Start by marking “Tales of Hans Christian Andersen: Candlewick Illustrated Classic” as Want to Read:
Tales of Hans Christian Andersen: Candlewick Illustrated Classic

Tales of Hans Christian Andersen: Candlewick Illustrated Classic

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Hans Christian Andersen called his life a fairy tale - rising from the obscurity of the slums to become one of the most famous men in the world. But, as Naomi Lewis points out in her introduction, "fairy tales also have their darker side". In life, Andersen was plagued by self-doubt, financial insecurity and toothache, just as the protagonists of his stories had to face te ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Hans Christian Andersen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Hans Christian Andersen

Chris J
I read this to my girls who, while being well-acquainted to fairy land, had yet to be introduced to the more tragic tales of Andersen or Grimm.

I thus enjoyed seeing the shock on the girls' faces when the Steadfast Tin Soldier, only just miraculously reunited with his paper maiden, is in the story's final paragraph then flippantly tossed into the fireplace fire in an older brother's act of cruelty.

This is a fun read and the stories are re-told well in language my eight and five year old followe
Melissa Mcavoy
I love this collection of Hans Christian Anderson. Of all the versions of his tales I've seen this one stands out for it's elegant writing, the fact that it retains the strangeness of real fairy tales, and its excellent, non-sacharine illustrations. These are not sanitized versions, they are weird and full of unique details. I particularly love the hot hut near the end of the Snow Queen. A great read aloud and lots of fun for adult reading on a stormy night.
Marlee
The stories in this book are lovely and captivating for all ages. For those who haven't read some of these stories, but have seen disneys movie version, the actual stories may be quite surprising, especially the end. Some of the stories are sad or violent. They are all interesting. Some are surprisingly funny as well. I read these stories with my children, and they both enjoyed them as well. Some of them we read over and over again.
Logan
Nice translation of Andersen's tales, with interesting intros to each story about its history and place in Western culture. I loved the illustrations, especially of the dog with eyes as big as teacups (who reminded me of Tock) and the Ice Queen with her stalactites of ice on her head. Logan didn't think much of them though. He likes things to be a little "cuter" and not distorted.
Marcia
Received this book for Christmas in 1959, when I was four years old.
It has lasted 54 years so far. Lost the dust cover. It is rather beat up, or shall I say well-loved.
No ISBN to be found.
Wonderful book, one of only two to survive childhood.
Starbubbles
Apr 15, 2010 Starbubbles rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves fairy tales
Shelves: kid-lit
there's background information, and has very good translations for the stories. i focused on the mermaid story. it was fun reading the real story, and seeing how it compared to the movie.
Maria Arafah
I still adore those first (novels) or (stories) i read in my childhood. They will always be my favorites regardless of their concepts or way of writing !
Tina
Hans Christian Andersen Tales Illustrated by Gustav Hjortlund. Copyright 1978 Published in co-operation with Hans Christian Andersen Museum, Odense.
Christina
Christina is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Sandra Pfeifer
Sandra Pfeifer marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Alexandria
Alexandria marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Tharinee Tantiwipawin
Tharinee Tantiwipawin marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Triscia
Triscia marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Reem
Reem marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Gilang Rupaka
Gilang Rupaka is currently reading it
May 04, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Hans Christian Andersen (Danish: [ˈhanˀs ˈkʁæsdjan ˈɑnɐsn̩]; often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories—called eventyr, or "fairy-tales"—express them ...more
More about Hans Christian Andersen...
The Complete Fairy Tales The Little Match Girl The Little Mermaid The Emperor's New Clothes The Snow Queen