Start by marking “Iron Man 2: The Junior Novel” as Want to Read:
Iron Man 2: The Junior Novel

Iron Man 2: The Junior Novel (Iron Man Movie Tie-Ins #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  38 reviews
A fast-paced and engaging junior novelization of Iron Man 2, the guaranteed blockbuster coming to theaters May 7, 2010!
Published April 7th 2010 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Iron Man 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iron Man 2

Caprice Hokstad
The only surprise in this book (where it differed from the movie) was the end. I'm glad the director/producer/whoever changed it though, because it was MUCH funnier to have the Ex-Wife missile be a dud because it was "Hammer Tech". Funniest line in the whole movie. In this book, however, the Ex-Wife functions properly. Its use did not ruin the story and I was actually rather glad to read an alternate ending, just for interest sake.

I also read this as research, as I'm considering writing fan fict
Melissa
BookMarc
What have they done? And can Iron Man himself hold those responsible accountable? A shot to the cranium with a repulsor ray is certainly in order for them.
There's really only one place to begin with this review and that is the unforgivable editing that was inconceivably bad and left me in disgust. On page 70 we are introduced to Natalie Rushman where she steps into the ring with Happy and nothing transpires according to the text other than her flipping the gloves back to Happy. Later in the nove
Margaret Fisk
Iron Man 2 may be the first novelization of a screenplay that I have read, and as an introduction, I think it was quite a good one. I� m an old time comic book reader, and I� ve gone to every comic-based movie that I can, including the first Iron Man, so when LibraryThing.com had some review copies of Iron Man 2, I signed up. I wasn� t sure what to expect though, because I hadn� t read a comic-book to screenplay to novel before, as I said, and I was concerned that the feel of a comic book would ...more
Eric
The Iron Man movies are fun because of Robert Downey, Jr. He’s a charismatic actor who’s turned Tony Stark into a swishy disco playboy. Downey’s patter is (more or less) retained in this Iron Man 2 novelization, although you get a sense that the author is working from a preliminary script that was later rewritten by script doctors, ad-libbed by actors and edited in the studio. That’s good news for the movie audience, but bad news for the novel reader.

This time around, the villain is a guy named
Minato-ISB
The first thing I want to say about this book is that Iron Man is the coolest weapon on the earth. I have watched the movie before I read this book. So it was easy to understand what mainly is going on in the story but I did not quite understand about details in the movie. So this was good to read and understand the details about the story. I had to look up some technical terms that character uses when they talk about Iron Man but other than that, there were not so many words I do not know. So I ...more
Rhonda
It was a mistake for me to enter the draw for this book. I should know better. I think the thought process was a combination of 'Hey, I liked Iron Man' and 'Well, I'll never win anyway'. Well, I did win, but had I been thinking I would have known that 'Hey I liked this movie' in no way means I might like the novel based on the screenplay of the sequel.

I don't envy Mr. Irvine's job in having to write a novel based on a movie and as far as adaptations of that type go I'm sure he did a fine job, bu
Loveless_chocobo
I have been a fan of Iron Man since the first movie hit theaters. Being a reader, I always look for novelizations of movies in order to get more depth and detail on what I have seen. I read the first novelization done by Peter David and was surprised that the second Iron Man novelization was not done by him as well. Despite any hesitancy's I had about Alexander Irvine, he did a magnificent job on the novel.

Tony Stark is back, but not in as good condition as we left him last. Despite how well his
Amanda
The editing in this book was horrendous. There are quit a number of inconsistencies that crop up throughout the story. Names and dates were swapped out, such as Ivan being referred to as Anton once or twice, and the author references the giant Arc Reactor (from the first movie) blowing up two years ago (incorrect) a few times, and then again mentions that it blew up six months ago (correct).

Also, its pretty obvious the author wasn't working with the final draft of the screenplay. The differences
Hobbes
I like reading the novelization of movies that I enjoy, I like getting that litle bit of extra. A bit more character insight and scene depth. This book fell a bit short of that, in fact was a bit of a disappointment. Pepper is a strong character in the movies and in the comics, the novelization turns her into a whiney, ineffective, spineless git. And it invalidates the redemption of Tony Stark. While he is concerned about dying there is none of the 'looking to the future' that was displayed in t ...more
Michael
The first "Iron Man" movie got a novelization by Peter David.

This time around, it's Alexander Irvine putting pen to the sequel and, quite frankly, not bringing a lot to the table.

Irvine does well enough in translating most of the script to the printed page but where David could relate action sequences in ways that it was easy for the reader to visualize, Irvine doesn't quite have the same knack. The initial battle with Whiplash and later confrontations become confused and scattered a bit, almos
Ivy
Didn't really care for this book. I got it as part of the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. I am a big Marvel Comics fan and thought when I put my name in for a copy that this would be a good sequel to the first movie and might actually be good.

My problem with this book was that there were references to action that had happen earlier in the book that either I completely forgot about or else was never in the book to start with. How can Natalie have bested Happy in the ring and I not remember it???
Stacey
Won this in the first reads giveaway. This author had a very tough task. Most movies are based on books and the books are always better. This book was based on a movie. I actually saw the movie while in the middle of reading this book and you can tell the author had an early version of the script because some of the scenes were edited out of the movie. (They were in the commercials though.) I thought he did a good job. The book and the movie are both very good, but when you have them together yo ...more
Bridget

In the first Iron Man, Tony Stark admits to the world that he is in fact the hero everyone has been talking about. The United States military wants to get their hands on the Iron Man suit and use it as a weapon. When a ruthless killer comes after Tony, he soon realizes that his suit may not be the most powerful weapon after all. Can he save people from the mass destruction his enemy is ready to unleash on the world or will it be all he can do to make it out himself?

