Start by marking “Stalked (Jonathan Stride, #3)” as Want to Read:
Stalked (Jonathan Stride, #3)

Stalked (Jonathan Stride #3)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  2,222 Ratings  ·  184 Reviews
In Brian Freeman's thrilling novel Stalked, Lieutenant Jonathan Stride knows his partner Maggie Bei is in trouble when she reports a deadly crime on a bitter winter night. She's obviously hiding a terrible secret, and her silence only feeds suspicion. Maggie isn't the only one keeping secrets in Duluth. A seductive young woman has disappeared, leaving behind a stash of lur ...more
Published February 19th 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Stalked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stalked

Matt Schiariti
Nov 19, 2012 Matt Schiariti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chances are if you're reading this you've read Brian Freeman's previous two Jonathan Stride novels. If you haven't I just have to ask you, WHY NOT???

As with Immoral and Stripped, Freeman is a master of the page turning psychological thriller. As usual I won't go into plot too much because it's been recounted many times in other reviews.

Serena and Stride are back in John's native Minnesota. He did take the job to be head detective that was offered to him in the latter portion of Stripped. The bes
Eric_W
Dec 25, 2008 Eric_W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book and have liked Freeman's others. There's only one thing that really bugged me and that's the necessity of the author to make the killer focus on Serena, Stride's transplanted love interest from Las Vegas. There seems to be a trend among authors to believe that in order to make their police procedurals more interesting there has to be a personal connection between the cop and the bad guy; the cop as victim. I think it's unnecessary and personally don;t think it adds anything. Ma ...more
Maureen DeLuca
This is the 3rd in the Jonathan Stride series... I was much better than the 2nd book, but not as good as the first. My main complaint is Stride's girlfriend Serena. I just don't 'see' them together, and I really get very tired when an author feels that he or she feels it is more interesting if there is a personal connection between the cop and the bad guy; the cop as victim. You then just know that the cop will do something really stupid and needs to be 'saved'. But, having said that - I will st ...more
LJ
STALKED (Susp/Pol. Prod.- Minnesota-Cont) - Okay
Freeman, Brian – 3rd in series
St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2009, US Hardcover – ISBN; 9780312363277

First Sentence: The prisoner squinted at the threatening ebony sky through the steel mesh that made u the cage in the rear of the patrol car.

Maggie Bell is awakened to find her husband dead of a gunshot wound and her gun on the floor in the middle of the room. Despite her protestations of innocence, all evidence points to her being the killer, particularly
Sean Peters
Mar 18, 2014 Sean Peters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second book in a row by Brian Freeman, and another book I really enjoyed.

Just a star below The Bone House.

Although I know not the first of the Jonathan Stride/Maggie/Serena books, I don't think it affected the story at all.

A multi-layered breath taking, gripping fast paced thriller, with a strong subject a sexual serial killer, murders, stalkers.

Are they being watched? Who is stalking who?

These questions keep you guessing, great three main characters, and filled with multi-plots and twists,
Ana Raquel
Feb 21, 2014 Ana Raquel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
É o segundo livro que leio deste fantástico escritor. E digo-vos que fiquei completamente estarrecida e deliciada.

Esta é um história com thriller psicológico muito bem delineado, e com o enredo muito bem estruturado e planificado. Esta narrativa debruça-se sobre o que é chamado na linguagem da Psicologia - stalkers.
É por isso, um livro muito pertinente pois aborda aspectos fulcrais e comuns no que concerne ao perfil dos stalkers.

A principal mensagem que retirei deste livro, é a de que por vezes
Reinaldo Lourenço
Mais um grande livro deste autor, jà sò tenho mais um, espero q a Presença edite mais :)
Uma historia mto bem construida com base em fastasmas do passado de algumas personagens. Como o tema central sao episodios de violaçao p livro tem algumas descriçoes de cariz sexual q podem chocar alguns leitores.
Confesso q o final me surpreendeu, n chegava lá...
Brian Freeman
Jan 13, 2009 Brian Freeman added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The Chicago Tribune called STALKED "a perfect blend of psychological suspense and crime fiction." Write to me at brian@bfreemanbooks.com or visit my web site (www.bfreemanbooks.com) or Facebook page.
Fran
Aug 22, 2012 Fran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stalked

Brian Freeman

Two polices officers caught in a rage storm trying to return a prison to his cell. Having no choice but to stop and try to seek some shelter they needed to drag this chained man along with them not leaving him outside. But, sometimes-humanitarian motives backfire and the tables turn in the wrong direction and what happens to these police officers will alert everyone to be more vigilant. One night that would change it all for more than just the two unfortunate officers but for
Kristin
May 05, 2011 Kristin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio-books
Freeman hit his stride (LOL! No pun intended!) in book 2: Stripped, and somehow managed to trip in book 3: Stalked. This is a bit long, but I don't think I give anything away.

