Start by marking “Kidnapped (Irene Kelly, #10)” as Want to Read:
Kidnapped (Irene Kelly, #10)

Kidnapped (Irene Kelly #10)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  910 ratings  ·  74 reviews
When Irene Kelly's articles profiling missing children run in the Las Piernas Express, she anticipates the renewed public interest and the deluge of phone tips and remembered clues; she even anticipates the renewed pain of the anguished parents. What she doesn't expect is that the articles will set off a murderous chain reaction -- and put her life in peril.

Perhaps one o
Published October 3rd 2006 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Kidnapped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kidnapped

Aug 15, 2008 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery readers
Interestingly enough, I started to read this book and realized that I had read a portion of it before...looked up the information online and, yep, it was an email bookclub read 2 years ago! How's that for memory?

Anyway, to the book....

You read through this one knowing pretty much how certain things happened, so there's no surprises there. It's interesting, though, to follow the story as it develops for the characters.

The only thing that I noticed, which kind of bugged me just a little, is switch
Monica Ricardez
Having read Bones and Bloodlines I was expecting another page-turning suspense-thriller but I was unpleasantly surprised. Kidnapped is definitely not one of Burke's best works. Despite it's interesting introduction to a mysterious character in the beginning, the story line takes too long to develop. The introduction of too many characters turn the story more complex than interesting. Trying to follow each family while trying to identify every member becomes cumbersome and worst of all, it become ...more
This was the first book that I had read by Jan Burke and in the Irene Kelly series. I didn't realize that it was a series when I first picked it up. One thing I didn't like was that there were soooo many characters. The beginning was difficult for me because of the huge number of characters. Maybe if I'd started with the 1st book in the series, it would have been easier?? Anyway, Irene Kelly is a reporter who is married to a police detective. I liked both of these characters. In this case, there ...more
this book really kept your interest. I am very glad I picked it up. it makes me want to go back and read other Irene Kelly books just to see how they go. The story line on this one was very scary though. way too realistic in some sense. Maybe it just hti to close to home for me because i work with foster and adopted children all the time.
Dawn Fayard
I have a problem with books that start off with a laundry list of characters...I spent more time flipping back pages to remember who was related by marriage,birth, adoption, foster care...yadda was a bit annoying.
KIDNAPPED (Unlicensed Investigator(Reporter)-So. Cal-Cont) – Okay
Burke, Jan – 12th in series
Simon & Schuster, 2006-Hardcover
*** Reporter Irene Burke does an article on kidnapped children that ties her into a 5-year-old murder of Robert Fletcher, for which one son is imprisoned, the daughter missing and the remaining son working with forensic anthropologist Ben Sheridan. Robert Fletcher’s father believed in adopting and fostering children, home schooling them before enrolling them in the pres
#10 in the Irene Kelly series. Finalist 2007 Anthony Award for Best Mystery; Finalist 2007 Nero Award.

#10 Irene Kelly has written about missing children and now the body of a man assumed to be an abductor parent has been uncovered. Irene also gets involved in reviewing the situation of Mason Fletcher, in prison for the last five years and estranged from his far-flung family, convicted of killing his father and his pre-school age sister (whose body has not been located).

Teena in Toronto
This is the tenth book in the series of eleven (as of 2011) ... I'm rereading the series.

As with most in this series, I find that there are way too many characters and I have a hard time keeping them straight. This one was especially tricky because there were so many in the Fletcher family. A family tree would have been helpful.

Ethan from the last book is still staying with Irene and Frank recovering ... he had such a inconsequential role that I wondered why he was even in it.

There were a few tw
Kidnapped started out well. It had an interesting premise with a murder, a kidnapping, and what appeared to be a wrongful conviction of another family member. The murder victim was a member of the Fletcher clan, a family of foster kids adopted by a benevolent millionaire and his wife. Despite their tough backgrounds, all of these kids grew up to be highly successful adults. And there were lots of them. It seemed almost everytime a new character was introduced, he or she was a closet Fletcher. So ...more
I can honestly say that this book is one of the rare ones that gave me a headache while reading it. The storyline is too unbelievable and goes all over the place. There are way too many characters and none are likable. People get killed at the drop of a hat and it doesn't even seem necessary.Irene Kelly is like some all-knowing,all-involved diety-why is she in everything that is going on and have such a hand in all aspects?? Even the kids in this book stick her in the thick of things and they di ...more
Feb 01, 2008 Marlyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Shelves: mystery
Every time I read Jan Burke's latest book, I think it's her best. I thought Hocus was the best. I thought Bloodlines was her best. But I'm pretty sure that Kidnapped is really her best.
Members of the Fletcher family, a large, unusual SoCal clan, are being killed. One of Irene's former colleagues married into the family, though that is not the only reason Irene's investigative senses are tingling. She's just done a feature on children kidnapped by their non-custodial parents. One of the Fletcher
Jun 10, 2008 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans
This was probably the best mystery I've read in a while. Irene Kelly is a journalist working on a missing children story for her newspaper which leads her into all sorts of danger. Murdered fathers, search and rescue dogs, kidnapped siblings, people pretending to be who they aren't - this book has it all, along with brief chapters and page turning suspense that makes it hard to stop reading. There is a plotline about a cult-like extended family that is integral to the story, but somewhat unreali ...more
Another in the Irene Kelly, Southern California newspaper reporter, mystery series. As usual in this series, there is a solid plot as Irene works to unravel the mystery. In this case it involves an extended family of people fostered or adopted as children to comprise a large family of "related" influencial people in Kelly's community. The plot starts dealing with missing children, moves to involved murder, someone framed for murder, and a number of children gone missing.

