Start by marking “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog: The Book” as Want to Read:
Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog: The Book

Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog: The Book

Joss Whedon’s Emmy award-winning musical tragicomedy tells the story of Billy, aka Dr Horrible, a budding supervillain who wants to beat superhero Captain Hammer and take over the world... and pluck up the courage to speak to his laundromat crush Penny. With exclusive new material from Joss and the production team, new photos, sheet music and more, this official book is a ...more
Published March 29th 2011 by Titan Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog

Kirsty (overflowing library)
Dec 26, 2014 Kirsty (overflowing library) rated it really liked it
I want to take this into school and make the kids do it as their next production. A sing along production.
Robert Federline
Feb 12, 2013 Robert Federline rated it it was amazing
That's entertainment! This is the complete script, the complete score and even includes the script of the musical commentary, facsimile reproductions of working notes on both the script and the music.

Dr. Horrible was an opportunity for Joss Whedon to make a production out of love for his art, rather than satisfying the demands of other producers and the powers of Hollywood. This show was written, refined and produced during the writer's strike which had otherwise shut down Hollywood. It proved t
Aubrey
Apr 18, 2012 Aubrey rated it liked it
I'm a HUGE fan of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. If you consider yourself a geek, or a fan of Whedon, Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion, Felicia Day, and/or musicals then this is a must watch. This little flick was something that Joss Whedon decided to do during the writer's strike. He wanted to show that quality work with heart can come out without the need for big business (among other things). So all of the people in this were unpaid and doing it because they wanted to and boy was it fun ...more
Runa
Jul 06, 2013 Runa rated it liked it
I checked this one out at the library, and I'm glad I did. It's definitely not a book I would spend extra money on. Most of the content is stuff that is pretty repetitive, song lyrics, a transcript, etc. I enjoyed reading the introduction and some of the behind the scenes snippets, but there's not much else to go on. It does include all the sheet music, which means literally nothing to me, but for anyone who is musically inclined, I'm sure that's a bonus. But really, beyond that, nothing ...more
Cliff
Apr 01, 2012 Cliff rated it it was amazing
This review is rigged -- another unapologetic review of a book that I was all but guaranteed to love.

I remember practically shoving the Dr. Horrible webisode at everyone on its launch day. To this day, watching it still brings me to tears of joy and laughter.

Not too surprising then that reading about the making of the show generated similar emotion. I laughed out loud at points, nearly coming to tears once again. For others obsessed with Dr. Horrible, this is a must have. Or just buy it to put o
Alexa
Oct 29, 2012 Alexa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fan-girl
I really enjoyed reading this book! I am a HUGE fan of Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog and I learned a lot of interesting tid bits from the letters written by the cast and writers. Also, it is really nice to have all the words to Commentary: the Musical to follow along with. The book has a lot to offer, but I wish it had more behind the scenes interviews. Overall, it has a lot of great stuff including the entire shooting script and all the sheet music, but I wish it had a little more extra ...more
Greg
Jun 03, 2014 Greg rated it it was ok
I purchased this because I wanted to own the sheet music. I appreciate that they add extra material but it also is bothersome because it tends to make it hard to keep the book open at the piano. In any case, I only saw Dr. Horrible when it originally streamed so I did enjoy reading the script and accompanying material. I have not heard the Commentary before so I definitely enjoyed that and will have to find a time to listen to it to hear the songs. Overall, this was enjoyable but it really ...more
Phil
Feb 17, 2012 Phil rated it it was ok
Nice pictures. For someone already in the know about Joss Whedon's Dr. Horrible, then this was a fun romp through history. For those that aren't, there may be some inside jokes that you don't get, but this is a great little way to introduce yourself to how it all came about, though I would strongly recommend finding Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog and watching it first.

