Smart Start-Ups: How Entrepreneurs and Corporations Can Profit by Starting Online Communities

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Praise for Smart Start-Ups
"Silver's new book is a masterpiece of clarity concerning the next great entrepreneurial wave, and my only problem with it was the charley horse in my elbow I got turning the pages."
-Robin Richards, founding President, MP3.com, and CEO, Notification Technologies Inc.
"Silver is a modern-day Prometheus. For community entrepreneurs, Smart Start-Ups...more
Published May 1st 2007 by John Wiley & Sons

Nick
I read most of it, but didn't finish it. Somewhere around the part where he started talking about Firefox being made of blogs and how all social networks should offer branded credit cards or that people would pay $2.40 per video that members sent to them, I realized that Silver is an old guy trying hard, and almost succeeding, to know what he's talking about on all these newfangled topics. He has a few good insights here, particularly about appearing to be rookies, not relying on advertising as...more
Book Calendar
Smart Start-Ups How Entrepreneurs and Corporations Can Benefit by Creating Online Communities by David Silver.

David Silver is a venture capitalist and an author of over 30 books on business. This book varies between being a strategy guide to start an online community and a stream of ideas for starting a variety of online businesses. The book describes online communities as being both on the internet and on mobile phones.

I found the sections on how to start an internet company quiet interesting....more
Bashar
This is one of those books which I decided to leave unfinished, for the author has this twisted vision of locking everything on the net, making it pay per view kind of web. The kind we all don't want to have. He talks about how social sites should be charging it's users rather than providing it for free and monetizing it. Just imagine how that will effect interconnectivity. With free tools, people find it hard to migrate. Imagine how hard it would be with paid ones.

He supports the idea of sellin...more
Lori Grant
A must-read book on startups for knowledge workers and aspiring entrepreneurs.
Michelle
Could have been more easily readable using visual techniques.
Phuong Phan
I've found many ideas for my start-up in this book. It's great!
Danielbstern
was excellent at the time I read it.
Faisal
Jan 14, 2011 Faisal added it
want to read
Amin
Amin is currently reading it
Apr 02, 2014
Jessica Dykins
Jessica Dykins marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Guillermo D
Guillermo D is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2014
xin bo zhao tzu
xin bo zhao tzu marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Diraj Goel
Diraj Goel marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
William Diantonio
William Diantonio marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
Ovick Alam
Ovick Alam marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Mazen Musa
Mazen Musa marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Scott Kenney
Scott Kenney marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2013
Taskmaster
Taskmaster marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
Inanc Gumus
Inanc Gumus marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
Crystal Coleman
Crystal Coleman marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Social Network Business Plan: 18 Strategies That Will Create Great Wealth Smart Start Ups: How To Build And Profit From Online Communities The Silver Prescription: The Eight-Step Action Plan for Entrepreneurial Success Entrepreneurial Megabucks: The 100 Greatest Entrepreneurs of the Last 25 Years Who's Who in Venture Capital