Der magische Steinkreis. Das große Kompendium zur Highland- Saga.

Der magische Steinkreis. Das große Kompendium zur Highland- Saga. (Outlander I)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  8,137 ratings  ·  326 reviews
For nine years, four books, and nearly 4,000 pages, Diana Gabaldon has entranced readers with her talent for historical authenticity, dramatic plot lines, and strong characters in the Outlander series. Her superb writing has earned a loyal audience, but after a million and a half words, even the most fervent of fans may have a difficult time trying to recall the exact deta...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Blanvalet (first published 1999)

Barbara ★
I was rather disappointed in this companion book. After reading J.R. Ward's Blackdagger Brotherhood Insiders Guide, I kinda expected this companion to be similar with inside insight into the characters and little tidbits of information not presented in the books. It read more like a dictionary. There are synopses of each book (through book 4 Drums of Autumn). She actually broke down each novel into roughly 15 pages or so. No insight just straight text giving the highlights of each novel. I expec...more
Kitty
This book was written as a "companion" to the Outlander series - a book full of fun facts, background details, and stories about "the making of" the series written by Diana Gabaldon. It was written after "Drums of Autumn" (the fourth book in the series). I waited until I had read the first four before reading this - and I would definitely recommend that, as there many "spoilers" included here, as well as a "synopsis" of each of those books. The fact that I would actually read this big, heavy har...more
Lori Anderson
I love love LOVE the Outlander series, so of course had to have this book. I thought it had many interesting bits, but also a bunch that I didn't care to read (and that's ok! That's what I expected!). I liked FINALLY knowing how to pronounce those Gailic words but WHY oh WHY didn't she have the Foreign Language Glossary in alphabetical order? What a PITA to look up anything.

I did like reading her email exchanges with her computer group as she was hashing out ideas -- that was interesting. And I...more
Alison
The Outlandish Companion is definitely for the lover of all things Outlander. A reader who has never laid eyes on Diana Gabaldon's series will no doubt find interest in the sections that delve into her writing technique and research, past career in academia, and the sprinkling of folk lore. But, I fear, the rest of the 600 page book will be lost on the non-lovers. Thankfully, I am a lover.

It has been quite a few years since I have read the first four books: Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager...more
Mimi
Like the title says, this is a companion to the series and should be read after reading the first four books. Since it contains whole book summaries and a full character index... spoilers abound. Obviously.

Recommended for: those who have finished the first four books and need an Outlander crash course
Lisa
I wish i had this book as a reference when i was reading the first 4 of the series. It gives a synopsis of the first several books, and then delves into some of the "why" questions for character development.

If you have already read the books, and wondered how to pronounce all the Gaelic words, this book tells you the phonetic rules for Gaelic, and how the words are used. It also tells you some of the nuances of meaning that aren't obvious in direct translation. The words are arranged by book -...more
Liz
I discovered this book when I was in the middle of the series and found it useful, but I think it could be improved (and hope it will be when Diana completes the series and another such volume might be required).

1) It would have been easier to find negotiate the glossaries if the terms had been listed in alphabetical order rather than the order in which they appeared in the book.

2) What was the point of horoscopes for the two main characters? They are fictional characters, after all. I thought...more
Susan
The introduction to this book chronicles Gabaldon's journey to becoming a ficion writer (quite a leap, considering her backround in zoology and comic books...yes, you read that right.) It is one of the funniest things I've ever read. She has such a fantastic voice in her writing, I feel as though we're hanging out gabbing over a bottle of wine. You've got to love a girl who writes: "What was the easiest kind of book for me to write? I didn't see the point in making things difficult for myself. A...more
Suzie
I really enjoy Gabaldon's books. I treasure her characters. I admire her imagery. Her fiction speaks to me.

