Start by marking “Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me” as Want to Read:
Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me

Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  2,068 Ratings  ·  429 Reviews

KJ Carson lives an outdoor lover's dream. The only daughter of a fishing and wildlife guide, KJ can hold her own on the water or in the mountains near her hometown outside Yellowstone National Park. But when she meets the shaggy-haired, intensely appealing Virgil, KJ loses all self-possession. And she's not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that they're assigned to

Published May 13th 2010 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me, please sign up.

Juliaj I read it when I was about 11 or 12. I don't remember there being anything vulgar or inappropriate, but it was also a couple years ago. I tend to…moreI read it when I was about 11 or 12. I don't remember there being anything vulgar or inappropriate, but it was also a couple years ago. I tend to remember that stuff, and I don't remember anything like that about this book. I remember loving it actually!(less)

Katrina Passick Lumsden
[image error]Photobucket

The only thing this book succeeded in doing was making me change my mind about ever visiting Montana.

Everyone in this book was an asshole. Seriously, everyone. There wasn't one likeable character in the entire damn thing, and less than halfway through, I wanted to crawl inside and firebomb everything. Everything.

The interpersonal relationships were just fucking bizarre. Everyone treats everyone else like total shit. It doesn't matter who they are. Like a girl? Treat her like shit.
Annalisa
Mar 20, 2010 Annalisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annalisa by: goodreads giveaway
It's so nice to read a YA book about real issues. And I'm not talking about the awkwardness of being a teenage girl, of wearing the wrong outfit, of feeling that everyone else is popular and you're a social leper, of not understanding what boys mean or why they do the things they do, of struggling with an overbearing parent you can't relate to, although the book is about that too. But it's also about a world that's larger than us. In this case, it's about the Wolf Reintroduction Program at Yello ...more
Mollie
Feb 11, 2010 Mollie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2010, may, library
The first thing that should be mentioned about this book is that it is NOT a paranormal teen book. We're not talking were-wolves here. I think with the cover (which I love!) and the flood of paranormal teen books out that that should be made clear!

KJ who has, in her father's words, "blossomed" over the summer but, unlike many other teen novels where the ugly duckling turns into a beauty, she doesn't miraculously become popular. Love it. I think it's a good lesson for teens (and the rest of us) t
Holly
Nov 24, 2010 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Campaigning for the wolves of Yellowstone National Park was never in sixteen-year-old KJ Carson’s plans. Small town, park life and the outdoors is such an inseparable part of her already, how was writing about the wolves in the school newspaper any different? Growing up in West End, Montana with a wildlife guide and sports shopkeeper for a dad, her daily life has consisted of rowing, fishing, and going wolf watching and elk hunting during tourist season. So why would it be seen as taking sides i ...more
Melannie :)
Dec 28, 2010 Melannie :) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011, favorites
I LOOOOOVED THIS BOOK.

I know it's a little early in the year to say this,
but it will probably be my favorite of 2011,
it has THAT potencial.

It was amazing. It was one of those times when you just love EVERYTHING about a book. Even though it couldn't be more
alien to me, not even paranormal books are farther from my reality,
yet I loved it. And connect with every character, understood everyone of them.

And if you're like me a don't really care about wolves,
it doesn't matter! the wolf part is not bo
Janice (Janicu)
3.5. Again: I wish goodreads gave half stars.

Review originally from my book review (wordpress / livejournal)

I’ve been interested in reading Wolves, Boys, & Other Things That Might Kill Me ever since I read Holly’s review where she said her “expectations held up from the first page until the last”. Yup, it was grabbed on an impulse at a bookstore when I was in Southern New England, and I settled into it quite happily when I got home.

The Premise: When the wolves were reintroduced into Yellowst
Apr 08, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read the book, Wolves, Boys, and Other Things That Might Kill Me, because of its title. Yes, it is lengthy, but it caught my attention and got me to open the book. The book was an easy read (I finished it in about a day) and definitely a page-turner, but I was disappointed with the book as a whole.

Here are the reasons why:

The book is really not about wolves. It is about KJ, the protagonist, and the relationships she forms with her father, Virgil, and the townspeople. Even the portio
Penelope
Sep 28, 2011 Penelope marked it as will-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-books
I'm not giving this a rating because I did not--and will not--finish it. But I'm definitely including my reasons why. Here's the thing:

The beginning rocked. It started off as something potentially compelling. I even wrote down a few quotes, wanting to remember them. But I was more than half-way through the book when I realized that I just didn't care for it at all. The story felt contrived; all made up to fit around a big environmental message. I don't mind messages (and I donated to the save th
Jill
Jun 14, 2010 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a great first novel for this author. I found the dialogue to be too sitcom-ish at times, just too many ready replies. But I thought there was a complexity to the plot that was great for a first novel. I liked how there were a number of different focuses that played off each other and carried the story along. I have to say also though, that I've spent a lot of days in the Lamar Valley driving around looking for wolves and anything else and in all those visits combined never saw ...more
Morgan
This is going to have to be a DNF.

