Stepping Heavenward (Dodo Press)

Stepping Heavenward (Dodo Press)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  3,391 ratings  ·  247 reviews
Elizabeth Payson Prentiss (1818-1878) was a Presbyterian pastor's wife, mother, and an author, well known for her hymn "More Love to Thee, O Christ" and the didactic story Stepping Heavenward (1870). Some of her verses were recently compiled in a book published by Solid Ground Christian Books Golden Hours: Hearthymns of the Christian Life. She was born and raised in Portla...more
Published December 21st 2007 by Dodo Press (first published 1860)

To ask other readers questions about Stepping Heavenward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stepping Heavenward

Hannah C.
Jun 01, 2007 Hannah C. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian girls/women AND guys!
a fictional diary from the point of view of a Christian teenage girl who is hot-tempered and overanalytical (sounds like me!)... the story follows her as she truly dedicates her life to Christ, although she grew up in a believing family, and as she goes through life. first love, marriage, family and more... loved this book.

brothers... it's not just a book for girls. if ur interested in figuring out a little of the way the mind of a gal works, please read it. she's so honest with her feelings and...more
Melissa
Written in 1869, this is a fictional journal of a young woman--her beginning, doubts, disobedience, growth, marriage, difficult in-laws, children, and her older days--and is still pertinent to women today.

It's good to read a book (the second time) in which the main character, at least in the main, listens to and learns from her mother and other older and wiser people. The main character has a lot of flaws, yet she wants to please God, and slowly grows. I can relate to many of her struggles, so I...more
Katie Ann Huy
This book is awesome!!! It is my all time favorite book! I recommend it for every girl 13 and up! You can never outgrow this book! wonderful Christian insight! At twelve years old it shaped my views on girlhood, young womanhood, womanhood, motherhood, life and death. Prentiss is a intriguing writer and she keeps your attention. Though the book was written in a very different time, it very relatable to girls now days. Best book ever! Read it, you won't regret it!
Lady Jori
This is one of my FAVORITE books EVER! It's a really good book for us girls and our relationship with our mom and how it should look; and it's a good book for what kind of wife we should be to our husbands.I think it's a good book for many things. Like how we deal with hardships and struggles. Do we praise God when he gives as as well as we praise Him when He chooses to take away? Great book for my fellow brothers in Christ to read on how they can be sensitive to their wives. (well when they gro...more
Heather
I didn't feel like I had anything in common with the main character, Katherine. The book begins on her sixteenth birthday and she has a little tiff with her mother on whether or not she should wear her boots out in the snow! I have never seen anyone do that over the age of six.

None of the temptations I face were present in her life, and none of the temptations she faced are present in my life.

I know a lot of people really like this book, and I'm sure they have good reasons. It's just not for me.
Jordan
This is a deeply thoughtful book on the life of a young Christian as she struggles to understand what it means to follow Christ. I found this book very encouraging as I could relate with the difficulties and questions about the Lord that life brought to the main character. I found it very edifying and helpful to anyone going through trials.
Nicole
This was an excellent read. The heroine reminded me much of myself, so it was a blessing to read about how her Christian walk progressed and to see hoe she grew in the knowledge of Christ.
I'd be interested in reading this again some day after I'm married and have children.
Stacey
One of my favorite books. Written as a journal, it follows the spiritual journey of a girl from about 16 years well into motherhood... It challenged my walk with Christ more than anything I've read in a long time. It's worth reading every couple of years.

Some Favorite quotes:

You will imagine that it is best that He should at once enable you to see clearly. If it is, you may be sure He will do it. He never makes mistakes. But he often deals far differently with his discisples. He lets them grope...more
Caroline
Aug 25, 2010 Caroline rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every girl
Recommended to Caroline by: Mom
Shelves: favorite
This is probably one of the most excellent, most encouraging books I have ever read! My mom suggested it to me several years ago, but I just recently picked it off the shelf. Stepping Heavenward follows Katherine Eliot’s life from the age of sixteen until her death as she pours out her soul through her journal. Although written in the 1800’s, the issues she deals with (such as doubts about her salvation, an unruly temper, disrespect to parents, death of loved ones, marriage, etc.) are as relevan...more
Amanda
STEPPING HEAVENWARD by Elizabeth Prentiss is definitely a keeper-shelf book - it is a classic after all! I imagine it's the kind of book that grows with you, and would be something that would speak to you and bless you at any age in your journey heavenward.

