Start by marking “The Possessors” as Want to Read:
The Possessors

The Possessors

It all started when a group of British vacations was cut off by an avalanche. The skiing chalet up in the mountains seemed a good place to hold out for a hwile, but then the little boy mysteriously died...or appeared to. And in the impenetrable Swiss Alps something alien stirred... "A science fiction novel that is really frightening. First-rate entertainment." —The Spectat ...more
Published December 20th 2000 by Cosmos Books (PA) (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Possessors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Possessors

Karen Mardahl
Jan 12, 2014 Karen Mardahl rated it it was amazing
A book I read sometime in the past 10 years. I'm adding it to Goodreads to remember it.

One of the scariest science fiction books I have ever read. The blurb for the book here in Goodreads says it all. Some of the scary stuff might be predictable, and then again, it might not be.
Jul 29, 2016 Mitchell rated it really liked it
Well-written sci-fi potboilers by authors like John Christopher, John Wyndham or Stephen King are my literary comfort food. Sometimes you’ve had enough of multi-generational American family sagas or WWII-set Booker nominees. Sometimes you’re a bit overstuffed with beautiful prose that effortlessly reveals deep aspects of the human condition. Sometimes you just want to read an old paperback thriller about an isolated group of people facing an alien threat.

The Possessors is set in a British-run ho
Für die englischen Gäste einer kleinen Schweizer Skihütte hätte es eigentlich ein klassischer Winterurlaub werden sollen. Ein wenig Skifahren, ein wenig wandern und am Abend Après Ski. Als eine Lawine die Urlaube von der Außenwelt abschneidet, nimmt das Unheil seinen Lauf. Ein Kind stirbt unter mysteriösen Umständen, um kurz darauf wieder zu erwachen, und zu verschwinden. Kurz darauf verfällt seine Mutter dem Wahnsinn und greift ihren zweiten Sohn an. Der Vater des Jungen steckt sich am Wahnsinn ...more
Timothy Keable
Aug 06, 2016 Timothy Keable rated it really liked it
This idea is not in any way new but I still found this very enjoyable.
Mar 13, 2015 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Ο Τζον Κρίστοφερ, συγγραφέας του βιβλίου, είναι κυρίως γνωστός στο εξωτερικό για τα βιβλία της εφηβικής σειράς επιστημονικής φαντασίας The Tripods (η τριλογία έχει μεταφραστεί στα ελληνικά), της εφηβικής σειράς φαντασίας The Sword of the Spirits και του δυστοπικού/μετά-αποκαλυπτικού The Death Of Grass, που είναι από τα κλασικότερα βιβλία της κατηγορίας του. Το Οι Δαίμονες, που ο τίτλος στο πρωτότυπο είναι The Possessors και όχι The Devils, όπως λανθασμένα αναφέρεται στην έκδοση του Κάκτου, δεν ε ...more
I cd've been as young as 10 or 11 when I read this. I was in an SF bk club & this is one of the bks I got thru that. It was probably pretty adult for me at the time. Looking at it now it seems more like a mystery or horror bk but I've filed it under SF. Christopher's an English writer, maybe this is close to some Ballard. Page 200:

""Men have recorded the abnormalities of themselves and their fellow humans since they learned how to scratch signs on papyrus. I don't know of anything that's an
Of Christopher's adult books that remain in print, this one was most obviously written for an adult audience. Unlike his other books, quite a bit of time is spent on character development and slowly revealing their motivations. This changes the pacing significantly from all of his other books, including the others that were written for adult audiences. The plot of a small group in trapped in isolation with an evil alien might have been fresh when published. Unfortunately, for today's readers the ...more
Howard Kistler
Feb 22, 2015 Howard Kistler rated it liked it
This isolated tale of an alien presence settling in among a group of snowbound travelers is notable for its setting and the unease that develops between the strangers trapped together. Clearly an influence for the notably bad film "The Crawling Eye", which borrows heavily from the book but replaces the body-hopping outsider with ridiculous eye monsters. A good escapist read with some strong characterisation.
Clark Hallman
I first read The Possessors in August, 1980 and I really enjoyed rereading it now. It takes place at an Alpine Skiing chalet, an isolated hotel run by an English couple. An avalanche cuts the chalet off from the surrounding world and the completely isolated guests must endure a nightmare. One by one they become something inhuman and menacing.
Feb 27, 2012 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started out as a fun and intelligent sci-fi horror show with solid characters, but halfway through the menace of the "evil" deflates for some reason. I will give high marks to Christopher for his portrayal of alcoholism in this one, it felt honest and real.
Daniel Garrison
May 06, 2016 Daniel Garrison rated it did not like it
I've read a lot of his books and I'm a big fan, but boy was this one terrible book. The characters just sit around making stupid decisions and slugging down drink after drink, which probably the exact same things Christopher was doing when he wrote this.
Sep 24, 2009 Samuel rated it it was amazing
Engaging claustraphobic alien terror stuck in a snow-bound Swiss chalet. Excellent characterization as always...and dead body count.
Della Scott
Mar 07, 2015 Della Scott marked it as to-read
I registered a book at!
Apr 26, 2009 Chantel rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult-novels
A couple of my favorite books come from the mind of John Christopher. This won't be included on my favorite's list.
J. Allen Nelson
J. Allen Nelson rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2012
Robert Fowler
Robert Fowler rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2013
Debbie Noxon
Debbie Noxon rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2012
mahsa rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2007
Carol rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2012
Chuck Hatcher
Chuck Hatcher rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Emlyn Jones
Emlyn Jones rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
Karl Brown
Karl Brown rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2014
Pedro rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Olivia Coyle
Olivia Coyle rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Julie rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2011
Francisco Duarte
Francisco Duarte rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2013
David rated it really liked it
May 14, 2009
mimusha rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2010
Omega rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2009
Joao rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • War Games
  • Marune: Alastor 933
  • The City of the Beast or Warriors of Mars (Michael Kane 1)
  • The Dramaturges of Yan
  • Thebes of the Hundred Gates
  • The Exile Waiting
  • The Empire of Fear
  • Lord Tedric (Lord Tedric #1)
  • The Warriors of Dawn (Ler, #1)
  • The Day the Martians Came
  • Yurth Burden
  • Year's Best SF 10
  • The Saliva Tree and Other Strange Growths
  • The Maracot Deep
Sam Youd was born in Lancashire in April 1922, during an unseasonable snowstorm.

As a boy, he was devoted to the newly emergent genre of science-fiction: ‘In the early thirties,’ he later wrote, ‘we knew just enough about the solar system for its possibilities to be a magnet to the imagination.’

Over the following decades, his imagination flowed from science-fiction into general novels, cricket nove
More about John Christopher...