Start by marking “Goldilocks and the Seven Squat Bears” as Want to Read:
Goldilocks and the Seven Squat Bears

Goldilocks and the Seven Squat Bears (The Squat Bears / Les Ours Nains #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The seven squat bears are a hardworking bunch. After a long day of working in the mines, they return home to find a giantess sleeping on their beds...ALL SEVEN OF THEIR BEDS! Panic ensues, but one enterprising bear decides the solution to their giant problem is a prince! But are they off to find a giant-slaying prince? Or a princess-marrying prince? Or both?!
Published August 24th 2010 by Yen Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Goldilocks and the Seven Squat Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goldilocks and the Seven Squat Bears

Smile by Raina TelgemeierThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickBone, Vol. 1 by Jeff SmithDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyAmulet, Vol. 1 by Kazu Kibuishi
Best Graphic Novels for Children
402nd out of 576 books — 757 voters
This is Not My Hat by Jon KlassenPress Here by Hervé TulletFishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems
Best Modern Children's Picture Books
132nd out of 134 books — 104 voters

More lists with this book...

Raina
Holy crap, Emile Bravo continues to be my new favorite fractured fairytale writer. Took me about five minutes to read this, and laughed so loud reading it in the break room at work that two other people taking lunch at the same time immediately read it too. Ridiculous mashup of Goldilocks with Snow White (and probably some other tales too).

Love.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
So this is a mash-up of a few fairy tales. First you have Snow White meets Goldilocks. But then you have to throw in the Pied Piper and The Brave Little Tailor and a hint at The Three Little Pigs. Because why stop with two, right? So this is totally funny. The format is more of a picture book graphic novel. And this isn't one that preschoolers would want for a story time read-aloud. However, it is funny and the kids who are old enough to know the fairy tales themselves will love this. Especially ...more
Martina Frammartino

Questi fumetti nel 2012 sono stati finalisti all’Eisner Award nella categoria per i migliori libri per giovani lettori fino a 7 anni. Evidentemente devo essere una bambina anch’io perché mi sono divertita parecchio. A quanto pare sto attraversando una fase di forte passione per illustratori e fumettisti.

Tutti conosciamo i sette nani, ma di solito non sono orsi. Se lo diventano mi sembra un chiaro segno che la storia stia prendendo una strana piega, andando in una direzione imprevedibile. Se non
Njalla
Suomeksi luin, kun en oikein osaa lukea englanniksi.

Pikkukarhut löytävät suolakaivoksilta palatessaan mökistään vaaaaltavan jättiläisen, joka on ensinnäkin popsinut kaikkien kulhot tyhjiksi ja sitten vielä kehtaa nukkua toisten sängyissä! Eroonhan siitä on päästävä, ja mahd. pian!
Hätiin haetaan Kultakutri, lähilinnassa asuva räätäli, josta tuli prinssi erinäisten vaiheiden jälkeen. Äksönin perässä Kultakutri seuraa pikkukarhua mökkiin ja selvittää että kyseessä on varsin kaunis rinsessa. Mutta k
sabisteb
Grimm’scher Remix

Die Sieben Zwergbären haben ein Problem. In ihrem Bett liegt eine Riesin. Da kann nur einer helfen, Prinz Riesentöter.

Emile Bravo arbeitet an der Verschmelzung von Comic und Kinderbuch. Er die Reihe "Aleksis Strogonov" gezeichnet und einen Band in der Reihe "Spirou Spezial" vorgelegt.

Ich bin mir nicht sicher, was der Verlag oder der Autor mir mit diesem Büchlein sagen will? Die Geschichte ist milde ausgedrückt dürftig. Sieben Zwergbären finden eine Riesin (Schneewittchen) in ihr
John Garrigan
Age recommendation: 6+

