Start by marking “Giving It All Away: The Doris Buffett Story” as Want to Read:
Giving It All Away: The Doris Buffett Story

Giving It All Away: The Doris Buffett Story

3.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  37 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
When she was a toddler in Omaha, her parents called her Mary Sunshine.

Warren Buffett's big sister Doris has never lost that quality, despite personal problems that would have soured others on the world. The "retail" philanthropist known as the Sunshine Lady derives such joy from helping others on a one on one basis that emotional abuse by a mother who may have been bipolar
Published June 9th 2010 by Permanent Press (NY) (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Giving It All Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giving It All Away

Jun 21, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
One of my pet peeves is people with lots of money who don't use it for good beyond ensuring the easy life for their heirs. How reaffirming to hear about the possibility that being rich doesn't mean that you have to hoard it all to stay that way. Doris Buffett is a "first generation" super-rich person - her family was not Vanderbilt wealthy when she was a child, she knows the ups-and-downs of bad marriages, financial ruin and family drama. With the good advice and assistance of her brother Warren ...more
Jennifer Pratt
May 04, 2014 Jennifer Pratt rated it did not like it
This is not a biography. It's a weird long-form love letter to Doris. It lacks perspective, insight, and anything approaching research other than kinda asking some family members to say something about her if they feel like it.
I have no idea why this book exists.
Bonnie
Nov 06, 2010 Bonnie rated it really liked it
I liked it, it's almost always interesting to read about other people's lives. I thought it was interesting that she doesn't have close relationships with any of her children, probably due to the many marriages she had that created an unstable life for them, growing up. I think there's probably another fascinating side to that story. I love how she's devoted her life to making sure the unlucky and unprivileged get some help though. As a parent of two children with Fragile X Snydrome I'm especial ...more
Linnae
Jun 01, 2010 Linnae rated it it was ok
Story of a neat lady--Warren Buffett's sister, in case you didn't guess. She is determined to give away her entire fortune before she dies, and not just making big lump-sum donations ("wholesale philanthropy") but helping individuals with specific needs ("retail philanthropy").

The writing was a bit scattered--just as I thought we were going along chronologically, it would skip ahead to the present day for awhile--a paragraph, or a chapter, or two--then the story would pick back up roughly where
Karolyn
Jan 06, 2015 Karolyn rated it liked it
Who knew?
Jenna Gall
Dec 14, 2010 Jenna Gall rated it it was amazing
The Doris Buffett Story was a great book about her life. I had no idea the struggles she went through but she works tirelessly to help those in need. It's a great uplifting story that I would recommend to anybody.
I recieved the book for free from goodreads.com
Jen
Jan 05, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
Good insight into the life and times of Doris Buffett, her struggles, and her resolution to make the world a better place, one person at a time, through her Sunshine Ladies Foundation. Inspiring and worth a read.
Linda
Jun 16, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing
An inspiring biography of an intelligent, fascinating woman. Michael Zitz captures the spirit of Doris Buffett, whose generosity and determination can't help but encourage all of us to pay it forward.
Lucas Remmerswaal
Sep 08, 2011 Lucas Remmerswaal rated it it was amazing
Doris is an inspiration giving it all away. The sunshine lady brings a smile to my face, check out you tube Doris Buffett Review - 13 Habits that made me Billions.
Jeani
Jun 08, 2010 Jeani rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I never knew much about Doris Buffett before I read this book. She is an incredible woman and is an inspiration!
Anette Packer
Aug 27, 2010 Anette Packer rated it liked it
Interesting book on Doris Buffett's life and how she is orchestrating "giving it all away" before she dies.
Ellie Revert
Oct 27, 2010 Ellie Revert rated it liked it
Fascinating story about WArren's sister, her tough life, and the great resolution of it all.
tina dorn
tina dorn rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
Sue Klasing
Sue Klasing marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
HR
HR marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Nabil
Nabil marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Fırat Ergül
Fırat Ergül marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Connor Oswald
Connor Oswald marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
DHIREN
DHIREN marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Kaerber
Kaerber marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Debbie Lachance
Debbie Lachance rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Brian Janssen
Brian Janssen marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Nancy Mock
Nancy Mock marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
YK Toh
YK Toh marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Sandy Williams
Sandy Williams marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016