Start by marking “Little Owl Lost” as Want to Read:
Little Owl Lost

Little Owl Lost

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  2,376 Ratings  ·  267 Reviews
From a debut author-illustrator! What if a little owl fell from his nest? A reassuring story for the very young told with whimsy and simple, vibrant artwork.

Uh-oh! Little Owl has fallen from his nest and landed with a whump on the ground. Now he is lost, and his mommy is nowhere to be seen! With the earnest help of his new friend Squirrel, Little Owl goes in search of anim
Published August 10th 2010 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Little Owl Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Owl Lost

David
Oct 12, 2010 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: low-calorie, brat-lit
I dislike children generally. And more pointedly I dislike the schlumpy mothers hobbling around grocery stores with their large, mewling broods in tow -- nosepicking, running, and squawking Helen Kellerly at the brightly packaged merchandise on the shelves. Meanwhile, the matriarch -- either oblivious or basking in a mistaken sense of entitlement -- deliberately allows her miniature Axis of Evil to annex most of the frozen food aisle and deprive the mercifully childless of any chance at a peacef ...more
KC
Adorably cute and funny.
Kevin Doyle
May 13, 2014 Kevin Doyle rated it it was amazing
I grabbed this picture book during the same library visit when I checked out " Stuck" by Oliver Jeffers. My kids and I were SO excited for "Stuck" that I figured the others would pale in comparison. However, "Little Owl Lost" quickly became the star of the batch.

This book has all the elements of an outstanding picture book:

Super-simple writing that's executed perfectly. I particularly love how sure the squirrel is that he can help. Upon hearing about the owl's predicament, squirrel says "Yes, y
Heather
Nov 15, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
love LOVE the illustrations! adorable story too :)
Tdavis
Mar 02, 2011 Tdavis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Preschool - 1st Grade
Cute folksy artwork! The story tells the simple tale of an owl who tries to find his mother by describing her features to a helpful squirrel—hilarity ensues. Great read-a-loud and dialogic reading (asking open ended questions).

Early Literacy Skills:

Narrative Skills
Print Motivation
Lucia
Dec 13, 2010 Lucia rated it really liked it
Poor Little Owl has trouble staying in his nest. With the help of a friend, Squirrel, he searches and searches for his momma. His descriptions allow for guessing to see what Squirrel will think of next. Illustrations are bold and fun!
Natalie
Feb 05, 2015 Natalie rated it really liked it
An up-to-date Are You My Mother
Honya
May 12, 2016 Honya rated it really liked it
Little Owl Lost is an adorable picture book for a younger preschool audience. It has that great blend of repetition and variety that seems to work so well with that age group. Plus it introduces a number of forest animals. And of course, there’s the great reassurance that when you’re lost your mother is looking just as hard for you as you are for her, cemented by the satisfying reunion in this story. I love the way this particular story loops back around at the end to Little Owl falling asleep a ...more
Teresa Moreland
Feb 23, 2016 Teresa Moreland rated it liked it
This is a quick tale of Little Owl who fell out of a tree and lost his mommy. In his quest to find her, Little Owl enlists a fellow squirrel to help him. With each description of Mommy Owl, Squirrel directs Little Owl to the wrong animal. Finally, Frog announces that he knows where to find Mommy Owl, which they do, and are all invited up for cookies. I think this a great book for emerging readers-especially because the reader can demonstrate correct prosody with all the dialogue in the book. You ...more
Laura O Driscoll
Jan 03, 2012 Laura O Driscoll rated it liked it
‘Little Owl Lost’ by Chris Haughton is a must-read for all young children. If the gorgeous illustrations aren't enough to draw you in, this sweet story about a little owl who falls from his perch will certainly make you smile. When the little owl falls from his nest, he realizes he has lost his mummy. With the earnest assistance of his new friend Squirrel, he sets off in search of her, meeting lots of other animals along the way. Yet, while one might have his mummy’s bit eyes, and another her po ...more
Gail Gauthier
May 12, 2016 Gail Gauthier rated it it was amazing
"Love the artwork here. This is the story of an owl who falls out of his nest and is helped to get back to his mom by a squirrel. The squirrel keeps finding the wrong mom. Child readers might find the mistakes humorous and enjoy taking Little Owl's part and setting squirrel straight over and over again. That's an interesting idea. The reader brings the humor to the story. A nice work overall."

