Start by marking “Old Maid's Puzzle” as Want to Read:
Old Maid's Puzzle

Old Maid's Puzzle (A Quilting Mystery #2)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  42 reviews

Thirty-year-old techie Dewey Pellicano is trying to make a go of Quilter Paradiso, the quilt shop she inherited from her mother. But she's facing a patchwork of problems—fierce competition, an uncooperative employee (who also happens to be Dewey's sister-in-law) and, oh yes, a dead body in the alley.

Dewey pins her hopes on the store's huge 20th anniversary sale and appear

Published June 1st 2009 by Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Old Maid's Puzzle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Maid's Puzzle

Susan
Dewey's quilt shop, inherited from her beloved mother, is losing money and she's depending on a big sale to salvage her finances. But when her neighbor finds a murdered man in the alley next to the store, she fears her genteel customers will be afraid to come for the sale. Some of her most loyal customers and friends, the elderly ladies who call themselves Stitch and Bitch, are feuding about a man. And to make things worse, her boyfriend Buster is still refusing to have sex with her. Dewey is wo...more
Kathy
As is my usual tendency, I have jumped into the middle of a series without reading the previous book. And in this case, well, the book jumps right into bed. Or nearly. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, mind you, indeed, fairly original (though, well, Stephanie Plum is like that, isn't she?).

And as usual lately I finished the book feeling like a curmudgeon. When did I get so picky, for goodness sakes? When did I approach a cozy mystery and think "well, shouldn't they all be a bit more upset ab...more
Jennifer Farr
***SPOILER ALERT***So glad Dewey fired Kym. She needed to go!!
Heather
Dewey is back and Quilter's Paradisio is struggling along. A con man is found dead in the alley the week of the 20th anniversary sale and Dewey needs this sale to be a success or its the end of the shop.

I liked this one better than the first. Dewey begins to learn how to quilt and is trying hard to make the store her own. I can't wait to read the next one.

It did annoy me that "We Are Family" was said to have been a Sly & The Family Stone song when it was actually Sister Sledge. Sly did have...more
LORI CASWELL
Dewey Pellicano is looking forward to celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Quilter Paradiso, the quilting shop left to her by her mother. Dewey never caught the quilting bug but realizes she has to learn to keep the store a sucess and as she learns so is starting to love it just as her mom did.

The quilting love goes out the back door as she finds out there is a dead body in the alley behind the store. As if she didn’t have enough problems, facing stiff competition from other stores she is barely...more
Susan
Old Maid's Puzzle is the second book in the Quilting Mystery series by Terri Thayer, set in modern-day San Jose CA. This series will appeal primarily to quilters, who also enjoy reading cozy mysteries.

Software engineer Dewey Pellicano inherited Quilter Paradiso quilt shop from her mother. She also inherited a mutinous employee, her sister-in-law Kym.

Dewey is counting on Quilter Paradiso's 20th anniversary sale and appearance on national television to bolster the shop's revenues enough to stay i...more
Oocha
This book was so disappointing and frustrating! Especially since Wild Goose Chase had so pleasantly surprised me.

The entire book Dewey freaks out about how much work she has to do in preparation for a huge sale, and instead of actually working she browses eBay or writes emails! I found it very hard to like Dewey or even sympathize with her because her attention span is about two minutes.

I also felt that the author fell short in writing. Certain things were not explained that I felt should have...more
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
This book would have been a 4 star read for all of my normal reasons: great characters, strong dialogue, excellent murder mystery with lots of complexity. Truly did not see the end coming. But it got three stars because honestly, this book stressed me out! 4/5's of this book is steeped in Dewey's financial issues, the long to-do list that must get done or else the business is bankrupt, the relationship struggles, the family discord. Honestly - it was all too much for a cozy mystery! There were a...more
Darla
Old Maids Puzzle