But I can't stand her voice! I stopped in the middle of this book because it was ruining the magic for me. I don't want to know how unspectacular her inspiration was. I don't want to know her secrets. Let me remain blissfully uninformed!
Melissa
I enjoyed this book (especially the glossory and pronunciation guide). It was wonderful to get some more background information about the series, what inspired it, why some things happened the way they did, etc. However, I felt that the book was much too long winded and redundant in some places. Overall, a good resource, though.
Erin
Nov 01, 2007 Erin added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the outlander series
This book is a really cool companion book to the Outlander series. There are a lot of glossaries (characters, Gaelic pronunciations/meanings, etc.), so it reads much faster than you might think, given it's thickness (unless you want to read all that stuff, which if you've been reading the books, you already know about, os it's more a reference than anything).

Although I don't recommend reading it till after you've read through "Drums of Autumn". I read it while I was reading "Voyager", and it's g...more
Abdz41
It's rather funny to think that I bought an 'encyclopedia' for my favorite book series, but well, there it is. If you love the Outlander series, you should own this book as well. It was really helpful in providing insight, helping you keep track of things, and overall just adding fun insight into the series. I'm sure that there will be an updated version coming out soon as this one only includes the books through Drums of Autumn. Still I love everything from Diana and wish I had just a snippet o...more
Lizz
I love this book! I find that her books are so involved and intricate that when a new one comes out I need a little refresher on what has come before. In the past I re-read the first books, but now that we are at this point in the series that takes some TIME. With the companion I'm able to read the synopsis of each book and remember where we left each character when last we met. Wonderful!! I do, however, wish that she could update it since 2 or is it 3 now?, books have come out since. *HINT*
A.M. Andrada
Skimmed, tbh. I've already read a lot of this stuff in interviews, on Gabaldon's blog, etc. This book is nice to have and a great reference if you have some difficulty keeping track of the 1,000 or so characters in this series (there are A LOT of MacKenzies), but none of the content of this book was really new information to me.

My favorite part of this book is when she touches on some of the backlash to her novels and addresses some of the not-so-complementary fanmail she receives: complaints a...more
Danielle
I found this to be a fascinating insight into how Gabaldon creates her novels. She talks about the characters as if they were real people who tell her what adventures they're up to, and she writes them down. It's not the kind of thing you'd read cover to cover, just something to flick through when the mood strikes. An interesting book nonetheless.
Lexxie
I'm not sure why I thought it was a good idea to get the companion... I guess I just needed a little Outlander fix - and I did get that - but I don't think companion books are for me.
I am sure lots of people will appreciate it, though, but I'm just going to have to try to be patient until the next actual Outlander book comes out.
Leisa Corbett
If you are a big fan of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander books and want to keep all the characters and plots straight, this is a must-have. The time travel element can make it hard to remember who did what when. I found it useful because I jumped into the series with the 7th book rather than the first.
Nicole
I enjoyed this book, although I don't think any author need feel compelled to explain the reason behind every decision that was made in the writing of their books. Read books as an escape and enjoy them but don't take them so seriously...it is fiction, after all.
Wendy Phillips
Lots of good information about the first 4 books. I enjoyed reading about Diana's writing process and the Gaelic information. However, some of the information is repeated in different sections of the book. A better reference guide than sit-and-read book.
Eleanor Batson
A wonderful reference book for those of us obsessed with the Outlander series! Don't crack it open unless you have read all the books, otherwise you will be your own spoiler!
Kerr Cuhulain
Interesting companion book for the Outlander series.
Judith
Apr 26, 2007 Judith added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
see outlander review
Maria
Diana Gabaldon is never short on words and she got to use her footnotes in this book! :) [or maybe I should write instead]

Obviously if you are reading this book, you have read at least the first four books of the series. Overall, it was an intriguing read.

Some parts I could have lived without in the book (even though they were interesting). For instance, the genealogy went way past what I thought would be included in the book, and the horoscopes could have been posted on her website instead. [I...more
Tatiana
This book was over 600 pages and considering that I've read it during one evening, it is obvious that I skipped a lot. In fact, I think I read about 30% of it.

