Stopping Time (Wicked Lovely, #2.5)

Stopping Time (Wicked Lovely #2.5)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,330 ratings  ·  97 reviews
An exciting e-story original sequel to Ink Exchange!

Leslie walked away from the Dark Court, determined to reclaim her life and live it on her own terms-even if it meant leaving behind the two faeries who love her. She knows Niall and Irial watch over her, and she would give almost anything to keep them from hurting. But she resists the pull to be with either one of them.

So...more
Published April 23rd 2010 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Stopping Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stopping Time

Harry Potter by J.K. RowlingThe Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie MeyerMidnight Sun by Stephenie MeyerAdrian's Lost Chapter by Richelle MeadThe Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer
Extras
44th out of 103 books — 85 voters
Aerie and Reckoning by Thomas E. SniegoskiEvermore by Alyson NoelRaziel by Kristina DouglasHaunting Violet by Alyxandra HarveyFallen by Lauren Kate
Look-A-Like Covers
9th out of 15 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom)
Stopping Time is a little novella that picks up a short time after the events of Ink Exchange, where Leslie severed her ties to Irial and the Dark Court, and to Niall as well, in order to save herself from who she might become as a member of the Dark Court, IF she even survived the Ink Exchange experiment.

At the end of Ink, Irial bestowed the leadership of the Dark Court to Niall. Everyone is trying to adjust to these recent changes. Leslie is now trying to live her life without faerie influenc...more
Kelli (I'd So Rather Be Reading)
Boy, I just love Melissa Marr. My only complaint about her beautifully written Wicked Lovely series is that we don't get a lot of closure on the different story arcs. Some of that was resolved with Stopping Time, a sequel to Ink Exchange. Stopping Time is a novella (boy I wish it would have been a full-length novel) which picks up where Ink Exchange left off.

Leslie left the Dark Court and Niall and Irial behind. She loves both of them and they both love her. They are still looking out for her,...more
I read Ink Exchange more than a year ago, and I don't remember all the details, but I do remember the basics. Great characters, good plot, fantastic writing, and pretty much just that I loved it. But, this isn't a love-letter to Ink Exchange (I promise).

So, liking Ink Exchange as much as I did, I was thrilled to find this short-story in the back of my paperback copy of Fragile Eternity.

Stopping Time picks up a while after Ink Exchange ends, and Leslie has moved away from the town where the res...more
Kelly
You know, I can easily see Irial becoming my favorite Faeries. He's got the sexy, powerful thing going for him, topped with a dark streak and a willingness to do the right thing for his people. That's just... hot.

This was one of those nice little glimpses into the world of our characters after the end of a book. Leslie made the choice to walk away from Niall and Irial and from the Dark Court because she didn't like the person she was when she was in it. It wasn't an easy decision for her to make...more
Cornelia
Ok, so I read this as a bonus within Fragile Eternity. And I'm surprised by how much I like it, given how I felt about Ink Exchange. Maybe the story just works better as a short one, since I don't think much happened in the novel anyway. It took me until this story to realize that this is a true love triangle - in which all three people involved in it actually do love the other two people.

That's so fascinating (and not in a sexual way at all! Although I imagine if they really had a threesome it...more
Jill
A true love triangle! They actually all love each other - the men love each other as much as they each love the girl. I like it!
And, it features my three favorite characters, Leslie, Irial, and Niall!
Kathy Davie
This one is 2.5 in the Wicked Lovely so-very-romantic paranormal series for Young Adults. The couple focus is on Leslie, Irial, and Niall.

My Take
This is so romantic and makes me cry. Makes my heart hurt with all that Irial is giving up.

It irritates me that Leslie wants nothing to do with the Dark Court, and yet she encourages Irial to hang around. She likes the protection of the fairies, but she doesn’t want to give back. I can, however, understand why she doesn’t want to be part of their Court:...more
Gracie
OHMYGAWD!!!

If I didn't love Niall in Ink Exchange, then I'm completely, utterly, irrevocably 190% more taken by him in this short story.

Niall is one of those characters that will really get you hooked, simply by the fact that their whole background is a bit mysterious. And who doesn't like a good mystery?

Leslie and Niall's story was by far, more interesting than Ash&Seth's will ever be.