My issues. These are items that pulled me out of the book - a phrase, a comment, whatever. I don't like to be pulled out of the plot, it makes me cranky and less likely to want to continue.

Dude. Don't be throwing crap in my lake. Not cool. It wasn't cool when Stride threw his cigarettes in the Canal in book one and it's n
Mike
Dec 31, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mike by: mikeandling@gmail.com
This is another solid entry in the Jonathan Stride series. Freeman reminds me of the early Harlan Coben books with the myriad plot twists and surprises. He's a great storyteller, his characters are well developed and his plot development plausible.
Gina
Goodreads Description- Lieutenant Jonathan Stride knows his partner Maggie Bei is in trouble when she reports a deadly crime on a bitter winter night. She's obviously hiding a terrible secret, and her silence only feeds suspicion. Maggie isn't the only one keeping secrets in Duluth. A seductive young woman has disappeared, leaving behind a stash of lurid fantasies and a cryptic message: I know who it is. Following a twisted trail, Stride uncovers a sordid web of violence and voyeurism that someo ...more
The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft
Feb 27, 2012 The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery, Thriller, writing students
Shelves: march-2012-reads
This is why I love Brian Freeman mysteries! Almost no other author in my experience can interweave a tapestry of secrets, characters, retribution, traumas past and present, revelations, and just plain outrageously exciting denouement, like this author. “Stalked” is non-stop excitement and intrigue. When I grow up, I want to write like Mr. Freeman.

Jonathan Stride is back in Duluth, Minnesota, his home town, after a brief and unpretty stint as a homicide detective in Las Vegas. Offered his former
Shin Machine
the only reason why i did not give this book five stars is because i am not really into this genre... but story-wise, this is truly a fast-paced thrilling read.

however, too much sexual themes are touched. yes, this book is really focused on carnal stuff [since it revolves around rapists and sex clubs] but hey, Mr.Freeman, i doubt your readers will actually be interested about how a criminal's cock behaves after years in jail, no? =D

the plot is very exciting, each chapter ends with a cliffhanger
Mark Soone
Mar 27, 2012 Mark Soone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brian Freeman is quickly becoming one of my favorite crime thriller authors, and this series with Jonathon stride rank alongside of Connely's Bosch series & Pearson's Boldt/Matthews series. I think this book was slightly sub-par compared to the first 2 installments, yet still was a very fine quality read.

The plot was complex, tightly wound and constantly evolving. I am pleased to tell you that I guessed who 1 of the guilty parties were early in the story....the bad news is I changed my mind
Tom Tischler
May 11, 2015 Tom Tischler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lt. Jonathan Stride knows that his partner Maggie Bei is in
trouble when she reports a deadly crime on a bitter cold winter
night. She's hiding a secret and her silence only feeds suspicion.
Maggie isn't the only one keeping secrets in Duluth A young woman has disappeared leaving behind a stash of lurid fantasies and a message
I know who it is. Stride soon uncovers a web of violence and voyeurism
that someone is willing to kill to keep hidden. Stride isn't alone,
his lover Selena Dial a homicide de
Jill Manske
Nov 04, 2016 Jill Manske rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Brian Freeman book, and it's even better than the first one. "Stalked" is a creepy story about serial rapists/killers and the murder of police detective Maggie Bei's husband. Maggie is a prime suspect in her husband's murder. But that's just the first layer of the story. It quickly spirals into cold cases, stalking and blackmail. There are so many unsuspected twists that the books keeps you riveted, wondering what on earth will happen next. The shocking ending totally flummoxed ...more
Kristin
Aug 11, 2008 Kristin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A friend of mine at the library recommended this (I didn't read his others, but she said it wouldn't matter).

So here's the scoop, I'm no prude. Really, I'm not. But, whoa nelly - this is one violent, masochistic book. Does this author like women? He seems to paint them in a rather vitriolic light...kept finding myself wondering what kind of woman to whom he is married!

