Start by marking “Undeleted Scenes” as Want to Read:
Undeleted Scenes

Undeleted Scenes

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Undeleted Scenes presents a decade's worth of shorter works from indie comics legend Jeffrey Brown. This huge compendium contains stories from the previous collections Minisulk, Every Girl Is the End of the World for Me, and Feeble Attempts, as well as Jeffrey's work from anthologies such as Kramers Ergot and McSweeney's, plus rare material from minicomics and elsewhere, i ...more
Published June 29th 2010 by Top Shelf Productions (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Undeleted Scenes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undeleted Scenes

David Schaafsma
Why is it I never read this book when I have devoured almost anything I can get my hands on my Jeffery Brown? I think it's my misreading of his title, as if it were sort of like just a bunch of miscellaneous stuff that most people wouldn't care about... not YET deleted... I dunno. Well, I STILL would have maybe considered a different title, but I'll get over it. And the point is these are NOT deleted scenes, they are here, and worth reading, autobiographical sketches arranged in a kind of chrono ...more
Jasmine
jeffrey brown makes me smile... although he makes his pregnant girlfriend look insane. good reason to never have a baby
Margot
I've been really enjoying memoir/autobiographical graphic novels lately, and this one is pretty great. I always wonder the ancillary characters included in memoir and autobiography feel about their portrayals, and my curiosity is even stronger in the graphic novel realm. How do these family members, friends, and random characters feel about their appearance and remembered dialogue and actions? Do they feel cheated, betrayed, or honored? Maybe I'll meet some and can ask them someday. So, with all ...more
Jason
Some of my favorite songs are b-sides, so it makes sense that this turned out to be one of my favorite Jeffrey Brown books. I'd read some of these stories before ("Just Don't Stop" from Blood Orange, "Don't Look Them in the Eye" from Kramer's Ergot, and the mini-book "Every Girl is the End of the World to Me," which I always thought was a real gem), but it was great to re-read these and to have them all in one place (especially since I only read the Kramer's story once at Comic Relief -- I could ...more
Tessa
Is this a collection of Jeffrey Brown's mini-comics? There wasn't an introduction.

Anyway, it's hard to stop me from reading straight through his books once I have them, no matter how... sad? they make me feel? I don't know if that's the right word. Jeffrey Brown's striving within his infatuations always brings back a visceral feeling of being a teenager in a small town, lonely and wondering what it feels like to find someone who will love you. It's strange, I know, because he's writing from the
christopher
After going through a period of mild fascination with Jeffrey Brown, where I would check for him first in every anthology and read whatever he had to offer (and he is in just about every anthology), I went through another period where I was mentally disparaging of him and didn't want to see any of his comics ever again. I don't know why this occurs. But this collection brought me back around (and it contains alot of those early pieces I liked, and some later ones I, then, didn't. Again: I don't ...more
Burrito Hayworth
Cartoonists rarely lead interesting lives and Jeffrey Brown is no exception. He spends his time drawing in cafes and chatting with friends. He's an aimless, amiable person.

But when put to paper his life is strangely charming. As he states in the introduction, Brown has managed to find meanings in his anecdotal existence.

Brown's draftsmanship is unironed to match his appearance. It suits the stories. Add Undeleted Scenes to the same, small pile as American Elf of good autobiographical comics.
Brad
Dear Jeffrey Brown, it's been a couple years since I've read any of your books about cripplingly awkward relationship comics. I missed you, and especially loved re-reading "Be A Man," which is the perfect antidote to otherwise acceptable emotional responses to girls.
The long story about five girls over the holidays didn't have as much of a payoff as I was expecting, but this jumble of short stories is pretty great.
jt
I almost didn't buy this book since I own almost every piece in it (it contains comics from various anthologies and publications), but I'm really really glad that I did. There are several previously unpublished pieces that definitely made it worthwhile, "Pregnant Pause" in particular. Plus, it was fun to revisit comics I hadn't read in a while in a larger context. Jeffrey Brown does it again!
Lindsay
At first I wasn't so sure about this compilation--the stories weren't very engaging and both the drawing and the writing were sloppy enough I had a hard time deciphering it all. However, it picked up momentum, and I came to really appreciate the honest take on his own thoughts and behavior as well as those around him. "Pregnant Pause" and "Be a Man" were my particular faves.
Sharni Benson
I am a fan of Jeffrey Brown. I love his Star Wars books and his observations of life books but this autobiography....well the thing with the Star Wars books is that they had context. This has context but I don't know it, so I was rather lost a lot of the time and it was rather crowded so gave me a headache.

