Start by marking “Nightjohn” as Want to Read:
Nightjohn

Nightjohn (Sarny #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  3,033 ratings  ·  435 reviews
Twelve-year-old Sarny's brutal life as a slave becomes even more dangerous when a newly arrived slave offers to teach her how to read.
Published January 1st 1995 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1993)

Mr. Z
For such a short book, this story packs a powerful punch! Yes, in today's world, there is still racism and rampant unfairness as it relates to the color of one's skin. Many kids already know this based on their personal experiences and observations. While today's world still needs some fixing, this story will shock students into the even-uglier realities kids and adults of color faced during a time in which slavery was perfectly legal. This story tells one girl's nightmare of living on a slavery ...more
Snapshot: Nightjohn is a story about a slave named John and a twelve year old girl named Sarny. Nightjohn is an unusual slave for he knows how to read and he knows that they are bound by the words the white masters write on paper. One day John arrives to a new plantation and his new master tries to subdue him with no avail. Sarny observes this beautiful black man and immediately realizes that he is different. For a bit of tabacco John teaches Sarny how to read.

Hook: Nightjohn will interest stud
Arielle Banks
Genre: realistic fiction
Tags: history, slavery, african-american, troubled times,etc.

My review: I have read this book many times before and it has never gotten boring or old to me. Even though I enjoy it very much, I will give it 4.5 out 5 stars in ratings. I say this because it is a very powerful book and it explicitly tells me what my ancestors and others went through during slavery. I found it emotional and moving at certain periods. I think me watching the movie also influences my judgement
VJ
I'm reading my bookshelves in preparation of the purge. Thought I'd begin with something small and picked up Nightjohn.

It has been my regular reading experience to find the best reading in smaller texts. Ayn Rand was at her best in Anthem. Both Animal Farm and 1984 are brief, yet pack a punch.

Sarny lives in slavery and is, therefore, forbidden the knowledge of reading and writing. Nightjohn possesses this taboo knowledge, and insists that others in servitude should possess it as well, even thou
Joy H.
Mar 23, 2011 Joy H. marked it as watched-film-only  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: slavery
_Nightjohn_ by Gary Paulsen (1993)

Below is a copy of my post about this book at my group:
--------------------------------------------
Sometimes I see a movie and learn later that it was adapted from a book. For example, last night I streamed the movie, "Nightjohn" (1996), from Netflix and now I see that is was adapted from Gary Paulsen's young adult book, Nightjohn.

At the book's Amazon page, Publishers Weekly says:
======================================================
"Among the most powerful of P
Elizabeth Sciarra
I read this book when I was in middle school and did not really understand it until I just finished it as a college sophomore. At first the wording was a little tricky to understand, but as I got more in depth into the book and started picking up on how Gary Paulsen was trying to write it, it all began to click.

It only took me 45 minutes to read, but I enjoyed every second of it. When I first began reading the book I though the main character was a little boy, but as I continued, I found out it
The slavery population in our American history suffered tremendous abuse. The story NightJohn written by Gary Paulsen was based on a true story and actually happened during a dark and horrifying time in our American culture. Although Paulsen was vague on dates and details, he did a good job of letting us know that the story’s backdrop setting was far too common in the south during the time of slavery. The book was an easy read but compact with a lot of information and facts on how slaves were tr ...more
Liley Tafelsky
Night john was a very good and inspiring book. It tells you how bad slaves had it back then and what they had to live through. I think it was interesting that a lot of the regular things we would do and learn as a kid were illegal for them to learn as a slave.
Ccooke2
I would place this book in the historical/nonfiction genre. The inside flap says that while specific names and places are changed the events are true.
This is a touching story about a freed slave who willingly goes into slave territory to teach reading and writing. His name is John and he comes at night. Paulsen does not shy away from the horrors of slavery. It is real and sad, but also hopeful and inspirational. The narrator is a young girl named Sarney and she is the first on her plantation to
Alaeddine
December 19th, 2014

“ I’m just quit and they be thinking because I don’t make noise and go to twittering all the time that I be dumb. But I am not. I just be so quite and listen all the time that I learn things.” (Paulsen15)

This amazing book “Nightjohn” is a novel that was written by Gary Paulsen. This amazing story takes place in the Southern part of America during the time of slavery. The main character is Sarny who is a twelve years old African American slave. Sarny was born all backwards and
Megan S
Nightjohn is a memorable story that takes place at the whitehouse. A young girl named Sarny was displaced with her mother right after 4 years with her and was taken to be a slave. Every day she sees new people come in in either a good or a bad way, and one day Nightjohn comes in a bad way. He comes with a rope tied around his neck and gets whipped on by Clel Waller, the head person of the white house. One night Nightjohn comes to Sarny and starts talking to her and said that if she gives him one ...more
Breanna
I thought the novel was amazing for many reasons.I thought it was amazing because it represents many values.Some of the values are bold,risk-taking and loyalty.