I love superheros and I love b
Steven
I am biologically incapable of passing up spoilers, and I always read superhero movie novelizations before I see the movie because of this.

This wasn't such a great novelization- Irvine does a great job with the characterization, but he's lousy at writing action sequences, and this is a story with many action sequences.

I also got the sense that the author was writing from an unfinished draft of the movie, because there are places that the story seems to shift around like an unfinished shifty thi
Jia
Iron Man 2
Alexander Irvine

Ever though of being a superhero and saving lives of millions without using any specific super powers? Tony Stark had that dream and so did his father, who were both passionate about science and thought that technology and science could create a brighter future for the society.
As Iron Man's Identity gets revealed by the media, more trouble and wars had yet to come.
Tony had viewed as a superhero who was able to do anything to save his home town and he just felt too c
Indah Threez Lestari
Lebih suka novel Iron Man pertama hasil adaptasi Peter David. Dan lebih suka versi filmnya, karena improvisasi cerita, dialog, dan aksi yang lebih menarik dari naskah yang diadaptasi jadi novel kedua ini (mungkin ini baru naskah draft pertama, barangkali?).

And you know what, Ex-wife-nya Justin Hammer berjasa besar di ending novel ini, padahal aksi senjata teknologi mutakhir Hammer Industries ini di filmnya bikin aku ngakak abis.
Freda mans
This book was everything I was hoping it would be. Action from beginning to end, and a glimmer of romance between Pepper Potts and Tony Stark. Maybe that will come in the third installment.
Really well-written, and easy to get through. Though lots of scientific lingo to get through.
Still was a fantastic story, that I now can't wait to see the film!
On my recommendation list, if you saw or read the first one.
catechism
This was TERRIBLE, okay, but the dialogue (which was taken from the script, which was basically written by J-Fav and RDJ and Theroux sitting around being drunk/high fanboys) is pretty great in places! ...yeah, that's all I've got for this one. Damn my obsessions.
Shelly
This book was all right but the book was completely undescriptive. The author provided no imagery or details to the scene. The author assumed that you know what everything looked like so unless you watched the movie, this book was horrible.
Jonn
Definitely action packed. This was a pretty good read . . . I just hope the movie as done as well. They introduce or continue with a large number of charters, so it will be interesting to see where Marvel take their stories from here.
Bryce
As the novelization of a movie, it's okay. As a book, it was pretty sloppy. In at least a few places, missing plot elements would be referenced, and the only reason I knew what was going on was because I'd seen the movie...
Will
Started strong, ended less so.

Strong suit: Focused attention and insight into the mindsets of the protagonist and antagonist.

Weak suit: Poorly edited and seemingly rushed. Too much thrown away.
Cody
sweet book for a sweet movie. not a case of the book is better than the movie, as the book is written from the basis of the movie. still all the action and wit is summed up alot better here.
Tina
It was interesting to see how the final film changed from the draft of the screenplay used for this novelization. Rather watch RDJ as Iron Man any day but fun little read.
James
Being a Junior Novel, this is sort of a bare-bones rendering of the film. It stays close to the story, but has a few differences, one of which was pretty cool.
Susan
If you like comic books this is the book for you! I won this from Goodreads and that is the reason I read it.
Delia R
Didn't read the whole thing, my stduents have and they seemed to enjoy it so positive comments from me :)
Sio
Great action packed book that makes me look forward to the movie even more, if that's even possible!
Mf
Fast paced book, which holds together well and gives you the strong feeling of a gripping action movie.
  • Iron Man
  • X-Men
  • Batman Begins
  • Transformers
  • The Last Stand
  • Princess and the Frog (Disney Princess and the Frog: Limited Collector's Edition)
  • Men In Black
  • The Terminator
  • Superman Returns
  • Mr. and Mrs. Smith
  • The Night at the Museum
  • Iron Man: Armor Wars
  • Constantine
  • الراقصة والسياسي
  • Shadowland (Brotherhood of the Conch, #3)
  • Independence Day: Novelisation
  • Nyx: Wannabe
Alexander C. Irvine is an American fantasist and science fiction writer. Many of his works have appeared under the simple moniker "Alex Irvine." He first gained attention with his novel A Scattering of Jades and the stories that would form the collection Unintended Consequences. He has also published the Grail quest novel One King, One Soldier, and the World War II-era historical fantasy The Narro ...more
More about Alex Irvine...
Supernatural: John Winchester's Journal The Supernatural Book of Monsters, Spirits, Demons, and Ghouls Pacific Rim: The Official Movie Novelization Transformers: Exodus: The Official History of the War for Cybertron Transformers: Exiles

“This is the third night you've kept me up crying. Thought I'd give your mother a rest. Right now you haven't mastered English yet so I thought I'd put this on film for you. I want to show you something. Tony, see that? I built that for you and someday you're going to realize that it represents a lot more than just people's inventions. It represents my life's work. Someday you'll figure it out, and when you do, you'll do even bigger things with your life. I just know it. You're the future. I've created so much in y life, but you know what is the thing I'm proudest of? You. My son. The secret to the future is here!” 3 likes