Between everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) treating everyone else like shit and the awkward way everything was presented, I have ceased to have the ability to deal.

Kate
Sep 17, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read a ton of contemporary YA fiction- a lot of times I want the escape that comes with paranormal and fantasy, but every once in a while I will scoop up something more realistic. The quickest way to get me to grab your book? Yellowstone. It's as easy as that. So this book, set just outside the park in Montana and focusing on the controversy that came with the reintroduction of wolves in 1997, was a no brainer. I've done reports on the subject and spent countless hours sitting on the hil ...more
John Clark
Jul 07, 2014 John Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
K.J. Carson is drifting through life. Her mom was killed in a car crash when she was three and her father, a lawyer, switched careers, possibly in response to his loss. He's a fishing and hunting guide in West End, Montana, a town bordering Yellowstone National Park and runs a sporting goods store to help make ends meet during the slow times. He expects K.J. To help out, both in the store and as a grunt on wildlife viewing and fishing trips. He's on her case most of the time and he's unable to s ...more
Mary Etta
May 16, 2010 Mary Etta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary Etta by: Karen, SLTrib
When Karen told us her girlhood friend wrote this the title didn't interest me. But after reading the Salt Lake Tribune article this morning, I'm interested in this YA. http://www.sltrib.com/arts/ci_15072145

Maybe its the Yellowstone connection, or the Stegner epigrams, or the "scenes capturing the weather." Maybe its the wolves or another look at youth.

Hope to be at the Kings English Saturday afternoon to hear the author.

Met the author and bought her book for Karen who was a childhood friend of
Kimberleigh
Feb 02, 2010 Kimberleigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This is the best book I've read in a long time. By far the best book I've read so far this year. I recommend this book to everyone to read at least once. I know I'll probably pick it up again sometime and read it again because yeah, it was totally that good. I bought this one the day it came out because I've been waiting for it for a while and I like any stories about nature and wildlife.

KJ Carson lives with her dad and has a pretty outdoorsy life. She lives in what is practically the middle
Natalie
I love good surprises and this book definately counts!

I bought this on a whim because it mentioned Yellowstone, which is a major obsession of mine. I figured (wrongly) that because it is YA book with a girl and a wolf on the cover it would be a melodramatic werewolf book about a girl from out of town or something. You know?

But I was totally wrong! This book was great! KJ, the heroine, lives in a slightly fictionalized version of West Yellowstone Montana and works in her father's fishing shop a
Tara Chevrestt
Feb 03, 2010 Tara Chevrestt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, library, 2010-release
Liked it, didn't love it. I thought the heroine's dad ruined the story a bit. There was something wrong with him....

Anyways, very good story highlighting the controversies of the wolves in Yellowstone. It doesn't hold a candle to The Loop by Nicholas Evans, but as this is aimed at the younger crowd, I thought it did pretty well. It's the angry cow owning rednecks vs the hippy wolf loving tree huggers. LOL. (No offense to anyone. This is how they come across in the book.)

A school newspaper sorta
Kiirsi Hellewell
I LOVED this book. Loved, loved, LOVED. And I am not exactly sure why...it's more of a "quiet" book in a way, with complicated characters and problems. There's sadness, and hatred.

But the main characters really do a lot of growing and changing. They're not the same people at the end of the book as they were at the start, and it happens so skillfully that you don't even realize the gradual progress. I like the romantic relationship and I like the fact that this is a CLEAN book really, without a
Nicole
May 30, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for a little substance with their teen angst
Great jacket art and design.

And the story is pretty good, too. A awkwardly clumsy, but ultimately likeable girl feels like an outcast in her small town. Think Bella from Twilight, but with more substance...and likeable. With LOADS of nonfiction info about wolves, it walked the line of sounding like a textbook but never actually crossed it. With the exception of a ridiculously melodramatic moment near the end, the book felt plausible.

My one beef with this book and the reason I bumped it from 4 st
Jennifer W
Feb 06, 2011 Jennifer W rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
While I overall enjoyed this book, it was obviously a first novel. I liked KJ's sense of humor, but a lot of her other emotions didn't quite ring true for me. It seems like she spent most of the novel mad at her crush for no apparent reason (he also seemed to not like her most of the time). I also couldn't understand her dad's reactions to her most of the time. At times he seemed like he was demanding to the point of wanting her to be perfect and at other times he didn't even know she existed. I ...more
AnnaBnana
Jul 03, 2010 AnnaBnana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
KJ is the daughter of a widowed Yellowstone guide. She lives in a small town where everyone remembers every embarrassing thing she's ever done...in her whole life. Changes are afoot though. KJ has "blossomed" over the summer and there's a new boy in town. Plus, with the reintroduction of wolves into the park, the town is dividing into pro- and anti-wolf.

