Start by marking “Making Your Case: The Art of Persuading Judges” as Want to Read:
Making Your Case: The Art of Persuading Judges

Making Your Case: The Art of Persuading Judges

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  454 ratings  ·  44 reviews
West is honored to offer a luxuriously packaged, numbered, premium bonded leather, limited edition of Making Your Case: The Art of Persuading Judges. Limited to 2010 numbered copies, this Collector's Edition is bound in high quality bonded leather with accompanying hardbound slipcase. Making Your Case is a guide for novice and experienced litigators alike. It covers the es ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by West Group Publishing (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Making Your Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Your Case

Sam
Garner and Scalia provide an easily-digestible and very readable compendium of tips and insights on, first and foremost, endearing one's self to a court. This is not a book about legal philosophy, but rather how to be an advocate that is useful to the judge(s) before whom you may appear, and in doing so, how to cultivate a reputation of professionalism and competence that will make you a more effective advocate in the long-term.

Although much of the advice is common sense (i.e. arrive at court on
Sean Rosenthal
Interesting Quotes:

"Your objective in every argument, therefore, is to show yourself worthy of trust and affection. Trust is lost by dissembling or conveying false information—not just intentionally but even carelessly; by mischaracterizing precedent to suit your case; by making arguments that could appeal only to the stupid or uninformed; by ignoring rather than confronting whatever weighs against your case. Trust is won by fairly presenting the facts of the case and honestly characterizing the
penny
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, however, I am employed by a law firm. Among my many tasks, I am their librarian, a role I begged to hold despite not having all the official alphabet soup most legal librarians possess. The following review is mine and my thoughts and opinions alone (as they all are).

Late last year I saw announcements of this title in various publications. While reviewing my 2009 budget and various reviews to see the benefit of this book to our shelves an associate requested it
Dawn
This book came out right before my first state supreme court argument. As much as I dislike Scalia's politics and Garner's self-importance, it's a great little reference book. It's a quick read and actually fairly entertaining.
Mazola1
Legal writing expert Bryan Garner and Justice Antonin Scalia combined forces to produce this book about the art of legal argumentation, both written and oral. While it will probably be of interest mostly to lawyers, it still has a lot of useful material for anyone who makes a living by either spoken or written persuasion. It is clearly written and offers numerous practical tips on how to best make your case. The non-lawyer readers can just skip over the stuff that is obviously intended specifica ...more
Billie Pritchett
Antonin Scalia and Bryan Garner wrote a great book here, and I don't know how it could be improved upon. Making Your Case: The Art of Persuading Judges gives any lawyer helpful advice on how to be a more persuasive lawyer. The book would be indispensable for any lawyer in training or lawyer who would like to brush up on some court room preparation, procedure, argumentation, etc. The book is quite literally exhaustive.
Kimberly
I enjoyed reading this book because it highlighted some important aspects of writing and arguing as a lawyer. It gave practical advice about how to write a great brief and argue before a judge. I found the details about grammar and vocabulary to be incredibily helpful because some lawyers prefer for young lawyers to write one way yet law school and this book teaches you another way. For example, Justice Scalia states that you should make a complex subject simple by using clear short sentences. H ...more
Danelley
Definitely a must-read for anyone in law school or graduated. Helps you learn how to "hone-in" on your audience, usually a judge for your legal briefs and presentations. Helps you to prepare a concise and well-researched legal case. I'm reading it because it looked interesting. (I've been reading a few of Adam's law books here and there -- the one on Tort law was also interesting.)

Scalia is just a brilliant man with a biting wit. I've read a few of his supreme court case decisions and he calls
Snarky's
For me this book is the new "Stephen King on Writing". While it is not a writing guide or a style manual, watching a master wordsmith bring his A game to the court day after day is mad instructional. Again, let me stress that I think his political leanings are nightmarish, but god, I really am in hearts with his writing. I love his clean, cheeky, dynamic style and nuanced consideration that goes into writing at this well. I love reading his decisions; always have, so this book was a real treat f ...more
Relena_reads
I will admit that I didn't read the section of the book about writing briefs. I'm not a lawyer and that portion just didn't apply to what my kids are doing in the class where I'm using this.

The overall lessons of the book (how to structure your thinking, how judges make decisions, etc.) were applicable to anyone who engages in any form of persuasion and the book is engagingly written. No one is more surprised that I'm recommending Antonin Scalia than me.
Cheryl
Antonin Scalia isn't one of my favorites as Supreme Court justices go, "originalist" that he is. However, as I'm reading this book, I'm coming to see how much goes into the development of case law, and what is expected when one presents a case before appellate courts. It offers insights into the thinking and processes of adjudication, and how one can present compelling arguments, not only before the bench, but in almost any situation.
Ashley
Another forced class read but enjoyed nonetheless.

This book about the art of legal argumentation, both written and oral. Is clearly written & offers numerous practical tips on how to make the best argument you can in both writing and spoken.

