Start by marking “Spirited Away” as Want to Read:
Spirited Away

Spirited Away

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  672 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Knight Tristan de Barre and his men were murdered in 1292, their souls cursed to roam Dreadmoor Castle forever.

Forensic archeologist Andi Monroe is excavating the site and studying the legend of a medieval knight who disappeared. But although she's usually rational, Andi could swear she's met the handsome knight's ghost.

Until she finds a way to lift the curse, though,
Published May 1st 2007 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Spirited Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spirited Away

Karen
A very easy 'holiday read.' Though as usual with an American author, some things about England and it's customs, she got jarringly wrong. Cream in your tea anyone?!! Not in England! Milk or lemon usually! And the well-trained butler calling the heroine 'Lady' he would have called her Miss, especially as she was supposed to be employed by his employer, and therefore an equal to him - and not above him in station. And yes, the english language and american language do have their differences.
Howev
Bronwyn Rykiert
What a fun story, love the idea of it and it worked.

Tristian de Barre and his men were murdered in 1292 and they were cursed by their murderer to roam their home Dreadmoor Keep for all eternity. That was until archaeologist Andi Monroe turned up to excavate a find where an ancient tree had recently fallen in a storm. She has been fascinated for years about the legend of Dragonhawk and his men who had disappeared without a trace. She had actually been there 12 years ago and had been saved by a gh
Sarai
Tristan de Barre is a ghost haunting Dreadmoor Castle. Andi is an archaeologist who has been sent to unearth some bones discovered on the property.

This book caught my attention because when I saw it out of the corner of my eye, I thought it had something to do with The Wizard of Oz and it was Dorothy and the Tin Man on the cover. Then I read the description and thought it could be cute, so I checked it out.

Essentially, it was cute, but I had some problems with it. Tristan can make himself visibl
Lisazj1
This is 3.5 stars, just because it was so much fun to read!

Dragonhawk, Lord of Dreadmoor Tristan de Barre (see! Looooved the name) might be a ghost, but that doesn't stop him from being swoon-worthy enough for Dr. Andrea Monroe to fall for. Or me either, for that matter, LOL. :)

I liked the characters very well, the dead as well as the living. The chemistry and interaction between Andrea & Tristan varies from light & flirty to swoony and pretty damn hot. All with absolutely no touching. W
Carolyn F.
Andi is an archeologist contacted to help dig up some remains and medieval weapons at an estate in England. Tristan De Barre and a bunch of is friends were murdered by their foster father and cursed to be ghosts on his land. To never touch, eat, sleep, etc. He can manifest in front of people and as long as they don't touch him, they'd never know he was a ghost. Well, Andi finds out. Unrequited love thing going on. Very sweet romantic story. A little unbelievable ending. And way, way, way too muc ...more
Leya
I found the book fast paced, humorous, and emotional at times. I loved the medieval curse on the knights and I'm hoping that I'll see some of the others with their own books. The hero and heroine were very likable for their part, their needing and chemistry was entertaining but I found that I needed a little more, and I understood the frustration that both had for the lack of physical contact. My favorite character was the butler Jameson, with a close second the young knight Jason.
Kim
This is excellent! All the English history of the 12th century is wonderful and lots of handsome knights who are also ghosts.... the love story is funny and engaging.
Debbi Skeen
I loved it! It was a page turner for me. feel good romance. If it makes you smile, read it! yes, ok, I'm a sap.
Pamela(AllHoney)
A fun read. Nothing to take serious. Just for pure enjoyment.
Sue Green
I was pleasantly surprised to find this book and that it contained characters that appear in the later books of the Dark Ink Chronicles (Elle Jasper). You don't need to have read the series to enjoy this and vice versa.
A fun romantic story with ghosts, witchcraft and an HEA. You learn a bit more about the characters and what happened next in the Dark Ink Chronicles. Would recommend both the series and this book. If you are going to read both would suggest you read this first, as the Chronicles
JennJ
Knights, his lady, castles, ghosts, romance… what more could a girl want!

I truly enjoyed this lovely debut novel from Cindy Miles. I just know she will be keeping fans reading for years to come. If you like the novels of Lynn Kurland (and no closed door policy!) you will LOVE Ms. Miles books. Sexy Knights and strong and funny leading and supporting characters make this one not to miss.

