Start by marking “Maailmansilmä (Ajan pyörä, #2)” as Want to Read:
Maailmansilmä (Ajan pyörä, #2)

Maailmansilmä (The Wheel of Time #1 pt. 2/2)

4.23  ·  Rating Details ·  1,419 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Sisältää alkuteoksen luvut 24-53.
Published 1997 by Karisto Oy (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Maailmansilmä, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maailmansilmä

Michael Hannaford
Apr 16, 2007 Michael Hannaford rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardcore fantasy fans with A LOT of time to kill.
This series is both entertaining and hugely frustrating. At 11 books averaging 800 pages apiece, it's quite a time investment.

The plusses:

+ Robert Jordan has a knack for compelling plot. I really, really wanted to know what happened next at nearly every turn.

+ The concepts are original - excepting of course that he takes the same stuff from Tolkien that everyone else does - and pretty nifty. I especially like the Yin/Yang idea of the one power and its male and female halves.

+ The characters
Lyndsay L
Apr 21, 2012 Lyndsay L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
The sequel of From the Two Rivers and part 2 of The Eye of the World, The Blight made for a spectacular beginning for the series. When I started this book, I didn't realize how attached I had become to the characters until one died and other came into greater danger.

The whole beginning of this series is about three young boys from a tiny farming land, The Two Rivers, that is extremely secluded from the rest of the world. These three boys are supposed to change the world - either one of them or
Courtney Miller
Mar 24, 2007 Courtney Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those with rich imaginations
Shelves: re-reading
I feel I have to state first, that I've already read all of the Wheel of Time books.

I decided to re-read the series because I found myself unable to read anything else without saying "well, it's not as good as Robert Jordan ..." which is an awful way to live.

I gave this first book only 4 stars because I have to admit that when I first read it, I was not completely hooked. There's a lot of characters, a lot of action and a lot of braid tugging. But what a wonderful way to start a series ... a def
Vichy
Dec 18, 2016 Vichy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Άξια η συνέχεια και εξίσου συναρπαστική!
Μετά τη Σαντάρ Λογκόθ η παρέα έχει σπάσει στα 3. Η Νυνάβε βρίσκει τη Μουαραίν και το Λαν. Ο Πέριν βρίσκει την Εγκουέν, μαζί με το Ιλάυας και μετά τους Μάστορες, οι δυο τους αιχμαλωτίζονται από τους Λευκομανδίτες, τον Μπάυαρ και το Διοικητή Άρχοντα Μπόρνχαλντ (Τέκνα του Φωτός).
Ο Ματ και ο Ραντ διώκονται συνεχώς, στην πραγματικότητα αλλά και στα οράματά τους, από Σκοτεινόφιλους. Ο Βάρδος έχει χαθεί ήδη για να ξεφύγουν αυτοί. Ζουν από ό,τι έχουν μάθει από το
Jenna St Hilaire
Jan 15, 2011 Jenna St Hilaire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to being sick, between last evening and today I pounded through the three-hundred-odd pages of this book. And it fascinated me. I know a lot of the structuring of world and plot is supposed to be based on Buddhist and other Eastern thought, but maybe it's a mishmash like Star Wars, because numerous little details suggested Christian themes to me as well. The names of the evil one, for instance.

I'll plan on reviewing both parts of The Eye of the World together on my blog before long. But t
Michael Reynolds
Mar 16, 2007 Michael Reynolds added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone Literate
Shelves: fantasysci-fi
Folks, this series is the real deal. I don't care whether or not you like fantasy...this series is barely fantasy, much closer to getting dropped off in the middle of a historical event. Like politics? There's political maneuverings galore. Are you a woman? Many women who have read The Wheel of Time thought Robert Jordan was a pseudonym for a woman because of how accurately he portrayed women. I really can't say enough good about the series. Life enriching, full of plot, intrigue, character, cha ...more
Sarazeen Saif

The Eye of the World revolves around the lives of a group of young people from Emond's Field in The Two Rivers district: Rand al'ThorMatrim (Mat) CauthonPerrin AybaraEgwene al'Vere, and Nynaeve al'Meara.

