Start by marking “The Good Son: Shaping the Moral Development of Our Boys and Young Men” as Want to Read:
The Good Son: Shaping the Moral Development of Our Boys and Young Men

The Good Son: Shaping the Moral Development of Our Boys and Young Men

Selected by Publishers Weekly as one of the Best Books of 1999, The Good Son is the definitive guide to the moral and emotional development of our boys and young men. Within its pages, Michael Gurian widely credited as the founder of today's "boys movement" takes readers through a complete parenting program, showing how to instill virtues in boys at each stage of life.
For
Published August 1st 2000 by Tarcher (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Son

Jodi
Apr 26, 2014 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of boys
This book got me thinking about my relationship with my son and raising him to be a moral, kind, responsible young man. Not everything is for me, but I certainly picked up some nuggets of wisdom.

Loved the comment, "If boys don't cry tears, they'll cry bullets" - not true certainly for every boy but I have reminded my husband several times to let my sensitive son cry if he needs to at his age that it won't make him a "sissy."

Liked the section on dealing with backtalk and how to handle it appropri
Terelyn
May 22, 2010 Terelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As my dear elder son struggles with his first weeks in the wide wide world of Kindergarten (we've had so many calls from the school!)...
And while his younger brother adjusts to not having his brother to play with...
And after years of getting fed up with discipline books, I found Gurian's The Good Son surprisingly engaging.

I'm happy to read a bit of the biological basis for how boys are different in morality, and why they require different moral training methods than girls. I thought Gurian would
Tree
May 02, 2011 Tree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another parent turned me onto this book. We both have sons. I have sorted through tons of books on parenting and this book offers a great balance of guidelines from the different developmental phases of a boys life (infancy to age 18), to the importance of building your child's moral character without, and I emphasize without preaching, do's and don'ts per se. I appreciate the way Gurian shares his perspective and validations for his point-of-view about guidelines and recommendations for parenti ...more
Colleen
Aug 13, 2009 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I ABSOLUTELY recommend this book to anyone who is raising even just one son (not just for parents of almost five sons) or even just works with boys at any age (Mom, this would be great for you and your social skills group, although with your degree it may be old news!). It provides information on boy biology and psychology, as well as ways to encourage the development of certain traits, and plans for dealing with various "boy specific" challenges. The book is sectioned by age, so I actually only ...more
Marah
May 04, 2008 Marah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of boys
Recommended to Marah by: Valerie
Didn't get as much insight into the inner workings of a boy's mind as I was hoping for. Some information would apply equally to boys and girls. Did like the format of the book, divided into two parts: boy issues, and age issues--made it easy to access the info I was looking for. Good reference book, and I will go back to it in 6-12 months when my boys age to see what issues I can look forward to. Interested to find other parenting books by this author.

He's off about girls naturally having self-e
John Yarbrough
Nov 27, 2010 John Yarbrough rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, psychology

I needed to educate myself about how to direct, discipline and dream with my boys at the appropriate age. It won't be the last time I read this book. Now it will be chapter by chapter and re-reading to keep straight. Gurian seems to offer a balanced and disciplined approach to love boys into adulthood. Some scary stories as parents divorce and the resulting chaos created by it. I bought the book two years ago after a review. I'm glad to have read it and have already applied some ideas.

I started
Jasmin Butrlakorn
I have 2 boys and one more on the way. I knew there was something special I should know about bringing them up right, and this book has helped me understand some of that. I've learned that boys aren't trying to be difficult (because sometimes I wonder...), they are just wired differently. I'm getting a much better perspective than I had before. I can speak to my 6yo and 2yo on a level that they understand.

