Start by marking “Patrick Swayze: One Last Dance” as Want to Read:
Patrick Swayze: One Last Dance

Patrick Swayze: One Last Dance

A heartwarming, in-depth portrait of the beloved star whose sensational performances in Dirty Dancing and Ghost seduced a generation, and whose courage in the face of illness captivated millions

For almost thirty years, Patrick Swayze has been an American icon of masculinity and sex appeal, strong but sensitive, romantic yet dangerous.

In this intimate and revealing biog
Published March 30th 2010 by Gallery Books (first published May 12th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Patrick Swayze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patrick Swayze

Barb
Jul 29, 2009 Barb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay, but it only contained information that the author had gotten from previous print interviews and interviews with friends of Patrick Swayze, so there was nothing here that you couldn't find elsewhere. I didn't realize that the author didn't interview Patrick until I read the Afterword of the book. The writing was choppy and disjointed due to all of the quotes and stories she copied from. I did learn a few new things about the subject, but that was only because I hadn't read eve ...more
Chelle
May 28, 2009 Chelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I think most of my rating has to do with the subject matter rather than the actual writing. It carried an odd tone almost as if Patrick Swayze had already died, who at the time of publication (or writing this) he has not.

It is very informative about his training and his life however she tanks all her credibility with one key detail. Dirty Dancing is a well beloved movie, one that has been watched over and over and over. She sets the scene quite well, Johnny Castle enters Kellerman's and receive
Mromigh
Nov 07, 2009 Mromigh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointment. Read the epilogue of this first--I read it last and only then realized that the author NEVER interviewed him. So this is all based on hearsay and gossip. It started out good but then the author just went way too far with the metaphors. Otherwise, it was nice to learn the details about Patrick's career as a dancer and his strong love for his wife. What a great guy--he will be missed.
Kay
Jan 25, 2010 Kay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
There was something lacking from this book. The author followed his life and professional life, but seemed to miss most of the personal stuff. It read more like a magazine article that hinted around at what he was really like.
Chelsea Kilpack
This book had some of the worst writing I've ever seen: "The Voldemort of his soul against which he would be compelled to battle on almost a daily basis."

What?!

Better yet, this train wreck of a passage:

He's a Byonic hero, a working-class hearththrob, a new man, a dragon slayer, yet has enough of the little boy in him for every woman in the audience to want to mother him. He's a bad boy, but not so bad that he seems untamable.

His body glistens with sexuality in the dance scenes, yet he isn't a
Moriah Angeline
I found this title odd when I purchased the book, since it was before my beloved Patrick passed away, but I couldn't resist purchasing a biography about the man who was my first love. However, I couldn't give this book more than 2 stars because of Wendy Leigh's terrible writing. She makes more than one odd Harry Potter reference, as if she couldn't think of a more articulate way to make her point. I am a big fan of those books but what does that have to do with Patrick Swayze? Some of her facts ...more
July
Sep 06, 2014 July rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
I read this book while on vacation. It is choppy and not well written a little like my reviews. I did learn about the actor but I think that if there is another biography out there you probably would be better off. This book was on a sale table when I bought it or I probably would have. Biography wouldn't normally be something I would buy to read. But I should tell you that I adored Patrick Swayze in the few movies I have saw him in, and cried when I heard he had cancer and the type. Being in th ...more
Marsha
Oct 07, 2009 Marsha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a Patrick Swayze fan so I very much reading this bio which came out a few months before this actor died of pancreatic cancer. I am very sadden by his death. Patrick Swayze seemed like a good guy and in reading this book, it did not change my opinion of him at all. In fact, it inspired me to admire him even more, especially since it shows that he was driven to always try to do his best at whatever it was he got involved in, whether it be acting or dancing. He was a loyal husband and loyal to ...more
Sara
Loved "Time of My Life", so I thought I'd love this as well. I was wrong. I started reading and lost interest in the first couple pages. I skipped ahead thinking it'd get better, but it didn't. If you want a book about Patrick's life, read the book he wrote with his wife-"Time of My Life", and don't waste your time on this book.
Celia
Oct 22, 2009 Celia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very boring, repetitive and unimaginative. Considering what an interesting life Swayse had, I can't understand why it was so hard to to make the book of his life thrilling. Very disappointing. You could use this book as a source for looking up his less than popular movies, but then you can do that on the internet in a flash.
Mel
Oct 01, 2011 Mel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cancer
The book was ok- but nothing I would rave about or recommend. She never interviewed Swayze and the book is therefore a compilation of chronological info and dialog taken from other media or first-handers. Patrick Swayze is an awesome person, but watching Barbara Walters would be more insightful and resonating than reading this particular bio
Rebecca
Sep 18, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
This was released before Patrick died. I thought it was excellent. I didn't know his history of being trained by his Mom in ballet and dance. He injured his knee early on in his career and had to stop ballet but turned to movies instead.