I like that includes all the sheet music and the full script.
Rebecca
Jun 20, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This was so much fun. If you are a fan of Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog you'll get a real kick out of this book. If you're not a fan then I don't want to talk to you. (jk) (maybe) If you don't know what Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog is then get thee to Hulu or drhorrible.com or Netflix. Right. Now. :D
Brendan
Jun 03, 2015 Brendan rated it really liked it
Great reading through the shooting script and seeing the minor changes that happened along the way. The added pieces by the cast and crew were a fun read...and the music at the end. I immediately went to my keyboard and started tapping out tunes. Huzzah!
Andrea
Sep 21, 2013 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, anything created by Joss Whedon is magnificent. I'm always surprised when they manage to drag out even more details that I've never heard about. So many amazing insights and interesting facts! I love it as much as I love Dr. Horrible itself. :)
Salimbol
Sep 03, 2012 Salimbol rated it really liked it
A charming and funny companion to the web series Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, containing the shooting script, amusing prefaces and asides by the writers, director and cast, photos, a transcript of the musical commentary and sheet music (phew!). A must-have for fans.
David
Apr 13, 2015 David rated it really liked it
Geek book. Contains all the sheet music, the complete transcript, aaaaand the lyrics to the DVD commentary (very useful when trying to figure out who's singing what in the commentary, which, yes, is also a musical).
Danni Foley
Jan 19, 2013 Danni Foley rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in02013
I thought this was going to have more insight into the web musical, more behind the scenes or new short stories with the characters, but it's really just an enhanced script. It had some interesting pictures and "one pagers" from the cast, but mostly not worth it.
Ellie
Aug 21, 2012 Ellie rated it really liked it
This is a fun, frothy book that includes the script to this humorous internet musical, the complete sheet music score and interviews of the cast and crew. If you're a fan, it's well worth the reasonable price tag!
Frederic
Mar 21, 2014 Frederic rated it really liked it
Shelves: pop-culture
Full script (including the Commentary: The Musical version), all the sheet music, and some behind-the-scenes and backstory. I'd've liked even more of the latter, but even so really enjoyed this book. If you love Dr Horrible, you'll want this.
Leslie
Mar 29, 2015 Leslie rated it really liked it
This was a cute really quick read. I loved getting to hear about how they came up with dr horrible and learned a few things I didn't know. It's so cool to see the whole script and the official sheet music.
Jen
Mar 25, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 4-star, read-2013
I loved Dr. Horrible and this gave me just a bit more of what I loved. I was really looking for cast interviews & comments and there wasn't as much additional content available. Still, I read the full script and got some new insight into one of my favorite entertainment experiences.
Amazing! Fantastic! Whedony! Hilarious and a necessity for any die hard Joss fan! This review needs more exclamation points!
Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick)
The sheet music is great, the behind the scenes fantastic. Definitely a must for fans of the short film.
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2013
Sean Huxter
Sean Huxter rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2015
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Jules
Jules rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2011
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2014
Tony Petrozzi
Tony Petrozzi rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2014
Walter Pavlik
Walter Pavlik rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
  • Whedonistas!: A Celebration of the Worlds of Joss Whedon by the Women Who Love Them
  • Inside Joss' Dollhouse: From Alpha to Rossum
  • Joss Whedon: The Complete Companion: The TV Series, the Movies, the Comic Books and More: The Essential Guide to the Whedonverse
  • Why Buffy Matters: The Art of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Dr. Horrible and Other Horrible Stories
  • Reading Angel: The TV Spin-off with a Soul
  • The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration
  • The Physics of the Buffyverse
  • Joss Whedon: Conversations
  • Slayer Slang: A Buffy the Vampire Slayer Lexicon
  • Five Seasons of Angel: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Vampire
  • The Existential Joss Whedon: Evil and Human Freedom in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly" and "Serenity"
  • Buffy: The Making of a Slayer
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Death of Buffy (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #29 Buffy Season 5)
  • Joss Whedon: The Genius Behind Buffy
  • The Killer, Volume One
  • Sex and the Slayer: A Gender Studies Primer for the Buffy Fan
  • Burning Tower
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...

“It may not feel too classy, begging just to eat
But you know who does that?
Lassie, and she always gets a treat

So you wonder what your part is
Because you're homeless and depressed But home is where the heart is
So your real home's in your chest

Everyone's a hero in their own way Everyone's got villains they must face
They're not as cool as mine
But folks you know it's fine to know your place

Everyone's a hero in their own way
In their own not-that-heroic way
So I thank my girlfriend Penny
Yeah, we totally had sex
She showed me there's so many different muscles I can flex

There's the deltoids of compassion,
There's the abs of being kind
It's not enough to bash in heads
You've got to bash in minds

Everyone's a hero in their own way Everyone's got something they can do Get up go out and fly
Especially that guy, he smells like poo

Everyone's a hero in their own way
You and you and mostly me and you
I'm poverty's new sheriff
And I'm bashing in the slums
A hero doesn't care if you're a bunch of scary alcoholic bums

Everybody!

Everyone's a hero in their own way Everyone can blaze a hero's trail
Don't worry if it's hard
If you're not a friggin 'tard you will prevail

Everyone's a hero in their own way Everyone's a hero in their...”
112 likes