The Christmas Giant

The Christmas Giant

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When Santa asks Humphrey the giant and Leetree the elf to grow a Christmas tree, the pair couldn't be more excited! They take great care with their project, planting and watering, snipping and pruning. Finally, the tree is wrapped and ready, and Humphrey and Leetree set off to deliver it. But when disaster strikes, the giant and the elf must come up with a way to make thin...more
Published September 14th 2010 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Giant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Giant

Kathryn
This is a lovely, creative story about friendship and how sometimes it is our "opposites" that help us celebrate who we are. The "moral" is nothing new, but I really enjoyed this fresh telling about a giant and an elf (best friends) who use their different talents and collaborative creativity to bring the best Christmas tree ever to Santa's North Pole. The illustrations are wonderful! One of the newer Christmas books out there, this is sweet holiday treat.
Gmr
Dec 21, 2011 Gmr rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all ages
Recommended to Gmr by: Shelf-Awareness newsletter
A simple story with a wonderful message, this book makes its mark on the holiday reading scene with lights all aglow....but let's not forget about the remarkable artwork. You can really see the talent of this illustrator with each turn of the page. He is able to create a winter wonderland visually worth escaping to and bring to life two characters with such attention to detail (the boughs on the trees, the curls of his beard, the prints of the wrapping paper they were making...all there in their...more
Tricia
Unique in line with other Christmas-themed books about Santa's trip in the sleigh or animals gathering for presents...this book is about a giant and an elf who are charged by Santa with growing a holiday tree for Christmastown. They raise the tree from seed, proudly trimming and watering as it grows. When tradgedy strikes, they must think fast to save the day...and they do. Beautifully illustrated and sweetly simple.
Eva Leger
I think I found this in Book Page a few months ago and finally ordered it right before Christmas. We read it only today but with as many books as we go through that's to be expected. :-)
Julia and I both really liked this, Julia loved the giant and elf and the fact that they're best friends and my favorite part was the surprise tree at the end. Very unique, very fun, with great illustrations.
Meredith
The Christmas Giant has a slightly misleading title. It should be the Giant and the tiny elf. Both the Giant and the elf make Christmas wrapping paper for Santa until one year when they are given a special mission to grow a Christmas tree for the following year's celebration.

This book has the most beautiful pen and ink and pastel illustrations.
Dolly
Dec 22, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a charming, though quite bizarre, story of friendship, cooperation, and making the best of a difficult situation. The narrative is short, even wordless, in some places and the illustrations have a graphic novel kind of format. Though done in pen and ink, they have a woodcut feel to them. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Megan
A unique Christmas tale of an elf and a giant given the task to bring a Christmas tree to Santa. Simplistic sentence structure will make this good for beginning readers, but not so great for a read aloud.

I won this book in a giveaway from My Four Monkeys blog.
Kathryn
I'd give this one a 3.5 in stars. The art work was wonderful and the story was fantastic until they lost the tree. I know, I know they made another one, I just didn't feel the story needed to go in that direction...
Lupine
This is a very sweet Christmas story, all about making the best with what you've got and finding the solution around you. Plus, for some reason, I adore the illustrations.
I loved lots about this book -- growing things, the sweet friendship between the giant and the elf and their creative ideas! Darling illustrations too!

Miri
Loved the illustrations and the story, and I loved the newness of it. I've never read a Christmas picture book like that before.
Christine
What a great book. Love the illustrations and the story. Humphrey and Leetree are a good team, growing the giant Christmas tree.
Tania
Delightful. Reading such books makes me glad to be working in a library.
Randall
It was really funny! I liked the wrapping paper tree.
Soullierekids
Great illustrations!
John
What a sweet book!
Angela Freeman
Angela Freeman marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Steve Light has written and illustrated numerous books for children. He is also a storyteller and preschool art teacher. He lives in New York City.
More about Steve Light...
Have You Seen My Dragon? Trains Go Zephyr Takes Flight Trucks Go Diggers Go