It's beneficial for future lawyers, lawyers and anyone else that makes a living through spoken or written persuasion (if they skip over the technical law things they don't need).
great for me, but non-attys won't find much here. i keep it at the office, i think the oral argument section will be helpful to review in preparation for them.

Read all the way thru now and picked up for parts of it since. If you are an appellate attorney, read it....otherwise, read about Scalia, more entertaining!
Matt
Add a star if you're a law student or lawyer, subtract one if you're not. A pretty solid advice manual about law things -- worth it primarily for Justice Scalia's rant against contractions in legal briefs (I disagree with him, in this point as in many others, but he is certainly an expert in making his point forcefully!).
Dave
The best concise book I've read on what arguments, techniques, and briefing formats are most persuasive to judges. Anyone more interested in a more complete treatment of good briefing practices should also read Garner's "The Winning Brief." I've already assigned them both to our interns this summer to read.
Josh Tatum
If you're a lawyer who makes arguments of any kind, this book is essential. If you're a lawyer who writes, this book will make you a better lawyer. If you like to argue and the law interests you, this book is a great read from a curmudgeonly justice and the top linguistic and legal writing authority.
Sandy
I've written a LOT of briefs, but I still found some useful tips in this book. It was written in an entertaining style as well, and I always think it's useful and interesting to hear from judges about what they want to see in a brief.

I've recommended this to other attorneys I work with.
Jfro
whether or not you agree with all the tips in this book its pretty much manditory that you pay attention. garner may be the best legal writer alive and scalia is well a supreme court justice. next time I argue anything ill give this book another glance. definitely worth the time
Kit
Good advice. Some is obvious, some insn't. But all of it is stuff that legal people should be reminded of now and again. And by legal people I mean people who make the law their career, not as in opposed to illegal people because that is a whole separate topic.
Linda
I was surprised at the format of this book. It's organized as a reference book rather than a narrative. Extremely helpful for all stages of the process, from writing a brief to the oral argument. I wish I'd had it during my first year of law school.
Chris
Jun 09, 2008 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: law students, lawyers, writers in general
Shelves: legal
I read this book three times in a two week period...research for work. It is really well done, obviously not for everyone. Very simple and concise, but it leaves you with an enormous bibliography if you want to delve deeper.
Ben
Not happy. Certainly that is because I have (1) read all of Garner's books and (2) read many of Scalia's opinions. Because of that, this was mostly repetitive and, sadly, watered-down to reach a larger audience.
Bruce Samuelsen
Overall a very good book. Focus is clearly on the details of building court documents, but the overall points and recommendations about how to write are applicable to many professional aspects.
Peter
Superb guidance for both experience appellate lawyers, as well as new lawyers who aspire to be appellate lawyers. Short, concise, and, at times, witty. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Kimberly
Justice Scalia is the most conservative Supreme Court Justice in recent history, and if this book teaches me how to persuade someone like him, it's worth the read!
Christie
The authors kind of come across as arrogant and the advice doesn't seem super insightful, but there are a few good tidbits in there for lawyers-to-be.
Ben Hauser
Insightful, although I wish there were a few closer to full length examples for briefs. Nevertheless, it's a quick read and good for reference.
Brent
A Supreme Court justice and the authority on legal writing instruct lawyers about how to think, write, and speak to present a case in the best light.
Mark
Dec 15, 2009 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lawyers
Recommended to Mark by: Trial Magazine
Many truisms, but some very good insights into the structure of written appeals. It was worth reading, even though it was Justice Scalia.
Mike
If you argue cases before courts, find out what they're thinking and what will help them. Justice Scalia tells you what he's thinking.
  • Legal Writing in Plain English: A Text with Exercises
  • A History of American Law
  • Plain English for Lawyers
  • Point Made: How to Write Like the Nation's Top Advocates
  • The Common Law
  • The Legal Analyst: A Toolkit for Thinking about the Law
  • Supreme Conflict: The Inside Story of the Struggle for Control of the United States Supreme Court
  • Typography for Lawyers
  • Gideon's Trumpet
  • Civil Procedure: Examples & Explanations
  • The Supreme Court
  • The Majesty of the Law: Reflections of a Supreme Court Justice
  • Simple Justice: The History of Brown v. Board of Education and Black America's Struggle for Equality
Antonin Gregory Scalia is an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. He was appointed in 1986 by President Ronald Reagan having previously served on the D.C. Circuit and in the Nixon and Ford administrations, and teaching law at the Universities of Virginia and Chicago. He is considered to be a core member of the conservative wing of the court, vigorously advancing textualism ...more
More about Antonin Scalia...
A Matter of Interpretation: Federal Courts and the Law Scalia Dissents: Writings of the Supreme Court's Wittiest, Most Outspoken Justice Reading Law: The Interpretation of Legal Texts Scalia and Garner's Reading Law: The Interpretation of Legal Texts On Constitutional Interpretation