Start by marking “Kitchen Mysteries: Revealing the Science of Cooking” as Want to Read:
Kitchen Mysteries: Revealing the Science of Cooking

Kitchen Mysteries: Revealing the Science of Cooking (Arts and Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)

An international celebrity and founder of molecular gastronomy, or the scientific investigation of culinary practice, Hervé This is known for his ground-breaking research into the chemistry and physics behind everyday cooking. His work is consulted widely by amateur cooks and professional chefs and has changed the way food is approached and prepared all over the world.

In

Published July 8th 2010 by Columbia University Press (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Kitchen Mysteries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kitchen Mysteries

Katie
Aug 28, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well I'm a science nerd, a food lover, a novice chef/wannabe baker/cook, and I also teach a college class called the biology of food. So this book was all but guaranteed to get high marks from me. It would have gotten a full five star rating, but I deducted one for a couple reasons. First, the writing style was kind of all over the place. It was humorous and then serious without any leadin or any indication of what was to come. It ended up reading very choppy beach use of that.

Second, the level
Rebecca
Jul 21, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pop-science
I can't quite put my finger on why this one didn't work for me. Somehow, the information never quite seemed to stick in my head. It's not like I'm intimidated by chemistry--I've got a degree in engineering, I've hacked my way through science textbooks much denser than this. And I've already picked up a decent working knowledge of the chemical underpinnings of cooking.

I'm not sure whether the problem lies in the translation or in some kind of culture gap. But I constantly felt as if there were as
jess
Jul 09, 2008 jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, 2008
this is the dude that invented molecular gastronomy -- the scientific investigation of culinary practice!!! some chefs around the world take his principles and a lot of creativity and make crazy food like foams and gels and shit. it's got more to do with bragging rights than nutrition, but it is so cool.

this book is an exploration of the chemistry and physics behind the crazy science experiments we make for meals. this is his second book, and here he focuses specifically on things that happen i
Stephen
Jul 25, 2011 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Herve This is widely associated with the "school" of Molecular Gastronomy, which is why I didn't want to read his book. Other excellent texts on the science of cooking exist, e.g. Harold McGee, On Food and Cooking: The science and lore of the kitchen, New York: Scribner, 1984 and Robert L. Wolke, What Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen science explained, New York: W.W. Norton, 2002. I had no interest in making chemistry-set dishes unrecognizable as food by any of my grandmothers. On the recommendat ...more
Ricardo
Nov 13, 2010 Ricardo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chefs, cooks or foodies: beware! It is not a science treaty. It is not a how to do molecular gastronomy cookbook. It is a brief explanation in small themed chapters with smaller Q&A type sections about things this "mad hatter food scientist" has asked himself and then gone and scientifically prove, disprove or find out rightly.

Brilliant? Yes! Inspiring? Nope. Damn well informative and logically explained with a degree of elementary storytelling? You bet! Hey, it has answers to questions and
Niya B
Jul 26, 2013 Niya B rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For anyone who has wondered why animal bones make things gel, or what puts the sponge in sponge cake and for anyone who wants to make a better souffle, or to ensure that their sauces are perfectly unctuous This' Kitchen Mysteries is the perfect beginning. The writing makes the sciences incredibly accessible, the passion for creating the most perfect version of something through rigorous testing of variables makes the entire piece rather endearing. It's a lovely piece for the more scientifically ...more
Jesse
The second book I've read by Herve This ... and this is the one I'd recommend. He has a capacity to take simple topics (jam, egg, sauce) and make you feel like like you can competently take them on in a whole new sophisticated way. The structure of eggs explains so many dishes. Better yet ... how to recover an egg dish that appears to be failing ... that's valuable. The book is both basic and advanced. If a young foodie asked me what to read to learn how to cook for themselves I'd recommend firs ...more
Lambknitj
Jan 23, 2012 Lambknitj rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I ended up just skimming over parts of the book -- parts of it went too in depth with the chemistry of cooking, and it mostly revolved around souffles and other egg products that I just don't bother making, as well as around wine and alcohol products. There was a sections on cooking meats that was interesting, if I cooked more meat. I was mostly disappointed in the bread section. I didn't really learn anything that I haven't learned in other places.

