Start by marking “You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!: The Classic Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder” as Want to Read:

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  1,409 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
With over a quarter million copies in print, You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! is one of the bestselling books on attention deficit disorder (ADD) ever written. There is a great deal of literature about children with ADD. But what do you do if you have ADD and aren't a child anymore? This indispensable reference -- the first of its kind written for adults with ADD b ...more
Published April 25th 2006 by Scribner (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!

Michele Harrod
Jul 05, 2010 Michele Harrod rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks. This is all I can say to these authors. Talk about pick a book up, and suddenly understand your whole life. And yes, I did think that, and yes, I have since been tested ADHD positive, at my ripe old age of 44. Never even knew such a thing existed in Adults. The discovery and the journey of self understanding, forgiveness and learning new ways to live, have been utterly life changing and amazing. Wow, I really wasn't lazy, crazy or stupid! Very cool.
Aug 31, 2010 M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of ironically, I'm going to call this one too scattered. I get that when they started, this was a work by not-so-professionals trying to get the word out when zero other material existed on the market, so they tried to cover absolutely everything.

However: SO many anecdotes thrown in for a paragraph at a time and then referred to 300 pages later, so many that you kind of lose track of anything so many different types of "ADDers" are actually supposed to have in common with each other. So man
Emma Sea
Well, who knows if I have ADD or not, but certainly the strategies I have in place so I can cope with life are exactly the same strategies the authors recommend for ADD. (Except meditation. I read a lot of books that suggest meditation, and I'm so resistant to the idea and I do not know why.)

But to some extent aren't these just strategies that all adults use to get stuff done and keep sane? SCHEDULE! Time track. Use notebooks to record everything (Evernote is the greatest invention in the world)
James Oliver
It's the first book I read on ADD so I guess the initial favourable impression was just a kind of 'ah, at last I am not alone' kind of recognition. However, I've liked it less as time passes. It is badly organised and set out with far too many exclamation marks and EMPHASIS!!! It's a real 'victim' book.

One thing that is good is that it outlines the various 'sub-types' of ADDers - ADD symptoms manifest themselves in different kinds of behaviours among different types of people. It's not just cra
Jan 22, 2011 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, I'm not alone. For years I thought I was crazy. I thought if I tell anyone what its like inside my head, surely they'll have me committed. So I kept quiet. It wasn't until my kids were diagnosed with ADHD and my daughter explained to me what its like in her head, that I realized I had ADD. I still wasn't sure what that meant, so I went looking for books. The title of this one immediately caught my attention, but I was sure the information contained inside couldn't possibly live up to th ...more
Adrienne Campbell
It's been 19 years since I read this book but I know it helped me understand who I am and how my brain works. It was wonderful to read a book that made sense to me. I could totally relate! When you've spent most of your life either being told or believing you are lazy, crazy or's a wonderful relief to know you are not alone. And no, I'm not Lazy, Crazy, or Stupid!
Marti Dumas
The book was well-organized and the voice was genuine. If I had read it when it was originally published years ago, I probably would have found it informative. Unfortunately, I was hoping to gain some insight into ADD for adults and I didn't learn anything that I didn't already know. I'd give it 2 stars because the Goodreads label says 2 stars= "It was okay," but that seems like a pretty low rating for a book that does have pertinent information despite not being helpful for me.
Sep 01, 2010 Pharrisbrown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I think this is a valuable resource for people trying to understand how either they or someone they love can be so many contradictory things at once. Scattered, but then hyperfocused on a new passion. How an intelligent person can be brillant in one moment, then unable to collect his/her thoughts enough to figure out what to make for dinner.

As a professional, I recommend the book, although different people respond better than others. Some can soar through it, amazed by the insights int
Dec 28, 2010 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! This is the BEST book ever for anyone with ADD/ADHD! And especially for those with ADD who have been reading self-help books for years, attempting to improve themselves.

The authors cover everything associated with this disorder and give practical advice on dealing with everyday life; i.e. organization, sexual functioning, medication interactions, memory training, etc.