I thought it was bold because in the novel,Sarny (a young slave) has been a slave since she was born.She never learned how to read or write,been abused and worked for days.This is representing bold because although she was treated terribly,she is still standing up and trying so hard to get away form the plantation after what they did to
David Sanchez-garcia
NIGHTJOHN
I like this book. It’s interesting. I was amazed at where Nightjohn did just to be with the slaves. I think this book is sad too.
When he was teaching Sarny.
When he defends mammy.
And he made his shoes.
This book interesting Sarny learns to be literate. I also liked when there was a slave running but they caught him when Nightjohn defends mammy and Sarny. I felt depressed.
This book is interesting. It showed me how slaves used to live. The characters were very clever. They were brave.

It s
Raneem
I think the book Nightjohn is great.It have a lot of actions and sad moments.you can learn a lot of stuff important from the book.The book tells you how you should treat people.

It have a lot of actions and sad moments. When Nightjohn escapes it was a really big action because it's really hard for a slave to escape to the north.and when they whipped mammy in the spring wall.it was very painful and sad because she is an old women.A man can take it but a women can not.

you can learn many important s
Khai
Yes I do like this book. It teaches about how it feels to work as a slave. The book shows how it feels when slaves are in danger. It tells how slaves get treated when disobeying.

Night John teaches how it feels by describing how they get treated. Slaves are treated bad they got whipped like Night John had been whipped. The book also said that girls get raped when they are ready to have babies.

The book teaches how it feels to work as a slave. When you work as a slave you work for hours and hours
Michael
This is an extremely short book (92 pages of size 16 font), but man is it intense! I'm not sure what grade level this book is appropriate for: maybe 8th or 9th, but definitely not for kids. There is a lot of violence, and a lot of references to slave women (if you count a 12 year old as a woman) being 'bred' by their owners. While the sexuality is not graphic, the implications are horrendous.

This book is about the power of education. Told in the voice of an adolescent slave girl named Sary, Nig
Jaziel
I dislike the book.I do not want to learn what happen to the slave with injuries.Negro People should not be slaves just for work.They should read and write ,not for the law,so they could learn new things.

I do not want to learn what happen to the slaves with injuries.If the slave's were caught doing whatever they did they will get whipped.The slaves could get one finger or toe cut off.Slaves couldn't read or write or they will get a lot of damage's all over there bodies.

Negro people should not be
Alyssa
I don't know if I could say I liked this book, simply because I know the author didn't want you to enjoy reading it. It was a painful book, but an eye-opening one.
It is very short. My English class read it together as part of our civil rights unit. It's the story of a young slave girl who is being taught to read by another slave, even though they could be cruelly punished for what they are doing. The story was one about bravery and the power of words. It was sad, but good.
Laura Carranza
I will write about how i like NightJohn. Nightjohn helped me understand how it was to be a slave.I found out it is to do what ever you want to do. My last reason is that it was interesting to know hear how people lived back then.

NightJohn helped me understand how it was to be a slave. they suffered back then. Slaves had to work a lot. They had work.Some people did not have money and did not get payed.

I found out how hard it is to do what evr you wnat to do.People back then did not go to school.
Jose
What I think about NightJohn is that it was interesting.

The first thing I like was when sarny learn the words.Then I liked when NightJohn got his toes cut off .The last thing I likee was when he help the slaves learn words.

My favorite part was when sarny learn the words.It made me feel happy when sarny knew the words.It they ever escape they would know how to read signs.