Emond's Field is unexpectedly attacked by Dark forces—bestial Trollocs and a Myrddraal who seem to specifically target Rand, Mat and Perrin. Hoping to save their village from further attacks, the young men and Egwene flee the village accompanied by an Aes Sedai named Moiraine Damodred, h

André Spica
Nov 25, 2016 André Spica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Det er mye fremdrift i boken, men kanskje litt for få pauser der innhold kan gi dypere innsikt i karakterene. Hele første boken er en eneste lang flukt fra uhygge som lurer overalt. Litt for få pusterom. Så fort en fare er unnsluppet, dukker den neste opp. Slutten hang jeg ikke med med på. Her synes jeg forfatteren vaser fælt med språket og greier ikke å formidle det han har et ønske om. Når dette er sagt, så har boken mange momenter som gjør at jeg som leser lever meg inn i historien og lar meg ...more
Anders
Feb 10, 2017 Anders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: red-2017
Började bra och blev tom lite bättre längre in i boken, en medel 4a.
Ana Elena Romero
Aug 27, 2013 Ana Elena Romero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saga, fantástica
A pesar de la ayuda mágica de Moraine Sedai y de las formidables dotes guerreras del guardián Lan, Rand AlThor y sus amigos no han podido deshacerse de sus perseguidores. Ni siquiera el desvío a la fantasmagórica ciudad de Shadar Logoth ha logrado disuadir a los servidores del Oscuro.Ahora están atrapados entre un ejército de trollocs y la temible amenaza de los Myrddraal. Además, el Oscuro ha enviado a Aginor, su mejor general, para asegurarse de que Rand perecerá.A menos que Rand sea capaz de ...more
Teresa R.
Oct 25, 2013 Teresa R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tras un primer libro que me había dejado con un cierto regusto amargo por no cumplir mis expectativas, este segundo volumen presenta una gran mejoría.

Los personajes empiezan a adquirir una personalidad más diferenciada a la vez que las situaciones a las que se ven obligados a enfrentarse configuran su manera de ser. La acción transcurre con más velocidad y los giros en la trama te mantienen atrapado entre las páginas del libro. La narración y descripción tan buena como en el primero.

Estoy seg
Bradley Nafziger
To the blight by Robert Jackson is about Rand, Perrin, Egwene, Moraine, Mat, Nynaeve, and Lan are trying to prevent The Dark One from taking over the world. They travel across the world to the Blight where The Dark One is Summoning his army. Rand kills The Dark one and has found out a secret about himself. I thought that this book was amazing. It was very descriptive and held my attention the whole way through. "The sheer, fifty-foot height of pale gray stone, streaked with silver and white, swe ...more
Dan
Feb 26, 2007 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-classics
Oh, gosh, Wheel of Time...I still vaguely remember who recommended these to me. Anyways, these books are pretty long and the plot gets ridiculously convoluted at times, but I have thoroughly enjoyed all 11 books that are out so far (plus a short prequel novel) and eagerly anticipate the 12th and final. Seems like a lot of people look down on Jordan's books because characters are one-dimensional or stereotypical, and all kinds of hackneyed plot twists appear or something like that. I would say, t ...more
Amanda
Jul 06, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andra delen var bättre än den första, tycker jag. Här börjar helt plötsligt berättelsen ta form, vi lär känna karaktärerna bättre och det händer mer saker. Samtidigt är översättaren något av det sämsta jag mött. Slarvfel lite här och var, heter Mat Matrim Cauthon (som det står i boken) eller Mathon Cautrim (som det står i ordlistan)? Hur kass får man vara liksom. Och ja, jag vet att han heter Matrim, men ändå. Övergår här med till de engelska böckerna så något gott förde det ju med sig att övers ...more
Mitchell
David
Mar 06, 2007 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrew lent this book to Mark in the sixth grade, and I think I just up and took it from him. Then I didn't end up reading it for about a year, so I totally wasted Mark's time, which was admittedly a dick move.