When Dr. Andrea Monroe is granted permission to excavate a recently uncovered horde of weapons and remains at th
Natasja
Andrea Monroe, a forensic archaeologist has dreamed about her mysterious medieval knight who saved her from a fall, while she was trespassing on grounds of Dreadmoor Keep in Northern England. Beside the colour of his eyes, his voice and his chain mail, she remembers the fact that she stumbled right through him. Was her medieval knight real or just a figment in her imagination? Now a skeleton and collection of medieval weapons have been discovers under an oak on Dreadmoor Keep and the Lord of Dre ...more
Readitnweep
Courtney
[2008]I loved the story, and this book convinced me I'm in love (please pardon the pun) with paranormal romances, but I had a couple of issues. This book needs a better editor! Not only was I brit-picking throughout the book (um.. "biscuits," not "cookies" please), there were a couple of instances where the characters' dialog took such a fast turn I thought I had missed a page - but I hadn't. Still, the story kept me reading, and I enjoyed it, despite the need for better editing. I have the auth ...more
Susan
Roxy
i don't think i can put into words how much i adored this book! i could barely put it down and stayed up til 2:30am finishing it. if you're looking for an amazing storyline with a timeless romance this is the book for you. Andi Monroe was called to Dreadmoor Castle because an old oak tree had turned over and revealed skeletal remains along with armor dating back to the thirtenth century. What she doesn't know is that the castle is haunted by fifteen of the liveliest ghost you'd ever want to meet ...more
Andrea
This was so fun to read! It's true that it is very similar to Stardust of Yesterday, but I consider Spirited Away to be better written and more exciting to read (with characters that are actually likeable). The characters reappear in her second book, Into Thin Air, as well. Spirited away was a great read for her first book, and I'd definitely read it again.
Kristin
Avy Archer
I enjoyed it a lot but then as the character got together the story went out the window and I found the end very disappointing.
I_love_a_happily_ever_after
This is the second Cindy Miles book I have read. In fact I read both this week! I finished at 1:30 this morning. :o) I enjoyed this book just as much as I enjoyed the first. I will start reading another Cindy Miles tonight. The tension between the characters was real. No fighting and silly misunderstandings, just natural first love tension and excitement. I loved this book, and I cried through the moments that I thought they would be separated forever. Again, there was sexual tension all the way ...more
Jenn
Any book by Cindy Mikes is great. I love all her books!
Similar to Lynn Kurland, but not quite her level of style!
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
This is my first read by Ms Miles I loved all the characters Tristan and Andi and I liked the idea of the story until it got repetitive. For me this was not a romance novel their was not sensual romantic lovemaking and the happy ending really fell FLAT after being dead for 700 hundred years and meeting your soul mate their should have been an explosion of love making not a half page of let down!! This author needs to read Lisa Kleypas or Julia London they will show her how it is done. This is no ...more
Faithann
Dr. Andrea Kinley Monroe is an anthropologist who is hired to excavate the bailey of a castle from the 13th century. Tristan de Barre, Lord Dreadmoor, is the man who hired her. He is also a ghost, the Legendary Dragonhawk, who was murdered along with his 14 knights. This was quite an enjoyable book to read, it had me laughing at the interaction between the main characters and all the supporting characters, all of whom are wonderful and capture your heart, especially Jameson. Then there is anothe ...more
Helen Bassett
I enjoy reading the story. Lovely ghosts. Liked them all.
Liz
Jul 02, 2008 Liz rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Liz by: Abby
I can't say I hated this book, but I didn't finish it. Perhaps I'm not in the mood for romance. An archaeologist, Dr. Andi Monroe is invited to the Dreadmoor Castle where centuries ago Tristan de Barre and fourteen of his knight disappeared. Tristan has been haunting the castle ever since, making themselves known to few.

Interesting premise that the hero and heroine can't touch (ghosts y'know), but I stopped reading before this became an issue.
Nancy
It was a fun book to read, but I read it after having read one of her later books (Highland Knight- which was SO very good!) so this one seemed a little pale in comparison. It seemed a bit repetitious (he keeps staring at her intently, she keeps melting into a puddle) and there were a few inconsistencies, but I still feel it was worth reading. I will definitely read more of her books, it is such a fun genre!
Kerrie DuBrock
This book is a keeper! I read it a few years ago and pulled it out again recently to re-read. I'm sure I'll pull it out again next year!

Who doesn't love a sexy knight? Cindy Miles books are always entertaining and too short! I'm always looking for more because she creates characters that are funny and interesting.

I recommend all of her books! She's a very talented writer and I'm eagerly awaiting another book!
Amanda
Book #19 of 2009
The ending was quite anti-climatic. After building up the whole ghost thing for most of the book, the knight's reapperance as living was never explained at all. And the villian was promptly disposed of with barely any effort. I prefered Miles' "Highland Knight" (Book #9) more... at least there was some explanation at the end.
Borrowed from the library.
J.J. Levesque
Another really great book by Cindy Miles. The romance is clean if that's what you're looking for, with little physical intimacy until the very end, but the romance is still there and beautiful. Jason, though fairly minor, in comparison to Andi and Tristan, is a great character. Love the idea of ghosts from another century interacting with and people from today.
What's The Name o...: Haunted Castle? Romance book [s] 8 51 May 10, 2013 10:05AM
  • Hundreds of Years to Reform a Rake
  • Stardust of Yesterday (de Piaget, #11; de Paiget/MacLeod, #1)
  • Highland Guardian (Daughters of the Glen, #2)
  • Highlander In Her Bed (Highlander, #1)
  • A Highlander Christmas
  • A Hoboken Hipster in Sherwood Forest
  • A Restless Knight (The Dragons of Challon, #1)
  • Spellbound Falls (Spellbound Falls #1)
  • A Highlander for Christmas
Cindy Miles is the best-selling author of twelve novels, one anthology and three short stories. She also writes as Elle Jasper, and grew up on the salt marshes of the Vernon River in Savannah, Georgia.
More about Cindy Miles...
Stupid Girl (Stupid in Love, #1) Forevermore Highland Knight Stupid Boy (Stupid in Love, # 2) Into Thin Air