Start by marking “The Stolen Lake (The Wolves Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Stolen Lake (The Wolves Chronicles, #4)

The Stolen Lake (The Wolves Chronicles #4)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  644 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Readers who have followed Dido Twite’s escapades in BLACK HEARTS IN BATTERSEA and NIGHTBIRDS ON NANTUCKET will welcome her return in her wildest adventure yet.
Now back in print, THE CUCKOO TREE and THE STOLEN LAKE continue the Wolves Chronicles, the exhilarating and imaginative series that stemmed from Joan Aiken’s classic THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE.
A dazzling piece
Published September 25th 2000 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Stolen Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stolen Lake

Nigel
Oct 31, 2014 Nigel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book explodes like a firework in the brain, or perhaps like one of the thirteen volcanoes that encircle the misappropriated lake of the title. The ideas, the plot, the situations go beyond the merely outrageous and into the sublimely wonderful. This is a masterpiece of children's fantasy, and Dido Twite must surely be one of the great heroines of children's literature.

Dido is travelling back to England on the Naval steamer The Thrush, which is diverted to South America, or, as it is known i
Sylvester
It's been a while since I read any Joan Aiken. Too long! I do love her all-out adventures, even when they go over the top, like this one. The pacing of the story is mad-cap, speeding up until I find myself rushing over the words to get to the end - so it loses some of its strength this way - BUT! Really, Joan Aiken is so wonderful - girls with grit and a sense of adventure and humour - lots and lots of imagination and Dickensian plots. Just lovely. So glad she wrote a lot.
Nikki
A Ripping Yarn! Part of a series (but the first of them I've read) which began with The Wolves of Willoughby Chase, The Stolen Lake finds plucky heroine Dido Twite aboard a British man'o'war headed for England. As they make their way across the Atlantic, a message arrives by carrier pigeon diverting the ship to New Cumbria. Where? Well, the series takes place in an alternate history where the Stuarts still rule Great Britain, with James III the King rather than Queen Victoria. New Cumbria (rough ...more
Sherry Chiger
Jul 29, 2014 Sherry Chiger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dido Twite, the quick-witted (and sharp-tongued) heroine of "Black Hearts in Battersea" and "Nightbirds on Nantucket," is back in this sequel. During the mythical reign of Britain's King George IV, the ship carrying 12-year-old Dido from Nantucket back to England is ordered to stop off in New Cumbria, a mysterious South American nation ruled by a suspiciously ancient queen. Is she, as she claims, the widow of King Arthur? If so, how has she managed to survive the centuries? And why aren't there ...more
Jenn Estepp
Simon
May 25, 2016 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plenty of Arthurian legend along with episodes that owe a great deal to Homer and Norse epics. Joan Aiken knew her stories and how to incorporate these into her own fertile imagination. I found the opening rather pedestrian but once the elements of the story are established it rattles along at good pace.

Fascinating contrasts in the use of language by storyteller and the various characters. Dido Twite has a wonderful way with words and grows on me as a character with each appearance. Some weird
Peter
Sep 17, 2015 Peter rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book for older kids. I checked it out of the library to read to my five year old. Turned out to be too complex and scary to read to him, so I read it myself. It is actually much better than I would have expected for a YA novel. The writing is fairly complex, the characters are fully realized, and the action is engaging and exciting throughout. I'd expect any kid who has liked the J.K. Rowling or Lloyd alexander series would also enjoy this one as well. Though be sure that they are OK ...more
Squeaky
Dido hitched a ride back to the U.K., Great Britain, or whatever it is called in this alternate history book, but ends up in South America, as near as I can figure, where she may be tossed into a lake (the stolen one, after it is returned) to extend the life of someone with a oddly familiar name. There, I don't think that's a spoiler.

