Start by marking “Magician Apprentice, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Magician Apprentice, Volume 1

Magician Apprentice, Volume 1 (Raymond E. Feist's Magician: Apprentice #1)

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  13,031 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Pug and Tomas are two kitchen boys in the castle of Crydee with big dreams of being soldiers. But when choosing day arrives and Pug fails to be chosen by the swordmaster as an apprentice along with Tomas, he finds himself instead under the tutelage of Kulgan, a master magician. Kulgan instructs Pug in the arts of the mystical path of magic and discovers that the boy has an ...more
Published October 24th 2007 by Marvel Enterprises, Inc. (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Magician Apprentice, Volume 1, please sign up.

Ron Wierman It isn't geared to young adults specifically. But it is appropriate for all ages.

So I'm reading this because a friend is making me lol. It's one of her favourite books and because I couldn't stomach the novel she thought I'd be much better suited to the comic. I'll admit, it's all right. It's interesting enough and it's got a magicians in it. I just don't think it's for me. I'm not much of a fantasy fiction girl. I prefer sci-fi and I don't really fall into all the old worldy kinds of storylines. I like Lord of the Rings and Merlin and that's enough for me. Stuff like this d ...more
Samantha Larmore
(Spoilers)

I read Magician: Apprentice by Raymond E. Feist, which is book one of the Rift Saga. This book is about a young orphan, named Pug, who, in a day’s time, becomes the apprentice of the greatest magician in Crydee, Kulgan. The story begins in the Western city of Crydee, a city in Midkemia. On the day of the Choosing, fifteen-year-old Pug and his best friend, Tomas, were each chosen for apprenticeship, Tomas with Swordmaster Fannon and Pug for Magician Kulgan. After much study, Pug was ask
Drozdal
This book was OK at best. Pretty sloppy writing, fantasy by numbers. Chosen one / coming of the age story where main characters can't do no wrong and everyone has infinite amounts patience for them - be it princes, mages, kings or dragons. There are five female characters in the book - one is Queen of elfs for one of the main characters to fall in love, second in a princess to fall in love with, third - mentioned princess maid / help lady, one of the main characters mom and lastly another 9 year ...more
Jeff Raymond
I'm coming to the conclusion that these graphic novel adaptations of important fantasy books don't really work for me. The detail of them often gets lost in the art, the stories becoming kind of diluted, and the format doesn't often lend itself to quality storytelling.

On the other hand, this made me want to read this series in its original form quite a bit. So it wasn't a complete loss, but given that it took me 10 days to want to finish this says quite a bit...
The
Full review at http://atg-reviews.com/books-and-comi...

Raymond E. Feist’s Riftwar Saga is another fantasy trilogy that’s been split into four books. The split occurs in the first book, Magician, which was split into Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master.

Riftwar is a series that is rooted in traditional Tolkienesque fantasy: an ordinary orphan becomes a powerful figure in a war against evil. What surprised me was how this book could have easily deviated from traditional fantasy story structur
Cadfan
On it's own this book is actually pretty shoddy. This is mainly because of Feist's poor quality of writing. However this book is basically an essential read if you want to fully experience the full majesty of the second book (and the following books as well). In fairness, this book does set up the base of the story well. Unfortunately we can't just nose-dive straight into the epicness.

