Start by marking “The Greatest Player Who Never Lived: A Golf Story” as Want to Read:
The Greatest Player Who Never Lived: A Golf Story

The Greatest Player Who Never Lived: A Golf Story

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When Charley Hunter goes to work as a summer intern at a prestigious Atlanta law firm, he has no idea that his passion for golf will come into play on the job. Stumbling onto a yellowed file containing correspondence between Beau Stedman, an astonishingly talented teenage golfer, and the legendary Bobby Jones (once a partner at the firm), Hunter finds himself embroiled in ...more
Published February 10th 2010 by Broadway Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Greatest Player Who Never Lived, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greatest Player Who Never Lived

Adam Crawford
A must have for golf fans all over. This book thrives on the lore surrounding the game (of which there is a vast amount) and a legend that helped create a great deal of it. "The Greatest Player Who Never Lived: A Golf Story" is a detailed account that at many points makes the reader do a double take to be reminded that it is in fact fiction. Blending the truth with the fiction kept me reading for three solid hours. Though the book does at times feel a bit dense, Veron is a writer with a backgrou ...more
Josh Sokoloff
Just to let you know, this is one of the best golf books I have read. I had a to find a book for an english project and I am glad I chose this. Even if you don't like golf, it has a great story line to it.

In this book Charley Hunter goes to a summer internship at Butler and Yates. His first task when he gets there is to organize files of Bobby Jones (For all of you who don't know who Bobby Jones is...well he is the greatest golfer). While going through his files he finds out that a 16 year old
Russ Jarvis
Aug 20, 2013 Russ Jarvis rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves golf and a good courtroom mystery
I love watching and playing golf and have published an introduction to the game. This novel doesn't read like fiction. It was a good companion read to "The Grand Slam: Bobby Jones, America, and the Story of Golf." He covers a lot of golfing history but the story manages to stay about the main character and has a good sense of closure. You empathize with him and cheer for the protagonist who makes the good ending possible. It's a story that I wish could be true for all of us, whether or not we ch ...more
Lexi
A wonderful premise, so well done that it felt like it could have been true. Golfers and fans of golf history will love this, though non-golfers will probably be put off by the amount of detail about the game. I could have lived without some of the legal posturing, but the excellent golf history more than made up for it. Highly recommend.
Jomie
I had greater expectations given the 'John Grisham meets golf' touting, but I didn't think the storyline was all that great. And all the historical golf facts and tidbits were too much for me. I can see how golf aficionados would love it though.
Michael Anderson
Great golfing novel, a mystery found in the private files of Bobby Jones and revealed very vividly over the course of the story. I know golf quite well and loved this; maybe I would have even if I were ignorant about the game's history.
Matthew
Absolutely loved it. I really don't know how much I would have liked it if I wasn't been a golfer, or didn't known of all the famous golfers who are part of this story. But I enjoyed it as much as any book I've ever read.
Ryan
This was a really fun, quick read, and it sparked my interest in other golf literature. Veron does a nice job of mixing fact and fiction - the story is very believable and entertaining.
Andrew
A decent golf mystery but some of the rounds he plays are unrealistic. I mean a 69 at Augusta Ntl on like your 1st round in a year?
Helen Southall
Interesting, fun read especially after watching the Master's this year. Not great literature but enjoyable
David Carraturo
I loved this story and the way the writer told it. All golf fans should read this.
Randy
If you play golf You must read this book. You will not regret it
Rob Williamson
Fun book, great story, I wish it was true.
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
atlanticpuffin
atlanticpuffin marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Becki Murphy
Becki Murphy is currently reading it
Nov 30, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Zac
Zac marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Susan Shay
Susan Shay marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Greatest Course That Never Was The Caddie Shell Game: One Family's Long Battle Against Big Oil The Connecting Game No Cure for the Dumbass