Unfortunately we don't have the next book, and neither does either of the public library systems in this county, so I may have to actually BUY it. Horrors!
Julia Hendon
Aug 07, 2014 Julia Hendon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-child
Many years ago I read the first three books in this series and loved them. I only recently discovered that Aiken had written several more. The Stolen Lake is number four and features Dido Twite, a uneducated but smart and courageous street urchin who has many adventures in strange places. In this book she is in South America. The author does a rather strange mash up of the Arthurian legends and lost Inca civilization themes. The mix doesn't really work but Dido is an enjoyable character.
Colette
This was written much later than the previous books, and it shows in the style. The story didn't grab me as much, and I was not prepared for the mystical turn this series has taken. I liked it, but it wasn't the same flavor as the earlier stories. I'm reading the series in publication order, so this is #6. I liked The Cuckoo Tree better than this one for anyone who may be quitting the series after this strange turn. It's not so fantastical. I also don't think this book adequately portrays the de ...more
Jennifer Heise
Croopus, don't gutter-brat Dido Twite end up in some mucky situations?!
In this case, she is on her way on a ship of the British Navy when the vessel is redirected to the (alternate history) South American lands to assist the queen of a nation that has long been an ally of Britain's in retrieving something stolen from her. (You can guess what.) But nearly nothing is as it seems, from the captain's steward to the Queen herself, and the complicated terrain of a South American nation settled by the
Anthony Faber
Feb 09, 2014 Anthony Faber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wolves #4. Dido on her journey home from Nantucket gets caught up in magical intrigue in Roman America (After the Saxons beat the Britons & Romans, some of them got into boats and ended up in South America. She's a bit sloppy (what's with all the Spanish names if the Spaniards didn't colonize in this alternate universe) and more sloppy physics & geology, but still interesting.
Hessie
Oct 21, 2014 Hessie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Joan Aiken rewrites history, she does it with a vengeance! Imagine a world where the ancient Britons and Romans emigrated to South America together, established countries there and that those countries still maintained an alliance with England and this is the premise for this installment of Dido Twite's adventures. The book is imaginative, fanciful, and never boring, but I gave it 3 stars because it crossed the line on gruesomeness.
Kaitlin
Apr 25, 2014 Kaitlin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I officially give up on Dido Twite and the Wolves series. There was nothing interesting here. (view spoiler) Nothing new in this story, just the precocious British girl on another boat. And in pants. And then in a dress.

All the jokes come from Dido's lack of education. I think the series must just be outdated. And to be fair I'm not the target audience.

I have The Cuckoo Tree, but I'll be donating it to my favori
Luisa
Jan 29, 2016 Luisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was much creepier than the other books. I liked it, and it had a lot of surprises!
Books Kids Like
On their way from Nantucket to England, Dido Twite and the crew of the Thrush are summoned to aid the tyrannical Queen Ginevra of New Cumbria. A neighboring king has stolen the queen’s lake and is holding it for ransom. The queen needs the lake because her husband, King Arthur, can only return to her by crossing it. Dido and crew enter a world of revolving palaces, witches who are also court dressmakers, and an infernal country with a noticeable lack of female children. They must face fire, floo ...more
Karen
Oct 06, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dido Twite is absolutely on form in this, the 4th in the Wolves of Willoughby Chase series. This time she is in an alternate universe version of South America and manages to get herself into all kinds of pickles as a result. Croopus! What will she get up to next? I have ordered a copy of book 5 to find out.
Samantha
Jun 14, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series so much, I'm just sad I didn't know it was a whole series when I was a child. This one takes the same world and characters and adds even more madness to it: I love the whole concept of stealing a lake and who the characters turn out to be. It's surreal, sure, and definitely verging into the realms of steampunk, but at the same time the characterisations are spot on and the whole world is so perfectly built that you're just like, 'WELL OBVIOUSLY IT WORKS LIKE THAT', which I lov ...more
Matthew Lindtveit
Aug 11, 2014 Matthew Lindtveit rated it it was amazing
Another of my favorites of this series
Luann
This is MUCH longer than the previous three in the series. Dido Twite has many adventures on her trip while she is attempting to get back to England. She must be VERY tired of being kidnapped by the end of this one.