I suppose you could enjoy this book on its own if you feel like reading the simple, almost 'homely' beginnings
Anthony
I read this series back in High School and enjoyed it then and plan on re reading it at some point ad Feist does an excellent job of character development and story involvement.
James Forbes
Yeah, I read it. But why bother when there is George RR Martin?
Alexander
I probably purchased 9 books in this series mostly based on the first paragraph of this first book. I love that paragraph. The remainder of the first trilogy is quite wonderful and it is all very swashbuckling rescues, diabolical armies and god like artifacts. Pug is one of my favorite fantasy characters and he wasn't demoted to rare guest star I'd probably follow it still.
Harold Ogle
This is the first six issues of the comic book adaptation of Raymond Feist's book Magician>, which is one of the best high-fantasy epics written. Unfortunately, the comics somehow eliminate nearly all that's fun and interesting in the books, while also making weird artistic choices that minimalize any sense of continuity the reader might develop. For one thing, different artists for each issue result in characters looking wildly different from one section of the book to the next (in the first ...more
Ambar
Me gusto la historia en general, la accion es fluida y sin duda entretenida aunque haya momentos en los que parece el tipico cliche de las peliculas de fantasia, ya saben el heroe valiente, el malo muy malo ...
Mi personaje favorito me Arutha me encanto la forma en que se desarrollo durante la trama de la invasion y que se dio a conocer mas su caracter, considerando que el no es muy carismatico y lleno de energia como su hermano mayor o mas entusiasta como el resto de los persoanjes jovenes. Si y
Hannah
Liked the beginning... but then I lost interest and still kept reading, because I'm stubborn and won't put a book down when I need to. The ending was okay. The book felt a bit rushed though...
Raven Oak
The main character, orphan Pug, came to the Kingdom of the Isles to study magic under a master magician. Problem was, he wasn’t very good at it. The way his master taught, wasn’t working for Pug. He ended up defining a new magic, befriending a princess, and changing the entire world.
When I look back at it now, I see the plot for what it is: the standard magician coming into his powers and changing the world trope. And yet, for all its simplicity plot wise, I loved reading about Pug and his stru
A
I found this book by amazing coincidence. I had read the authors before it and after it on a book shelf and picked it up, annoyed that it was the only thing on a whole book case in the store I hadn't read.
Amazing story. So fun. It really carries you away into the book. From the near drowning as the tide comes in, and the spooky walk home, I felt like I was there. Just have to love Pug, but feel sorry for him as well.

I loved it so much I went on to read all of his co-authored novels with Janny W
Mary Fallon
Really enjoyed the saga. A bit like G O T without so much gory stuff. Not sure if I'll read the sequels though.
Jamie Simo
Vic
Brilliant. Loved every minute of it. The best magical adventure book I have ever read.
Darren
Fun fantasy from the 80s. Liked the characters, enjoyed the Empire/barbarian dichotomy.
Yumimi
A mediocre adaption of a brilliant book.
N
There are books where every life is precious to you, every death makes you weep or cheer. This book felt like it was covered in a layer of cellophane that I could not tear through. I didn't connect with anyone, I won't be reading the rest of the series....
Ian D
A formative book from my childhood
Karyn Mitchell
One of my favourites - fantastic saga.
Chad
Fun 80's throwback read.
Larry
Compelling storyline that was probably somewhat original at the time it was written but now it is a bit cliched. Characters are a bit wooden with all the usual archetypes. The ending was strong enough to convince me to read the 2nd book, however, to see what happens next. Just not right away.
Marlon Sykes
This book was one of my first journeys into the world of magic and adventure. I actually stumbled across the fourth book in this series, looking for something to keep me busy between calls at a telemarketing job. I was so intrigued with the story line, so I sought out the first book, which was actually TWO: Magician - Apprentice, and Magician - Master. I was hooked! Now I can say that Raymond Feist is one of my favorite authors in the world of Fantasy.
Peter
A pleasant stroll down memory lane. Reminded me of some of the story elements of Feist's world that I liked. Artwork is not at all a style I like, but that it not all that important.
Jackie Turner
I loved this book and cannot wait to read the next two. A rip roaring adventure.
Mike
Good stuff, adapted from an even better series. This book suffers a bit from the hand of the editor, but most novels adapted to comics form do. If you've ever read the Riftwar Saga by Feist, you'll enjoy this. The art is ok, but it's no Jazzy Johnny or Sal Buscema, more in the Michael Turner vein (but not near as good as Turner). Better art would have gotten it that fifth star.
Chris
This is a beautifully woven story. It is truly story telling at its finest. Rich and complex characters, magic, mystery, wild and vivid settings, and best of all a tight hero's journey narrative that will keep you dreaming and longing for your own fantastical adventure. Must read for Fantasy lovers.
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set  (Wheel of Time, #1-8)
  • Homeland: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #1)
  • Robin Hobb Collection: Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest (The Farseer Trilogy)
  • The Sword of Truth Boxed Set II: Temple of the Winds; Soul of the Fire; Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #4-6)
  • The Elenium: The Diamond Throne, The Ruby Knight & The Sapphire Rose (The Elenium, #1-3)
  • In the Shadow of the Warlock Lord (The Sword of Shannara, #1)
  • The Night Angel Trilogy (Night Angel, #1-3)
  • Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set (Mistborn, #1-3)
  • The Lost Swords: The First Triad (Lost Swords, #1-3)
  • Waylander (Drenai Saga, #3)
  • Xanth: The Quest for Magic (Xanth, #1-3)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more
More about Raymond E. Feist...
Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2) Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1) A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4) Magician (The Riftwar Saga, #1-2) Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)