There was a lot of information in this "Outlandish Companion" and much of it was of no interest to me - Jamie and Claire's horoscope readings, family trees, glossary and pronunciation guide, outlander websites, research guide, excerpts from the upcoming works, annotated biography and appendixes, etc.

What I ended up reading is this: novel...more
Heidi Smith
Checked this out from the library because, well, who WOULDN'T want to know more in-depth information about Outlander?! I'm still trying to determine if I want to read the entire series, since I don't usually read books of this length. Call me a sissy, but I like books I can tear through in two or three days.

One thing I'm finding immensely amusing is her method of research. Now it's your normal way, going to the library and making use of any online forums she can. But here's what strikes me hilar...more
Sophia
Well! I'm not quite sure about reviewing a Companion or 'guide' to a series, but I'll give it my best shot.

This particular book is a companion guide to the first four books in the Outlander series (Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, and Drums in Autumn). I really enjoyed it because I have read well passed this point by reading the the next three books so it was like a good way to review what I've read while providing additional insights into the reads. What I particularly enjoyed was Diana'...more
Stephanie
The nerdy part of me really enjoyed this. I did skim parts of it, but there were some very fascinating/fun sections, too. She gives quite a bit of info on how she came to write the series, as well as how she approaches writing a novel, in general. There is a section addressing complaints she has received regarding certain issues within the book, i.e. sex, homosexuality, the f-word, etc. She also has a list of FAQs and their answers. There are lists of the errors (editorial and authorial) found i...more
Katharina
I enjoyed the summaries and the blurb about how it came to be. It was quite funny to read that it was inspired by a Doctor Who companion and also a character named after MC Beaton's Hamish Macbeth - a series I love. Maybe I'll look back into it if I forget a character's name, which is likely considering the duration between the books and the amount of characters in them.
Tere Fredericks
Loved it!! Especially wonderful for remembering what happened in any of the first four books. I greatly enjoyed her drawings and her "attempts" at helping to understand some of the words in the books, and their pronunciations. The herbals were interesting, as well as an alphabetical list of characters. I've seen reference to a second volume, and will probably get that one too.
Katherine
I loved this book! This was so much fun to have as I read the Outlander series. Diana Gabaldon is a remarkable author and person-definitely someone I would love to meet and I would really enjoy her company. The Outlandish Companion answers so many questions about her novels and explains the tremendous details and research that she has done. This book really puts into perspective all the work a dedicated author must do in order to successfully write historical fiction. Plus, Diana writes the Comp...more
Outlander Series: Outlandish Companion 51 256 Sep 20, 2013 05:09PM
  • Lake in the Clouds (Wilderness, #3)
  • White Rose Rebel
  • Rivals for the Crown (Highland, #2)
  • Blue Bells of Scotland (Blue Bells Trilogy, #1)
  • Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love (Kushiel's Legacy #1.5; Phèdre's Trilogy, #1.5; The Dresden Files, #11.5; Outlander, #8.5)
  • The Dorothy Dunnett Companion: Volume II
  • Lady Of The Glen: A Novel of 17Th-Century Scotland and the Massacre of Glencoe
  • The Island House
  • Lady of Hay
  • Under the Same Sky (The MacDonnells, #1)
  • Midnight Honor (Highlands, #3)
  • Knight Errant (Knight Errant #1)
  • Highland Guardian (Daughters of the Glen, #2)
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .
More about Diana Gabaldon...
Outlander (Outlander, #1) Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) Voyager (Outlander, #3) Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4) The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5)

“I didn't want to tell the story of what makes two people come together, although that's a theme of great power and universality. I wanted to find out what it takes for two people to stay together for fifty years -- or more. I wanted to tell not the story of courtship, but the story of marriage.” 35 likes
“But the future reaches out to us, as does the past, and all times are the present.” 0 likes