Knees Up Mother Earth

Knees Up Mother Earth (Brentford #7)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  465 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Developers are planning to destroy Brentford's beloved soccer grounds. Something must be done, and themen of The Flying Swan—Brentford’s celebrated drinking house—take up the challenge. Norman hasrecently discovered a Victorian computer that holds the secrets of the super-technology of a bygone age, and Archroy has just returned from his seventh voyage withthe fabled Golde...more
Published March 19th 2010 by Gollancz (first published January 1st 2004)

D.A. Cairns
A farcical underdog sporting novel with time travellers, demons and assorted mystical fantasy elements. Have you ever read such a beast? I just finished Knees Up Mother Earth, and whilst I appreciated the craft of the author and the novelty of the concept, including footnoting which I've never seen in a work of fiction before, this book did not really do it for me.

Of the main characters, Jim the gambler and Neville the barmen were sympathetic, caught as they were in circumstances way beyond thei...more
Joseph Teller
Another fine book, 7th in the Brentford Trilogy. Hard to explain, but in the simplest of terms:

A Great and Ancient Evil lurks beneath the turf of the Brentford football pitch... and someone wants to let it out. But before they can they must face the lads of Brentford on and off the field in battle.

This tale borders on the epic, and features most of the cast of the other books in the trilogy plus some of the stars of the books that are fictional in the universe of the trilogy. An apocalypse brin...more
Dan
Pooley and O'Malley, of The Flying Swan Pub, must do all they can to save Brentford's football grounds from being demolished. And that may just mean coaching the local team into winning it all. That is, unless the ancient evil which hides in Brentford decides to have some fun too.
Noel G
Top quality toot!

Fans of the author will love and those unaccustomed to Rankin's drawl may be confused and slightly scared by his style. But so worth it!

I would rec Rankin to anyone.
Alan Smith
Robert Rankin is weird. Robert Rankin is crazy. Robert Rankin is what "The DaVinci Code" would have been like if the Monty Python team had edited it. In short, Robert Rankin is hilarious.

You can pick any of his books - all of which deal with funny, weirdly cosmic goings-on, and how they affect the London suburb of Brentford - and be sure of enjoyable reading. In this one, Pooley and O'Malley, stalwarts of the Flying Swan pub have to find a way to save Brentford football ground from the usual nam...more
Isabel
The 7th book in the Brentford Trilogy and the second book in the Witches of Chiswick Trilogy. When Norman Hartnell of the paper shop collects a large amount of computer spare parts and builds himself a strangely Victorian-looking computer, it starts a string of events involving a buried serpent, Pooley becoming manager of Brentford football team (with Omalley as his PA), H.G. Wells and his Time Machine, and yet another evil corporation based in a pitch black building.[

I'm not sure that it made m...more
Scott
A humorous mixture of sporting underdogs and fantasy battle between good and evil. Great mix of characters and witty dialogue, plus some nods to well-loved sci-fi movies. Very enjoyable read, even if like myself, you've never read any of the other Brentford Trilogy books.
John Rhodes
Well I am not a football fan but, true to most Rankin books, it is not a rerequesite! I'm still getting lost with the Hugo Rune threads but I suspect (and please fellow Rankin fans tell me if I'm wrong) that there may well be a few missing links or ilogical plot devices here or there in this?!

Enway I still enjoyd it muchly!
Eden Mabee
Oh, this book was a HOOT! Again, I reviewed this on my alternate blog, but really... why not pick it up yourself? It's a lot of fun.
Barry Messenger
A fine addition to the collection of Pooley and O'Mally novels. Funny and very original.
Plato
There were some jolly chuckles. Similarities between this footie tale and Jasper Fforde's lacrosse on in 'Something Rotten'?
Nicolas Doye
The best book about football you'll ever read, because there is no football in it.
Penny
loved this book. it's beautifully honest, while being pretty strange at the same time
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
Knees Up Mother Earth (Brentford Trilogy) by Robert Rankin (2005)
Oriana
Knees up Mother Earth (Brentford Trilogy) by Robert Rankin (2005)
Kate Rosanne
I couldn't even get into this.. Probably because its a bit footbally
Oriana
Knees Up Mother Earth (Gollancz SF) by Robert Rankin (2004)
Stoneme Mayo
Have read book but will re-read for review.
Graeme
Pretty good reading - as usual!
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Taggy G.
Taggy G. marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Waterdownerin
Waterdownerin marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
  • Grailblazers
  • Costume Not Included
  • Colony
  • Man-Kzin Wars 6 (Man-Kzin Wars, #6)
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • Paradox (The Nulapeiron Sequence, 1)
  • Stamping Butterflies
"When Robert Rankin embarked upon his writing career in the late 1970s, his ambition was to create an entirely new literary genre, which he named Far-Fetched Fiction. He reasoned that by doing this he could avoid competing with any other living author in any known genre and would be given his own special section in WH Smith."
(from Web Site Story)

Robert Rankin describes himself as a teller of tall...more
More about Robert Rankin...
The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse The Antipope The Brentford Triangle Armageddon: The Musical East of Ealing