Start by marking “Career Warfare: 10 Rules for Building a Sucessful Personal Brand on the Business Battlefield: 10 Rules for Building a Sucessful Personal Brand on the Business Battlefield” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Career Warfare: 10 Rul...

David F. D'Alessandro

"A refreshing message . . . from someone who has fought many corporate wars." -The New York Times

With the latest stories from D'Alessandro's neverending collection of corporate derring-do and new insight on the global battlefield, the nationally bestselling "Career Warfare" is more essential than ever when navigating your way to success.

"D'Alessandro dares to speak the tru
Published September 7th 2008 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Career Warfare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Career Warfare

Anandh Sundar
There are'nt too many books on this theme so this book does deserve a higher rating than average. The language is quite informal and brief.

Some nuggets are
-You have to view your own actions in the same way that the people judging you will view them.
-Everyone has a natural tendency to make excuses for their behavior. Don’t make excuses for yours. People will decide who you are on the basis of the things you do.
-Don’t flatter yourself. You can’t build a good personal brand if you can’t see yours
Rade
Jan 16, 2017 Rade rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I am not sure what to rate this book. One one hand the author obviously knows what he is talking about since he dealt with all kinds of characters in a corporate world, from supervisors to top executives. On the other hand, seeing how I am pretty low on the food chain of corporate America, perhaps reinventing my image while I am young will help me for when I am older and have better job.

The author gives few examples on things he witnessed while he moved up from company to company on how people
Todd N
Apr 23, 2012 Todd N rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Kind of embarrassing that I read this book (and Executive Warfare too), but I had to do something once I realized I was getting too flabby and soft.

I spent the past few years in a remarkably collegial environment and most of the seven years before that at Google, either in a relatively politics-free environment or under a boss that could shield me from nonsense. And I'm at a point in life where work is more sport than survival.

These days I find myself in an environment where there are some good
Lori Grant
A should-read book on office politics which will happen to you and around you whether you participate in politics or not.
Beth
May 24, 2017 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this book starts off strong, with a solid definition of personal brand and some worthwhile tips on building and maintaining that brand in a way that is sustainable and doesn't make you feel like a jerk. But as the book progressed, it became more and more problematic. Throwaway misogynistic comments about women, and combative suggestions regarding how and when it is appropriate to destroy someone's career abound. It all comes to a head in the second to last chapter, which is all about how ...more
Jose Mari
Provides real insights about the workplace. Though not always pretty, it is better to be aware about situations shared in this book.
Darren Brown
The book was ok, but not really what I was after. I was looking at a different book about personal brand building, and in the reviews for that book this one was suggested as being better.

The book does contain some useful information, but it is aimed primarily at senior managers, with some parts exclusively for C-level executives (e.g. dealing with bad press). The book also assumes you work for a large multi-national corporation. It isn't really aimed at those seeking to get into management, or j
James Pritchert
May 14, 2015 James Pritchert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This was a terrific book. It is told in a straight forward, in your face style without apologies or excuses. Some of it is tough to hear but all of the book is worthwhile. The author explains in very forthcoming manner what to do what not to and why. He covers the mistakes he has made and the comes as they apply to building a personal brand. He covers every type of person one meets during a career and that career may be anywhere. I have meet these people all along my many career paths in all end ...more
Marcus
Jun 20, 2009 Marcus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
This book should be given to all college graduates and MBA's who are entering the world of business. D'Alessandro, former CEO of John Hancock, describes 10 rules that if followed will help to accelerate the careers of business people. Book is filled with advice on how to avoid the many unwritten potholes that can end or sidetrack one's career. Easy read with many examples. Even though I have worked in business for 20 years & received an MBA from one of the top business schools, I learned a t ...more
Mike
Apr 07, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting to read the thoughts of this CEO on how to build your brand and stand out from the pack. I agree with most of the points that he raises. Many of them seem to be common sense, but aren't so common in the workplace.

I really liked the last chapter where he gave a really good summary of some important points in just a few pages. I also like that he summed up the book for us in just one sentence: "Be conscious every day of what you are building."
Steve Whiting
Feb 17, 2016 Steve Whiting rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book which provides salient advice on how to manage your own personal brand, and all the interactions which add or subtract from it. Probably more useful to current & planning executives, but still relevant to everyone else.