And now I will be better prepared for interaction with #3 (currently nameless). I'm glad t
Stacey
Apr 07, 2009 Stacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Good information-- I didn't agree with everything he said, but sometimes that is helpful for me to be able to take a step back and really look at his ideas. A lot of good and practical stuff worth revisiting. As always with books broken into ages, I really enjoyed the parts about the boys current stages, it would be good to reread as the boys enter new stages--but I also suspect I might forget... and that will be okay... I can't remember everything... and if I need that information God will remi ...more
Mandi Lee
This is a great book to help you refine and reflect on your parenting practices. I found that a lot of the information was a little common sense, but that is because I come from a religous background and this book focuses on moral development. The book repeatedly states that religion is one of the 'best' ways to instill morality into young boys. I did appreciate the statistics and research that was sited and found that part of the book very interesting. I'll probably read this again when my boy ...more
Nlaramee82
While I didn't agree with all of the advice in the book, I found it interesting and informative particularly in giving me an understanding of how boys "work" biologically and developmentally. It gave me perspective on some of my son's actions and behaviors and ideas on how to channel and direct all that energy!
Letitia
Oct 08, 2012 Letitia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are the mother of a boy this is a must read. I was reading and kept saying to myself how does he know my son so well? Has he been to my house? Wow talk about insight. I got the book when my son was about 3 and I have been back two it at least 3 times since then to read about what he says about my son at various ages.
Kristyn
Feb 18, 2011 Kristyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, family
Pretty solid advice about parenting, specifically geared towards raising boys with good ethics, although largely applicable to all children. The author did a wonderful job of finding and incorporating touching and inspirational narratives and folk stories that I really enjoyed.
Natalie
Apr 26, 2008 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helpful in raising a son. It teaches you ways to best communicate and nurture your son in the early years so that he has a solid foundation and example to follow in the later years of his life. It has scientific explanations of how best to give them the adventures boys need in their lives.
Tisha
Jul 12, 2008 Tisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so far really like this book...for those who have sons or teach/interact with boys, a great read for understanding the development of boy and helping to channel their energy in the positive direction and help them to become great men.
Jen Perez
Nov 01, 2010 Jen Perez is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for the infinite questions of raising a son. I appreciate the age grouping, easy look-up, referencing in this book.
Stephanie
Some great information to help a mom understand her boys. I skimmed the second half of the book since I have no boys in those years, but I am confident I will come back to it as my boys grow older.
Heather
Sep 22, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by a family member- it is very insightful. I told my son I am reading it to know what is going on inside his brain- he looked at me wide eyed!
Kelly
I read Gurian's book only a few years ago after my two boys were already older teens/young adults. I wish I had known about these books sooner.
Michelle
May 16, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by my momma. Good call mom :-) endlessly helpful on sorting out how to handle parenting these wonderful boys. Especially when I'm stumped on my own
Mel
Jul 26, 2008 Mel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information on how boys and girls think and behave and even learn differently.
Good stories and parenting advice. (more than a book of common sense.)
Sahara
Sahara rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2009
Angie
Angie rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2012
Dee Dee
Dee Dee rated it really liked it
May 21, 2012
Christine
Christine rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2008
Kiki
Kiki rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2012
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2010
Niki
Niki rated it really liked it
May 01, 2011
Gitisha
Gitisha rated it really liked it
May 21, 2015
Cyndi Whitmore
Cyndi Whitmore rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2010
Bonny
Bonny rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Best Friends, Worst Enemies: Understanding the Social Lives of Children
  • Real Boys: Rescuing Our Sons from the Myths of Boyhood
  • How to Really Love Your Teenager
  • Late, Lost, and Unprepared: A Parents' Guide to Helping Children with Executive Functioning
  • Right-Brained Children in a Left-Brained World: Unlocking the Potential of Your ADD Child
  • Learning Outside The Lines : Two Ivy League Students With Learning Disabilities And ADHD Give You The Tools For Academic Success and Educational Revolution
  • Boundaries with Teens: When to Say Yes, How to Say No
  • The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander
  • That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week: Helping Disorganized and Distracted Boys Succeed in School and Life
  • Raising Confident Boys: 100 Tips For Parents And Teachers
  • Swagger: 10 Urgent Rules for Raising Boys in an Era of Failing Schools, Mass Joblessness, and Thug Culture
  • Change Your Heart, Change Your Life: How Changing What You Believe Will Give You the Great Life You've Always Wanted
  • Teach Your Children Well: Why Values and Coping Skills Matter More Than Grades, Trophies, or "Fat Envelopes"
  • Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys
  • Parenting by The Book: Biblical Wisdom for Raising Your Child
  • Anger: Handling a Powerful Emotion in a Healthy Way
  • Organizing the Disorganized Child: Simple Strategies to Succeed in School
  • Conquering Chronic Disorganization

“The boy and the man must be raised to see the possibility of self worth, then meet a few others who provide the vision of a road toward it, then spend a lifetime pursing that worth through action and relationship. One of the great tragedies in human life is to be born a male and not be guided toward the value of a man.” 9 likes