This is a very strange (in a good way) retelling of the story of Goldilocks. In this version, Goldilocks is actually a giant-slaying prince, the dwarves are "squat bears," and the girl almost dies from eating a rat poison infused apple. The story is presented as something halfway between a picture book and a graphic novel, which is a very visually appealing way of doing things, and the art contained within is weird and stylized in the best possible way (I'm particularly fon
Paula
Seven squat bears are a hardworking bunch. After a long day of working in the mines, they return home to find a giantess sleeping on their beds...All seven of their beds! Panic ensues, but one enterprising bear decides the solution to their giant problem is a prince! But are they off to find a giant-slaying prince? Or a princess marrying prince? Or both?
Comic style picture book
Shelli
Such a good start to a fantastic picture book/graphic-novel/fairy-tale mash-up series that the young and not so young kiddos will love reading again and again. I read them out of order and was able to follow along, but the story lines do build on one another. F-U-N, fun!
Ms Threlkeld
An odd retelling of some classic fairy tales that will appeal to younger readers who love graphic novels or who have quirky sense of humor.
Steph
I WANT MORE! These would be great to introduce kids to graphic novels.
Tricia
Is it a graphic novel or a picture book? I read it in a store that specializes in graphic novels and comics, so I'll call it that. The story is pretty crazy - taking elements of common fairy tales but giving them absurd twists (e.g. Goldilocks is the prince - his name comes from the fact that he wears a golden lock on his belt). This is truly deserving of the phrase "fractured fairy tales"! I laughed at the fact that he didn't want to kiss the sleeping girl - "Kiss her? I don't even know her!"
Jason
I can't figure out why I like this fairy tale mashup and others annoy me. Maybe it's because it's less self-consciously clever, maybe because it's even a little messy and random. Characters from other stories just show up at random and either become a central part of the story or are gone in the panel. And the humor is dry and witty and maybe just a little dark. Kids will love identifying well-known characters (or what inspired them) and seeing them in their unusual setting and roles.
Ubalstecha
The Seven Squat Bears come home one night to find a giantess sleeping in all their beds at once. When their attempts to wake her are unsuccessful, they know they need to get a prince to wake her. This leads them to the house of Jack the Giant killer, who is now a king. They also encounter the Pied Piper.

Part picture book, part BD, this book wants to be a clever blending of fairy tales, but it feels forced, leading to it lacking soul.

Skip it.
Lana.
Oct 24, 2011 Lana. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children (and adults) who appreciate a little twist to well known tales
"I think it's because you can't see their mouths." Paul concluded on why exactly the thought the bears were so cute.

It was the owl on the cover that had caught my attention.

When we sat down to read it together, we were laughing at the strange turn and twist of events as well-known fairy-tale characters collide with a little modern medicine and political correctness in unexpected ways.

My only complaint: Not enough owl.
Magila
A fun little fairy tale told in comic book style. It steals a bit from a number of tales, in addition to specific minutiae about how the tales are told.

Fans of Disney with a sense of humor are sure to enjoy this book. It goes to show you, in the end, that sometimes there is more to the story. And you cannot see exactly where things are going.

Recommend.
Sarri
Nauruhermoja kutkuttava pieni sarjakuvatarina päälleen keikautettujen satujen parista. Jos pidät jonkinsorttisesta crazyhuumorista, niin tässä voisi olla hyvä välipala Dungeon-sarjiksien lukemisen lomaan. Opetuksia unohtamatta: tiilitalo on aina parempi kuin oljesta tehty! Lämpimästi suosittelen.
Rosa
This felt like a cross between a graphic novel and a picture book....not sure why. It's also a mashup of a bunch of fairy tales (with a few extra fairy tale characters making cameo appearances). It was funny and quirky and I totally loved it.
Suvi
Ihan hauska tarina, mutta ei mielestäni yltänyt samalle tasolle kolmannen eli Kaunotar ja kääpiökarhut-kirjan kanssa.
Janet
Mar 01, 2012 Janet rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Janet by: Unshelved
Fractured fairy tales, indeed--this was hilarious, and I'm looking forward to the rest.
Adrienne Furness
"TEDDIE BEARZ!"

I like the second book in this series better, but cute.
VAle
preso in biblioteca

L'ho già detto che adoro Emile Bravo?
Polly
A very silly mix-up of fairy tales!
Yukari
Yukari added it
May 11, 2015
Alexander Medvedkov
Alexander Medvedkov marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Kelly m
Kelly m marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

The Squat Bears / Les Ours Nains (3 books)
  • The Hunger of the Seven Squat Bears
  • Beauty and the Squat Bears
Beauty and the Squat Bears Le Journal d'un Ingénu The Hunger of the Seven Squat Bears L'imparfait Du Futur Una asombrosa aventura de jules (Integral #1)