Start by marking “Nightshade & Damnations: 11 Stories of the Weird, the Unspeakable, the Bizarre” as Want to Read:
Nightshade & Damnations: 11 Stories of the Weird, the Unspeakable, the Bizarre

Nightshade & Damnations: 11 Stories of the Weird, the Unspeakable, the Bizarre

Contents:

9 · Kersh, the Demon Prince · Harlan Ellison · in
15 · The Queen of Pig Island · ss The Strand Mar ’49
29 · Frozen Beauty [as by Waldo Kellar] · ss John Bull Nov 29 ’41
35 · The Brighton Monster [“The Monster”] · ss The Saturday Evening Post Feb 21 ’48
51 · Men Without Bones · ss Esquire Aug ’54
63 · Busto Is a Ghost, Too Mean to Give Us a Fright!" [“Lunatic’s Bro
Published 1968 by Fawcett Gold Medal

To ask other readers questions about Nightshade & Damnations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightshade & Damnations

Riju Ganguly
Oct 22, 2015 Riju Ganguly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHY THE **** HADN’T I READ ANTYHING WRITTEN BY GERALD KERSH UNTIL NOW?

OK. Now I’m feeling better. That sense of betterment is derived not only from the fact that I have somehow managed to get that feeling, which had been plaguing me ever since I had picked up the book, out in the open. I’m feeling better because I’m quite sure that many-many of you, esteemed readers, would be in the same boat, and I can only hope that my humble comments might succeed in motivating you to rectify the situation AS
Mitch Duckworth
Nov 22, 2011 Mitch Duckworth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
. . . Loaned to me by fellow writer and dear friend, Jack Mace, this remarkable anthology of 11 storeis by a brilliant writer, Gerald Kersh, unknown to me only a few years ago. Oh, perhaps I have encountered his name somewhere along the line, in one or more (then) obscures references to him by Harlan Ellison or Ray Bradbury, or any one of the writers I admire in an article or essay describing authors they admire. Nightshade & Damnation-11 Storeis of the Weird, the Unspeakable, the Bizarre si ...more
Linda
Oct 03, 2008 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not so much horror as stories of the fantastic. Many of these would have felt right at home on the Twilight Zone of old.
Peter
Sep 20, 2016 Peter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Gerald Kersh wrote to make a living and these eleven stories – originally published between 1938 and 1962 – are for the most part potboilers. Many of them follow the sort of formula in which the narrator meets a chum who settles back in his armchair, lights his pipe, and says “Did I ever tell you the queer tale of the marmoset who played Mozart?” And then we get the queer tale...and that’s it.

But Kersh, for all his hack work, was an intermittently good writer capable of surprising you, both wit
Clint
Mar 02, 2009 Clint rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd never heard of this guy before I read this book, with an introduction slobbering all over him by Harlan Ellison, but all these stories were interesting and very, very odd.
Justin Howe
Dec 06, 2013 Justin Howe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories from the 1940s and 1950s, somewhat pulpy, but it’s a testament to Kersh’s style and POV that he has aged better than most.

I’d heard Kersh’s name for a while now and knew his work from Jules Dassin’s “Night & the City” before I knew who he was. I definitely recommend this book.
j_ay
Oct 15, 2014 j_ay marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The Queen of Pig Island *****
Frozen Beauty ****o
The Brighton Monster
Men Without Bones
"Busto is a Ghost, Too Mean to Give Us a Fright!"
The Ape and the Mystery
The King Who Collected Clocks
Bone for Debinkers
A Lucky Day for the Boar
Voices in the Dust Annan
Whatever Happened to Corporal Cuckoo?
Mike
These stories are pretty dated but there are a couple of good ones. But, for the most part, a boring collection.
Debra
Stephen King recommended book. Listed in Danse Macabre as being “important to the genre we have been discussing.”
Ericpegnam Pegnam
Uneven but some very interesting...some real shaggy dog stories marginal stuff plus it has a cover by Leo and Diane Dillon.
Edward
Edward rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2014
Just Me
Just Me rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Carrie ૐ
Carrie ૐ rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2011
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2009
Ed Messina
Ed Messina rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2014
Horror Aficionado
Horror Aficionado rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2016
Jordan West
Jordan West rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2010
Still
Still rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2013
Elizabeth Bouras
Elizabeth Bouras rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2011
James Griffiths
James Griffiths rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2013
Joseph Jarvis
Joseph Jarvis rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Greg Bossert
Greg Bossert rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2012
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
Thomas Pluck
Thomas Pluck rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Steven Novick
Steven Novick rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Christopher Roden
Christopher Roden rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2009
Alan
Alan rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2015
Oliver Smith
Oliver Smith rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2014
Jeff Wood
Jeff Wood rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2008
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Collected Fiction, Vol. 1: The Boats of the "Glen Carrig" and Other Nautical Adventures
  • The Phantom Rickshaw and Other Ghost Stories
  • The Hunger, and Other Stories
  • The Monster Club
  • The Trail of Cthulhu
  • The Best of Lucius Shepard
  • After Dark (Silver John, #2)
  • The Cormorant
  • The Doom That Came to Sarnath and Other Stories
  • The White People and Other Weird Stories
  • The Blood of the Vampire
  • The Doll Who Ate His Mother
  • Prayers to Broken Stones
  • Suspended In Dusk
Gerald Kersh was born in Teddington-on-Thames, near London, and, like so many writers, quit school to take on a series of jobs -- salesman, baker, fish-and-chips cook, nightclub bouncer, freelance newspaper reporter and at the same time was writing his first two novels.

In 1937, his third published novel, Night and the City, hurled him into the front ranks of young British writers. Twenty novels la
More about Gerald Kersh...

“But books, when you want to buy them, are costly and, when you need to sell them, valueless.” 5 likes