All in all, I guess this book just wasn't for m
Qiana
I can't *really* rate this book since I didn't finish it. Maybe I don't remember as much chemistry and biochemistry as I thought, but the terminology just seemed a little too vague in places I wanted more description and too much description in places I didn't care about. And I really, really like science. And ultimately, what I did finish wasn't going to help me cook better. Disappointed that this wasn't better.
Полиграф
This book assumes that the reader already has significant experience in the kitchen. There are some interesting tidbits, but the author seems more interested in the details of the chemistry than in providing much in the way of useful kitchen instruction. The book would have benefited from having accompanying recipes that demonstrated some of what the author was talking about.
Kristen
Nov 16, 2007 Kristen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
For me, this book was above my head in terms of kitchen skills & understanding and too technical in terms of the chemistry, but there were interesting tidbits and odd bits of humor sprinkled throughout.
John
Dec 24, 2009 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful at parts but often a bit confusing and repetitive. On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee is in the same vein and more readable, though it's also a bajillion pages long.
Mckinley
Jan 06, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brief entries about some of the science behind cooking. And I learned how to tell a cooked egg from a raw one.
Erik
Sep 01, 2008 Erik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Herve This is one of my biggest inspirations in the kitchen. This book is a good introduction to what he is all about.
Virginia
Apr 08, 2015 Virginia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had a lot of really interesting information, but lacked organization. Took me awhile to get through it, but I am mostly glad I did.
Liz De Coster
Sep 30, 2008 Liz De Coster rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
This book was interesting an informative, but some of the "technical" aspects (explanations for various chemical interactions, etc.) were a bit complex for me.
Carol
Feb 23, 2011 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The "science" was too much of an obstacle for me to feast on the book - so I sampled here and there when something appealed to me.
Kerem Kaynar
Kerem Kaynar rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2014
Laura rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2012
kkurtz
kkurtz rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2007
Crisisover
Crisisover rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Reader Radar
Reader Radar rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2015
Julie A. Barnett
Julie A. Barnett rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Marjorie Kramer
Marjorie Kramer rated it liked it
May 26, 2014
Rafael Meirelles
Rafael Meirelles rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2017
Nisreen
Nisreen rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2011
Christy
Christy rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2010
Kirsten Mortensen
Kirsten Mortensen rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2012
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Hillary
Hillary rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Best Food Writing 2010
  • Heston Blumenthal: In Search of Perfection: Reinventing Kitchen Classics
  • What Einstein Told His Cook 2: The Sequel: Further Adventures in Kitchen Science (v. 2)
  • The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science and Lore
  • A Hedonist in the Cellar: Adventures in Wine
  • Bones: Recipes, History, and Lore
  • The Craft of Stone Brewing Co.: Liquid Lore, Epic Recipes, and Unabashed Arrogance
  • Kafka's Soup: A Complete History of World Literature in 14 Recipes
  • Bacon: A Love Story: A Salty Survey of Everybody's Favorite Meat
  • A Day At Elbulli
  • Glorious One-Pot Meals: A Revolutionary New Quick and Healthy Approach to Dutch-Oven Cooking
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza
  • Knife Skills Illustrated: A User's Manual
  • Salted: A Manifesto on the World's Most Essential Mineral, with Recipes
  • Squeezed: What You Don't Know About Orange Juice
  • Indian Takeaway: One Man's Attempt to Cook His Way Home
  • Steak: One Man's Search for the World's Tastiest Piece of Beef
Hervé This is is a French physical chemist who works at the Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique. His main area of interest is molecular gastronomy, or how our knowledge of chemistry and science in general, can be used as a tool to enhance culinary experiences, rather than the purely empirical knowledge which more often than not dictates the rules in the kitchen. With the late Nicholas Ku ...more
More about Hervé This...

Arts and Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • British Food: An Extraordinary Thousand Years of History
  • Building a Meal: From Molecular Gastronomy to Culinary Constructivism (Arts and Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)
  • Cheese, Pears, & History in a Proverb
  • Culture of the Fork: A Brief History of Everyday Food and Haute Cuisine in Europe
  • Eating History: Thirty Turning Points in the Making of American Cuisine
  • Food and Faith in Christian Culture
  • Food is Culture (Arts and Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)
  • French Gastronomy: The History and Geography of a Passion