Start by marking “The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud” as Want to Read:
The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud

The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  366 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Psychopathology of Everyday Life, The Interpretation of Dreams, Three Contributions to the Theory of Sex, Wit and Its Relation to the Unconsious, Totem and Taboo and The History of the Psychoanalytic Movement
This classic edition of The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud includes complete texts of six works that have profoundly influenced our understanding of human behavior.

Ps

Published July 10th 1995 by Modern Library (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud

Blink by Malcolm GladwellOutliers by Malcolm GladwellFreakonomics by Steven D. LevittPredictably Irrational by Dan ArielyThe Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Greatest Psychology Books
126th out of 409 books — 731 voters
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueThe Proud Tower by Barbara W. TuchmanThe Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von GoetheThe Magic Mountain by Thomas MannGeorge, Nicholas and Wilhelm by Miranda Carter
A Heady Brew
20th out of 116 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

William1
Apr 12, 2014 William1 rated it it was amazing
I've only read The Psychopathology of Everyday Life so far. It's excellent, loaded with epiphanies for the reader. One thinks "but yes! Of course!"
Andy
Dec 03, 2008 Andy rated it it was amazing
I'm thrilled that I found Freud post-graduate school, because it's nice to know that my thinking hasn't solidified to the point where I can't be seriously changed by a book. It took me at least two years to get through this whole volume, but it was worth it. So many of Freud's theories are instantly verifiable through self analysis, which makes reading his books a real thrill. By walking you through his logic, the reader is invited to be both the doctor and the patient.

I do think that Freud has
Mustafa Ahmad
Dec 20, 2015 Mustafa Ahmad rated it it was amazing
After reading Peter Gay's brilliant 800-page biography of Freud, I was naturally propelled to actually start reading Freud himself. And I did find it an enlightening experience.

So, why did I give it 4 stars? Well, like I said, I found it an enlightening experience. However, it wasn't always what you call enjoyable. I think Sigmund Freud needed to write a bit more clearly. His writing can get extremely technical, and therefore, difficult.

Which is actually a surprise. Considering the fact that Fr
Erik Graff
Feb 15, 2016 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Freud fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: psychology
This was one of the earlier, affordable collections of some of the basic writings of Sigmund Freud that I began reading toward the end of college. At this point I'm no longer sure which of them I read in these, the Brill translations, and which I read first in other, later editions except for Wit and the Unconscious and The Psychopathology of Everyday Life, both of which I had read previously while staying at my grandmother's cottage in SE Michigan.
William Schram
It was good, but a great many of Freud's ideas are out of vogue now. It has nothing to do with Freud's writing style or anything of that nature, since this is all a translation by some guy named A. A. Brill I think.

Most of Freud's ideas can be summed up as thoughts of sex. Repression is another big theme for him, which is not surprising since he was active when the Victorian Era was dying down. Using the developments of free association and reporting dreams, Freud attempts to understand the unco
Jamie
Jul 29, 2012 Jamie rated it it was amazing
This represented my second attempt at completing Sigmund Freud's works and I was well rewarded for the perseverance. At times Freud can get too ingrained in the minutia of his theories and in reaffirming his legacy, however his insights are thoroughly thought provoking, writing fluid, examples entertaining, and intellect simply extraordinary. Three of his works in particular fascinated me:

- Psychopathology of Everyday Life: Forgetfulness and lapses of attention are explainable and determined thr
Mickey Somsanith
Feb 12, 2008 Mickey Somsanith rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
This was my first book that I read to prepare myself to explore psychology. What better way than to start off with the "Father of Psychology". This book is very informative. I liked how there were also a compilation of his books in this one (saves money). I really learned about it, unfortunately, somethings in this book can be very controversial, but I guess that's what makes it very thought-provoking as well. Be prepared for a life-changing experience once you've completed this book. It is a bi ...more
David
Jun 12, 2014 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Freud opened my mind and I will always be indebted to him. I read most of this book and want to get back to it and read it again.
James Violand
Jun 30, 2014 James Violand rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A brilliant man who may have made everything up without going beyond his personal opinion. He states a premise and finds evidence to support his opinion. Little true objectivity, but his views certainly inspired all subsequent studies in psychology.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
I first read this in a college course, and found his body of work to be eye opening and thought provoking--although not all that easy to read--I would never have guessed that I would go on to be a psychiatrist, but he rocked my world
Terence Carlisle
Marvelous collection of indispensable Freud. Fascinating stuff that changed the world.
James
Feb 12, 2010 James rated it really liked it
I am little more than half way through, I have not picked it up in a while but I will continue to read it. The book is great if it interests you. You sorta have to have a knack for this.
Robert
Jan 30, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it
An amazing mind, right up there with Darwin. It's refreshing to actually read the original stuff to see how Freud's work has been misinterpreted and Freud misrepresented.
Jim
Nov 04, 2010 Jim rated it liked it
After reading half a dozen of Freud's books I used this one as a summary. It holds a good representation of all of his work.
Matthew
Jan 31, 2008 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: all
I can't believe that I've gotten this far in life without having read any Freud. Still on the introduction just now.
Oct 01, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
Mostly sounded like gobbly gook, very heady....but thankfully I studied in psychology in college and got it.
Alysse Tranquille
Dec 11, 2012 Alysse Tranquille rated it really liked it
Very interesting, a good look at old psychology.
Ksenia
Jaci
Aug 05, 2007 Jaci rated it it was ok
ridiculous.
Peter Alanion
Peter Alanion marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Eric D Crytzer
Eric D Crytzer rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Mikaela
Mikaela marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Mayar Magdi
Mayar Magdi marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Sotiris Andrew
Sotiris Andrew rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Matias Rivera
Matias Rivera marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
cathy
cathy rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Cris
Cris rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
  • Freud: A Life for Our Time
  • The Basic Writings of C.G. Jung
  • Introduction to Saint Thomas Aquinas
  • Childhood and Society
  • Separation: Anxiety and Anger (Attachment & Loss #2)
  • The Seminar of Jacques Lacan, Book II: The Ego in Freud's Theory and in the Technique of Psychoanalysis, 1954-1955
  • Selected Essays
  • Freud and Philosophy: An Essay on Interpretation
  • The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy & Mathematics from Albert Einstein to Stephen W. Hawking & from Annie Dillard to John Updike
  • Shame and Necessity
  • Capital: The Process of Capitalist Production as a Whole
  • The Language and Thought of the Child
  • Freedom to Learn
  • The Collected Dialogues
  • Pocket Aristotle
  • The Cambridge Companion to Kant
  • Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy: A Practitioner's Guide
Freud was an Austrian neurologist and the founder of psychoanalysis, who created an entirely new approach to the understanding of the human personality. He is regarded as one of the most influential - and controversial - minds of the 20th century.

Sigismund (later changed to Sigmund) Freud was born on 6 May 1856 in Freiberg, Moravia (now Pribor in the Czech Republic). His father was a merchant. The
More about Sigmund Freud...