Asking For Trouble

Asking For Trouble

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The road to crime begins with a single decision—the wrong one. Not every decision belongs to the criminally minded. Some belong to the ill-informed, the weak and the plain unlucky. In these tales, trouble isn't an indiscriminate force of nature. It's a manmade occurrence that comes when called upon.

In Making Ends Meet, Richard is so tired of supporting his deadbeat in-law...more
Kindle Edition, 1st Electronic
Published April 14th 2010 (first published March 31st 2010)

Kathleen Hagen
Asking for Trouble, by Simon Wood, b-plus, Narrated by Luke Daniels and Amy McFadden, Produced by Brilliance Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

This is a group of short stories. I normally don’t read short stories, so if I had realized in advance that these were short stories I probably wouldn’t have read “Asking for Trouble” and I would have missed out on ten short but effective thrillers.
Publisher’s note:
Not every crime is committed with intent, but each has one thing in common: The guilty pa...more
Debbi Mack
All it takes is one bad decision to send a person down the wrong path. And, as the introduction to this anthology points out "[n:]ot every decision belongs to the criminally minded. Some belong to the ill-informed, the weak and the plain unlucky. In these tales, trouble isn't an indiscriminate force of nature. It's a manmade occurrence that comes when called upon."

As indicated, the people in Simon Wood's ASKING FOR TROUBLE aren't (for the most part) particularly evil. They're under some form of...more
Paul Penney
One of the best short story collections I have ever read! I enjoy short stories now and then, as a break from full-length novels, but I find many anthologies to be hit-and-miss, with some of the stories being kinda lame. Even those by my favorite authors rarely satisfy with every single story. This is a pleasing exception. Wood has put together 10 well-written, creative stories, with absolutely no filler. All 10 are brilliant. A few made me smile, and one even made me shout "Yes!" out loud. Luck...more
Kathy LeJeune
I grew up reading short stories by Alfred Hitchcock and I still read AH!!! Simon’s short stories are reminds me of AH. Scary, page turners and gets the hair standing up on the back of your neck. The first book I read by Simon was Working Stiffs and I was hooked. I have read all of his books and I recommend them if you like suspense and action.
My favorite way to describe him is Ken Bruen’s comment “Simon writes like a dark, demented Angel”. He is correct!!
Asking for Trouble will give you that pa...more
Joel
An excellent set of crime stories with great twist endings!
Richard
Richard is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
Carolyn Injoy
Carolyn Injoy marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Customer
Customer marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Mark Donaldson
Mark Donaldson marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Christy Parker
Christy Parker marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Robert I. Ross
Robert I. Ross marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Murry
Murry marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Worm-on-that-shelf
Worm-on-that-shelf is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2014
Goo
Goo marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
James W Magee Jr
James W Magee Jr marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Sharon
Sharon added it
Mar 08, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Simon Wood is a California transplant from England. He's an ex-competitive racecar driver, a licensed pilot and an occasional private investigator. He shares his world with his American wife, Julie. Their lives are dominated by a longhaired dachshund and five cats. In the last ten years, he's had over 150 stories and articles published. His stories have been included in “Best of” anthologies and h...more
More about Simon Wood...
Accidents Waiting to Happen Paying the Piper We All Fall Down Terminated The Fall Guy