Plot line is a bit differ
Jan Burke doesn't write enough, she's great. Irene Kelly investigates and exonerates a kidnapping from years before.
Sharon Dickman
Not sure how I have missed this author before, but I really liked this book. I will look for more.
Catherine Woodman
At the start of Edgar-winner Burke's well-crafted 10th novel of suspense (after 2005's Bloodlines), sociopathic killer Cleo Smith has just murdered a graphic artist, Richard Fletcher, who was a member of a large, bizarre California family, but Smith's motive for the killing remains obscure. Five years later, Fletcher's adopted son has been wrongfully convicted of the crime, and Burke's resourceful and compassionate reporter heroine, Irene Kelly, has written a story about missing children that ha ...more
Kevin Bachovchin
One of my favorite Jan Burke books.
Donna Davis's your heart?

The pacing in Jan Burke's Irene Kelly series is unrelenting. The only issue that keeps that fifth star (which to me, means flat-out amazing) is that after ten episodes, I find myself saying, "Really? All these things happened to this one woman?" Being married to a cop only explains so much, even when the reader is willing to set reality aside to some extent and buy into the writer's premise.

That said, I really enjoy her work, and this one--whose plot I will leave to the rea
Irene Kelly series.
I think this is the newest Irene Kelly novel available now, so I’m caught up at last. Which is great, ’cause I love that feeling, but it also sucks, ’cause now I’ll have to wait and hope and wait and search and wait… and I hate waiting for the next book in any series. This one was good, though, really good. And it came out in 2006, so maybe that means a new one is rather imminent? A girl can hope! (written in 2008)
A good solid mystery - good characters, and I'll definitely read more of the series, but as the book went along, "holes" developed and some of the story lines seemed unevenly developed. I also didnt like that they alluded a lot to events in previous books but never filled in more of the back story on that. I can see not retelling the whole story, but this was even less info than a "tease."
Aug 06, 2014 Kim rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kim by: judy skaggs and Lela Adkins
I really couldn't get into this book
Lian Tanner
Another excellent crime series that I'm reading my way through. This addresses the highly emotive topic of kidnapped children, and does it with great compassion, giving us an insight into the nightmare life of parents whose kids have been taken. Irene Kelly is a wonderful protagonist - intelligent, brave and resourceful, and the children in the story are also terrific.
Jodi Pomerleau
I liked it. I read reviews which said there were too many characters to keep straight, but I don't read a story all in one sitting and I had no trouble. I love Irene Kelly's character, but she seems to get into the wildest situations. It is fiction after all, so the likelihood of so many odd things happening to one person is a bit exaggerated for entertainment purposes.
Didn't finish - skipped to the end to find out who the baddies where. I couldn't make head nor tail of the characters in this book. It probably would have helped if I had read any of the author's books before I guess, as this was number 9 in the series, but it just seemed to me that there was a cast of thousands and a confusing plot.
I always enjoy the Irene Kelly series of Jan Burke. This was good but it had so many characters that it was a bit difficult to keep track of who was who and how they were related. It was suspensful to the very end, which I always like. I would have given it a higher rating if she could have kept the characters better defined.
I'm in a Bad Book Funk right now. 3 straight books that I haven't been able to finish.

Kidnapped was a good enough premise, but there were just so many characters to keep track of. And you'd read about a character for 3 or 4 pages, then not hear from them again for 40 pages. By then, you've forgotten them.
This is #10 in Irene Kelly series and it is about a family that adopts children that are gifted. They are not really adopted as someone snatches the kids and kills the parents. Irene is drawn into the case even though she is not allowed to report on it. Hard book to put down.
  • Losing Ground (Inspector Sloan #22)
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • Castle Rouge (Irene Adler, #6)
  • Weird Texas: Your travel guide to Texas's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • The Benson Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #1)
  • Castle Gay (Dickson McCunn, #2)
  • The Tamarind Seed
  • The Headmistress
  • Winter And Night (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #8)
  • Desire and Duty: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • A Dilly of a Death (China Bayles, #12)
  • The Paris Plot (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #6,5)
  • An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)
  • A Private Disgrace: Lizzie Borden By Daylight

Irene Kelly (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Goodnight, Irene (Irene Kelly #1)
  • Sweet Dreams, Irene (Irene Kelly #2)
  • Dear Irene (Irene Kelly #3)
  • Remember Me, Irene (Irene Kelly #4)
  • Hocus (Irene Kelly #5)
  • Liar (Irene Kelly, #6)
  • Bones (Irene Kelly, #7)
  • Flight (Irene Kelly, #8)
  • Bloodlines (Irene Kelly, #9)
  • Disturbance (Irene Kelly, #11)