Even if you are not personally affected with the disorder, you probably know a loved one or a friend who is and it will cer
Matthew MacKay
Jan 20, 2011 Matthew MacKay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with ADD/ADHD
For someone who recently self-diagnosed themselves with the condition, the book has been nothing short of miraculous. The relatibilty to the characters exemplified so well in the book, the easy to understand breakdown of the strengths and weaknesses (pitfalls) of the condition, and the numerous suggestions the book gives for solutions to problems the ADDer has in life, make this book one of my favorites—if not, my favorite. If you have ADD/ADHD, or believe you do, I HIGHLY recommend you read thi ...more
Valerie J Weiby
Nov 25, 2015 Valerie J Weiby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me realize that I'm not alone, there are lots of us that understand the frustration and confusion that go with ADHD. I was in my early 40's when I was diagnosed nearly 20 years ago. I've known all my life that I was a different from other people but didn't know why. I was always busy, I couldn't keep my thoughts in one place, I'd go from one thing to the next at a moments notice.
In school teachers would tell me I was dumb, stupid, I should be in special ed, etc. Problem was,
Nov 28, 2008 Ariane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is dealing with ADD in themselves or others.
The most helpful things about this book were the extensive case studies and examples of people and how ADD affected their lives in many different ways. I think also the drug sections and therapy possibilities were interesting and brief. However, the book could have benefited from some serious editing. And the strategies to help ADDers with organization and other areas where they need help were not well organized or nearly extensive enough.
Crazy Uncle Ryan
I really found this book to be helpful. This book taught me a lot about ADD and I found out that much of what I had been told about the condition when I was first diagnosed as a kid had been proven wrong. I also liked the simple, practical advice it provided.
Amy Brown
Starting right from the awkward title, this book is showing its age. Written back in the nineties (when it was apparently the only ADD book) it tries to cover all the conceivable angles of the ADD life in one dense tome. It's text heavy, with narrow margins and clunky visual design, leavened only by some unattractive and often irrelevant cartoons.

It's 2016 and you can now read books — or at least articles —about every conceivable concern for people with AD/HD: AD/HD in the workplace, AD/HD in th
Apr 09, 2014 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book. It is one of the first that really spoke to my ADD issues.
Feb 01, 2015 Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was insightful in a lot of ways. It takes a 12-step approach(AA) to managing ADD. I got stuck in following the recommendations of this book at the part where I had to write the story of my life. I found this task too overwhelming and could not do it...

I should revisit this book.
Scott Stewart
Sep 02, 2014 Scott Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very insightful book which explained what it means to have ADD as an adult, and ways to succeed. It also helps to explain how it has affected you since childhood, and helps you to come to grips with a frustrating disorder.
Jeremiah Peter
Jan 05, 2014 Jeremiah Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is chock full of explanations, details and suggestions about how to deal with the symptoms of Adult ADD. It was very helpful to see that a lot of the things that I had previously thought were unassociated with Adult ADD, like my crappy memory, are actually some of the symptoms. While many of the suggestions do not apply to me as I compensate by being TOO organized and TOO simplistic, it was good to know that I have been trudging in the right direction at the very least. It is worth the ...more
Oct 18, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The intellectual-sounding title is perfect. Spot-on for me. A good intro book for adults who've just been diagnosed with ADD and are now reassessing their whole lives!
Jun 12, 2011 Chloe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chloe by: Jeff from jewelry design
recommended to me by a guy in one of my classes. A lot of it is really what I'd describe as mumboey, however it was definitely a worthwhile read for me because it gave me perspective into other things that are typical of ADD which I had attributed to other unrelated things, so I feel more grounded in where some of my other issues stem from which gives me a better place to work on coping mechanisms to address them myself. I'd recommend if you think you might have ADD/ADHD, have it or know someone ...more
May 21, 2016 Jackie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this book to anyone diagnosed with ADHD or living with someone diagnosed with ADHD, adult or child.

This is (so far) the best book I've read about ADHD. Both the anecdotes and diagnostic information were laid out in an easy to engage way, although I did find the book's tone a bit patronizing from time to time. However, because this book has been so validating and practical I can forgive that one flaw.