To me this book is about friendship, first love, seeing all sides of a situation, being a creative and empathetic problem solver, and the diffe
Caity
so... Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me..i think i was disappointed because i was soo excited to read it.
but i didn't even finish it. i DID NOT like the characters.
the father is an ass hole. the whole town is a bunch of Neanderthals. and the main characters is a really courageous kind of person, but SHE NEVER says anything to her dad! Not in what i read!
and i couldn't get over that.
GROW SOME LADY BALLS.
the whole time she's standing up to the crude people in the town, she never st
Karen
May 09, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought I was connecting to this book mostly because it was written by a childhood friend and I really enjoyed a few cameo appearances of people and places I knew. As the story moved along, however, I was felt strongly connected to the characters and story for their own sake. The dialogue is snappy and real. The conflict is presented in a thoughtful way from many points of view. Well done!
Nicole
Sep 04, 2015 Nicole rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a big fat snooze-fest. Even as an animal lover, I couldn't care less about the wolves. All the people in the book are jerks! I didn't like one character at all. They are all mean & their interactions, conversations & relationships with each other are weird.

I wanted to punch KJ's father in the face & I wanted her to stand up to him. I didn't actually finish this book so she may have in the end.

I'm practically falling asleep just writing this review.
Lissa
Oct 03, 2010 Lissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friendship, we-own
This novel breezed by several important subjects, from environmentalism to civil discourse, without starting a rant on either. She also touches on self esteem, family relationships, love, and life in a small town. I felt she addressed each of these subjects lightly enough to not go deep, but spent enough time on them that it didn't feel flukey. Though it's almost a children's book, this is a good afternoon read and since I'm a title and cover sucker, I have to say I love both.
Suzanne
May 29, 2010 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book! It was interesting, fun, and hard to put down. I didn't want it to end. It was the kind of book I would have loved as a teenage girl; but it still held my attention as an adult. Her writing brought me emotionally back to my own adolescence, in a good way. I thought it was a great "coming of age" book. I can't wait to see what else she writes.
CC
May 16, 2011 CC rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The wolves were the only really interesting characters in this attempt to reimagine the Twilight cast in a non-paranormal setting. The people are stereotypical and the author creates a whole bunch of problems, then insists that they're solved, even though they're clearly not.
Angela
Mar 05, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Delightfully NOT paranormal werewolf romance.

A practical, environmental teen novel that will be enjoyed by many. Great for mother-daughter book clubs, contemporary rural fiction, and clean YA romance.

More to come on www.my3books.com
Allison
Oct 23, 2014 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was different than I expected it to be but I didn't mind in the slightest! It was a nice read and I enjoyed it thoroughly.
LuAnn
Mar 05, 2011 LuAnn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I love it when a book allows both the characters to grow and the plot events to come full-circle. A great book and one I'll definitely recommend to my students.
Denée
May 14, 2010 Denée rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very impressive debut for Ms. Chandler. I found the present tense annoying occasionally for some reason - it's probably just me. Not a book I couldn't put down but a satisfying read overall.
  • The Nascenza Conspiracy (The Cassaforte Chronicles, #3)
  • The Beautiful Between
  • Somebody Everybody Listens To
  • Nilda
  • Swoon at Your Own Risk
  • Sea
  • Faithful (Faithful, #1)
  • The Snowball Effect
  • Boys, Bears, and a Serious Pair of Hiking Boots
  • Invisible Girl
  • Everlasting (Everlasting, #1)
  • My Invisible Boyfriend
  • Tagged
  • Stranded
  • So Many Boys (The Naughty List, #2)
  • The Girl with the Mermaid Hair
  • The Pillow Book of Lotus Lowenstein
  • The Summer I Got a Life
Random Stuff about Me

Why I Became a Writer: I like cookies. When I was five years old there was a toddler that lived across the street that cried all the time. I remember the little girl’s mother sitting out on front porch, looking exhausted one morning. I walked over and asked her if her daughter would like me to tell her a story. I’m sure this young mom thought I was a strange but her daughter s
More about Kristen Chandler...

“The thing about an Alpha, male or female, is that they can lead. When things get desperate they attack instead of retreat.” 16 likes
“I would laugh at all my provincial inmates, but I’m too busy lusting. I’m not usually interested in a guy with “take a number” on his forehead, but this guy doesn’t have a forehead — it’s buried in messy blond hair. And he’s not one of the twenty guys I’ve known my entire pubescent life. he smiles like the Fourth of July. What’s a dumb girl to do but get in line with everyone else not in his league? I guess journalism just became my most beloved class.” 10 likes