Wish is told in alternating chapters between Viola and Jinn. Jinn by the way is the name Viola calls him but he is really a jinn and has no name. Jackson Pearce kept me hooked onto As You Wish from the first page. Viola has this fresh honest voice which I love. Her thoughts and feelings were evident and heartfelt. Reading the book in Jinn's POV gave me a good idea on how he was feeling and his in
Steph Su
Sounds like the synopsis for the next Disney movie, right? Maybe—but it’s one that would appeal to both the children AND the parents. AS YOU WISH took me by surprise with its sincere charm, lighthearted humor, and the best kind of romance.

The development of Viola and Jinn’s from master-genie to romantic love was extraordinarily well done. It was subtle and likable, like a romantic comedy movie unfolding before your eyes, except in words. It seemed completely natural for them to start off wary of
Abby Johnson
When Viola's best friend and boyfriend came out to her and they broke up, she felt like she would never be whole again. All she wished for was to stop being Invisible Girl and find the group where she fit in. But when a genie arrives to grant her three wishes, Viola can't decide what will make her happy. And the longer she puts off wishing, the more she grows to like Jinn. But she has to wish eventually and when she does, Jinn will leave her world forever.

I was really afraid that my expectations
TheBlueBookworm at Wordpress.com

Full Review | Picture taken by yours truly

The book’s plot is relatively simple. Girl meets Jinn, Jinn has to grant her three wishes and then POOF, disappear forever. Things start to get complicated when both of them starting falling for each other and realize that it’s impossible for them to actually be together because the minute she makes that last wish, he’ll disappear forever and she’ll lose any memory of him that she had.

This book was a quick light read. That’s all. Nothing more and nothin
Karen
I absolutely loved this book. I loved Jinn, Viola, but really just loved the whole book. This reminded me so much of first love, and how it makes you feel like you can beat all of the odds. Beautiful story from beginning to end, heart-wrenching in some, and so unputdownable!
Hallie
I'm putting this on my to-read list solely on the basis of Jackson Pearce's AmazonFail: The Video, which is priceless.

15/8 - hurrah - it's shipping from Betterworld already!
Sydney
A clever and charming story about love (including the love that just can't be). Light and easy to read, but thought-provoking as well. I didn't want it to end!
Jessica Dillon
MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE ROMANCE STORY!!!
Thats all I need to say.
Except maybe, I LOVE JINN!!!
HAHA
Imnothing
¿Sabes como recuerdo éste libro? Lo más seguro es que no lo sepas, puesto que no me conoces. Pero seguro que has tenido la misma sensación. O no, ¿quien sabe?

Este es de esos libros sencillos, predecibles y amenos; que la gran mayoría topamos más de una vez (Argumento: Chica conoce chico misterioso, y...) Siempre tanto de lo mismo, sin embargo hay unos cuantos de estas características, que yo por lo menos deseo rescatar.
¿Por qué? Pues porqué es un libro de veranillo, de esos que lees en una noch
Katie
Viola's life isn't the way she pictured it. She has basically no friends and the one friend she does have, she's in love with. Oh and did she mention, he's gay? How could things have gotten so off track?

When she and Lawrence broke up she can't seem to get her act together. All she does is mope about, feeling sorry for the life that she should have had with Lawrence as her boyfriend. And then Jinn shows up.

Jinn isn't really his name, it's what he is. He is a jinn sent to grant her three wishes an
Lauren
I've been dying to read As You Wish for what seems like ages now. Since, for one, does it or does not have a really original premise? Plus, even though a lot of people are going to disagree with me on this one, I do like the cover. Mostly because it reminds me of the one scene that takes place in the book.

Anyway, As You Wish is one book that can be quickly summed up in one phrase: " A cute and darling book". I really did highly enjoy this read.

For one, Viola was a character that I could easily
  • You Wish
  • Coffeehouse Angel
  • Beauty and the Bully
  • Sternenschimmer (Sternenschimmer, #1)
  • My Unfair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #2)
  • Crazy Beautiful
  • The Naughty List (The Naughty List, #1)
  • Fairy Tale
  • The Locket
  • Struts & Frets
  • The Splendor Falls
  • The Espressologist
  • Dreaming Anastasia (Dreaming Anastasia, #1)
  • Do-Over
2761947

I am not very active on Goodreads-- this is largely a placeholder account! Therefore, I do not read Goodreads mail. If you want to get in touch with me, please go here: CONTACT ME!

Jackson Pearce currently lives in Atlanta, Georgia, with a slightly cross-eyed cat and a lot of secondhand furniture. She recently graduated from the University of Georgia with a degree in English and a minor in Philosop
More about Jackson Pearce...
Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings, #1) Sweetly (Fairytale Retellings, #2) Fathomless (Fairytale Retellings, #3) Purity Cold Spell (Fairytale Retellings, #4)

“All I've learned in today's Shakespeare class is: Sometimes you have to fall in love with the wrong person just so you can find the right person. A more useful lesson would've been: Sometimes the right person doesn't love you back. Or sometimes the right person is gay. Or sometimes you just aren't the right person.
Thanks for nothing, Shakespeare.”
104 likes
“Keanu Reeves?" she asks in amazement. I nod. "What did he wish for?" "Isn't it obvious?" I say, waving a hand at the screen. "Fame." "That's why he's famous? Because of a wish?" "Have you seen his movies? Surely you didn't think he made it on his acting skills?" I grant wishes; I don't work miracles. Viola looks back at the screen, eyes screwed up in awe. "I guess that makes sense," she says faintly as my former master delivers a line poorly. "Wow.” 36 likes