Start by marking “The Christmas Giant” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Giant

The Christmas Giant

When Santa asks Humphrey the giant and Leetree the elf to grow a Christmas tree, the pair couldn't be more excited! They take great care with their project, planting and watering, snipping and pruning. Finally, the tree is wrapped and ready, and Humphrey and Leetree set off to deliver it. But when disaster strikes, the giant and the elf must come up with a way to make thin ...more
Published September 14th 2010 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Giant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Giant

Kathryn
Dec 07, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
This is a lovely, creative story about friendship and how sometimes it is our "opposites" that help us celebrate who we are. The "moral" is nothing new, but I really enjoyed this fresh telling about a giant and an elf (best friends) who use their different talents and collaborative creativity to bring the best Christmas tree ever to Santa's North Pole. The illustrations are wonderful! One of the newer Christmas books out there, this is sweet holiday treat.
Gmr
Dec 04, 2011 Gmr rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all ages
Recommended to Gmr by: Shelf-Awareness newsletter
A simple story with a wonderful message, this book makes its mark on the holiday reading scene with lights all aglow....but let's not forget about the remarkable artwork. You can really see the talent of this illustrator with each turn of the page. He is able to create a winter wonderland visually worth escaping to and bring to life two characters with such attention to detail (the boughs on the trees, the curls of his beard, the prints of the wrapping paper they were making...all there in their ...more
Tricia
Jan 11, 2011 Tricia rated it really liked it
Unique in line with other Christmas-themed books about Santa's trip in the sleigh or animals gathering for presents...this book is about a giant and an elf who are charged by Santa with growing a holiday tree for Christmastown. They raise the tree from seed, proudly trimming and watering as it grows. When tradgedy strikes, they must think fast to save the day...and they do. Beautifully illustrated and sweetly simple.
Meredith
The Christmas Giant has a slightly misleading title. It should be the Giant and the tiny elf. Both the Giant and the elf make Christmas wrapping paper for Santa until one year when they are given a special mission to grow a Christmas tree for the following year's celebration.

This book has the most beautiful pen and ink and pastel illustrations.
Eva Kelly
Feb 15, 2015 Eva Kelly rated it really liked it
This one is about a giant and an elf who are supposed to get a tree for Santa, except they screw it up. It floats away on an iceberg. But then guess what? They MAKE a tree! So it all works out.
This is a really really good one. I love the elf. He's cute. I just kept HOPING that that giant didn't step on him, and I'm glad he didn't, at least not in THIS book.
Dolly
Dec 22, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a charming, though quite bizarre, story of friendship, cooperation, and making the best of a difficult situation. The narrative is short, even wordless, in some places and the illustrations have a graphic novel kind of format. Though done in pen and ink, they have a woodcut feel to them. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Eva Leger
Dec 09, 2010 Eva Leger rated it really liked it
Shelves: julias-books
I think I found this in Book Page a few months ago and finally ordered it right before Christmas. We read it only today but with as many books as we go through that's to be expected. :-)
Julia and I both really liked this, Julia loved the giant and elf and the fact that they're best friends and my favorite part was the surprise tree at the end. Very unique, very fun, with great illustrations.
Kathryn
Dec 03, 2011 Kathryn rated it liked it
I'd give this one a 3.5 in stars. The art work was wonderful and the story was fantastic until they lost the tree. I know, I know they made another one, I just didn't feel the story needed to go in that direction...
Megan
A unique Christmas tale of an elf and a giant given the task to bring a Christmas tree to Santa. Simplistic sentence structure will make this good for beginning readers, but not so great for a read aloud.

I won this book in a giveaway from My Four Monkeys blog.
Miri
Dec 12, 2012 Miri rated it it was amazing
Loved the illustrations and the story, and I loved the newness of it. I've never read a Christmas picture book like that before.
Soullierekids
Jun 16, 2011 Soullierekids rated it really liked it
Great illustrations!
Tania
Oct 27, 2010 Tania rated it really liked it
Delightful. Reading such books makes me glad to be working in a library.
CharityJ
Dec 08, 2015 CharityJ rated it really liked it
Sweet and refreshing Christmas story with lovely folk art-style illustrations. Love the use of panels and wordless spreads. Definitely worth reading during the holiday season.
Lupine
Oct 25, 2010 Lupine rated it really liked it
This is a very sweet Christmas story, all about making the best with what you've got and finding the solution around you. Plus, for some reason, I adore the illustrations.
Christine
Dec 01, 2011 Christine rated it it was amazing
What a great book. Love the illustrations and the story. Humphrey and Leetree are a good team, growing the giant Christmas tree.
John
Oct 11, 2010 John rated it really liked it
What a sweet book!
Oct 04, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I loved lots about this book -- growing things, the sweet friendship between the giant and the elf and their creative ideas! Darling illustrations too!

Ana Grubac  (LibrariAna)
An adorable Christmas story with charming illustrations tells a story filled with tangible love, friendship, Christmas spirit and even problem solving skills.
Kathy
Light's story demonstrates that, big or small, everyone has gifts to offer-any time of year!
Joanne Roberts
Apr 19, 2016 Joanne Roberts rated it liked it
Cute and different. Rereadable as holiday fare. Has a folktale flavor and folkart look. Unusual ending and unique characters. A nice change of pace for a holiday book.
Randall
Dec 26, 2011 Randall rated it really liked it
It was really funny! I liked the wrapping paper tree.
Kathy Fredrickson
Kathy Fredrickson rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2010
Ohanashiya
Ohanashiya rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2013
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was ok
Dec 23, 2014
FrumpBurger
FrumpBurger rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2010
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2013
Kalen
Kalen rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2012
Michael Earp
Michael Earp rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2011
The Bougie Twins
Dec 19, 2014 The Bougie Twins rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Steve Light grew up in an enchanted place known as New Jersey. He went on to study Illustration at Pratt Institute, he also studied with Dave Passalacqua. Upon graduating he did some corporate illustrations for companies such as: AT&T, Sony Films, and the New York Times Book Review. Steve Light then went on to design buttons that were acquired by the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum. He has since p ...more
More about Steve Light...