I would have liked more detailed information on the various ADHD drugs and the
Michele Cacano
Dec 26, 2011 Michele Cacano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is known as The Bible of Adult ADD. First published in the early '90's, this version has been updated to include new findings on AADD behavior, treatments, and medicine. It was very helpful in understanding both the disorder and the place it has in our culture. Some parts were less relevant to me, so I scanned through more quickly, but the authors even suggest that the reader read the book any way they see fit - cover to cover (like me) or jumping around from chapter to chapter as more ...more
Jun 10, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were so many "Oh Wow! “moments for me is this book. Having been diagnosed with ADD several years I go, I knew that some of my issues were related to it. However, there were other things that I struggled with that I had no idea where part of the disorder as well. Lots of good information. A good read for anyone struggling with the disorder.
Timothy Volpert
cheesy self-help book, but some useful stuff in there nonetheless and it was a quick read so whatevs
Mar 31, 2014 Marcus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
May 24, 2012 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book, especially for those with ADD/ADHD and their families. I read the 1st edition in 1994 right after I was diagnosed with ADHD. I decided to read the new edition to refresh my knowledge of what it's like to be me. I also wanted to learn (or relearn) new strategies to deal with my unusual behaviors. These authors are straight forward, knowledgable, and humorous. If you know or suspect you have, or just know someone who does, this is a must read. You won't regret it!
Jan 09, 2010 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
One of the best books I have ever read on ADD. This made a lot of things regarding my ADD so much clearer. It is written by authors who also have ADD and it is easy to read. You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! : A Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder.
Bart Breen
May 24, 2012 Bart Breen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reassuring, Empowering and Helpful

I've discovered that as far as ADD'ers go, I are one.

This book (I listened to the cassette) is entertaining, enlightening and very helpful both to the person afflicted as well as those affected by their behavior and idiosyncracies.

I found it very helpful to listen to and I plan to relisten to it and perhaps ask others to listen to it as time goes on. Excellent introduction to the subject.
Oct 16, 2010 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was truly an epiphany for me! A fantastic description of so many instances from my childhood, and the many coping skills that I've developed. I truly thought of myself exactly as the title. This was so helpful in describing circumstances that might cause me trouble, and how to successfully navigate through them. I also gave me some well needed answers to some of the past "disasters" that I had found myself in, and why.
This is the first book I ever read about ADHD; frankly because I identified so strongly with the title. I will ever be grateful to the wonderful women who wrote this book. There are a myriad of ADD books now out specifically about ADHD and adults, but these ladies were the pioneers - willing to take the time and write on this subject before there was much information out there.
  • Women with Attention Deficit Disorder: Embrace Your Differences and Transform Your Life
  • The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents
  • Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Life with Attention Deficit Disorder
  • ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life
  • The Gift of Adult ADD: How to Transform Your Challenges and Build on Your Strengths
  • Healing ADD: The Breakthrough Program That Allows You to See and Heal the 6 Types of ADD
  • Taking Charge of Adult ADHD
  • Your Life Can Be Better, Using Strategies for Adult ADD/ADHD
  • Is It You, Me, or Adult ADD? Stopping the Roller Coaster When Someone You Love Has Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Survival Tips for Women with AD/HD: Beyond Piles, Palms, & Post-its
  • Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized
  • Scattered: How Attention Deficit Disorder Originates and What You Can Do About It
  • Here's to Not Catching Our Hair on Fire: An Absent-Minded Tale of Life with Giftedness and Attention Deficit - Oh Look! A Chicken!
  • What Does Everybody Else Know That I Don't?: Social Skills Help for Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
  • More Attention, Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD
  • Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World
  • Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults
  • 4 Weeks to an Organized Life with AD/HD

Kate Kelly is a clinical specialist in psychiatric nursing who leads therapy groups for ADDults. She lectures widely and is a featured presenter at most major ADD conferences. (from
More about Kate Kelly...

“The Procrastinator has the opposite problem. He can’t selectively focus his attention and might endure frequent accusations about his laziness. In truth, he’s so distracted by stimuli that he can’t figure out where or how to get started. Sounds, smells, sights and the random wanderings of his thoughts continually vie for his attention.” 2 likes