Excerpt from Original Content.
Danica Midlil
I liked the cute story. Helpful squirrel, much more practical and helpful frog, vaguely uncautious mother.
The colors of the illustrations are right out of the '70s. The cover is the color of vomit so very popular in that decade. I'm also not a huge fan of the digitally rendered illustrations. The illustrator manages to create characters with a lot of depth and personality but the crappy quality of the digital pictures is distracting from the story. Another medium would have been better, I think
Janni
The tragic tale of a good-hearted squirrel who lacks the skills to survive in the wild. Unable to tell the difference between a bear, a rabbit, a frog, and an owl, our hero's lack of discernment proves fatal when he cheerfully accepts an owl's invitation into her nest for "cookies." The final details of the squirrel's inevitable demise are, in a bold yet necessary move, left to the imagination of the reader.

"Uh oh," indeed.
Ellis
Dit was helemaal perfect. Mijn voorleesmeisje is er dol op. De tekeningen zijn origineel, maar duidelijk. Het verhaal is simnpel, maar interessant. Het heeft een vleugje humor, wat spanning en lokt uit tot nadoen. Twee keer mogen voorlezen en daarna las ze het verhaal zelf. (Bijna helemaal in het Nederlands!) Helemaal raak dit boek.
Jackie
Jun 22, 2012 Jackie rated it really liked it
Oh my....the kids loved this one at storytime! They made me read it over again!
Little Owl falls off the roost...oops! uh oh! He needs help finding his mother. All his animals friends want to help, but little owl's description of his mother makes for some hilarious results!

Used for Dream Big:READ! Owls storytime: June, 2012.

Tracy Morton
Oct 20, 2016 Tracy Morton rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love Chris Haughton! His books are low enough text that they can be read to your preschoolers but they are high enough interest that you're kindergarteners will enjoy them too. This one is about a little owl who is trying to find his mother.
Leyoh
Jan 05, 2012 Leyoh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not from my reading list, my nieces (no, honestly. The pictures are fabulously kooky. Its a sweet sweet story about a baby waiting for it's mom to find it after falling out of the nest. We love it. Even after the 65th time.
Sílvia
May 04, 2016 Sílvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, infantojuvenil
Delicioso!
Molly
This was a hit in storytime.
April Thompson
Apr 21, 2014 April Thompson rated it it was amazing
One word: A-freakin-dorable!

Read this. Read this now.
Lisa
May 02, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
The overzealous squirrel, trying to be helpful, adds a fun little twist to the typical "Are You My Mother" story. Cute pictures... I love how expressive the animals can be with such simple artwork.
Emma - Mybookcorner
This is a great picture book, definitely worthy of your attention. The illustrations are stunning, the text quirky and simple - perfect for keeping attention of little ones!
Andrea
Oct 28, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book! I'm going to go buy it for Allison! :)
Becki
Apr 19, 2014 Becki rated it really liked it
This was so cute.

It even made a sick four year old smile after a hissy fit. So you must know that it is a keeper.

Also the ending had me grinning from ear to ear.

Phoebe
Mar 09, 2011 Phoebe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
"My mommy has big eyes like THIS!"

I like owls even more than I did before after reading this :D
Joostw
Jan 24, 2012 Joostw rated it it was amazing
De spanning, de sensatie.... Geweldig boek!!! Zo wil ik elke avond wel worden voorgelezen!
Melki
Jan 18, 2017 Melki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, birds
An owlet falls out of the nest . . .

description

and a helpful, though not very bright squirrel . . .

description

helps him find his mother.

This is ADORABLE!

Karyn
Mar 10, 2017 Karyn rated it it was amazing
Recently bought this book for my 2 year old nephew & it's already become a favourite. Whenever I visit he asks to read it - the pictures are gorgeous. The animals look shocked to be mistaken for the mother - this never ceases to make my nephew laugh!
Julianna
  • Jump!
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Waiting for Winter
  • Little Owl's Night
  • Up and Down (The Boy, #4)
  • Blue Chameleon
  • If You're Hoppy
  • except if
  • Farmyard Beat
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • Two Little Monkeys
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Hooray for Hat!
Chris Haughton is an Irish illustrator and author living in London. He was listed in Time magazine's 'DESIGN 100' for the work he has been doing for fair trade clothing company People Tree. His debut book 'A Bit Lost' was first published in English in September 2010. It has been translated into 15 languages and won 9 awards in 7 countries including the Dutch Picturebook of the Year.
'Oh No George'
More about Chris Haughton...