Start by marking “Knitty Kitty” as Want to Read:
Knitty Kitty

Knitty Kitty

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  42 reviews
“Gather up the cats, stoke the fire, and settle the little ones on your lap with this one for a lovely way to end a winter’s day.”
—Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books (starred review)

What could Knitty Kitty be knitting? Something to keep three mischievous kittens toasty and comfy, of course. But after the snow falls and the moon comes up and it’s bedtime for kitten...more
Published September 28th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published September 9th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Knitty Kitty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitty Kitty

Sarah Sammis
Grandmothers are so typically described as sitting in rocking chairs, wearing shawls and knitting as they rock even though the grandmothers my generation had in our families weren't like that and my children's grandmothers are certainly not like that. Yet, the trope is alive and well, especially in children's books such as Knitty Kitty by David Elliott.

The grandmother here is a matronly calico who sits in a pink and green polka dotted armchair, knitting as she watches three rambunctious kittens....more
Becky
Knitty Kitty, you guessed it, is about a cat that knits. What does she knit, you ask? Why she knits things to keep her three little kittens warm and cozy.

Clickety-click.
Tickety-tick.
Knitty Kitty sits and knits.

First comes a hat, then comes some mittens, and last but not least a scarf. But what happens when these three little kittens give away their presents--give them to the snowman in their yard? How will three little kittens stay all warm and cozy now? Knitty Kitty has a solution! Read and see...more
Maggie KutsBorg
Half great, half bad. I like the rhythmic 'clickety clack' pages but not all of the text flowed as well as those did, and the pictures are kind of old-fashioned and muddled looking, and it's just kind of ... meh. The toddlers paid attention (mostly) but I think that's because they're good listeners, not because this is a good book.
Mckinley
Kitty knits clothes to keep the kittens warm.
Bridget R. Wilson
Kitty knits hats, mittens, and scarves to keep her kittens warm and cozy. . They promptly give her creations to the snowman they made. At night, they realize the only thing they need to be cozy is their mother.

What I thought: This is a cute book. The kittens behave just like kids--giving their knitwear to a snowman. This will appeal to lovers of the story of three little kittens who loose their mittens.
Rachael
Of course, it is about cats AND knitting so I had to read it!
This book is great for recognizing rhyming words and identifying silent letters in words like "knit" and "click" as well as blends. It could be used inside a unit on the seasons, identifying clothing that the kittens put on their snowman as "winter-wear" and why they wanted to be comfy, toasty, and warm.
Alana
As a cat-lover and a knitter, we knew I'd like this one. (It even comes with a website for the simple knitting patterns!) The knitty kitty in question is the motherly/grandmotherly figure of a calico looking after three kittens. This is a sweet read, particularly for those kids who love kittens, and it would make an ideal read-along on a winter's night.
Charlotte
Charlotte LOVED this book. She really likes books about cats, and she loved the simple format of this book. Very few lines per page, great illustrations, and knitting! Knitting is something that Charlotte sees a lot of, and she was really thrilled to see it in a picture book. Not a lot of analysis here - she just really likes this book.
Library Quine
Nice pictures, but a lack-lustre text about a mother cat who knits cosy items for her kittens; hat, mittens and scarf. The mischievous kittens think that the cold snowman needs them more than they do, so place them on him, while going to bed feeling cold. Knitting Kitty has a solution to please them all.
Veronica
Nov 14, 2009 Veronica rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Veronica by: Kathy Wolf
Read for Homosassa Bedtime Stories on 11/10/2009. Theme: Cats. Paired with "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" (closing song.)

This is a sweet book, better for winter months. Could be paired with "Three Little Kittens" rhyme. Requires some pointing out of action but is otherwise a good storytime book.
Joenna
What a cute book! Knitty Kitty sits and knits hats, mittens, and scarves for her three cats. But the cats think the snowman is cold so they give them to him. When they go to bed, they have nothing to keep them comfy...except their mama! Lots of repitition and rhyming. Great for babies and toddlers.
One of Annie's favorite bedtime/naptime reads right now. I love it, too. I think I like everything this illustrator has contributed to (see: Oliver Finds His way. And the author is local.
Heather
A very cute, simple picture book. I really loved it. I also thought it was clever to put in a little website in the book jacket that has Knitty Kitty's knitting patterns. While the patterns are just a simple scarf and hat, I think it was sweet they made them available.
Edna
Knitty Kitty knits a pair of mittens for one kitten, a hat for another and a scarf for the third kitten to keep them cozy, comfy and toasty but, the kittens decide a snowman needs the clothing more than they do. Really beautiful full two-page illustrations.
The Library Lady
The pictures have an old fashioned Feodor Rojanovsky sort of charm. But it's pretty saccharine. Cat lover that I am, this is a"read once and forget it" sort of book for me.
April
This is a super cute little story but I am a little nervous because Knitty Kitty is kind of hard to say over and over! I am worried it will be a big read aloud tounge twister.
Jamie
"Clickety-click. Tickety-tick. Knitty kitty sits and knits." The perfect book to read on a winter's night. Spare writing, cozy illustrations.
Tricia
enjoyed the story of the mother cat knitting different items for her kittens and like that they all end up on the snowman. will try for outreach.
Dee
This was so cute. It really tugged at my heartstrings. The Illustrations were awesome. It kind of reminded me of Beatrice Potter.
Amy Brown
Cute book about a mama cat that knits thing for her kittens. The illustrations really make this story. The kittens are just too cute!
Holly
I'm a sucker for cat books, but this one is exceptionally good. Very cozy illustrations, repetition, and satisfying ending.
Peacegal
Not much of a story, but the book boasts wonderful illustrations that brought to mind the "Three Little Kittens" nursery rhyme.
Tara
Great storytime book on knitting, kitties or winter! Very simple, and repetitive with a good cadence. Very cute!
Sandybear76
Knitty Kitty keeps making the kittens things to keep warm but the kittens are keeping the snowman warm. Cute.
Amity
I don't know why I like this book so much. It's just cute. If I had more money, I would buy it for Molly.
Miss Pippi the Librarian

Theme: yarn
Additional themes: cats, knitting, winter clothes

Reviewed from a library copy.
Naomi
A favorite story for cat lovers and little ones during the winter time!
Amanda
Very cute story, and my new reader read it all by himself with no problems.
AnnaBnana
ADORABLE.

But then I love kitties and knitting, so perhaps I am biased.
Melissa
The illustrations are darling. The story is darling. The ending is perfect!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Kitten Tale
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Wombat Walkabout
  • There Are Cats in This Book
  • Under My Hood I Have a Hat
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • Where Is Tippy Toes?
  • If You Were a Penguin
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Three Little Kittens
  • Forever Friends
  • Hello, Day!
  • Penguin
41984
David Elliott is the author of THE COOL CRAZY CRICKETS and THE TRANSMOGRIFICATION OF ROSCOE WIZZLE. He says of AND HERE'S TO YOU!, "My neighbor’s rooster and I were having a disagreement. I wanted to sleep in the morning; he wanted to crow. The rooster won, of course. The first verse of AND HERE'S TO YOU! is a tribute to his victory and to the joys found in simply following your nature."
More about David Elliott...
Finn Throws a Fit In the Wild In the Sea On the Farm Evangeline Mudd and the Golden-Haired Apes of the Ikkinasti Jungle