Start by marking “Murder for Christ's Mass (Templar Knight Mystery #4)” as Want to Read:
Murder for Christ's Mass (Templar Knight Mystery #4)

Murder for Christ's Mass (Templar Knight Mystery #4)

The town of Lincoln is covered in snow-concealing the mortal remains of a clerk who worked in the local mint. The only clue is a pristine coin stamped with the visage of King Stephen. But Templar Bascot de Marins soon discovers that the motive goes beyond money-and beyond mere murder.
Published December 1st 2009 by Berkley Prime Crime (first published November 24th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Murder for Christ's Mass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder for Christ's Mass

Linda
Templer Knight Mystery Book #4

December 1201 AD. The town of Lincoln and the occupants of the castle are getting ready to celebrate the holidays with the influx of guests and visitors that has them bursting at the seems. Amid all of this a body is found by a stonemason with evidence indicating murder. This sets the stage for a new murder mystery to be solved by our intrepid sleuth Templer Bascott de Marins and his assistant Gianni. The mystery in this story is a good one that has enough twists an
Mary
Nov 19, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, nice and twisty, with lots of very satisfying historical detail. The series is getting better. I hope Ash has lots more Templar books in store for us.
Nae
Feb 23, 2017 Nae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this one. Her sense of place and time is remarkable and I really was drawn into this world.
Spuddie
Dec 29, 2009 Spuddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#4 Bascot de Marins "Templar Knight" mystery set in Lincoln, UK in 1201. Bascot, a Templar Knight recovering from several years of capture in the Middle East by serving as a household knight to Nicolaa de la Haye, castellan for the city of Lincoln, investigates a murder for her husband, Gerard Camville who is the Sheriff. A young apprentice who works at the mint is found stabbed in the heart on Christmas morning, although he has been dead a few days already.

Bascot's observant young assistant Gi
LJ
First Sentence: The stone quarry lay still and silent under the maelstrom of wind and raging clouds scudding in the skies above.

A body of a clerk for the local mint is found having been dumped in a mine. The only clue is a pristine coin from the reign of King Stephen. Castellan Nicolla de la Haye and her husband Sheriff Gerard Camville have asked templar Bascot de Marins, who has had prior success in uncovering murderers, solve this crime.

I do enjoy this series. Ash creates a very strong sense o
Crystal
Feb 14, 2017 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Mystery

