Start by marking “Rises The Night (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Victoria, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rises The Night (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Victoria, #2)

Rises The Night (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Victoria #2)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,913 ratings  ·  139 reviews
In Italy, a powerful vampire is amassing the power to control the souls of the dead. Lady Victoria Gardella de Lacy-a vampire slayer for just over a year-races across Europe to stop what could be the most deadly army the Gardellas have ever faced. She is accompanied by Sebastian Vioget, a man as tempting as he is untrustworthy. But when Victoria discovers that she has been ...more
Published June 5th 2007 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Rises The Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rises The Night

Soulless by Gail CarrigerOutlander by Diana GabaldonDragonfly in Amber by Diana GabaldonVoyager by Diana GabaldonChangeless by Gail Carriger
Historical Paranormal Romance
26th out of 345 books — 348 voters
Roaring Midnight by Colleen GleasonThe Rest Falls Away by Colleen GleasonRises The Night by Colleen GleasonThe Bleeding Dusk by Colleen GleasonWhen Twilight Burns by Colleen Gleason
Best Vampire Series, Ever!
8th out of 13 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Zeek
Colleen Gleason's series, The Gardella Vampire Chronicles, is not your average paranormal romance. It's heavier on the paranormal rather than the romance and is multi-layered, textured, and a cut above the pack. Her stories are so much more then girl meets vamp, vamp bites girl, struggle ensues (i love him, but I shouldn't), vamp saves girl from outside evil and they all live happily ever after.

The big thing, and the thing that might drive average paranormal romance readers crazy in this series,
Lorna
I really couldn't help it. As soon as I finished The Rest Falls Away, I immediately began reading book 2, and literally could not put it down-as in, I read it until 6 am. I am so happy I found this series. If you haven't read the first book, there is going to be a big spoiler coming up. Just a heads up.

It's a year later, and Victoria's mourning is officially over as far as the ton(high society) is concerned. Now she is a very rich widow, and can pretty much do as she pleases. And what pleases he
Kerra
"Rises The Night" is the second book in Colleen Gleason's Gardella Vampire Chronicles series.

Victoria has grown up a lot from where "The Rest Falls Away" leaves the readers off at. The characters in this series are all interesting and though they may not be unique characters (I find myself comparing Victoria, Max, and Sebastian to Mac, Jericho, and V'Lane from Karen Marie Moning's Fever series [which I loved] often), they are definitely likeable.

One thing that didn't bother me as much in the fir
Karissa
This is the second book in the Gardella Vampire Chronicles. There are a total of five books in this series. If you enjoyed the first book, you will enjoy this one. The world broadens some and Victoria is less care free than in the first book.

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN’T READ BOOK 1 IN THIS SERIES.

Victoria is recovering from her husband’s untimely end in Book 1. Things between her and Sebastian are heating up. She ends up going to Rome in an attempt to uncover a new vampire
Megan
Book 2 in the Gardella Vampire chronicles. This book is good, but I didn’t think it was as good as her first. Maybe because I felt this is a little darker in nature. I marked down the stars simply because I was having a little trouble following the story line, the different characters, and the new vampire “object” which would help the vampires rule the world (this time it’s Akvan’s Obelisk, and the bad guy is Lilith’s son- Nedas). This book reminded me of The Empire Strikes Back , because it is ...more
Duchess Nicole
So much better than the first book! I don't know if I'm more frustrated with Victoria, Sebastian, or Max. But I have a feeling my faith with at least two of them will be restored, though I'm guessing that that one of the big questions of the series is: who will Victoria end up with? Sebastian shows a bit more empathy, though there is still plenty of his sarcastic, cocky humor. While the 'darkly brooding' Max is absent for a good bit of the first half of the book, he more than makes up for it in ...more
Cherie
My ratings system is as follows. One star is GOOD. The book is entertaining, easy to read and you don't want to stop reading because something about the book is compelling you not to. Two stars is GREAT! This time the story is not only entertaining, but highly creative, unique, easy to read and hard to put down. Three stars is EXCELLENT. Here the book has all aspects of one and two stars, but now the book is thought and emotionally provoking. Four is AWESOME. This is the read that is not only cr ...more
FlibBityFLooB
*Whew* The author was not afraid to go places that a lot of authors would not take their characters. I loved that it was so difficult to tell who was good and who was bad in this book.

I can't give away my shocking moment without spoiling the book. So, I won't. But, I did gain a lot of admiration for the author when something major happened near the end of the book. WOW. :)

I will definitely be continuing this series. Love the love triangle. Love the characters. Love the historical angle. Love the
Yodamom
Great book, exciting story and caracters, fantasic story line, the only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is that it broke my heart. It would be hard to read this again, though good enough to read several times. Victoria has her family torn and ripped from her, he beliefs crushed, it left me with a feeling of no hope for her. I need a break before going on in this story, what a great author, she really drove the story home !
The Flooze
Dec 20, 2009 The Flooze rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to The Flooze by: Shannon
This installment is frustrating and thrilling. Victoria's tendency to be stubborn and impetuous leads to numerous close calls, and make me want to shake the woman. But the results are nail-biting scenes that had me frantically worrying about the final outcome. Others are right--it seems this series does get better and better!
Heather
Kim
** spoiler alert ** Rises the Night, the second book in the Gardella Vampire Chronicles is just as good, if not better than the first, The Rest Falls Away.

This book starts off with an emotional and angry Victoria, fresh from the loss of her husband prowling the streets of London in search of something to kill. When she does just that, and realizes it was blood on her hands and not ash, she takes out her Vis Bulla and spends a year grieving and learning the cope with the rage and loss inside her.
CJ - let me hold both your hands in the holes of my sweater
3.8

Ever read a book and know that it's not going in the direction that you want/like? That there is a character that is more of a hindrance than a help to the main character? That the inclusion of the character is killing you enjoyment and some of the plot?

Yet.

You are somehow still interested enough, curious enough, to find out what happens?

Well, come on down, you'll find out here, in this installment!!!

Can you tell that I still want Sebastian to die a crazy, horrible, painful death?

Let's put i
Kim
P.Z.
หลังจากการสูญเสียของวิกตอเรีย นักล่าแวมไพร์ก็ใช้เวลาไปกับการไว้ทุกข์ให้กับสามีของเธอ หนึ่งปีผ่านไป ... วิกตอเรียตามล่าแวมไพร์เหมือนกันอย่างที่หล่อนเคยทำ และนั่นทำให้หล่อนได้เบาะแสของสมาคมมนุษย์ที่บูชาเทิดทูนเหล่าแวมไพร์ จนโยงไปถึงเรื่องราวของเนดัส แวมไพร์ชั่วร้ายที่วางแผนจะสร้างกองทัพวิญญาณคนตายขึ้นมาเพื่อครองโลก

วิกตอเรียเดินทางไปอิตาลีเพื่อหาเบาะแสเกี่ยวกับเรื่องนี้ หล่อนทำงานคนเดียวที่นั่น และเกือบจะเอาชีวิตไม่รอดด้วยซ้ำ เมื่อเซบาสติยงยื่นมือมาช่วยหล่อน ความสัมพันธ์ที่ครุมเครือระหว่างสองคนก็บั
Tresa da BookNerdette
Natasja
Lady Victoria Gardella Grantworth recently learned that she is the next in line to be a Venator vampire hunter and she is fighting vampires for over a year now and it costs her more than you can imagine. Her beloved husband Philip was turned into a vampire by her enemy Lilith, the Vampire Queen and the only thing she could do to really save him, was to kill him for good. After a year of mourning she is back on the streets, killing vampire like no other and stronger than ever.

Victoria discovers t
Rosy
This review was written for The Review Diaries: http://reviewdiaries.blogspot.com/201...

This book was a bit of a step away from the first in the series ‘The Rest Falls Away’. I loved the first book because it was a combination of two of my favourite things – vampires with some regency romance thrown in. It was brilliantly written and very engaging with enough danger to make it really exciting.

I was expecting more of the same from ‘Rises the Night’ but it was a lot darker and scarier than the fir
Lois
Began by skimming this book, but was drawn in probably halfway through.

I'll definitely read the whole series because I want to know if she ends up with Sebastian (that's who I'm lobbying for) or Max. I can see it going either way. Max falls into the dark, silent, aloof hero mold from Harlequins 20 years ago. So does that mean she'll end up with him, even though she's had sex with S. a couple of times?

I can see it playing out two ways: Sebastian sacrifices himself and she ends up with Max, a la T
Debora
Ed anche questo secondo volume della Saga dei Gardella è andato e devo ammetterlo questo è nettamente superiore al precedente! Le premesse ufficiali che la Gleason aveva fatto erano quelle di tentare di portare nel XIX secolo la cacciatrice di Vampiri Buffy e, nel primo libro, i collegamenti con la famosa saga televisiva erano piuttosto evidenti, a partire dal famoso ‘Puff’ del vampiro che viene colpito con un paletto. Con questo secondo volume le ‘similitudini’ sono sempre meno e la Gleason si ...more
Keksisbaby
Nachdem ich dem ersten Teil echt nicht viel abgewinnen konnte, war ich vom zweiten doch sehr überrascht. Die Autorin hat jede kindliche Naivität mit der sie noch an die Vampirstory in ihrem Buch "Bleicher Morgen" herangegangen ist völlig abgelegt und heraus kam eine glaubhafte Geschichte. Die junge Venatorin Victoria muß sich in diesem Teil mit dem Tod ihres Ehemannes auseinandersetzen. Zudem gelangt eine Splittergruppe der Vampire an einen mächtigen Obelisken, der einmal aktiviert die Seelen al ...more
Kathy Davie
Second in the Gardella Vampire Chronicles series based in 19th century London.

The Story
A month after Philip's death, Victoria finds herself out on the streets hunting vampires. Anything to distract herself from the pain of his death and her own guilt. But an incident on the street causes her to draw back and it isn't until another year has passed that Victoria again takes to the streets hunting vampires where she finds a bit more than she bargained for. A sigil and the news out of Rome forces Vi
Steph
Rises the Night picks up one year after The Rest Falls Away left off. Victoria is mourning the loss of Phillip. Now she must resume her fight against vampires. She's anxious to kill and release some of her anger for what happened with Phillip, but she cannot find any vampires.

