Start by marking “Smart Start-Ups: How Entrepreneurs and Corporations Can Profit by Starting Online Communities” as Want to Read:

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Praise for Smart Start-Ups
"Silver's new book is a masterpiece of clarity concerning the next great entrepreneurial wave, and my only problem with it was the charley horse in my elbow I got turning the pages."
-Robin Richards, founding President, MP3.com, and CEO, Notification Technologies Inc.
"Silver is a modern-day Prometheus. For community entrepreneurs, Smart Start-Ups
Published May 1st 2007 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about Smart Start-Ups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Start-Ups

Nick
I read most of it, but didn't finish it. Somewhere around the part where he started talking about Firefox being made of blogs and how all social networks should offer branded credit cards or that people would pay $2.40 per video that members sent to them, I realized that Silver is an old guy trying hard, and almost succeeding, to know what he's talking about on all these newfangled topics. He has a few good insights here, particularly about appearing to be rookies, not relying on advertising as ...more
Book Calendar
Smart Start-Ups How Entrepreneurs and Corporations Can Benefit by Creating Online Communities by David Silver.

David Silver is a venture capitalist and an author of over 30 books on business. This book varies between being a strategy guide to start an online community and a stream of ideas for starting a variety of online businesses. The book describes online communities as being both on the internet and on mobile phones.

I found the sections on how to start an internet company quiet interesting.
Bashar
This is one of those books which I decided to leave unfinished, for the author has this twisted vision of locking everything on the net, making it pay per view kind of web. The kind we all don't want to have. He talks about how social sites should be charging it's users rather than providing it for free and monetizing it. Just imagine how that will effect interconnectivity. With free tools, people find it hard to migrate. Imagine how hard it would be with paid ones.

He supports the idea of sellin
Lori Grant
A must-read book on startups for knowledge workers and aspiring entrepreneurs.
Michelle
Could have been more easily readable using visual techniques.
Phuong Phan
I've found many ideas for my start-up in this book. It's great!
Danielbstern
was excellent at the time I read it.
Faisal
Jan 14, 2011 Faisal added it
want to read
Lars
Lars marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
John Seyferth
John Seyferth marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
William
William marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Miraj (Papyrus) Khaled
Miraj (Papyrus) Khaled marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Alessandro Viola
Alessandro Viola marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Joshua
Joshua added it
Oct 04, 2014
Emet Blood
Emet Blood marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Ryan
Ryan added it
Aug 22, 2014
Amin
Amin is currently reading it
Apr 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Social Network Business Plan: 18 Strategies That Will Create Great Wealth Smart Start Ups: How To Build And Profit From Online Communities The Silver Prescription: The Eight-Step Action Plan for Entrepreneurial Success Successful Entrepreneurship Entrepreneurial Megabucks: The 100 Greatest Entrepreneurs of the Last 25 Years