Start by marking “The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud” as Want to Read:
The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud

The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Psychopathology of Everyday Life, The Interpretation of Dreams, Three Contributions to the Theory of Sex, Wit and Its Relation to the Unconsious, Totem and Taboo and The History of the Psychoanalytic Movement
This classic edition of The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud includes complete texts of six works that have profoundly influenced our understanding of human behavior.

Ps

Published July 10th 1995 by Modern Library (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud

Blink by Malcolm GladwellOutliers by Malcolm GladwellFreakonomics by Steven D. LevittPredictably Irrational by Dan ArielyThe Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Greatest Psychology Books
78th out of 455 books — 514 voters
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueThe Proud Tower by Barbara W. TuchmanThe Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von GoetheThe Magic Mountain by Thomas MannGeorge, Nicholas and Wilhelm by Miranda Carter
A Heady Brew
18th out of 114 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

William
I've only read The Psychopathology of Everyday Life so far. It's excellent, loaded with epiphanies for the reader. One thinks "but yes! Of course!"
Andy
I'm thrilled that I found Freud post-graduate school, because it's nice to know that my thinking hasn't solidified to the point where I can't be seriously changed by a book. It took me at least two years to get through this whole volume, but it was worth it. So many of Freud's theories are instantly verifiable through self analysis, which makes reading his books a real thrill. By walking you through his logic, the reader is invited to be both the doctor and the patient.

I do think that Freud has
Mustafa
Fuck you.
Fuck you if you don't think Sigmund Freud was a profound thinker. He was, in fact, one of the most influential thinkers in the world. He was nothing short of genius.

After reading Peter Gay's brilliant 800-page biography of Freud, I was naturally propelled to actually start reading Freud himself. And I did find it an enlightening experience.

So, why in fuck's name did I give it 4 stars. Well, like I said, I found it an enlightening experience. However, it wasn't
Jamie
This represented my second attempt at completing Sigmund Freud's works and I was well rewarded for the perseverance. At times Freud can get too ingrained in the minutia of his theories and in reaffirming his legacy, however his insights are thoroughly thought provoking, writing fluid, examples entertaining, and intellect simply extraordinary. Three of his works in particular fascinated me:

- Psychopathology of Everyday Life: Forgetfulness and lapses of attention are explainable and determined thr
Mickey Somsanith
Feb 12, 2008 Mickey Somsanith rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
This was my first book that I read to prepare myself to explore psychology. What better way than to start off with the "Father of Psychology". This book is very informative. I liked how there were also a compilation of his books in this one (saves money). I really learned about it, unfortunately, somethings in this book can be very controversial, but I guess that's what makes it very thought-provoking as well. Be prepared for a life-changing experience once you've completed this book. It is a bi ...more
David
Freud opened my mind and I will always be indebted to him. I read most of this book and want to get back to it and read it again.
Erik Graff
Dec 08, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Freud fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: psychology
This was one of the earlier, affordable collections of some of the basic writings of Sigmund Freud that I began reading toward the end of college. At this point I'm no longer sure which of them I read in these, the Brill translations, and which I read first in other, later editions except for Wit and the Unconscious and The Psychopathology of Everyday Life, both of which I had read previously while staying at my grandmother's cottage in SE Michigan.
James Violand
A brilliant man who may have made everything up without going beyond his personal opinion. He states a premise and finds evidence to support his opinion. Little true objectivity, but his views certainly inspired all subsequent studies in psychology.
Catherine Woodman
I first read this in a college course, and found his body of work to be eye opening and thought provoking--although not all that easy to read--I would never have guessed that I would go on to be a psychiatrist, but he rocked my world
James Conley
I am little more than half way through, I have not picked it up in a while but I will continue to read it. The book is great if it interests you. You sorta have to have a knack for this.
Robert
An amazing mind, right up there with Darwin. It's refreshing to actually read the original stuff to see how Freud's work has been misinterpreted and Freud misrepresented.
Jim
After reading half a dozen of Freud's books I used this one as a summary. It holds a good representation of all of his work.
Matthew
Jan 31, 2008 Matthew rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: all
I can't believe that I've gotten this far in life without having read any Freud. Still on the introduction just now.
Mostly sounded like gobbly gook, very heady....but thankfully I studied in psychology in college and got it.
Alysse Tranquille
Very interesting, a good look at old psychology.
Danny
A first edition
Jaci
ridiculous.
Pedro Sanchez
Pedro Sanchez marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Peter Richter
Peter Richter marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Scott Richards
Scott Richards marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Amanda Lasky
Amanda Lasky marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Jackie Barlow
Jackie Barlow marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Aaron Lindstrom
Aaron Lindstrom is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2014
Felipe
Felipe marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • The Basic Writings of C.G. Jung
  • Capital, Volume 2: The Process of Circulation of Capital (Das Kapital, #2)
  • Freud: A Life for Our Time
  • The Collected Dialogues
  • The Seminar of Jacques Lacan, Book II: The Ego in Freud's Theory and in the Technique of Psychoanalysis, 1954-1955
  • Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy: A Practitioner's Guide
  • Childhood and Society
  • Ego and the Mechanisms of Defense (The Writings of Anna Freud, Vol 2)
  • The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy & Mathematics from Albert Einstein to Stephen W. Hawking & from Annie Dillard to John Updike
  • Introduction to Saint Thomas Aquinas
  • Self-Analysis
  • Psychoanalysis and Religion
  • The Death of Sigmund Freud: The Legacy of His Last Days
  • The New Brain: How the Modern Age Is Rewiring Your Mind
  • The Language and Thought of the Child
  • A Primer of Freudian Psychology
Sigmund Freud (Arabic: سيغموند فرويد)
On this date in 1856, Sigmund Freud was born in Moravia. Freud grew up in Vienna, where he lived until fleeing the Nazis in 1938. He earned a medical degree from the University of Vienna in 1881. He and Joseph Breuer co-wrote Studies in Hysteria (1895). Freud developed his theory on psychoanalysis, then wrote The Interpretation of Dreams (1900), The Psychopatho
More about Sigmund Freud...
The Interpretation of Dreams Civilization and Its Discontents The Ego and the Id Totem and Taboo Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis