Start by marking “Murder for Christ's Mass (Templar Knight Mystery #4)” as Want to Read:
Murder for Christ's Mass (Templar Knight Mystery #4)

Murder for Christ's Mass (Templar Knight Mystery #4)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The town of Lincoln is covered in snow-concealing the mortal remains of a clerk who worked in the local mint. The only clue is a pristine coin stamped with the visage of King Stephen. But Templar Bascot de Marins soon discovers that the motive goes beyond money-and beyond mere murder.
Published December 1st 2009 by Berkley Prime Crime (first published November 24th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Murder for Christ's Mass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder for Christ's Mass

Scot
This fourth contribution in the Templar Knight series features the deductive skills of the one-eyed Bascot de Marins, returned to England after several years in captivity at the hands of the Saracens, now attended by his sidekick the mute but observant Italian boy Gianni. Set in Lincoln in the early years of the 13th century, this one occurs during the Christmas/New Years/Epiphsny holidays, with a betrothal ceremony planned for the sheriff's son to boot--this means we not only get the mystery to ...more
LJ
First Sentence: The stone quarry lay still and silent under the maelstrom of wind and raging clouds scudding in the skies above.

A body of a clerk for the local mint is found having been dumped in a mine. The only clue is a pristine coin from the reign of King Stephen. Castellan Nicolla de la Haye and her husband Sheriff Gerard Camville have asked templar Bascot de Marins, who has had prior success in uncovering murderers, solve this crime.

I do enjoy this series. Ash creates a very strong sense o
Spuddie
#4 Bascot de Marins "Templar Knight" mystery set in Lincoln, UK in 1201. Bascot, a Templar Knight recovering from several years of capture in the Middle East by serving as a household knight to Nicolaa de la Haye, castellan for the city of Lincoln, investigates a murder for her husband, Gerard Camville who is the Sheriff. A young apprentice who works at the mint is found stabbed in the heart on Christmas morning, although he has been dead a few days already.

Bascot's observant young assistant Gi
A.M.
Not all mystery series are created equal, and I really like The Templar Knight series by Maureen Ash. If you are into historical fiction, you might enjoy these intriguing stories set in England, 1201 AD. Murder for Christ's Mass was an excellent read, and I am looking forward to the next!
Vickie
Bascot de Marins is a character I will be following as long as Maureen Ash wants to write his story. He is spiritual and a defender of justice. Watching his mind work out the mystery of the murdered man and the interweaving of all of the information he discovers.
I love his relationship with his young servant, Gianni. How he nurtures and guides Gianni to follow his strengths so that when de Marins goes back to his Templar duties, Gianni won't be at a loss for a position in life.
Greed is prevale
Rosalind Hoenig
This one was better than the last one. If I could give half stars u would give it 3.5. They are getting better but still a bit verbose.
Joyce McKune
another interesting mystery. loved how it describes life at that time.
Lynn Moore
I've been enjoying this series by Maureen Ash.
Deborah Pickstone
Am getting a bit annoyed with Bascot's dithering! Otherwise the usual competent Medieval murder mystery!
Lisa Slater
I nice quick read and it kept my interest with the twist and turns. I look forward to reading the other books in the series.
Barbara
Solid bit of historical murder mystery--nothing flashy, but entertaining.
Good to read on a warm day, as it really does take place during the Christmas holiday season.
Our Templar hero is not quite as engaging as Brother Cadfael, but the series should appeal to fans of Ellis Peters' books.
Monica Davis
The 4th of the series of the Templar Knight Mysteries. The best of the lot so far, I would give this 4.5 stars. The writing is more polished, the characters are deeper, the storyline is tighter and richer, with an added sub-story of human compassion. An enjoyable, quick read.
Erika
I enjoy this type of mystery. It took a while to get into, I think there are some series that are better written. This one did have quite a few twists & turns. Overall I enjoyed this and would recommend to fans of medieval type mysteries.
Mary
Good story, nice and twisty, with lots of very satisfying historical detail. The series is getting better. I hope Ash has lots more Templar books in store for us.
Dawn
The few intriguing bits of information about money creation in the middle ages made this a slightly better story than the last couple.
Mary
fun read. will be interesting to see how the series moves forward from here.
Cece
#4 Still finding this series to be on the upswing.
Fiona
Interesting if slightly predictable medieval mystery.
Peter D
Peter D marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Naomi
Naomi is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2015
Pam Tedder
Pam Tedder marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Joanne Hall
Joanne Hall marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Argum
Argum marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Gayle Noble
Gayle Noble marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
  • The Faithful Dead (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #5)
  • The House of the Red Slayer (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #2)
  • A Play of Piety (Joliffe the Player, #6)
  • The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3)
  • A Gift of Sanctuary (Owen Archer, #6)
  • Falconer's Crusade (William Falconer, #1)
  • Trinity Blood: Reborn on the Mars, Volume 2: The Iblis
  • Smoke in the Wind (Sister Fidelma, #11)
  • The Hermit of Eyton Forest (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #14)
  • Super
  • A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)
820242
Maureen Ash was born in London, England, and has had a lifelong interest in British medieval history. Visits to castle ruins and old churches have provided the inspiration for her novels. She enjoys Celtic music, browsing in bookstores and Belgian chocolate. Maureen now lives on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada.
More about Maureen Ash...

Templar Knight Mystery (8 books)
  • The Alehouse Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #1)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • A Plague of Poison (Templar Knight Mystery #3)
  • Shroud of Dishonour (Templar Knight Mystery #5)
  • A Deadly Penance (Templar Night Mystery #6)
  • The Canterbury Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #7)
  • A Holy Vengeance (Templar Knight Mystery, #8)
The Alehouse Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #1) Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2) A Plague of Poison (Templar Knight Mystery #3) A Deadly Penance (Templar Night Mystery #6) Shroud of Dishonour (Templar Knight Mystery #5)