Every girl will be able to see herself in the heroine, Katherine (a.k.a. Katy). I could identify with so much of what she felt and what she struggled with. She spills out every heart ache, every desire, every stumbling block, every insecurity...more
Mikejencostanzo
Stepping Heavenward is the journal of a woman who lived in the 1800's. We follow her life from her first entry as a 16 year old until her last entry shortly before her death. Sometimes, her journal lies unwritten in for months, even years at a time. But always, she returns to it and the entries it contains combine to make a coherent & really quite glorious story when it's all said and done.

I think one of the most wonderful things about following the life of Katy Elliott is how truly genuine...more
Kate Hyde
I dare say this is my favorite book. It's not just good reading - it's life-changing. This story of a woman's life journey with God is so inspiring and so REAL. Even though her story takes place in the 1800's, I can easily relate to it today. It's not just one struggle that she overcomes - it's a lifetime of getting to know her Heavenly Father. She has successes and failures, triumphs and tragedies, and through it all, she gradually comes to see God's hand over ever area of her life. This book h...more
Robin
Stepping Heavenward
Elizabeth Prentiss
This is my favorite book of all time. I have given this to many people for it is a story that is worth sharing and a book I have read through many times. It is about a young woman and the life she lived written through her journal and some letters. It is so realistic that it seems real and is easy to forget that it is a work of fiction. It is filled with faith, life, death and family the core elements of what day to day life is. Unlike many stories this one m...more
Jessica
Jul 17, 2008 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Age!
Shelves: christianfiction
This is one of the most encouraging and uplifting books that I have read in a long time (besides my Precious Bible!). I found that Katie answered questions that I'd been wondering, without even realizing it! She gave me a mirror to myself, seeing my struggles and how to biblically overcome them.
It's so kindly and thoughtfully written, yet at the same time challenging you to take a stand, to live for God!
I highly recommend it! (Don't let the semi-boring cover deceive you! I put off reading this f...more
Lisa Johnson
This book has been a favorite for years. I keep telling friends to read it because I love it so much. I even fought with a friend over a beautiful antique copy we spotted in a booth somewhere over ten years ago. I still remember the loss! This story is written in journal form and starts when Katherine turns sixteen. Set in the early 1800's, she writes in a very candid and feather funny way. She exposes her character flaws as she seeks to live more Godly. But she really does struggle beautifully....more
Charlotte
This book was written as a journal covering the period from 1831 to 1858, and the author lived from 1818 to 1878 so she was writing about a time she knew well. I wanted to read the book to see how someone living at the same time as my great-great grandmother spent her days.

The author did a good job with character development of Katy, the main character. It seemed as if the author was describing herself, and perhaps she did to some extent. Katy was a very spiritual person, very concerned with...more
Amy
The book was originally published in 1869 and yet I feel like the sentiments and experiences were very applicable to me. it is the story of one young girl through her womanhood. it is written journal entry style and highlights her struggles with the desire to be good and what she expresses as her natural selfish or moody tendacies. This is a very tender book that beautifully illustrates the progression each of us makes towards our eternal goals.
Wendi Klaiber
Such an endearing story! This book encouraged me in my walk with Christ, relationship with my husband, and role as a mother. This book is a compilation of journal entries from a young woman beginning when she was 16 until her death. The entries are so real with the struggles and questions of life. I would love to read this book at the beginning of each year as a reminder of what is good and true in this life.
Catie
A total downer. Supposedly this is about how a woman finds fulfillment through self-sacrifice and discipline. I found it depressing and hard to relate to--the protagonist begins to feel insipid instead of noble.
Jenna
This is one of my favorite books!! It really resonated with me. I think she does a wonderful job portraying the ups and downs of the Christian life. I related to the main character very easily.
Miriam
Brilliant read!! You can really see throughout the story how Katie(the main character) changes in the way she behaves and thinks as she progresses in her Christian walk. A must read!!
Linda
Profound. One of my all time favorites.
Ricky-ann Gold
This book was recommended and given to me by my pastors wife and even though published in 1869 it is a timeless piece that grasps the inward struggles of a Christian woman in her walk with Christ. It is written in such a way that it is a treasured piece of literature that I will no doubt read again and again. It's a book where you can really connect with the character and it gives you a feeling of relief that you are not the only one with the feelings that she is going through. Overall a great r...more
Tara
Read it when I was 11 or 12, thought it was boring. (Turns out I was the boring one.) Wanted to read it again, because I knew it had been a favorite of my mom's...and there were certainly goosebumps when I read: "Could I leave this precious little flock, uncared for, untended? Have I faith to believe that if God calls me away from them, it will be in love to them? I do not know. The thought of getting away from the sin that still so easily besets me is very delightful, and I have enjoyed so many...more
Barb Terpstra
I love this book! I am fortunate to have a copyrighted 1880 hardcover copy that includes a sketch of the author that my mom bought somewhere for 75 cents.