It's a quick and light read, able to be consumed over the course of a couple of tube commutes.
Michelle
Jul 23, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never would have picked up this book based on the name but it was recommended to me and I'm glad I did. The author has a ton of great stories from his adventures in the "vertical village" and his advice really boils down to don't do anything you don't want on the TV news and be considerate, i.e. don't be a jerk. Good advice and entertainingly illustrated with anecdotes.
Sergey Kononenko
May 30, 2013 Sergey Kononenko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't say this book is something outstanding. But it covers quite wide number of topics related to corporate life.
I would say "Career Warfare" is a list of good advices from guy who reached the top.
If you don't have a mentor or friends in top management circles, you probably would need to read this book to avoid numerous pitfalls on your career path.
Brian
Aug 12, 2011 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I really enjoyed the straightforward and readable prose in the book. The advice seemed solid, especially when compared against my own limited experience. Thanks to Tory McCarty for the recommendation.
Joy Shinde
Aug 26, 2012 Joy Shinde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David explains his views very well on what personal branding means. I have read and re-read this book multiple times and each time I find that this means so much to my life as a professional. Recommend that you buy this book and read it once every year. A much needed reference book in my opinion.
Christopher
May 26, 2009 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great advice in this book for anyone new to the office world.

Some might be obvious like "Don't drink at office parties" but some might not be like "Don't bring a date to office parties"

A lot of the book talks about your reputation or "brand" and how to maintain it during your career.
Mark Polino
There is some good advice in here but there's a nasty undertone in some of the advice, a lack of grace or forgiveness that is simply unacceptable to me. Additionally, so many of the high profile examples are retreads anyone who follows business knows all too well.
Stephanie
Jun 17, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite career-related books.
Kevin Lang
Mar 02, 2015 Kevin Lang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title is deceiving. Mostly about creating your own brand and how to maintain a decent brand. Good tips though.
Jacob
Sep 16, 2013 Jacob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent.
Luke
Jan 13, 2015 Luke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
read this when there was nothing else available, and it was good. It Had some good insights about quitting jobs, especially if there is no possibility of upward career growth in them.
Michelle Awuku
D'Alessandro provides great tips on how to position oneself
Cara
Aug 15, 2010 Cara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As you are going from your early career to the next stage, Career Warfare sets out some guidelines that are truly good to follow.
Frédérique
Apr 06, 2009 Frédérique rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I shouldn't be involved in any type of warfare. When I do get involved, I am beaten. Soundly. It is like the Plains of Abraham but faster and less note-worthy.
Rusty Booth
Dec 28, 2014 Rusty Booth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great short read about the thing in life that matters, how you lead your life in business and in personal matters
Cory
Mar 13, 2013 Cory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect synopsis of any company, and very insightful. The audio version is especially fantastic.
Mike Wittrup
Mike Wittrup rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2011
Landon
Landon rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2011
Alessandro
Alessandro rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2012
  • Make a Name for Yourself: Eight Steps Every Woman Needs to Create a Personal Brand Strategy for Success
  • Seeing the Big Picture: Business Acumen to Build Your Credibility, Career, and Company
  • Howard's Gift: Uncommon Wisdom to Inspire Your Life's Work
  • A Passion for Excellence: The Leadership Difference
  • No One Ever Told Us That: Money and Life Letters to My Grandchildren
  • The Brand Called You: The Ultimate Personal Branding Handbook to Transform Anyone into an Indispensable Brand
  • Managing Up: How to Forge an Effective Relationship With Those Above You
  • Blur: The Speed Of Change In The Connected Economy
  • Beware the Naked Man Who Offers You His Shirt: Do What You Love, Love What You Do, and Deliver More Than You Promise
  • The HR Scorecard: Linking People, Strategy, and Performance
  • Career Distinction: Stand Out by Building Your Brand
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
  • Speak Like a CEO: Secrets for Commanding Attention and Getting Results: Secrets for Communicating Attention and Getting Results
  • New Rules for the New Economy
  • Who's Got Your Back: The Breakthrough Program to Build Deep, Trusting Relationships That Create Success--And Won't Let You Fail
  • The Strategy-Focused Organization: How Balanced Scorecard Companies Thrive in the New Business Environment
  • Marketing Imagination