Tales of Hans Christian Andersen: Candlewick Illustrated Classic

Tales of Hans Christian Andersen: Candlewick Illustrated Classic

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Hans Christian Andersen called his life a fairy tale - rising from the obscurity of the slums to become one of the most famous men in the world. But, as Naomi Lewis points out in her introduction, "fairy tales also have their darker side". In life, Andersen was plagued by self-doubt, financial insecurity and toothache, just as the protagonists of his stories had to face te...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 1958)

Melissa Mcavoy
I love this collection of Hans Christian Anderson. Of all the versions of his tales I've seen this one stands out for it's elegant writing, the fact that it retains the strangeness of real fairy tales, and its excellent, non-sacharine illustrations. These are not sanitized versions, they are weird and full of unique details. I particularly love the hot hut near the end of the Snow Queen. A great read aloud and lots of fun for adult reading on a stormy night.
Marlee
The stories in this book are lovely and captivating for all ages. For those who haven't read some of these stories, but have seen disneys movie version, the actual stories may be quite surprising, especially the end. Some of the stories are sad or violent. They are all interesting. Some are surprisingly funny as well. I read these stories with my children, and they both enjoyed them as well. Some of them we read over and over again.
Logan
Nice translation of Andersen's tales, with interesting intros to each story about its history and place in Western culture. I loved the illustrations, especially of the dog with eyes as big as teacups (who reminded me of Tock) and the Ice Queen with her stalactites of ice on her head. Logan didn't think much of them though. He likes things to be a little "cuter" and not distorted.
Marcia
Received this book for Christmas in 1959, when I was four years old.
It has lasted 54 years so far. Lost the dust cover. It is rather beat up, or shall I say well-loved.
No ISBN to be found.
Wonderful book, one of only two to survive childhood.
Starbubbles
Apr 15, 2010 Starbubbles rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone who loves fairy tales
Shelves: kid-lit
there's background information, and has very good translations for the stories. i focused on the mermaid story. it was fun reading the real story, and seeing how it compared to the movie.
Maria Arafah
I still adore those first (novels) or (stories) i read in my childhood. They will always be my favorites regardless of their concepts or way of writing !
Tina
Hans Christian Andersen Tales Illustrated by Gustav Hjortlund. Copyright 1978 Published in co-operation with Hans Christian Andersen Museum, Odense.
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Lucia Sanz
Lucia Sanz marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Carriann Forbis
Carriann Forbis marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Farhana Zeeree
Farhana Zeeree marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Hans Christian Andersen (Danish: [ˈhanˀs ˈkʁæsdjan ˈɑnɐsn̩]; often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories—called eventyr, or "fairy-tales"—express them...more
More about Hans Christian Andersen...
The Complete Fairy Tales The Little Match Girl The Emperor's New Clothes The Snow Queen The Steadfast Tin Soldier