As it turns out though, the author then decided that he needed to write an extra six books at two-and-one-half years a pop to finish the story, so Mark and I are still waiting for the end of the story. I think everyone else more or less up and quit reading.
ateedub
This is a very complex fantasy tale that actuall draws on a wealth of cultures as the basis of the various cultures in the story. The complexity makes it engaging, but in the end, it is fantasy and the constant struggle against evil using the power of the 'true source' gets tiring.

This was another guilty pleasure for me during high school and college. I have the latest (or next to latest perhaps?) book on my shelf. It's been there for 2 years now and I haven't cracked it open yet.

Crestial Wintersmith
Jun 07, 2015 Crestial Wintersmith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Avid Fantasy Reader
Recommended to Crestial by: Some youtuber
So good, the second half of the The Eye of the World is better than the first half. Thought the ending were a bit rush consider the 70% of the book are slow pace, SO SLOW!

Definitely going to read the next chapters of this series.
Nicolas
Jul 25, 2011 Nicolas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a difficult series to read unless you devote large chunks of time to it. It's not a "pick up and read 6 pages" kind of book. Overall, I am really in to the story. I enjoy the characters and find the whole thing very interesting. My biggest complaint is that there is just too much. I feel like this book would have been much better if it would have had a more firm editor.
Naomi Toole
Apr 06, 2007 Naomi Toole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a good fantasy
I'm now hooked on this 12 book series so do not start it unless you're ready to read the rest!

Also you have to be a fan on fantasy, it is defintely one of the best fantasy series about. A friend in Seattle put me on to it.
Kevin Murphy
Sep 22, 2014 Kevin Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Despite residing in fantasy conventions laid down by Tolkien, it's thoroughly enjoyable, and I understand the lasting legacy of the series now and look forward to continuing on with the next book soon.
Flint
Jun 27, 2009 Flint rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think in terms of action, suspense and story this is probably the best book out of the entire series in terms of completeness. You won't find nearly the type of progression and pacing in any of the books following this one.
John Devlin
Begins to epitomize the worst in fantasy: endless books that never climax, but just continue, characters that never embrace their actual humanity, but manage to stay 2 dimensional, but hey, otherwise Jordan's at about 12,000 pages and still going.
Susan Fine
Apr 08, 2007 Susan Fine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world that Robert Jordan creates is amazing! He rivals (and in my opinion surpasses but I have been called a blasphemer for that statement before) Tolkein! By the time you're done you care a great deal about Matt, Perrin and Rand Al Thor.
Ryan Oates
Apr 12, 2007 Ryan Oates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all fantasy lovers
The book is the first of many great Jordan novels that capture the imagination. Plenty of good characters and several story lines to keep you moving around. A great read. Prepare to take a while to read the entire series, as they still have not finished it as far as I know.
Kevin Hartman
The first three books of the Wheel of Time series were great. After six more (which took about 10 years to be written) I quit. Never again shall I read a WoT novel!!
Arunkumar Mahadevan Pillai
A thoroughly satisfying series, this!
Julsey
very good, the plot thickens.
Helene
Mar 22, 2007 Helene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Første bok i en serie som begynte fanastisk bra, men som tapte seg litt etter som tiden gikk og det kom stadig flere bind.
Chris
Jan 25, 2014 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sword-sorcery
A bit slow, but I find the series appealing enough to keep going.
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • When the Snow Fell
  • La déchirure (Le Soldat Chamane, #1)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • Les noces pourpres (Le trône de fer, #8)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Jeff Corwin: a Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)

“In wars, boy, fools kill other fools for foolish causes” 425 likes