Start by marking “Ape” as Want to Read:
Ape

Ape

With compelling illustrations and a conservationist slant, this look at four rare great apes — and one very familiar one — is a book to go ape over.

Published September 14th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published November 13th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Ape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ape

Linda
It's wonderful to find a book that will introduce new ideas and information on a level for young children, and this is one of those. I can see it also being enjoyed by older students. Illustrated in big and bold realistic portraits along with drawings of the animals in their habitats, the book introduces us to the five great apes of the world, four of which are rare. It includes just enough facts to intrigue, and I found myself examining the illustrations for a long time. It's a book to savor. ...more
Julie
Dec 29, 2009 Julie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julie by: Carol Hurst
Shelves: carol-hurst, 1, 2, 4, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Illustrated by Vicky White. (Candlewick, 2007. ISBN 9780763634711. Order Info.) Nonfiction. 45 pages. Grades 1-12.

White's illustrations are a loving tribute to the four non-human species of great apes: chimpanzees, orangutans, bonobos and gorillas. On each spread a single individual is rendered in color with transparent washes over the drawing while the rest of the individuals and the background are left as rougher cross hatch drawings.

The technique helps to create an arresting focus on each a
Simon Joseph
May 13, 2012 Simon Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ape opens by telling us that there are five kinds of great ape in the world, all of which are related, like a family - and 'four of them are very rare.' It isn't difficult to guess what the fifth one might be!

So begins a thoughtful, strikingly illustrated book profiling the great apes of the world (Orangutan, Chimp, Bonobo, Gorilla and of course, Man) - and the challenges they face. We see each in action, in lifelike pictures, leaping for fruit, playing, talking, fighting, sleeping and so on.

Eac
Cassandra Gelvin
Facts about apes with nice pictures.

It's a book about four of the five great apes, which are orangutans, bonobos, chimps, and gorillas. It's kind of a summary, with some nice pictures of them. And then the fifth great ape is humans, and, you know, we're bad. But we're not altogether bad, because we're trying to protect them now! We were bad, but we're better now! Okay?

There's no story. It's just a bunch of facts. The pictures are kind of cool, but there's nothing to follow. I don't think it woul
Mary
Absolutely beautiful illustrations and a great way to tell a conservation story. As I was looking at the pictures, before even getting to the end, I saw myself in the faces of the apes. I also love that they don't completely cute up the apes for the audience. Nature can be a violent place as can the apes and, in one segment, they acknowledge this. Not overtly, but enough that a kid's not going to grow up thinking a chimp is entirely a cuddly teddy bear.
Dorothy
Dec 11, 2013 Dorothy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1-3, ELLs

Swing with a hairy orangutan and her baby as they lunge for a smelly, spiky durian fruit. Roam and play with a gang of chimps, then poke out some tasty termites with a blade of grass. Chatter and feast on figs with a bonobo, or chomp on bamboo with a gorilla as he readies for sleep. Wonderful illustrations based on observation.
Natalie
Ever wondered the difference between yourself, chimpanzees, and orangutans?

This books sheds some gentle light on the similiarities and disctinctions, but with some STUNNING illustrations. I would totally put them on my walls if I was the type of person who put animal pictures on the wall.

File under: beautiful non-fiction
Tdavis
Mar 03, 2011 Tdavis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschool - 2nd Grade
Shelves: vocabulary, preschool
Non-fiction books are great for vocabulary. This has beautiful illustrations that introduce us to similar, but different animals of the ape family. The poetic words give the book a good read-a-loud cadence and make use of descriptive words.

Early Literacy Skills:

Phonological Awareness
Print Motivation
Vocabulary
Melanie
This beyond beautiful book by Jenkins introduces young readers to 4 of the worlds endangered ape species. Behavioral notes are included. Jenkins also touches on the fact that human beings are the 5th kind of ape and how it is our responsibility to make sure these apes have places to live and raise families.
Lisa
Feb 20, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidland-nonfic
The format was neat in that there were 4-8 page chapters for the five different kinds of apes. There is enough information in each section for a basic report, but Jenkins makes it interesting (instead of just in a fact box).
Susan
Mar 03, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vocabulary, animals
Literacy skills:

Vocabulary-This book will help a child expand on current vocabulary. Instead of calling animals by general terms (monkey) readers will be able to use specific terminology to identify the animals. (Ape, orangutan)
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Jan 07, 2012 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it really liked it
I loved Can You Save The Tiger? by Martin Jenkins and this one was also very good. Illustrations were done by the Vicky White who is amazing.
Tiffany Speed
Perhaps it is the illustrations or the lack of color, but my daughter did not enjoy this book as much as the others by Martin Jenkins. Still highly educational and worthy of reading
Chantel
Jul 03, 2008 Chantel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ape is amazingly illustrated and gives as close-up view of the family of great apes. You'll be surprised by the last one.
Lindsay
Feb 16, 2008 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lindsay by: Ellen
I love the illustrations in this book. It's a great way to teach kids a little about each ape, while also teaching kids how they themselves fit in the animal kingdom.
Mary Crabtree
Dec 10, 2008 Mary Crabtree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-kid-books
I love the illustrations in this book....Candlewick just keeps on producing wonderful picture books!

Carrie Gelson
A reread with this group of students - perfect title to read after we finished The One and Only Ivan
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2011
Kelly Risinger
Kelly Risinger rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2014
C
C rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2013
erin
erin rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2012
Julie
May 01, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations in this one are breathtaking.
Asmit
Asmit rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
George
George rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Michael Earp
Michael Earp rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2011
Hannah Jane
Hannah Jane rated it it was ok
May 25, 2015
sarah :)
sarah :) rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Martin Jenkins, a conservation biologist, has written several nonfiction books for children, including Ape, Grandma Elephant’s in Charge, The Emperor’s Egg, and Chameleons Are Cool. He lives in Cambridge, England.
More about Martin Jenkins...