Start by marking “Imaginary Friends” as Want to Read:
Imaginary Friends

Imaginary Friends

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Although Lillian Hellman and Mary McCarthy probably only met once in their lives, their names will be linked forever in the history of American literary feuds: they were legendary enemies, especially after McCarthy famously announced to the world that every word Hellman wrote was a lie, “including ‘and’ and ‘the.’” The public battle, and the legal squabbling, that ensued e ...more
Published November 25th 2009 by Vintage (first published March 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Imaginary Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imaginary Friends

Danella Shea
A play by Nora Ephron about the feud between Mary McCarthy and Lillian Hellman. This is the first time I've read a play since college, when I would sit in my theater classes doing table reads. This was read alone, with me playing each part in my mind as best I could. I much prefer table reads for plays or actually viewing the finished product, but I still enjoyed Imaginary Friends. Ephron took an interesting approach to the feud between these two brilliant, yet silly women.

"Could we have ever b
Cat
I was so tickled that one of my favorite contemporary wits wrote a play about one of the witty women I am writing about in my own book, Mary McCarthy. A lot of the banter here between Lillian and Mary is sharp and fun as Ephron imagines exchanges between two women who distinguished themselves as the exceptional women in circles of politically committed men in the 1930s and who became bitter enemies. Ephron thinks about how exceptionalism contributes to enmity (can't be the only woman at the prof ...more
Tracy Collier
I haven't read a play in quite a while, Shakespeare maybe...? Regardless, I am glad that I didn't know this was a play when I picked it up.

Unlike many plays, this included blocking, timing, and lyrics. It was about two women I had never heard of but were apparently very famous in literary circles. Read it, you will like it!
Annie Garvey
Because this is a play, it should be seen and not read. They're is also a musical component that doesn't translate onto the written page. I wish I had seen the original cast members: Swoosie Kurtz (Hellman) and Cherry Jones (McCarthy). I better their performances were great.
Shannon
I like the idea behind this play and the way it's written... but I could not figure out if it was a comedy or a drama which made it difficult to read. Was I supposed to be laughing or crying? I didn't know.
Carol Ann
Funny and quirky. Nice little play. The timeline at the end of the play is wonderful. I may have to read something by Daschiel Hammett.
Alexa
Reading this made me realize I need to read more plays. Fascinating look into a complicated relationship.
Jeff
Ephron dips her toe into Tom Stoppard territory as she explores the contentious relationship between two now-somewhat-forgotten literary lionesses. There is lots of clever fun here, but I do feel the audience for this would be somewhat limited.
Priscilla Nemeth
Great fun and staging is so creative-- it would be wonderful to see.
Lix Hewett
This was good, I thought. I don't have much to say about it — I didn't even know the people the play is about existed before I read about them in a different Nora Ephron book. I like the play, though, it's got a good approach and a good head on its shoulders. I just didn't feel much about it.
Deb W
Two act play performing the two dead (obscure) author's looking back on their seemingly parallel lives, and examining events that may (or may not) have contributed to their mutual contempt. It was hardly worth the effort of reading, let alone reviewing it. Ho hum.
Kristina
Jul 18, 2007 Kristina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Actors
I frippin' love this play. LOVE IT! Pitching it Saturday too...
Bridget Morse
Just couldn't get into it
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Denise-lynne Facenbaker
Denise-lynne Facenbaker marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Joan G. Nagle
Joan G. Nagle is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2015
Sara Hadley
Sara Hadley marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Collette Williams
Collette Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Fsanjose
Fsanjose marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Michelle Johnson
Michelle Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Jannae
Jannae marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Bridget Gottlieb
Bridget Gottlieb marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
  • Master Class
  • Passion Play (TCG Edition)
  • Uncommon Women and Others
  • A Chorus Line: The Complete Book of the Musical
  • By the Bog of Cats - Acting Edition
  • 1776
  • And They All Sang: Adventures of an Eclectic Disc Jockey
  • The Hungry Woman: The Hungry Woman: A Mexican Medea & Heart of the Earth: A Popul Vuh Story
  • The Secret Confessions of Anne Shakespeare
  • The Sandbox & The Death of Bessie Smith
  • The Clumsiest People in Europe: Or, Mrs. Mortimer's Bad-Tempered Guide to the Victorian World
  • Peter and the Starcatcher: The Annotated Script of the Broadway Play
Nora Ephron was an American film director, producer, screenwriter, novelist, and blogger.

She was best known for her romantic comedies and is a triple nominee for the Academy Award for Writing Original Screenplay; for Silkwood, When Harry Met Sally... and Sleepless in Seattle. She sometimes wrote with her sister, Delia Ephron.
More about Nora Ephron...
I Feel Bad about My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections Heartburn When Harry Met Sally Crazy Salad: Some Things About Women (Modern Library Humor and Wit)