Start by marking “Jonathan Edwards Lover of God” as Want to Read:
Jonathan Edwards Lover of God

Jonathan Edwards Lover of God (Jonathan Edwards Collection)

This volume of The Essential Edwards Collection tells the story of Jonathan's life and the important events that shaped his faith and views on God and salvation. It is a biographical and contextual look at the man credited for starting the First Great Awakening that is accessable and readable for everyone. You do not need to be a scholar to enjoy and benefit from the story ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Jonathan Edwards Lover of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jonathan Edwards Lover of God

Matt Mason
May 18, 2014 Matt Mason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As an intro to Edwards, this book has the virtues of being concise and accessible. The way Edwards embraced providence in the ebb and flow of life, his leveraging of language, his family life, the way he cherished his wife and children, there were many fresh illustrations of this in the book. Of course, his work ethic, intensity and zeal were predictably provocative. I found the application sections at the end of each chapter to be helpful and very down to earth. This book does not engage Edward ...more
Joshua
Apr 28, 2013 Joshua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was about 16 years of age I first encountered Jonathan Edwards' sermon "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God." I was impressed and although I did not fully understand all that I read I made a concerted effort to be certain and read the entire text of the message. My interest in Edwards was peaked and I started to look for more information about his life and ministry. I ran across another of his works on the great revival that his church experienced in Northampton. The book soon became cum ...more
Jason

The Essential Edwards Collection:
Jonathan Edwards Lover of God
By
Owen Strachan and Doug Sweeny

This is one volume in a five-volume set. These volumes are not numbered in any particular order, but this would be probably the best one to start with. The reason for this is that this is more biographical than the others. This book begins with the birth and early life of Edwards, including his educational background. Edwards formal education ended with him giving the valedictori
Luke Burgess
This was a good book but not a great book. I expected this to contain far more of Edwards own writing. In reality the book was largely the work of Strachan with excerpts from Edwards. The positive result is to make Edwards accessible to more people but the negative result is to diminish the power that Edwards wields. Much of what was in this was already familiar to me from biographies of Whitfield, and Edwards (particularly those by Murray and Dodd), as well as writings on the history of the ref ...more
Luke Miller
Aug 24, 2016 Luke Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in this series on Jonathan Edwards' theology. However, this book was much more biographical. You can see how much of Edwards' theology was deepened and challenged by his life experiences.
Ashley
Jun 27, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jonathan Edwards was one of the most influental theologians, pastors, and thinkers of the eighteenth century. Thanks to Strachan and Sweeney we now have a accessible way to read about Edward's vision to live a life that glorified God. This book carefully paints Edwards as godly man, but does not indulge in hagiography. He believed in the same Jesus Christ that we do today. He fought the same battles that we do today, yet he lived for God's glory and not his own. I found myself encouraged by his ...more
Brantley Rutz
Feb 07, 2015 Brantley Rutz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good primer on the life and theology of Jonathan Edwards. Although not an exhaustive biography, it does give great insight into his life and love for God. The part I enjoyed most about the book was its practicality. Each chapter ends with applications from Edwards' life for the Christian to emulate as well as encouragement to avoid some of his personal pitfalls and sins. I enjoyed the book and recommend it.
Mark
Sep 07, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first in the Essential Edwards Collection, Lover of God is an informative, helpful and encouraging introduction to Jonathan Edwards' life and theology. It is accessible, deep and filled with application. For anyone wanting an accessible way to begin to understand America's finest theologian, scholar and preacher, this series is one of the best. I look forward to reading the other four books in the series.
Vaughn
Jul 06, 2013 Vaughn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid book and a quick read about this great used man of God. It's the second of the series that I've read and I highly recommend it. Also see my review of "Jonathan Edwards on the Good Life." Keep in mind that this is a short-ish book and not intended to be comprehensive - for indepth coverage of Jonathan Edwards, you cannot go wrong with "Jonathan Edwards: A Life" by George M. Marsden.

Michael
Dec 04, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just wading into the Edwards pool. This brief series looks very promising. This volume was certainly introductory, but very well organized and interesting.

The layout is a combination of biography, outline of thought and devotional. It a very effective introduction, for I get a sense of the man, his work and how to understand the lessons of his life. Very good book.
Dave
Feb 13, 2011 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read the four books of this collection. This was a very quick and fun read into the life of Jonathan Edwards and how he became the man he was. You get a good look into the life and struggles of one who loved the Lord and wanted to make sure he was not wasting his life, but was making his life one for the Lord!
Michael Newton
Nov 15, 2010 Michael Newton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
Great Book to read about Jonathan Edwards it is full of application for us who are living today and how we are to act as believers from the life of John Piper. Probably one of my favorite books as of recent. Nice, Sweet, Short, and to the Point.
Bob Jensen
May 01, 2012 Bob Jensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This is the first of five volumes introducing the thought and theology of Jonathan Edwards. I look forward to reading the next four.
Mark
Apr 12, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it
Good simple overview of a great theologians life. It makes me excited to dive deeper into Jonathan Edwards.
Josiah
Apr 20, 2013 Josiah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great introduction to those unfamiliar with Jonathan Edwards.
Daniel Alvers
I really enjoyed this work!
Jerrill Wyler
Jerrill Wyler is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2016
Sean McGaughran
Sean McGaughran marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Jeana Small
Jeana Small marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Patrick Lewis
Patrick Lewis rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Freakindeacon
Freakindeacon rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Marsha Kerr
Marsha Kerr marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Carrie
Carrie added it
Jul 21, 2016
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Nayane Medeiros
Nayane Medeiros marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Jordan Rowland
Jordan Rowland marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Pate Hubbard
Pate Hubbard rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Joshua Jenkins
Joshua Jenkins marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A God Entranced Vision of All Things: The Legacy of Jonathan Edwards
  • A Jonathan Edwards Reader
  • Taking Hold of God
  • The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • The Rise of Evangelicalism: The Age of Edwards, Whitefield and the Wesleys
  • Errand into the Wilderness
  • The Holy Spirit
  • The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards (Long Line of Godly Men Profile)
  • The Gospel-Driven Life: Being Good News People in a Bad News World
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • Collected Writings on Scripture
  • For the Fame of God's Name: Essays in Honor of John Piper
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • One-to-One Bible Reading: A Simple Guide for Every Christian
  • What's So Great about the Doctrines of Grace?
  • No Place for Truth: or Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology?
Owen Strachan (PhD, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) teaches at Boyce College and Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky, where he also directs the Carl F. H. Henry Institute for Evangelical Engagement and serves as a Fellow with the Center for Pastor Theologians.
More about Owen Strachan...

Jonathan Edwards Collection (5 books)
  • Jonathan Edwards on Beauty