Also, if your son or spouse does write a book like this - do you really want to be the subject of the dedication? Hmmm..."Gee h
Marti
Feb 05, 2014 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was persuaded to read this book by several members of the Psychological THrillers group. It was a good tale. It was as if there were a small group of people who were either policemen, or married to police officers, and of that group, there was a smaller circle of people belonging to a sex group where a woman could be the alpha girl and have sex with everyone, male or female. One woman had bad experiences with a man named Blue Dog when she was quite young. Probably, if you are going to indulge ...more
Andrea Strickland
I LOVED Stalked! I borrowed this Audio CD from the library to listen to in my car. I was so addicted to the story that I had to carry my laptop around the house with me to listen constantly. If I had 5 free minutes, I was listening to Stalked!

This is a nail biting, fast paced, "who done it" in every sense. I have grown so fond of the characters Stride, Serena, and Maggie that I'm sure I am going to feel as if I have lost a friend when this series ends.
Nora
Mar 07, 2016 Nora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More great twists and turns in this mystery, and fun to have it back in Duluth. Delighted to see the acknowledgments at the end credit Pat Burns for her hospitality and wonder if Pat or Bill had any influence on the local characters.
Sharon
Jul 05, 2013 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third Freeman book I have read, (the second "Stride" novel); but the first one where I correctly suspected who the culprit was. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and read it in under two days. I look forward to reading more by Mr. Freeman!
Chris
Apr 30, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best author's I've come across in many years. Every last one of the four Stride/Dial novels has amazed me! Would highly recommend this guy.
Denise Cowling
Oct 04, 2014 Denise Cowling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. I love his style of writing. I cant wait to read more of them!
Kelley
Jan 22, 2017 Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wish I could read a book and not notice things like typos or editing flaws, but alas, I notice. This was a really good story and twisted in a way I didn't see coming. I've read two Jonathan Stride books back to back and think I need a break for a book or two. I will be back though, as I like Jonathan and Serena.
Stephanie
Feb 17, 2017 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked how twisty this got at the end. But also thought it was weird that in part 3 he suddenly started using a lot of metaphors. They went away again by part 4.
Jenny Anast Conlon
4.5 ****
Michelle
Jan 26, 2017 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would rate this book 4.5. Beware some of the situations are unsettling in this book but it's a well written thriller. I'm Looking forward to the next book in the series. Wow!
Nicoline
Dec 14, 2016 Nicoline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
3,5 stars
Ron
Jan 02, 2017 Ron rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Every time I’ve read a Brian Freeman novel I vow not to do it again. This third try I made it half way through and then remembered the vow I made years ago. I sometimes regret reading on a tablet because throwing an idiotic read in book form across the room at a wall is such a cleansing act. Too expensive to do with a tablet.

This year I look at America and see a population who freely elected a buffoon as President and think the characters in a Freeman novel may not be so far off the mark.

But th
  • Red Knife (Cork O'Connor, #8)
  • Twisted Wing
  • A Hard Ticket Home (Mac McKenzie, #1)
  • Stalking Susan (Riley Spartz, #1)
  • Abandoned (Smoky Barrett #4)
  • Wolf Pass
  • Matar a papá
  • City Of Fire (Lena Gamble, #1)
  • El Gavilan
  • The Rosary Girls (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #1)
  • Judas Horse (Ana Grey, #3)
  • Absolute Zero (Phil Broker, #3)
  • Deviant Ways
  • Shadow Men (Max Freeman, #3)
  • Slipping Into Darkness
  • De expat
  • The Silent Hour (Lincoln Perry, #4)
Brian Freeman is a #1 Amazon bestselling author of psychological thrillers, including the Jonathan Stride, Frost Easton, and Cab Bolton series. His books have been sold in 46 countries and 20 languages. He is widely acclaimed for his "you are there" settings and his complex, engaging characters and twist-filled plots.

Look for two books from Brian in 2017, including THE NIGHT BIRD (featuring a dram
More about Brian Freeman...

Jonathan Stride (8 books)
  • Immoral (Jonathan Stride, #1)
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
  • In The Dark (Jonathan Stride, #4)
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • The Cold Nowhere (Jonathan Stride, #6)
  • Goodbye to the Dead (Jonathan Stride, #7)
  • Marathon (Jonathan Stride, #8)