Many Nations: An Alphabet of Native America

Many Nations: An Alphabet of Native America

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Illustrations and brief text present aspects of the lives of the many varied native peoples across North America.
Published August 1st 1998 by Troll Communications (first published 1997)

Employing an alphabet format, the renowned author (of Abenaki Indian descent) introduces children to the vast array of Native American peoples found throughout North America. Although each page/ alphabet letter only has one sentence, the author has chosen his words very precisely to give us a glimpse into the life of that group of people. The beautifully painted illustrations that accompany each concept/ sentence help us to more fully understand the words of the author. I really like the author’...more
Kristi Bernard
The Native American culture is very diverse. More than four hundred varied tribes were on this land before Columbus. Young readers will go through the alphabet one tribe at a time and learn about tribal traditions.

“Goshute trackers moving like the bear.”
The illustrations showing a man dancing in a bear skin alongside an image of a brown bear.

“Otoe fathers teaching sons how to walk with care.”
The illustration show a father helping a son cross a stream on a log.

Vivid illustrations depict the Na...more
Londa
The illustrations in this book are superb! Loved the colors and the warmth on every page. The text was sparse but effective. I almost graded it down a star for lack of text until I realized that every page sparked a discussion about what was going on in the pictures. Discussions about buffaloes, canoes, the design of the homes... almost every page could be used as a topic starter. It was wonderful that Bruchac included groups that are not as well known as others.

My biggest gripe is that there w...more
Lin Lin
I would recommend this book to kindergarteners up to 4th graders even though it is just an alphabet book. Among the hundreds of native American tribes, Joseph Bruchac, the Abenaki storyteller and author, selects and portrays the diverse cultures of twenty-six Native American communities. Hopefully children will learn about the indigenous people as they were in the past and as they are today with fewer stereotypes.
Cheryl in CC NV
Too brief - some children, and teachers, will think that 'oh, we read that, we're done.' Way too much 'Noble Savage' - First Americans are not heroes of the past, they are people. Some individuals are good, some are bad, and many live in America here and now, usually wearing more than a breech-clout.
Rebekah
I love this book. The illustrations are beautiful, and it serves as a great reminder that there are many nations. We mustn't lump together all Native Americas (I usually use "American Indian", but when I did so in a classroom, those of Eastern/Asian Indian descent identified that way).
Keidra Polite
It goes through the alphabet and each letter describes a Native American tradition. It is a good book to use to teach about Native Americans and history. It could also be used as a tool to build activities and projects off of.
booklady
Jun 17, 2008 booklady rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: art lovers
My children were past needing an alphabet book when I bought this, so I suppose it was really for me--I just love the illustrations! Treat yourself to it!
Eden
This is an alphabet of some Native American tribes. It is a nice book with beautiful illustrations.
Danielle Wynn
This book shows so much diversity in the Native American culture.
Culture & Diversity
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Kerry
Kerry added it
Nov 03, 2013
Andd Becker
Andd Becker marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Terry
Terry added it
Jul 26, 2013
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Joseph Bruchac lives with his wife, Carol, in the Adirondack mountain foothills town of Greenfield Center, New York, in the same house where his maternal grandparents raised him. Much of his writing draws on that land and his Abenaki ancestry. Although his American Indian heritage is only one part of an ethnic background that includes Slovak and English blood, those Native roots are the ones by wh...more
More about Joseph Bruchac...
Code Talker: A Novel About the Navajo Marines of World War Two Skeleton Man Dragon Castle Wolf Mark Sacajawea