Her aunt hasn't heard from Max in over 8 months and is beginning to worry about what has happened to him.

Sebastian is also MIA since the battle at the Silver Chalice.

Victoria must now stop the son of Lilith, Nedas.

Agai
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
Series Review:
04.20.2011

I was enthralled from the first page of The Rest Falls Away and was captivated until the end of As Shadows Fade. I devoured all five Gardella novels with in a week.

The Gardella Vampire Chronicles is a historical paranormal romance with a heroine, Lady Victoria Gardella Grantworth de Lacy, struggling to balance her normal life with her not so normal. I don't want to give any spoilers but she has a lot to deal with throughout the ser
Hasenmädchen
"Das Buch der Vampire: Schwärzeste Nacht" von Colleen Gleason Kosten:
Gebundene Ausgabe: 9,95€
eBook Ausgabe: 8,99 €

Inhalt:
Schon einmal ist Victoria mit Lilith, einer jahrhundertealten, ebenso schönen wie grausamen Vampirin, zusammengestoßen – mit fatalen Folgen für den Mann, den sie über alles liebte. Dafür soll die Vampirkönigin nun bezahlen. Doch kann Victoria im fernen Rom tatsächlich gegen ihre übermächtige Gegnerin bestehen, der jedes Mittel recht ist, ihre Ziele zu erreichen?

Cover:
Ein ebens
Kit
Theresa
This series looks to be good one. At first I was a bit off due to the Victorian era style of writing, but I have gotten used to it and love the story.

I' still upset about the behavior of the men she's involved with. Even the ones that you'd think were halfway normal end up being horible. And the wicked ones are frustrating. Like my husband says about some of the TV showd we watch "You cant's tell the good guys from the bad'.

Victoria is getting all her support pulled out from under her. She needs
Killian
Pros:
- After finishing this book, I immediately looked up the rest of the series. I wanted to know if the 5th was the last and I was not surprised that it is. I felt like there was definite movement of the plot and character revelations that you just don't see from open-ended series a lot of the time (I'm looking at you Charlaine Harris). I love moving forward as opposed to standing in place.
- Learning more about Sebastian was... interesting. He is a hard character to like even before you learn
Yukino
OH SEBASTIAN, PERCHè SEI TU SEBASTIAN?

Parbleu!
ovvero Perbacco! che libro!
oh se solo ci penso! che miscuglio di emozioni! dall'amore all'odio, dalla felicità alla tristezza: è un mix di tutto!

Sulla copertina c'è scritto "Sexy, terrificante e sorprendente" (detto da J.R. Ward, n'artra che coi suoi libri c'è da morire talmente sono belli!) e io che posso dire di più?

A parte che ho sperato, sospirato, amato, odiato, sofferto e pianto!

l'ho appena finito e..non ho parole! Non so da dove iniziare a rac
Mrs. S
I'd like to start out by saying "Rises the Night" is a MUCH better book than the first one in this series "The Rest Falls Away" which I would have rated a 2.75 to 3 if I had written a review. The pacing is steady and character development is much improved from the first book.

Victoria, the female Venator (vampire slayer) is ending the official mourning of her deceased husband, Phillip. Desiring to avenge his death, she searches but finds very few vampires to slay. She discovers that Lilith (Vampi
  • Kiss of the Rose (Tudor Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • The Burning (Companion, #3)
  • The Vampire's Secret (Savannah Vampire, #2)
  • Moonglow (Darkest London, #2)
  • Descent into Dust (Emma Andrews #1)
  • The Ravening (Blood Moon, #3)
  • Night of the Huntress (Brotherhood of Blood, #2)
  • Beyond the Night (Envy Chronicles, #1)
  • All Souls' Night (Blood Ties, #4)
  • Night's Rose (Night's Rose #1)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
  • Night Falls Darkly (Shadow Guard, #1)
  • Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2)
  • Caressed by Moonlight (Rulers of Darkness, #1)
  • The Vampire Who Loved Me (Cabot, #2)
Award-winning, NEW YORK TIMES and USA Today bestselling author Colleen Gleason has written more than twenty books for major publishers such as Penguin Group, Harlequin Enterprises, Chronicle Books, and HarperCollins (as Joss Ware). Her books have been translated into seven different languages.

Colleen lives in the Midwest United States where she is fortunate enough to be working on her next book.

S
More about Colleen Gleason...
The Rest Falls Away (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Victoria, #1) The Bleeding Dusk (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Victoria, #3) The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1) When Twilight Burns (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Victoria, #4) As Shadows Fade (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Victoria, #5)

“Se continui a guardarmi così, Victoria, sarò felice di darti quello che vuoi. Dopotutto, non sei più una bambina" Sebastian a Victoria” 0 likes
“The only thing predictable about you is that you consistently appear when you suppose I least expect it. Perhaps that will be your undoing; for now I shall expect to see you every time I turn around.” 0 likes