Start by marking “Tales of Hans Christian Andersen: Candlewick Illustrated Classic” as Want to Read:
Tales of Hans Christian Andersen: Candlewick Illustrated Classic

Tales of Hans Christian Andersen: Candlewick Illustrated Classic

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Hans Christian Andersen called his life a fairy tale - rising from the obscurity of the slums to become one of the most famous men in the world. But, as Naomi Lewis points out in her introduction, "fairy tales also have their darker side". In life, Andersen was plagued by self-doubt, financial insecurity and toothache, just as the protagonists of his stories had to face te ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Hans Christian Andersen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Hans Christian Andersen

Lindsay
Chris J
I read this to my girls who, while being well-acquainted to fairy land, had yet to be introduced to the more tragic tales of Andersen or Grimm.

I thus enjoyed seeing the shock on the girls' faces when the Steadfast Tin Soldier, only just miraculously reunited with his paper maiden, is in the story's final paragraph then flippantly tossed into the fireplace fire in an older brother's act of cruelty.

This is a fun read and the stories are re-told well in language my eight and five year old followe
Melissa Mcavoy
I love this collection of Hans Christian Anderson. Of all the versions of his tales I've seen this one stands out for it's elegant writing, the fact that it retains the strangeness of real fairy tales, and its excellent, non-sacharine illustrations. These are not sanitized versions, they are weird and full of unique details. I particularly love the hot hut near the end of the Snow Queen. A great read aloud and lots of fun for adult reading on a stormy night.
Marlee
The stories in this book are lovely and captivating for all ages. For those who haven't read some of these stories, but have seen disneys movie version, the actual stories may be quite surprising, especially the end. Some of the stories are sad or violent. They are all interesting. Some are surprisingly funny as well. I read these stories with my children, and they both enjoyed them as well. Some of them we read over and over again.
Logan
Nice translation of Andersen's tales, with interesting intros to each story about its history and place in Western culture. I loved the illustrations, especially of the dog with eyes as big as teacups (who reminded me of Tock) and the Ice Queen with her stalactites of ice on her head. Logan didn't think much of them though. He likes things to be a little "cuter" and not distorted.
Starbubbles
Apr 15, 2010 Starbubbles rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves fairy tales
Shelves: kid-lit
there's background information, and has very good translations for the stories. i focused on the mermaid story. it was fun reading the real story, and seeing how it compared to the movie.
Maria Arafah
I still adore those first (novels) or (stories) i read in my childhood. They will always be my favorites regardless of their concepts or way of writing !
Tina
Hans Christian Andersen Tales Illustrated by Gustav Hjortlund. Copyright 1978 Published in co-operation with Hans Christian Andersen Museum, Odense.
nap385
nap385 marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Amanda
Amanda is currently reading it
Mar 16, 2015
Annika
Annika marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Tricia
Tricia is currently reading it
Mar 05, 2015
Lenali
Lenali marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Troy
Troy marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Gaby
Gaby marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Marthe
Marthe marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Hans Christian Andersen (Danish: [ˈhanˀs ˈkʁæsdjan ˈɑnɐsn]; often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories—called eventyr, or "fairy-tales"—express theme ...more
More about Hans Christian Andersen...
The Complete Fairy Tales The Little Match Girl The Little Mermaid The Emperor's New Clothes The Snow Queen