Start by marking “Knitty Kitty” as Want to Read:
Knitty Kitty

Knitty Kitty

“Gather up the cats, stoke the fire, and settle the little ones on your lap with this one for a lovely way to end a winter’s day.”
 —Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books (starred review)

What could Knitty Kitty be knitting? Something to keep three mischievous kittens toasty and comfy, of course. But after the snow falls and the moon comes up and it’s bedtime for kitte
Published September 28th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published September 9th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Knitty Kitty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitty Kitty

Sarah Sammis
Grandmothers are so typically described as sitting in rocking chairs, wearing shawls and knitting as they rock even though the grandmothers my generation had in our families weren't like that and my children's grandmothers are certainly not like that. Yet, the trope is alive and well, especially in children's books such as Knitty Kitty by David Elliott.

The grandmother here is a matronly calico who sits in a pink and green polka dotted armchair, knitting as she watches three rambunctious kittens.
Becky
Jan 20, 2009 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knitty Kitty, you guessed it, is about a cat that knits. What does she knit, you ask? Why she knits things to keep her three little kittens warm and cozy.

Clickety-click.
Tickety-tick.
Knitty Kitty sits and knits.

First comes a hat, then comes some mittens, and last but not least a scarf. But what happens when these three little kittens give away their presents--give them to the snowman in their yard? How will three little kittens stay all warm and cozy now? Knitty Kitty has a solution! Read and see
Bridget R. Wilson
Kitty knits hats, mittens, and scarves to keep her kittens warm and cozy. . They promptly give her creations to the snowman they made. At night, they realize the only thing they need to be cozy is their mother.

What I thought: This is a cute book. The kittens behave just like kids--giving their knitwear to a snowman. This will appeal to lovers of the story of three little kittens who loose their mittens.
Rosa Cline
The illustrations were wonderful in this storybook-picture book; the text was basic only a few words per page but was still a special little book. A Mama cat starts off knitting something special for each of her babies; and they each take tem outside to the snowman because he needs to be warm too. But when it's bedtime they are cold and worries about what they will do to stay warm. But Mama cat says not to worry that SHE will warm them and they all lay together to go to bed.
Charlotte
Mar 31, 2010 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Charlotte LOVED this book. She really likes books about cats, and she loved the simple format of this book. Very few lines per page, great illustrations, and knitting! Knitting is something that Charlotte sees a lot of, and she was really thrilled to see it in a picture book. Not a lot of analysis here - she just really likes this book.
Alana
As a cat-lover and a knitter, we knew I'd like this one. (It even comes with a website for the simple knitting patterns!) The knitty kitty in question is the motherly/grandmotherly figure of a calico looking after three kittens. This is a sweet read, particularly for those kids who love kittens, and it would make an ideal read-along on a winter's night.
Dec 12, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
One of Annie's favorite bedtime/naptime reads right now. I love it, too. I think I like everything this illustrator has contributed to (see: Oliver Finds His way. And the author is local.
Alice
Jun 16, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
3.5 stars A cute little book about knitting, kittens, and a snow man who now has a scarf hat mittens etc. But now it is bedtime and the kittens are cold..who will keep them warm...mama cat! Cute, not my taste in pictures but still nice..the cover art isn't anything like that what is inside..
Joenna
Dec 15, 2008 Joenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby, toddler
What a cute book! Knitty Kitty sits and knits hats, mittens, and scarves for her three cats. But the cats think the snowman is cold so they give them to him. When they go to bed, they have nothing to keep them comfy...except their mama! Lots of repitition and rhyming. Great for babies and toddlers.
Veronica
Nov 14, 2009 Veronica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Veronica by: Kathy Wolf
Read for Homosassa Bedtime Stories on 11/10/2009. Theme: Cats. Paired with "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" (closing song.)

This is a sweet book, better for winter months. Could be paired with "Three Little Kittens" rhyme. Requires some pointing out of action but is otherwise a good storytime book.
Rachael
Of course, it is about cats AND knitting so I had to read it!
This book is great for recognizing rhyming words and identifying silent letters in words like "knit" and "click" as well as blends. It could be used inside a unit on the seasons, identifying clothing that the kittens put on their snowman as "winter-wear" and why they wanted to be comfy, toasty, and warm.
Meg McGregor
Jan 15, 2015 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Lexi and I absolutely loved this story!

A tender Grandmother Kitty knits hats, scarves, and gloves for her three Grand-kittens.

But they are so tender - hearted, (like their Grandmother) they give all their toasty outerwarm, to a snowman, to help keep him warm!

Sweet and gentle, and purr-fect in every way, this story holds up to repeated readings!
Katie Ark
Library Quine
Nice pictures, but a lack-lustre text about a mother cat who knits cosy items for her kittens; hat, mittens and scarf. The mischievous kittens think that the cold snowman needs them more than they do, so place them on him, while going to bed feeling cold. Knitting Kitty has a solution to please them all.
Maggie KutsBorg
Half great, half bad. I like the rhythmic 'clickety clack' pages but not all of the text flowed as well as those did, and the pictures are kind of old-fashioned and muddled looking, and it's just kind of ... meh. The toddlers paid attention (mostly) but I think that's because they're good listeners, not because this is a good book.
Edna
Knitty Kitty knits a pair of mittens for one kitten, a hat for another and a scarf for the third kitten to keep them cozy, comfy and toasty but, the kittens decide a snowman needs the clothing more than they do. Really beautiful full two-page illustrations.
Heather
Jan 30, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, knitting
A very cute, simple picture book. I really loved it. I also thought it was clever to put in a little website in the book jacket that has Knitty Kitty's knitting patterns. While the patterns are just a simple scarf and hat, I think it was sweet they made them available.
Alfajirikali
Feb 14, 2009 Alfajirikali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute ending.
Melissa
The illustrations are darling. The story is darling. The ending is perfect!
Kate
Nov 19, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knitting and cartoon cats. What more do you need to know?
Chrystal
Jun 30, 2010 Chrystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-children
Adorable.
Beth
Dec 01, 2008 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, picture
Cute little story and illustrations
Ranea
Mar 25, 2016 Ranea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice illustrations and rhyming. Would be great for a winter themed baby/toddler storytime.
Mac
Sep 21, 2011 Mac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has kitties in it of course I love it.
Michael
Jan 02, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-lizzy
It was: Cozy, Comfy, and Toasty.
Amy Brown
Cute book about a mama cat that knits thing for her kittens. The illustrations really make this story. The kittens are just too cute!
April
Oct 16, 2008 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a super cute little story but I am a little nervous because Knitty Kitty is kind of hard to say over and over! I am worried it will be a big read aloud tounge twister.
Jamie
Apr 03, 2009 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Clickety-click. Tickety-tick. Knitty kitty sits and knits." The perfect book to read on a winter's night. Spare writing, cozy illustrations.
Tricia
enjoyed the story of the mother cat knitting different items for her kittens and like that they all end up on the snowman. will try for outreach.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • If You Were a Penguin
  • One Mitten
  • Very Hairy Bear
  • Grumpy Cat
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • Jingle-Jingle
  • A Kitten Tale
  • Square Cat
  • The Thingamabob
  • Snow Sounds: An Onomatopoeic Story
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
41984
David Elliott is the author of THE COOL CRAZY CRICKETS and THE TRANSMOGRIFICATION OF ROSCOE WIZZLE. He says of AND HERE'S TO YOU!, "My neighbor’s rooster and I were having a disagreement. I wanted to sleep in the morning; he wanted to crow. The rooster won, of course. The first verse of AND HERE'S TO YOU! is a tribute to his victory and to the joys found in simply following your nature."
More about David Elliott...