I think I'll just stick to his Star Wars books.
PJ
I love everything that Jeffrey Brown makes. This book is no exception. The only problem I have is that he includes the entirety of EGITEOTWFM, as well as excerpts from a few of his other books. He could have left those out and still had a very good, if somewhat shorter, book. I would definitely suggest reading this if you have enjoyed any of his work.
Nick Jones
Toward the end of Undeleted Scenes a character in one of the strips says of Jeffrey Brown's work: "It's dripping with self-pity! And the art is strictly amateur!" That's as good a description as I would have given it, though I'd add that almost none of the stories in the book felt as if they were remotely interesting enough to bother telling.
Jac Sevasta
Ugh. I am a huge fan of this artist, but maybe I'm just into his Clumsy-esque relationship-y stuff and not the things that were in this one? I liked his out-of-sync style in other books, but I guess when the timeline AND the subject matter were disjointed, it didn't quite work for me. Wah.
Robin
Jeffrey Brown's work is always a pleasure to read. His drawings may be simpler stylistically than some artists, but in a way that brings out humor, warmth, and sad moments in the text. Recommended to anyone looking for comics about sex and relationships.
Steve
I'd pretty much reach almost all of this book already, as it simply collects some of Brown's smaller books of short stories. But for anyone who hasn't, there's plenty to enjoy, and even those who have read it all already might still find some new pieces.
Linnie Greene
Charmed by these simple, slice-of-life drawings that aren't pretentious or laborious to read. These are just things that happened, most of them exaggerated or humorous. Altogether winsome, sweet... dare I even say the word twee? Went there.
Craig
Cute. I know that's a naughty word, but it's what I think of when I read his work.

There were segments in this one which made me feel as if I were reading my own life.

I feel like this collection was a little disjointed, but good nonetheless.
Frank
Collection of Brown's shorter pieces from over the years with a real wide range in quality. His voice still comes through so if you're a fan (like me), you'll enjoy the familiar territory.
Claire
I love Jeffrey Brown, but this was just really...ok. He gives us snippets from his life, but not enough to satisfy. Reading this was like watching a bunch of movie trailers.
Bruce713
This is full of extra stories I loved reading about. His little brother makes an appearance and other friends do too. A must-read for J. Brown fans. :)
Anna
Other than the somewhat unpleasant to read section about being a jerk to girls, I laughed so hard I cried. Ramen! Oh man, kills me.
Sara
Man my window for enjoying Jeffrey brown comics sure has passed. I so don't get the appeal anymore. Anyone want to buy a bunch of them?
Chris
A nice catch-all for some of Brown's less substantial work. I particularly enjoyed the sections dealing with his becoming a father.
Kyle
Maybe not as cohesive as Funny Misshapen Boy, however still funny, enjoyable and light reading.
Abi Travis
Everyone who's ever been anyone should read all of the Jeffrey Browns they can get their paws on.
I liked the variety in this one, and the commentary on Clumsy in "Be a Man."
Ali
Good! Like all Jeffrey Brown comics, obviously.

Love the ones about birds.
BrieAnna
The last few comics made me die of laughing.
Will
  • Need More Love
  • The Playboy
  • Awkward and Definition: The High School Comic Chronicles of Ariel Schrag
  • Dotter of Her Father's Eyes
Jeffrey Brown was born in 1975 in Grand Rapids, Michigan and grew up reading comic books with dreams of someday drawing them, only to abandon them and focus on becoming a 'fine artist.' While earning his MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Brown abandoned painting and began drawing comics with his first autobiographical book 'Clumsy' in 2001. Since then he's drawn a dozen books fo ...more
More about Jeffrey Brown...
Darth Vader and Son Vader's Little Princess Clumsy Unlikely Star Wars: Jedi Academy