Start by marking “The Case for Auschwitz: Evidence from the Irving Trial” as Want to Read:
The Case for Auschwitz: Evidence from the Irving Trial

The Case for Auschwitz: Evidence from the Irving Trial

"The Irving case has done for the new century what the Nuremberg tribunals or the Eichmann trial did for earlier generations." --The Daily Telegraph

From January to April 2000 a high-profile libel case brought by the British historian David Irving against Penguin Books and Deborah Lipstadt, charging that Lipstadt's book, Denying the Holocaust (1993), falsely labeled him a H
Published February 1st 2002 by Indiana University Press (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Case for Auschwitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case for Auschwitz

Douglas Willis
Dec 14, 2014 Douglas Willis rated it it was amazing
Revealing . . . and terrifying! It is an outstanding work; the material is hard to digest (makes me wonder about humanity!) but this is crucial reading.
Katherine Addison
The Case for Auschwitz is a massive book, 551 pages not counting the index, and larger than an average hardback. I almost didn't buy it when I found it at the used bookstore because it was so intimidating, but I am very glad I did, because I was richly rewarded.

This is a book about the historiography of Auschwitz. As such, and because it is about the libel trial brought by David Irving against Deborah Lipstadt, it is also about Holocaust deniers. Holocaust deniers call themselves Revisionists; v
zBlaz
Aug 07, 2016 zBlaz rated it did not like it
At the trial prof. Van Pelt confirmed that there are no Zyklon B introduction holes in the roof of Krema II, the central place of Holocaust and his study. He went there many times, he is an architect and historian, and as a expert for the defence he surely didn't have a motive to conceal his findings, if there was the slightest trace of such openings. I really don't understand - are this people so corrupt or so delusional?

"MR IRVING: We are right at the end, my Lord. And I will just say, another
Tanner Loewenberg
Jan 01, 2015 Tanner Loewenberg rated it it was amazing
This is a very intense book in the construction of the has chambers at Auschwitz. Dr. Van Pelt lays out a bullet proof case that the has chambers were built to murder those who want in. After the fall of communism in Europe, the blueprints for Auschwitz became available to scholars. This book puts to rest negationist history of Auschwitz. The text and visuals complete a full circle of evidence as to the a Nazi atrocities.
The Jewish Book Council
"It was my task to help the defense convince the judge that no serious historian who had considered the evidence would have serious cause to doubt that there were gas chambers at Auschwitz.” Review by Jack Fischel for the Jewish Book Council.
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
May 06, 2015
Dan G
Dan G rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2011
Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2007
Nicole Cordy
Nicole Cordy rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2014
Zachary Gaber
Zachary Gaber rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2012
Rob
Rob rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2013
Jose Palafox
Jose Palafox marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2009
Emil
Emil marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2010
Ngaio
Ngaio marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2010
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2012
Angela
Angela added it
Dec 23, 2012
Loni
Loni marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2012
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2012
Karrie
Karrie marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2012
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2012
Chidi OKORO
Chidi OKORO marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2013
Laura Grow-Nyberg
Laura Grow-Nyberg marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
Cynthia Southern
Cynthia Southern marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 23, 2013
Bee
Bee marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Bevan
Bevan marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Gus
Gus marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Pointsandwheels
Pointsandwheels marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Zach
Zach marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Norah
Norah marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
John
John is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2016
Anella
Anella marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Katrina Stack
Katrina Stack marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
University Professor at the University of Waterloo, Pelt is a widely recognized authority on the planning and construction of Nazi concentration camps and the author of two books about Auschwitz.
More about Robert Jan Van Pelt...