Start by marking “Jonathan Edwards on True Christianity” as Want to Read:
Jonathan Edwards on True Christianity

Jonathan Edwards on True Christianity (Jonathan Edwards Collection)

This volume of The Essential Edwards Collection focuses on Edwards's view of the nature of true religion, true conversion, and supernatural regeneration. Going from the problem of human sin, and the inadequacy of head knowledge, to God using our biblical knowledge to give us new hearts filled with Him, Edwards believed God wants to unite us to Christ by the indwelling pres ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Jonathan Edwards on True Christianity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jonathan Edwards on True Christianity

The Essential Edwards Collection
On True Christianity
By
Owen Strachan an Doug Sweeny

This is one of a five-volume set on the life and works of Jonathon Edwards. This particular volume deals with the issue of true Christianity. This volume contains five chapters: 1) The Contemporary Problem of Nominal Christianity, 2) The Problem of Nominal Christianity in Edward’s Day, 3) Edward’s Answer to Nominal Christianity, 4) Powerful examples of True Christianity, and 5) Edward’s Dism
Michael
Not the best in the series because it had far more of an agenda and less of an honest look at Edwards work and thought. Its a dangerous thing to ask Christians to question other Christian's profession of faith wholesale.

The main argument for the need and emphasis on conversion is what kept it from a lower score.

And dealing with luke-warm Christians is a real concern. But for you? Every layman? Christian leadership? It was a polemic work with a low view of Ecclesiology and true biblical authori
Aaron Will
Nov 27, 2012 Aaron Will rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good end to a good series. I enjoyed the Essential Edwards Collection, which has whet my appetite to take on some works by Edwards himself. By the end of it I was really ready for more Edwards and less commentary, but the authors accomplished their goal I believe. And the reflections on examining our Christianity for authenticity are timely. Here are some more in depth thoughts on my favorite highlights: https://aaronjwill.wordpress.com/2015...
Mark
Oct 14, 2010 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On True Christianity, like the other four in the series, is an accessible introduction to the life and thought of Jonathan Edwards. The strength of this contribution to the series is that it is unbelievably applicable to today's nominally Christian subculture (especially in the South). Strachan and Sweeney draw out some of Edwards' most helpful guidelines for understanding true Christianity. This book is a very helpful tool for any Christian's toolbox in evangelism and devotional life.
Bryan
Dec 31, 2013 Bryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book that was a quick read. It seemed basic and sound but writing this review several months later I seem unable to remember much specifically. Sorry for an ambiguous review but I suppose it did not impact me greatly. If this was someone's first introduction to Edwards I'm sure it would be much more valuable but I've read some Edwards already.
Luke Miller
First of five books in this series introduction to the writing of Jonathan Edwards. This book covers the basics of his teaching on true conversion. I was expecting these books to have more of his writing and less commentary on his writing. But I still enjoyed this book. On this topic, I think I would still recommend "Religious Affections", even though it's a more challenging read.
Haley Olson
Jun 07, 2014 Haley Olson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This mini series is a great teaser, an appetizer that makes you want to dig into the actual texts of Jonathan Edwards. There are glories and joys and truths to be drawn out of scripture, and he has the gift of making you see them. You will be drawn in and challenged to enjoy Christ more fully.
Calvin
Jan 10, 2017 Calvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great wee book introducing the reader to Jonathan Edwards, and challenging one of the huge problems he faced in another era, that of nominal Christianity within churches.
Simon
Dec 23, 2010 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This book describes how Jonathan Edwards confronted the problem of nominal Christianity in his day and how it cost him dearly. It gives implications of Edwards' teaching for today.
Timothy Lee
Timothy Lee rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2014
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Gabe Zepeda
Gabe Zepeda rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
Chad Reinhardt
Chad Reinhardt rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
John Paul
John Paul rated it it was ok
Jun 08, 2015
Jeff Brown
Jeff Brown rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Falcoeiras
Falcoeiras rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Cristian Moscoso
Cristian Moscoso rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Clifton Hickman
Clifton Hickman rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Annette
Annette rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2014
Andrew Tang
Andrew Tang rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Tim Sheppard
Tim Sheppard rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2013
Patrick Lewis
Patrick Lewis rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Nate Crites
Nate Crites rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Freakindeacon
Freakindeacon rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Nate Claiborne
Nate Claiborne rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2013
James
James rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Jason Brubaker
Jason Brubaker rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2010
Rob Faircloth
Rob Faircloth rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2016
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • The Rise of Evangelicalism: The Age of Edwards, Whitefield and the Wesleys
  • Errand into the Wilderness
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • No Place for Truth: or Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology?
  • The Holy Spirit
  • The Gospel-Driven Life: Being Good News People in a Bad News World
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • The Transforming Power of the Gospel
  • Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching
  • Marks of the Messenger: Knowing, Living and Speaking the Gospel
  • What's So Great about the Doctrines of Grace?
  • One-to-One Bible Reading: A Simple Guide for Every Christian
  • The Church and the Surprising Offense of God's Love: Reintroducing the Doctrines of Church Membership and Discipline
  • Christ Formed in You: The Power of the Gospel for Personal Change
Owen Strachan (PhD, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) teaches at Boyce College and Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky, where he also directs the Carl F. H. Henry Institute for Evangelical Engagement and serves as a Fellow with the Center for Pastor Theologians.
More about Owen Strachan...

Jonathan Edwards Collection (5 books)
  • Jonathan Edwards Lover of God (The Essential Edwards Collection)
  • Jonathan Edwards on Beauty