Old Maids Puzzle

Loved this book. I have enjoyed reading the first two books of this series very much. Terri Thayer has it down for a great mystery. I love to quilt and reading mysteries so I get the best of both worlds. Keep up the good work I can't wait to get started on the next book.
Estella
I settled down to read what I fondly imagined was a quilt-themed cozy mystery. Less than ONE page into the book, I began to wonder if I had accidentally picked up a Harlequin romance novel. What a shame! I really liked Thayer's first book in the series. Off to the thrift shop this one went. I didn't waste time reading the rest of it.
Ali
This book like the last was an enjoyable and well-written read. The characters were well-drawn and remain what I love most about the series. The mystery was incredibly solid maybe even a little better than the one presented in the series opener. I have but one complaint, the need to create romantic tension I suppose is a necessity in series fiction but in this instance Dewey's irritation with Buster escaped me, it simply made no sense and truthfully, it made her momentarily unlikeable. Relations...more
JayeL
Oct 29, 2008 JayeL rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have read the first book
Recommended to JayeL by: Terri Thayer
Shelves: quilt
Wenonah
Not much on the murder mystery part and heavy on the building of storyline with Dewey finding herself.
Corky
This is the second in the Quilting Mystery series featuring Dewey Pellicano. Dewey has recently inherited her mother's quilt shop even though she doesn't know the first thing about quilting. What she does know is how to run a modern business, including online shopping, and finding dead bodies. Solving the mysteries of the dead bodies seems to be easier for Dewey than dealing with her mother's employees who can't face change. Especially her sister-in-law, Kym.
Maryellen
Dewey Pellicano-Quilt store owner, single,has a hunky boyfriend, and she solves mysteries. I had to read it. And it wasn't a bad book. I liked the choice of killer. It could have used more about actual quilting and less whining from the main character but it was entertaining and good fun. I hope the next one tightens up some of the parts that were overdone. Recommend to people who like mysteries and quilting.
Dorinda
This book was good. Although I was expecting a little more quilting in the story. The main character is afraid to use her rotary cutter and there is hardly any mention of actually quilting. It is more about the main character Dewey running her quilt store that her mother left her. I could have done with less story line about Dewey's love life and more mention of quilt projects. Over all it was ok.
Scilla
I read this book because it combined my hobbies of reading mysteries and quilting. It was about a woman who ran a quilt store, inherited from her mother. It had a lot about the financial problems of the store, too much about the woman's love life and family problems, and two dead men in the parking lot. The plot (and the culprit) was pretty far fetched and unbelievable.
Melodie
This is the 2nd in a series and I've really enjoyed both books, so far. Dewey is likeable, but I really wish she'd just get it over with and slap the crap out of her SIL, Kym. What a pain in the ass she is! The mystery was good and I like the interactions between most of the characters. Will be reading #3 soon, and am sorry that it appears it's the last one in the series.
Arlene
Dewey is struggling with life: being the boss of the quilt shop she inherited from her Mom; working with her sister-in-law; the upcoming 20th anniversary sale at the shop; a celibate relationship with her cop boyfriend; and the most disturbing, a dead body in the alley behind the store. The way she deals with all of this makes an entertaining, quick read.
Patricia
I liked the first book. I was not disappointed with the second book in the series. The story progressed from the first book. It also showed more of the main characters life. I think there was the right balance between mystery and the characters lives.

Babs
Feb 06, 2009 Babs rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Who likes Crafts & Mysteries
Shelves: mysteries

I love this series. I never heard of Terri Thayer until I was looking around for another author and stumbled upon her. I am glad I did. I love how she includes crafts into the story. I am looking forward to reading the other books in this series.
Jacquelyn
I liked the quilting aspect of this story however too much of the story line was consumed by the main characters sex life (or lack of one with her boyfriend). This sidelined the focus of the other story lines in the book and got in the way.
Cristina
Simple fun to read book, which was just what I was looking for. It's not a hard core mystery book, but rather a novel with a little mystery. I love these books because they always bring back my quilting bug.
TheChuckster
It was an okay read, figured out who the killer was before the end. Dewey really annoyed me throughout the book acting like B!t@h in heat and that Kym got what she deserved finally
Julia Wilson
I enjoyed the book and the sexual tension between the main character and her boyfriend. I really did not see the ending comoing. I can't wait to read the rest in the series.
Lynne
These are fun cozies. I figured out part of the puzzle, but not the whole plot. I did get irritated that Dewey was fixated on the physical side of her relationship with Buster.
Carol
I like Thayer's writing and this book was a good addition to the series but it seemed to be a little slow at first. The perp was a surprise!

Marion
If you are a quilter you simply will love the books by Terri Thayer. Can´t wait for the next one.
Lacey
Again I liked the story line and mystery, but not the language and some content.
Christine Jensen
enjoyable cozy series, but a bit edgier than I usually enjoy in a cozy.
  • A Drunkard's Path (Someday Quilts Mystery, #2)
  • Death Threads (A Southern Sewing Circle, #2)
  • Steps to the Altar (Benni Harper, #9)
  • A Killer Stitch (A Knitting Mystery, #4)
  • Wreath of Deception (Craft Corner, #1)
  • Blackwork (A Needlecraft Mystery, #13)
  • The Tooth of Time (Maxie and Stretch, #2)
  • Fiber and Brimstone (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #8)
  • Threading the Needle (Cobbled Quilt #4)
  • Charmed Circle (A Cass Shipton Mystery #2)
  • Paper, Scissors, Death (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #1)
  • Bitter Harvest (Orchard, #5)
  • The Cat, The Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
  • The Ghost And The Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #3)
I am the author of seven mysteries. Four quilting mysteries: WILD GOOSE CHASE, OLD MAID'S PUZZLE, OCEAN WAVES, MONKEY WRENCH.

I am a quilter, have been for more than 20 years. I love fabric and reading and writing mysteries.
More about Terri Thayer...
Wild Goose Chase (A Quilting Mystery, #1) Stamped Out (A Stamping Sisters Mystery, #1) Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3) Monkey Wrench Inked Up (Stamping Sisters, #2)