And with Irial in the picture, this combo (or trio?)'s adventure will be anything but easy :)
willaful
There were parts of this two-part short story that I found really intriguing, but the amount of repetition put me off. (How many times must the conflict be stated? At least once per paragraph, apparently.) It was a nice enough read for free and I would love to see Marr explore this love triangle more in the future. But a little more succinctly, please.
Tracy's Place
4.25

I really liked this short story that continues after Ink Exchange. I knew that there was a relationship between Niall and Irial but I guess I just didn't pick up on the extent of the relationship in IE. This story really shows us more and is quite good.
Librarian Lavender
Stopping Time is a short story about Leslie, Irial and Niall. Leslie has taken back her life again and is determined to live it as normal as possible. It is very hard to completely ignore the faeries though. She knows they are watching over her. Then someone of her past confronts her with her secret.
After Ink Exchange I was glad to read more about Leslie and the two faeries who love her. This story was a bit less dark. Impossible love is the main theme here. Even though Leslie doesn't want to b...more
Krys

Stopping Time is a short story by Melissa Marr based in the same world as Wicked Lovely. It follows Leslie, Irial, and Niall from book two in the series, Ink Exchange. It was very refreshing to read this, as these are my favourite characters in the series. This particular addition really helps to round out everyone as well.

Leslie is a student, assiduously avoiding her past, trying to forget the time she spent in the Dark Court with Irial. Now a college student she has a tentative agreement with...more
Jeanne
This takes place after Ink Exchange. Leslie has left the Dark court, including walking away from Niall and Irial. She loves both of them, but doesn't want to be part of there court. Niall is now the new Dark King. She is living her mortal life with her mortal friends. She will never go back to her mortal life from before she meet Niall and Irial though. She has faeries watching over her(protecting her) from three courts now: Dark, Summer and Winter.

She was frightened by how her life was in the D...more
I am Cat。
I really wish that this had been expanded into a fuller book. Marr definitely would earn brownie points by expanding the Leslie-Niall-Irial triangle. Actually, I'd love to get into the nitty gritty of it. It wasn't something I expected at all, but I think with the Gancanaghs a polyamorous, three way relationship would fit nicely into Wicked Lovely. Looking back (I read this after finishing Darkest Mercy), the same could almost be said about Aislinn-Keenan-Donia, seeing as Aislinn was truly falli...more
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Stopping Time is book 2.5, a short story in the Wicked Lovely Series by Melissa Marr. I really enjoyed this story and seeing more of Irial and Niall. In this story, Irial is watching out for Leslie and keeping his distance. (view spoiler)...more
Kimberly
Okay - disclaimer. This is my first venture into this series. I wanted something short and fluffy to read in between some heavier books that I am tackling. This is certainly it.

I found the characters to be interesting. A lot doesn't seem to happen in this novella, but it seems like the author's intent is to work on some character development in between longer books of the series. I find myself liking most of the characters with the exception of the protagonist's brother, who is a prick, and her...more
orannia
Three and three-quarter stars. While I understand that not everyone can have a HEA, of all the characters in the Wicked Lovely series I felt Leslie deserved one most of all. But she, along with Irial and Niall, seemed doomed to never reach that, being that Leslie is human and fears...not the Dark Court itself, but what she may become if part of it. And yet everyone else at the end of the final book in the series got their HEA. And I'm peeved about it. Which I guess is an issue with the plot, rat...more
Ricki
I don't know why this was written. I thought Ink Exchange's lack of closure was part of its charm, and fit well with the book's mood and themes. Now Marr is trying to wrap up loose ends but it feels exactly like fanfiction to fix a disliked ending. This would have worked a lot better if it were pared down and made an epilogue, rather than tacked on as a bonus chapter or whatever, because its content undermines the book.

It left a bad taste in my mouth because Leslie's character development in Ink...more
Myndi
I was very excited to get more story from Leslie and her Dark Kings. While the ending was still bittersweet, I felt more closure this time around than I did with Ink Exchange. Because of that, I'm very glad that Marr decided to give us this little novella. I'm looking forward to reading the other novella that takes place after Ink Exchange as well.
Kj
I really didn't like Ink Exchange and the more that I think about it I really hated the first half of that book so this story didn't interest me. I only read it because it was included in the version of Fragile Eternity that my library had. Hopefully Leslie's storyline is done for good and I will never have to read about it again but for those fans out there who liked Ink Exchange and the whole love triangle between Irial/Leslie/Niall you will definitely like this short story. It picks up where...more
Jessica
Nothing important really happens that needs to be know.