My other favorite part was when NightJohn got his toes cut off.It made me feel sad because the only thing NightJohn was trying
Amy
REQUIRED CATEGORY: GARY PAULSEN
Nightjohn is a slavery story. It tells the story of Sarny, a young girl who lives and works on a white-owned plantation in the South. One day, Nightjohn is brought in by the slave masters and he starts to teach Sarny how to read (even though the masters strictly forbid it). Sarny's knowing how to read causes some major problems, but Nightjohn continues to teach her because he thinks that slaves need to know how to read. I really enjoyed this book. I've always enjoy
Claire Tenbrock
NIghtjohn is set during the civil war era. It is told by a African American slave named Sarny. Sarny first sees Nightjohn when he is brought into the plantation bound in chains and covered in scars. She learns that he had escaped to the North and was free but choose to come back to teach other slaves how to read. John teaches Sarny the first ten letters of the alphabet until she is caught writing them in the sand. John is punished by having two of his toes cut off. after a few days John has reco ...more
Josephine
Nightjohn, by Gary Pulsen is a classic novel about a twelve year old slave girl called Sarny, and her life serving in one of the many plantations. While Sarny is working one day, she sees a tall slave with whip marks on his back entering the camp... Later when Sarny is back at "home", the same tall slave enters and asks for tobbacco in trade for letters. Sarny complies, and continues to learn more and more letters, and eventually, learns to read. She finds out that the man's name is Nightjohn, a ...more
Jen
Nightjohn by Gary Paulsen portrays an inspirational story of Sarny, an enslaved girl, and a gentleman called Nightjohn. Throughout this book, the reader witnesses an example of genuine dedication. Nightjohn had a commitment to educating slaves by teaching them to read and write. Nightjohn was not my favorite book, but it allowed me to reflect on how slaves were treated in the past. Some of the things the slave masters did was horrid and it shows in this book. What I take away from reading this b ...more
Jacob
Slavery was a horrible thing. Nightjohn is the story of a little girl named Sarny who lives on a plantation, and meets a man named Nightjohn. He is trying to teach kids how to read and write, which was forbidden for slaves to do. They plantation owner would do terrible things to people who knew how to read and write. But, Sarny really wants to learn how to read and write. Read the book to find out what happens!

This book is a little tough to read. The terrible punishments the plantation owner w
Cate M.
Nightjohn by Gary Paulsen was a very quick and easy read, yet still has a great story. Sarny, a slave at the Waller plantation was doing her work when Old Waller brought Nightjohn (a male slave) to the plantation. He was already beat up and scarred, yet Waller forced him to run for hours, while tied to the horse by his neck. This made Sarny curious, so she started to talk to Nightjohn when they were both done with their work. Nightjohn wanted to trade his knowledge of reading and letters with Sa ...more
Flor
I dislike this book. It doesn't make sense to me. It is boring to read. It doesn't explain things the way is supposed to.

I dislike this book because it doesn't make sense. It's confusing to me. It has words I didn't understand. I didn't understand when Sarny was learning how to write.

I dislike this book because is boring. It doesn't have a lot of action. For examples slaves got whipped it wasn't that much action.

I dislike this book because it doesn't explain the way is supposed to. I didn't
Sydney Campbell
We read this book in class-LOVED IT!!!!!!!!! I love the story and the idea. It tells a wonderful perspective from the main character's point of view. If you are looking for a historical-fiction kind of book, I would recommend this!!! :-)
Vienvan
This essay I will talking about Nightjohn book.In my opinion I think that I like to read Nightjohn book. From this book, I could know a lot about the slaves. I can seen real life of people living in 1800's. I feel sympathy with the people living over there.
In first my opinion,I could know a lot about the slaves. From the South.Te slaver buy slaves to work for them.Normally,they work at the farm of their slaver.They still work very hard.they are restless. Everyday,they master whip on their body
Leslie Martinez
I liked Night john because it goes in deep details. Another reason I like it is because it gives true information. Last reason is because the book gives the true condition of the slaves back then.

The characters never gave up. NightJohn was teaching Sarney how to read and write and then he got caught. Mr.Waller cut off his toe but he still taught Sarney more letters. He did not stop even though Waller hurt him.

They would say were lucky slaver was abolished. They would be sad because their own ki
Nightjohn 2 5 Jan 18, 2013 06:29AM
  • Wolf by the Ears
  • Code Talker: A Novel About the Navajo Marines of World War Two
  • To Be a Slave
  • Bull Run
  • Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and The Endurance
  • Feathers
  • Hiroshima
  • Toning The Sweep
  • Forty Acres and Maybe a Mule
  • Something Upstairs
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve
More about Gary Paulsen...
Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1) Brian's Winter (Brian's Saga, #3) The River (Brian's Saga, #2) Brian's Return (Brian's Saga, #4) Brian's Hunt (Brian's Saga, #5)

“To know things, for us to know things, is bad for them. We get to wanting and when we get to wanting it's bad for them. They thinks we want what they got . . . . That's why they don't want us reading.” 2 likes