The Possessors

The Possessors

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  8 reviews
It all started when a group of British vacations was cut off by an avalanche. The skiing chalet up in the mountains seemed a good place to hold out for a hwile, but then the little boy mysteriously died...or appeared to. And in the impenetrable Swiss Alps something alien stirred... "A science fiction novel that is really frightening. First-rate entertainment." —The Spectat...more
Published December 20th 2000 by Cosmos Books (PA) (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Possessors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Possessors

sabisteb
Für die englischen Gäste einer kleinen Schweizer Skihütte hätte es eigentlich ein klassischer Winterurlaub werden sollen. Ein wenig Skifahren, ein wenig wandern und am Abend Après Ski. Als eine Lawine die Urlaube von der Außenwelt abschneidet, nimmt das Unheil seinen Lauf. Ein Kind stirbt unter mysteriösen Umständen, um kurz darauf wieder zu erwachen, und zu verschwinden. Kurz darauf verfällt seine Mutter dem Wahnsinn und greift ihren zweiten Sohn an. Der Vater des Jungen steckt sich am Wahnsinn...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
I cd've been as young as 10 or 11 when I read this. I was in an SF bk club & this is one of the bks I got thru that. It was probably pretty adult for me at the time. Looking at it now it seems more like a mystery or horror bk but I've filed it under SF. Christopher's an English writer, maybe this is close to some Ballard. Page 200:

""Men have recorded the abnormalities of themselves and their fellow humans since they learned how to scratch signs on papyrus. I don't know of anything that's an...more
Karen Mardahl
A book I read sometime in the past 10 years. I'm adding it to Goodreads to remember it.

One of the scariest science fiction books I have ever read. The blurb for the book here in Goodreads says it all. Some of the scary stuff might be predictable, and then again, it might not be.
Clark Hallman
I first read The Possessors in August, 1980 and I really enjoyed rereading it now. It takes place at an Alpine Skiing chalet, an isolated hotel run by an English couple. An avalanche cuts the chalet off from the surrounding world and the completely isolated guests must endure a nightmare. One by one they become something inhuman and menacing.
Aaron
Started out as a fun and intelligent sci-fi horror show with solid characters, but halfway through the menace of the "evil" deflates for some reason. I will give high marks to Christopher for his portrayal of alcoholism in this one, it felt honest and real.
Samuel
Engaging claustraphobic alien terror stuck in a snow-bound Swiss chalet. Excellent characterization as always...and dead body count.
Chantel
A couple of my favorite books come from the mind of John Christopher. This won't be included on my favorite's list.
Alisha
Jan 17, 2013 Alisha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
creepy. swiss. fun.
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Lindenizen
Lindenizen marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Bix
Bix added it
Mar 29, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
2001324
John Christopher is the pseudonym under which the British science fiction author Samuel Youd has been most successful. Youd has written under the following pseudonyms:
• John Christopher
• Stanley Winchester
• Hilary Ford
• William Godfrey
• Peter Graaf
• Peter Nichols
• Anthony Rye

He is best known for The Tripods trilogy, published under the pseudonym John Christopher.

His novels were popular during the...more
More about John Christopher...
The White Mountains (The Tripods, #1) The City of Gold and Lead (The Tripods, #2) The Pool of Fire (The Tripods, #3) The Death of Grass When the Tripods Came (The Tripods, #4)