Start by marking “Magician Apprentice, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Magician Apprentice, Volume 1

Magician Apprentice, Volume 1 (Raymond E. Feist's Magician: Apprentice #1)

4.44  ·  Rating Details ·  17,343 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
Pug and Tomas are two kitchen boys in the castle of Crydee with big dreams of being soldiers. But when choosing day arrives and Pug fails to be chosen by the swordmaster as an apprentice along with Tomas, he finds himself instead under the tutelage of Kulgan, a master magician. Kulgan instructs Pug in the arts of the mystical path of magic and discovers that the boy has an ...more
Published October 24th 2007 by Marvel Enterprises, Inc. (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Magician Apprentice, Volume 1, please sign up.

Ron Wierman It isn't geared to young adults specifically. But it is appropriate for all ages.

Benozir Ahmed
Jan 06, 2016 Benozir Ahmed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my rating 3.75
storyline has been built on a world named midkemia. on the far westerncoast of the human kingdom of Rillanon there is a province named crydee where a ritual is maintained that as per requirement they set a day of choosing. On which day 15 year old boys are chosen under few specific masters for apprenticeship. tomas and pug are two friends who were chosen as well. this is the beginning. (don't like to tell much about the story, better read it yourself if u feel like)
there are some
Dale Pearl
I remember the first time reading this. The book was passed down to me from a friend of mine. We were both in the Navy and in the process of going through electronics school. In my opinion a classic of the fantasy genre. The only downsize to this book and later the series is that it borrows to much material from other fantasy novels in order to make a lasting tale. Tolkien, Brooks, Donaldson.... their books can be seen through the riftwar saga as well.
James Forbes
Aug 08, 2012 James Forbes rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, I read it. But why bother when there is George RR Martin?
Cassienerdgirl
Feb 26, 2015 Cassienerdgirl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boooooooo.
Samantha Larmore
(Spoilers)

I read Magician: Apprentice by Raymond E. Feist, which is book one of the Rift Saga. This book is about a young orphan, named Pug, who, in a day’s time, becomes the apprentice of the greatest magician in Crydee, Kulgan. The story begins in the Western city of Crydee, a city in Midkemia. On the day of the Choosing, fifteen-year-old Pug and his best friend, Tomas, were each chosen for apprenticeship, Tomas with Swordmaster Fannon and Pug for Magician Kulgan. After much study, Pug was ask
Drozdal
May 14, 2014 Drozdal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was OK at best. Pretty sloppy writing, fantasy by numbers. Chosen one / coming of the age story where main characters can't do no wrong and everyone has infinite amounts patience for them - be it princes, mages, kings or dragons. There are five female characters in the book - one is Queen of elfs for one of the main characters to fall in love, second in a princess to fall in love with, third - mentioned princess maid / help lady, one of the main characters mom and lastly another 9 year ...more
Jeff Raymond
I'm coming to the conclusion that these graphic novel adaptations of important fantasy books don't really work for me. The detail of them often gets lost in the art, the stories becoming kind of diluted, and the format doesn't often lend itself to quality storytelling.

On the other hand, this made me want to read this series in its original form quite a bit. So it wasn't a complete loss, but given that it took me 10 days to want to finish this says quite a bit...
Anthony
Sep 19, 2011 Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this series back in High School and enjoyed it then and plan on re reading it at some point ad Feist does an excellent job of character development and story involvement.
Nic Cooper
Needed more magic
TrudiT Thomas
Jan 16, 2017 TrudiT Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant start to this trilogy. I read this years ago and have recently gone back to re-reading them.
His later books became very static and sometimes boring to read but this is fresh and vibrant writing and well worth reading.
Bizzy Day
Feb 23, 2017 Bizzy Day rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So enjoyed this book. Pug's world is so realised and I was swept along very easily. The book lost me towards the end when it started to gravitate away from Pug and Tomos but I'm looking forward to reading book 2 and catching up with them again.
Rhoda
Feb 18, 2017 Rhoda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good sci-fi get lost in another world book
Craig Brown
Classic good/bad tale with orphan protagonist that overcomes odds to become ....

I ready plenty of fantasy books (TLOTR, The Belgariad etc) as a young teenager, and after a recent spate of Game of Thrones thought I'd visit this series that I overlooked when a few decades ago. I probably would have liked it more then, but I see it has so many issues in writing style and story that sometimes I was a bit disappointed. Overall, it was OK - I will give the 2nd book a try and see if there is some grow
Jeff Fraley
Book is awesome. Best fantasy series imo.
Dimitri Halkidis
Mar 18, 2015 Dimitri Halkidis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, I’m a slow reader. Second, The Magician had a certain Tolkien-esque style of narration that forced you to slow your pace and really get a feel of every word written. Like wading through quicksand, or hacking your way through dense jungle, this book is something you physically can’t rush through.

Now, the above were terrible analogies, because they imply this book was a chore to read. It wasn’t. By God it wasn’t. From beginning to end it was sheer, unadulterated joy. Every word evoked long-
The
Jul 26, 2014 The rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review at http://www.atgreviews.net/2015/12/rif...

Raymond E. Feist’s Riftwar Saga is another fantasy trilogy that’s been split into four books. The split occurs in the first book, Magician, which was split into Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master.

Riftwar is a series that is rooted in traditional Tolkienesque fantasy: an ordinary orphan becomes a powerful figure in a war against evil. What surprised me was how this book could have easily deviated from traditional fantasy story structur
Cadfan
Oct 27, 2014 Cadfan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
On it's own this book is actually pretty shoddy. This is mainly because of Feist's poor quality of writing. However this book is basically an essential read if you want to fully experience the full majesty of the second book (and the following books as well). In fairness, this book does set up the base of the story well. Unfortunately we can't just nose-dive straight into the epicness.