The book is well qritten with likeable characters and a feel or the medieval times. Cant wait for the next one
Scot
Sep 12, 2014 Scot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fourth contribution in the Templar Knight series features the deductive skills of the one-eyed Bascot de Marins, returned to England after several years in captivity at the hands of the Saracens, now attended by his sidekick the mute but observant Italian boy Gianni. Set in Lincoln in the early years of the 13th century, this one occurs during the Christmas/New Years/Epiphsny holidays, with a betrothal ceremony planned for the sheriff's son to boot--this means we not only get the mystery to ...more
Vickie
Nov 09, 2010 Vickie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bascot de Marins is a character I will be following as long as Maureen Ash wants to write his story. He is spiritual and a defender of justice. Watching his mind work out the mystery of the murdered man and the interweaving of all of the information he discovers.
I love his relationship with his young servant, Gianni. How he nurtures and guides Gianni to follow his strengths so that when de Marins goes back to his Templar duties, Gianni won't be at a loss for a position in life.
Greed is prevale
Lynne Tull
I am sure there is probably a formula working in these stories. I have not been able to identify it. There is a mystery involved, but there is a lot to background so you get a sense of the life and times of Medieval England. I probably could have solved this one, but really wasn't paying close attention. I got wrapped up in the 'life and times'. It is all very interesting and don't find myself skipping through it. The only downside-Bascot cannot make up his mind whether he is going to stay or go ...more
Argum
Did not suspect the real culprit at all. The Templar is biding his time in Lincoln while his servant trains as a clerk, we will have to wait longer to find out how the new return to full duties shakes out. A man is murdered and a very old illegal coin is found nearby. Suspecting a hidden treasure horde, the sheriff asks Bascot to investigate quietly. Less help from his friends and Gianni is teaching a boy with a cleft pallette his sign language so the Templar is more alone this time. Lots of fri ...more
Kathy
Jun 30, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really feeling more like two stars, but I appreciate the understanding and description of the period. I won't read any more of these books now that I have given my fair chance at this series. I need to care about the characters to follow a series. One does not even care about the murder victims in these books, and that is why I avoid modern mystery books...so I am done.
Monica Davis
Feb 13, 2013 Monica Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 4th of the series of the Templar Knight Mysteries. The best of the lot so far, I would give this 4.5 stars. The writing is more polished, the characters are deeper, the storyline is tighter and richer, with an added sub-story of human compassion. An enjoyable, quick read.
Barb in Maryland
Solid bit of historical murder mystery--nothing flashy, but entertaining.
Good to read on a warm day, as it really does take place during the Christmas holiday season.
Our Templar hero is not quite as engaging as Brother Cadfael, but the series should appeal to fans of Ellis Peters' books.
A.M.
Mar 06, 2015 A.M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not all mystery series are created equal, and I really like The Templar Knight series by Maureen Ash. If you are into historical fiction, you might enjoy these intriguing stories set in England, 1201 AD. Murder for Christ's Mass was an excellent read, and I am looking forward to the next!
Erika
I enjoy this type of mystery. It took a while to get into, I think there are some series that are better written. This one did have quite a few twists & turns. Overall I enjoyed this and would recommend to fans of medieval type mysteries.
Deborah Pickstone
Am getting a bit annoyed with Bascot's dithering! Otherwise the usual competent Medieval murder mystery!
Shelley
Jul 21, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it
Fiona
Jan 22, 2012 Fiona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting if slightly predictable medieval mystery.
Dawn
The few intriguing bits of information about money creation in the middle ages made this a slightly better story than the last couple.
Cece
#4 Still finding this series to be on the upswing.
Rosalind Hoenig
This one was better than the last one. If I could give half stars u would give it 3.5. They are getting better but still a bit verbose.
Lisa Slater
Mar 07, 2014 Lisa Slater rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I nice quick read and it kept my interest with the twist and turns. I look forward to reading the other books in the series.
Lynn Moore
Sep 10, 2014 Lynn Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been enjoying this series by Maureen Ash.
Mary
fun read. will be interesting to see how the series moves forward from here.
Joyce McKune
another interesting mystery. loved how it describes life at that time.
Mary Munroe
Mary Munroe rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Tom Hajek
Tom Hajek rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2013
Jonathan Rhind
Jonathan Rhind rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Dana Whitesell
Dana Whitesell rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Deana
Deana rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Rose of the World (Hawkenlye Mysteries #13)
  • The Musketeer's Seamstress (A Musketeers Mystery, #2)
  • Trinity Blood: Reborn on the Mars, Volume 2: The Iblis
  • The Fifth Servant
  • Super
  • Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3)
  • The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3)
  • The House of the Red Slayer (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #2)
  • The Bohemian Girl (Denton, #2)
  • A Play of Piety (Joliffe the Player, #6)
  • What Alice Knew: A Most Curious Tale of Henry James & Jack the Ripper
820242
Maureen Ash was born in London, England, and has had a lifelong interest in British medieval history. Visits to castle ruins and old churches have provided the inspiration for her novels. She enjoys Celtic music, browsing in bookstores and Belgian chocolate. Maureen now lives on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada.
More about Maureen Ash...

Templar Knight Mystery (9 books)
  • The Alehouse Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #1)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • A Plague of Poison (Templar Knight Mystery #3)
  • Shroud of Dishonour (Templar Knight Mystery #5)
  • A Deadly Penance (Templar Night Mystery #6)
  • The Canterbury Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #7)
  • A Holy Vengeance (Templar Knight Mystery, #8)
  • Sins of Inheritance (Templar Knight Mystery, #9)