Start by marking “The Greatest Player Who Never Lived: A Golf Story” as Want to Read:
The Greatest Player Who Never Lived: A Golf Story

The Greatest Player Who Never Lived: A Golf Story

When Charley Hunter goes to work as a summer intern at a prestigious Atlanta law firm, he has no idea that his passion for golf will come into play on the job. Stumbling onto a yellowed file containing correspondence between Beau Stedman, an astonishingly talented teenage golfer, and the legendary Bobby Jones (once a partner at the firm), Hunter finds himself embroiled in ...more
Published February 10th 2010 by Broadway Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Greatest Player Who Never Lived, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greatest Player Who Never Lived

Josh Sokoloff
Oct 10, 2012 Josh Sokoloff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just to let you know, this is one of the best golf books I have read. I had a to find a book for an english project and I am glad I chose this. Even if you don't like golf, it has a great story line to it.

In this book Charley Hunter goes to a summer internship at Butler and Yates. His first task when he gets there is to organize files of Bobby Jones (For all of you who don't know who Bobby Jones is...well he is the greatest golfer). While going through his files he finds out that a 16 year old
Adam Crawford
Feb 11, 2014 Adam Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must have for golf fans all over. This book thrives on the lore surrounding the game (of which there is a vast amount) and a legend that helped create a great deal of it. "The Greatest Player Who Never Lived: A Golf Story" is a detailed account that at many points makes the reader do a double take to be reminded that it is in fact fiction. Blending the truth with the fiction kept me reading for three solid hours. Though the book does at times feel a bit dense, Veron is a writer with a backgrou ...more
Russ Jarvis
Aug 20, 2013 Russ Jarvis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves golf and a good courtroom mystery
I love watching and playing golf and have published an introduction to the game. This novel doesn't read like fiction. It was a good companion read to "The Grand Slam: Bobby Jones, America, and the Story of Golf." He covers a lot of golfing history but the story manages to stay about the main character and has a good sense of closure. You empathize with him and cheer for the protagonist who makes the good ending possible. It's a story that I wish could be true for all of us, whether or not we ch ...more
Lexi
Aug 06, 2009 Lexi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, fiction
A wonderful premise, so well done that it felt like it could have been true. Golfers and fans of golf history will love this, though non-golfers will probably be put off by the amount of detail about the game. I could have lived without some of the legal posturing, but the excellent golf history more than made up for it. Highly recommend.
Jomie
Jul 12, 2008 Jomie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had greater expectations given the 'John Grisham meets golf' touting, but I didn't think the storyline was all that great. And all the historical golf facts and tidbits were too much for me. I can see how golf aficionados would love it though.
Matthew
Jan 03, 2010 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it. I really don't know how much I would have liked it if I wasn't been a golfer, or didn't known of all the famous golfers who are part of this story. But I enjoyed it as much as any book I've ever read.
Bill
May 14, 2016 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice story. I'm usually turned off by stories that incorporate real people, but give them a different personality. I've read a little about Bobby Jones and think it is unlikely he is much like the character depicted in this book. Despite that flaw, I enjoyed the story.
Michael Anderson
Great golfing novel, a mystery found in the private files of Bobby Jones and revealed very vividly over the course of the story. I know golf quite well and loved this; maybe I would have even if I were ignorant about the game's history.
Randy
Apr 17, 2007 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you play golf You must read this book. You will not regret it
Helen Southall
Interesting, fun read especially after watching the Master's this year. Not great literature but enjoyable
Andrew
Apr 26, 2010 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent golf mystery but some of the rounds he plays are unrealistic. I mean a 69 at Augusta Ntl on like your 1st round in a year?
Ryan
Jun 30, 2008 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: golf
This was a really fun, quick read, and it sparked my interest in other golf literature. Veron does a nice job of mixing fact and fiction - the story is very believable and entertaining.
Bruce Martin
Apr 14, 2013 Bruce Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great golf book
Kurt Hesse
Kurt Hesse rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Chilly
Chilly rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Michael Groves
Michael Groves rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Stephen Powell
Stephen Powell rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2014
Joanie St.romain
Joanie St.romain rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2012
Doogiedawgs
Doogiedawgs rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Matt Ross
Matt Ross rated it it was ok
May 10, 2013
Johnny
Johnny rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
Erik
Erik rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2007
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2012
Ross
Ross rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2009
Brady
Brady rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2013
Casey Ryan
Casey Ryan rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Michael Archinal
Michael Archinal rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2017
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2008
Bill Wrabley
Bill Wrabley rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Green
  • American Triumvirate: Sam Snead, Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan, and the Modern Age of Golf
  • The Greatest Game Ever Played
  • Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son
  • Open: Inside the Ropes at Bethpage Black
  • The Mysterious Montague: A True Tale of Hollywood, Golf, and Armed Robbery
  • The Masters: Golf, Money, and Power in Augusta, Georgia
  • Who's Your Caddy?: Looping for the Great, Near Great, and Reprobates of Golf
  • Ty and The Babe: Baseball's Fiercest Rivals: A Surprising Friendship and the 1941 Has-Beens Golf Championship
  • Golf My Way
  • Dead Solid Perfect
  • The Swinger
  • Harvey Penick's Little Red Book: Lessons and Teachings From a Lifetime of Golf
  • A Course Called Ireland: A Long Walk in Search of a Country, a Pint, and the Next Tee