I suppose you could enjoy this book on its own if you feel like reading the simple, almost 'homely' beginnings
Harold Ogle
Jul 21, 2013 Harold Ogle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first six issues of the comic book adaptation of Raymond Feist's book Magician>, which is one of the best high-fantasy epics written. Unfortunately, the comics somehow eliminate nearly all that's fun and interesting in the books, while also making weird artistic choices that minimalize any sense of continuity the reader might develop. For one thing, different artists for each issue result in characters looking wildly different from one section of the book to the next (in the first ...more
Ambar
Apr 06, 2014 Ambar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gusto la historia en general, la accion es fluida y sin duda entretenida aunque haya momentos en los que parece el tipico cliche de las peliculas de fantasia, ya saben el heroe valiente, el malo muy malo ...
Mi personaje favorito me Arutha me encanto la forma en que se desarrollo durante la trama de la invasion y que se dio a conocer mas su caracter, considerando que el no es muy carismatico y lleno de energia como su hermano mayor o mas entusiasta como el resto de los persoanjes jovenes. Si y
Raven Oak
May 23, 2014 Raven Oak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The main character, orphan Pug, came to the Kingdom of the Isles to study magic under a master magician. Problem was, he wasn’t very good at it. The way his master taught, wasn’t working for Pug. He ended up defining a new magic, befriending a princess, and changing the entire world.
When I look back at it now, I see the plot for what it is: the standard magician coming into his powers and changing the world trope. And yet, for all its simplicity plot wise, I loved reading about Pug and his stru
Jamie
Mar 29, 2013 Jamie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
A
Feb 11, 2014 A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book by amazing coincidence. I had read the authors before it and after it on a book shelf and picked it up, annoyed that it was the only thing on a whole book case in the store I hadn't read.
Amazing story. So fun. It really carries you away into the book. From the near drowning as the tide comes in, and the spooky walk home, I felt like I was there. Just have to love Pug, but feel sorry for him as well.

I loved it so much I went on to read all of his co-authored novels with Janny W
Marlon Sykes
Jun 11, 2013 Marlon Sykes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of my first journeys into the world of magic and adventure. I actually stumbled across the fourth book in this series, looking for something to keep me busy between calls at a telemarketing job. I was so intrigued with the story line, so I sought out the first book, which was actually TWO: Magician - Apprentice, and Magician - Master. I was hooked! Now I can say that Raymond Feist is one of my favorite authors in the world of Fantasy.
Mike
Jun 08, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff, adapted from an even better series. This book suffers a bit from the hand of the editor, but most novels adapted to comics form do. If you've ever read the Riftwar Saga by Feist, you'll enjoy this. The art is ok, but it's no Jazzy Johnny or Sal Buscema, more in the Michael Turner vein (but not near as good as Turner). Better art would have gotten it that fifth star.
Joey
Dec 27, 2007 Joey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First read this book in 86 while stationed in Okinawa Japan, 9th marines HQ. The book got read raed by all the Marines there. I couldn't wait to get back stateside to get the rest of the series. Alot of us were into D&D and the story in "Magicians Apprentice" went along so well with the role playing game.
Alexander
Apr 29, 2014 Alexander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I probably purchased 9 books in this series mostly based on the first paragraph of this first book. I love that paragraph. The remainder of the first trilogy is quite wonderful and it is all very swashbuckling rescues, diabolical armies and god like artifacts. Pug is one of my favorite fantasy characters and he wasn't demoted to rare guest star I'd probably follow it still.
Deep Gill
Jun 01, 2009 Deep Gill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
The little storyline tweaks that make it more appealing in graphic form to a tween / adolescent audience take away from character development that is found in the book. And while it is good to see Feist's words come to life, the drawings seem to childish to be taken as seriously as the plot suggests.
Chris
May 11, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautifully woven story. It is truly story telling at its finest. Rich and complex characters, magic, mystery, wild and vivid settings, and best of all a tight hero's journey narrative that will keep you dreaming and longing for your own fantastical adventure. Must read for Fantasy lovers.
Ian
The first of Raymond E. Feists books set in the world of Midkemia, and still probably the best.

Having read this some years ago, I plan to re-read this soon, something I rarely do unless I consider a book vary good.
Abbie
What drew me to this volume was the art work. I've read other graphic novels, and I'm really a fan of this art, even if the artist uses the same faces/poses incessantly throughout works. The story was good as well, and I'm really interested to either read more of these, or the actual novels.
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set  (Wheel of Time, #1-8)
  • The Sword of Truth Boxed Set II: Temple of the Winds; Soul of the Fire; Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #4-6)
  • Homeland: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #1)
  • The Farseer Trilogy (Farseer Trilogy #1-3)
  • The Elenium: The Diamond Throne / The Ruby Knight / The Sapphire Rose (The Elenium, #1-3)
  • In the Shadow of the Warlock Lord (The Sword of Shannara, #1)
  • The Lost Swords: The First Triad (Lost Swords, #1-3)
  • Waylander (The Drenai Saga, #3)
  • The Night Angel Trilogy (Night Angel, #1-3)
  • Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist Summary & Study Guide
  • Myth-ing Persons / Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #5-6)
  • To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 1)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more
More about Raymond E. Feist...

Raymond E. Feist's Magician: Apprentice (2 books)
  • Magician: Apprentice, Volume 2