All of his fans wanted to just seem him in romance movies but he was in all kinds of action movies and did all his own stunts.
Ariadna73
Feb 27, 2013 Ariadna73 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I tried to read the most interesting parts of this book because I am not a biography person. What I liked the most is the emphasizing in the good things that this author does. PS was a very good human being that didn't deserve to die so young; but things worked out that way for him and this book is a homage to the best of him.
Krista
Dec 26, 2012 Krista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I'm struggling with my feelings for this book. I read Patricks autobiography and I absolutely loved it however this wasn't as good as I expected there was conflicting information between the two. Overall I would have to say skip this book and read the autobiography.
kathi
Oct 25, 2009 kathi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author did a lot of research on this book. It focused heavily on Patrick's dance history. I didn't realize he began dance when he was a toddler because his mom is a cherographer (sp). It was an okay book but I was bored with it and just scim read it.
Hannah
Dec 26, 2010 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me cry and it was so interesting to read. Even though he was not from my time I still love all of the movies he has done and I was very sad when I found out he had passed away due to cancer. It makes me admire the talented people we have today:)
Diane
Apr 10, 2010 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of the romantic characters that Patrick Swayze has portrayed, I wanted to learn more about the man. I found that this book appears to be a factual representation of Mr. Swayze. I enjoyed learning about him, his strengths and weaknesses. I greatly admire his strengths.
Lupine
Jul 25, 2009 Lupine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, non-fiction
Love the Swayze and it was an entertaining read. Didn't love the writing (several weird comparisons to Harry Potter characters) but for a light fluffy read, it fit the bill. Makes me want to watch Point Break again.
Brandon Fryman
horribly written, it seems publisher wanted to print something up fast.
Marilyn
The writing wasn't great, but the story was very interesting!
Kathy
Dec 02, 2009 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a life if all that was in the book was true. It seemed a little over exaggerated though to me.
David
Sep 02, 2009 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice biography. If you're a Swayze fan most of this is probably known to you. If you were only a fan of his movies, this will give you a nice overview of his life offscreen.
Jill
Nov 12, 2010 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are going to read a biography about Patrick Swayze, read the one he wrote himself. This book basically reiterates the same stories in that book but in the words of someone that never met him.
Stephen R
Jun 13, 2011 Stephen R rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read .
Jitka Egressy
Jan 29, 2015 Jitka Egressy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart breaking book.

He was such an amazing man. Loving husband. Amazing dancer.

This book I can highly recommedn to everyone, who like him.
Dora
Jul 06, 2009 Dora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was just okay. Although I liked learning about Patrick, the author isn't that good of a writer.
Danielle
Jul 01, 2010 Danielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
bad writing style
Michelle Hammond
Sep 14, 2012 Michelle Hammond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice read. Good history.
Sean
Nov 02, 2014 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I love this book and how well it was written to tell about the star who could do almost anything.
Pam Walker
Sep 26, 2010 Pam Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book about an actor I loved in Dirty Dancing and Ghost. Will be interested to see how it compares with his autobiography that came out the same year.
  • The Time of My Life
  • Next to You: Caron's Courage Remembered by Her Mother
  • Michelle: A Biography
  • The Romancipation of Maggie Hunter
  • The Spiritual Path:  Buddha, Zen, Tao, Tantra
  • The Taming of a Wild Flower (Little Wild Flower #3)
  • How to Read Proverbs
  • The Wild Child: Secrets always find a way of revealing themselves. Sometimes you just need to know where to look: A True Short Story
  • Useful, Usable, Desirable: Applying User Experience Design to Your Library
  • Make-A-Mix
  • Kazan on Directing
  • Bead on a Wire: Making Handcrafted Wire and Beaded Jewelry
  • The Tender Flame (Mail Order Bride #3)
  • Change Your Heart, Change Your Life: How Changing What You Believe Will Give You the Great Life You've Always Wanted
Ghostwriter & celebrity biographer. She has also written books on love, sex & relationships

More about Wendy Leigh...