Review:

a.) Characters: 3/5 score. Leslie has grown since we last seen her in Ink Exchange. I think it’s cute how the faeries watch over her, but it would get annoying if she was trying to leave their world. Leslie doesn’t seem to think much about that.

b.) Plot: 3/5 score. I think this wasn’t needed, but it made me have more questions about Niall and Irial’s past relationship. The whole time Leslie was being stalked, I knew who it was. I me...more
Kristen
This is one of the better tie-in novellas I've read. I still don't like the Dark Court though. Melissa did manage to "resolve" the love triangle in a way that most YA authors wouldn't. Props for that, although I can't decide if it's brilliant or just an easy way out. Hah.
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Emma (BelleBooks)
This is a short e-book which was released as part of the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr. The story takes place between Ink Exchange, book 2 and Fragile Eternity, book 3 in the series.

I this book we see Leslie trying to move on with her life and is now in college after she leaving the Dark Court, of course Niall and Irial are always going to be around, so there is lots of interactions with them in this story as well.

However someone has found out about the Fey, and Lesley's involvement with...more
Amanda
This book paints a more tender version of Irial, adds more layers to the love triangle between the three but mostly it just felt like dragging out a painful breakup.
rebecca  david
This short story made me love Irial even more. I loved everything about it!!!! I think Leslie is very lucky to have both Irial and Niall.
Fanny
It was nice to see how Irial and Niall felt about Leslie, I liked it
Janus Vielle (The Blair Book Project)
Like I said on my review for Ink Exchange, there’s more to Leslie’s story than what the second book of the Wicked Lovely series has provided. And here is one example of what I was talking about! This got me caught up, despite being short, more than Ink Exchange has. But I don't think I would be able to relate with Stopping Time if I hadn’t read Ink Exchange. Still, I think this was more exciting.

For more of my reviews, please visit my blog:
The Blair Book Project @ www.theblairbookproject.blogsp...more
Leticia
I enjoyed reading the conclusion of Leslie's story.
Sarah Maddaford
Other than proving yet again that Fey/Fae morals are not the same as mortal ones, I didn't really see the point of this. The relationships didn't really go any where and in truth I think a lot of the parents in my community would have simply been uncomfortable with the hints at the closeness between Irial and Niall. Of course what made me uncomfortable was the stalker type behavior of Irial and the comfort that Leslie seemed to take in it. I suppose she could have told him to quit at any time an...more
where can i find this book? 1 3 Feb 06, 2013 04:43PM
  • The Lost Boy (The Iron Witch, #0.5)
  • Remedial Magic (Faeriewalker, #0.5)
  • The Vampire Diaries: After Hours (The Vampire Diaries: Extras, #1.5)
  • The Invitation: Gathering Bonus Short
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The Night After I Lost You (The Lynburn Legacy, #1.5)
  • Aftermath (Nightshade, #3.5)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • The Book of Faeyore (Frost, #0.5)
  • Modern Faerie Tales (Modern Faerie Tales, #1-3)
  • An Iron Fey Valentine (The Iron Fey #4.4)
  • Eternal Flame (The Immortals, # 0.5)
  • Starcrossed City (Starcrossed #0.5)
  • The Lost Letters of Brother Gabriel (The Dark Divine, #2.5)
5 stars= If I love you, I'll buy you a copy from this list of books. (Pls note, if you are my family or dearest friends, feel free to remind me to do so. I am lousy w remembering birthdays/holidays.)

4 stars= Don't even ask to borrow it. You should prob buy it though.

3= If you borrow it, you better not lose it, mangle it, or keep it too long.

2 or 1 star= I don't use these. If it's not a 3 star or...more
More about Melissa Marr...
Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely, #2) Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3) Radiant Shadows (Wicked Lovely, #4) Darkest Mercy (Wicked Lovely, #5)

“You are my king. You could command me to stop seeing her."

Niall turned his gaze to Irial. "What would you do?"

"Blind myself, if you were foolish enough to use those words.”
23 likes
“But you didn't need me, did you? You'd already got yourself to safety."
"Sometimes, I sleep better knowing you . . . and Niall . . ." She faltered.
"Love you from a safe distance," he finished.
"Yes.”