Yet while I did enjoy this, I just didn't enjoy it quite as much as the others so far. Some of the characters were very unpleasant and some of the adventures were unpleasant as well. I do still think Dido Twite makes quite a good hero, though, and I look forward to reading more of Jo
Kirsten
Feb 29, 2008 Kirsten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-pre-12-07, own
Another story in the continuing adventures of Dido Twite. In this installment, Dido is put in more danger than ever before, as she and the crew of the Thrush receive summons to New Cumbria in Roman America (South America in our world). The queen is tyrannical but nonetheless a British ally, so Dido and the crew must find a way to retrieve the queen's stolen lake. As always, things are even more complicated than they at first seem, and Dido makes some fantastic and gruesome discoveries before the ...more
Susan
Feb 02, 2014 Susan marked it as to-read
Brownell Library book sale January 2014
Emmaj
Oct 16, 2011 Emmaj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dido Twite is having a really hard time getting home. She just wants to go back to London but keeps making inadvertent detours around the world (this is book five in a series). This time, the clipper ship she is on is called to go to New Cumbria (set in South America) to help the queen. When she gets there, she finds the landscape strange and the people stranger.
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I like it too much to give this review justice.
Jane
Feb 09, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fabulous world Joan Aiken created in her twelve-volume Wolves series! Her heroes and heroines - the endearing Dido Twite here - live in an alternate British empire and they travel the world seeking lost princesses, pink whales and more. Aiken's way with language is masterful, and her humor diverting.
Lucía
Apr 16, 2013 Lucía rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very funny and you learned a little about the past In it. It was not realistic and didn't have grate description at all. I think this book was a little young for me and that is probably why I don't enjoy it so much but I think it would be a brilliant book for younger people. I would rate this book 6 out of 10. And would recommend this to younger readers who like a bit of mystery.
Apr 08, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Wow, this book was pretty crazy! Best for those who love their fantasy/alternate history books served with a side of humor. In tone, it's rather like Return to Oz mixed with LOTR mixed with Arthurian legends mixed with Gulliver's Travels. It would take a pretty sharp pre-teen or YA to understand and appreciate all the references and puns in this one, but I don't doubt they're out there.
Hollie
May 19, 2008 Hollie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: precocious children, young adults, adults who enjoy similar fantasy
I have kept and re-read this book many times. At last count it was about 15 times! I enjoyed the stories, the twists, the strength of the characters, and the enticing challenges they were presented with. It drew tears and fear, and I indeed fell in line with Dido. A compelling read, even with adult eyes, yet appropriate for younger children who are advanced readers.
Celeste Ng
Jun 16, 2007 Celeste Ng rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids and wannabe kids, king arthur fans
A fabulous reinvention of the King Arthur legend, in which Guinevere has taken refuge in South America and is keeping herself alive (how?) to await the return of her husband. Throw in our heroine Dido, rocs (as in Sinbad), giant cats, and the stolen lake of the title, and you have an eerie book for smartie kids.
Kailey
Apr 28, 2015 Kailey rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This book was a little different from the others. More outrageous in it's plot, more storybookish and instead of sticking to a semblance of reality. Also there was more violence and people dying and stuff. Still wonderful though!

I love how plucky the heroine is. I always admire courage.
Ella
Mar 06, 2009 Ella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was gifted to me when I was a child. I still read (the same copy) from time to time and am completely swept away with Dido's adventure every time.

I think that I purposely wait a few years for the plot to fade from memory just so I can re-read it with somewhat fresh eyes.
  • The Wizard in the Tree
  • The Story of the Amulet (Five Children, #3)
  • The Dolls' House
  • Miss Bianca in the Orient (The Rescuers, #5)
  • The Well-Wishers (Tales of Magic, #6)
  • Children on the Oregon Trail
  • Goody Hall
  • Seaward
  • Black Maria
  • The River at Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #3)
  • Linnets and Valerians
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull (Johnny Dixon, #3)
  • Fog Magic
  • She Was Nice To Mice: The Other Side of Elizabeth I's Character Never Before Revealed by Previous Historians
  • The Astonishing Stereoscope (Hall Family Chronicles #3)
  • Clemency Pogue: Fairy Killer (Clemency Pogue #1)
  • Movie Shoes (Shoes, #6)
12075
Joan Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE has been in print for over 50 years with a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza. She was known as a writer of wild fantasy, Gothic novels and unforgettable short stories.
NEW COLLECTION 2016 - The People in The Castle https://www.goodread
More about Joan Aiken...

The Wolves Chronicles (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1)
  • Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2)
  • Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3)
  • Dangerous Games (The Wolves Chronicles, #5)
  • The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles, #6)
  • Dido and Pa (The Wolves Chronicles, #7)
  • Is Underground (The Wolves Chronicles, #8)
  • Cold Shoulder Road (The Wolves Chronicles, #9)
  • Midwinter Nightingale (The Wolves Chronicles, #10)
  • The Witch of Clatteringshaws (The Wolves Chronicles, #11)

“They came to the high stone shaft with the face of Sul; they descended to the terrace below. And here Caradog waited, leaning on his silver-tipped rod and eying the horizon, until the delicate slip of the new moon moved out from behind the shoulder of Mount Damyake, with the mysterious, shadowy ghost of the old moon cradle inside it, like an egg inside its egg cup.

"Now it is time," he said.

"Blame it!" expostulated Dido. "It ain't right for me to die! Have you thought of that, mister? You're and old gager; you've lived nigh on fourscore years, I shouldn't wonder. You did a whole lot of things and learned a lot o' stuff --- though mussy knows, you ain't put it to very good use. But I haven't hardly done nothing! And I ain't learned much, neither, except the use of the globes that Mr. Holy taught me, and how to curtsy and cut up whales."

At the thought of Mr. Holystone her voice, to her shame, began to wobble dangerously; she stopped speaking and drew a deep breath.

"Cease repining, child, and go down those steps," said Caradog. "Do not quarrel with your destiny. If Sul wishes you to die, then it is your time."

Dido remembered the story that Bran had told about the man who picked up the necklace. Well, if it is my destiny, she thought, best not to make a pother about it.”
2 likes