This is a sweet old fashioned story of a young girl, Katy, and her struggles to accept God's love. The circumstances of her life are told in journal format, and her story charms me.

For me, this book is real - I resonate with Katy's feelings of wanting to be a God honoring person, and my own selfish desires. Like Katy, I struggle with letting...more
Erin
Fiction written in journal style, it's a surprisingly realistic and extremely personal account of one girl/woman's daily struggles in growth and godliness. Refreshingly honest, too. I felt like I have lived exactly what she describes--the frustrations of wanting to do what's right, and the complete inability to do so, apart from Christ's doing the work from within.
It's rather Romans 7, but doesn't leave you feeling hopeless.

And yes, the book made me cry-- tears of recognition that someone else...more
The book is about the life of Katy from when she is sixteen to her death. It is written from her perspective as a journal of her triumphs, struggles and day to day life of following Christ.

The book was written in 1998 however set in the eighteen hundreds. I did find it a bit wordy however it made it more authentic for the time period it was set in – it was however a bit inconsistent and some parts did sound quite modern.

At first I wasn’t too fond of Katy, however I think it was because of her im...more
Bobbie
My dear mother handed me this book at the age of twelve and informed me it was required reading material for that school year. Back then I was an avid reader (and I still am), but I was fully expecting to despise this book. I was so tired of perfect main characters who did everything right.

"I seem to have got back into all my bad ways again. Mother is quite out of patience with me. I have not prayed for a long time. It does not do any good."

And I fell in love. This book has a special place on m...more
Kim
Aug 05, 2012 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kim by: Sally
Shelves: summer-2012
This was a truly fantastic read for me! I received it as a high school graduation gift and am so grateful that I did. "Stepping Heavenward" has opened my eyes to who God really is and what He wants from us. Over the course of a week, I read "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan at the same time as this and I must say they make an excellent pair.
I would recommend this book to anyone willing to read 360 pages or so. As I read through, I wondered how communicative this would be to a non-believer and decided...more
junia
Aug 09, 2009 junia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to junia by: susan kim
Shelves: fires-of-sancti
  • Mother
  • Beautiful Girlhood
  • The Basket of Flowers: A Tale for the Young (Rare Collector's Series)
  • Joyfully at Home: A Book for Young Ladies on Vision and Hope
  • The Lamplighter
  • Let Me Be a Woman
  • Ishmael
  • Mary Jones and Her Bible
  • So Much More
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • The Wide, Wide World
  • Teddy's Button
  • The Hidden Art of Homemaking
  • Idols of the Heart, Learning to Long for God Alone
  • Raising Maidens of Virtue: A Study of Feminine Loveliness for Mothers and Daughters
  • Before You Meet Prince Charming: A Guide to Radiant Purity
  • The Lost Art of True Beauty
  • Treasures of the Snow
Aunt Jane's Hero: Portrait of a Christ Centered Home Little Threads (Rare Collector's Series) The Little Preacher The home at Greylock Little Susy Stories

“The question is not whether you ever gave yourself to God, but whether you are His now.” 16 likes
“Our course heavenward is like the plan of the zealous pilgrim of old, who for every three steps forward, took one backward.” 16 likes