Start by marking “April and Esme Tooth Fairies” as Want to Read:
April and Esme Tooth Fairies

April and Esme Tooth Fairies

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Two young tooth fairies make their first lost-tooth collection in Bob Graham’s warm, whimsical tale.

A Junior Library Guild Selection. April Underhill, seven-year-old tooth fairy, gets a call on her cell phone. This is it! Her first tooth collection. April and her little sister, Esme, must convince Mom and Dad to let them take on the task all by themselves. But soon, two ti
Published September 14th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published June 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about April and Esme Tooth Fairies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about April and Esme Tooth Fairies

Lisa Vegan
Jan 21, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 6 & 7+ year old children and their younger siblings
I adored so much about this book, I don’t even know what parts to talk about here and what I’d rather leave readers to discover for themselves. The story and illustrations are clever and whimsical.

Here is a family of tooth fairies, all with wings, dog included. So cute! The reader/listener can see from their front door sign that they’re a very old and well established tooth fairy family.

April at almost age 8 and Esme at age 6 get their first job picking up a tooth and leaving a coin in return. T
Kathryn
Jan 31, 2011 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Lisa Vegan--thank you!
This is such a cute, warm and humorous story. Yes, it's about tooth fairies and it's a "fantasy" but more than that, it centers around something that is dear to many children and that is being "old enough" to do something Important; especially something that the parents do and that the children admire. In the case of April and Esme, their parents finally entrust them with their very first tooth fairy mission and they are delighted and honored.

I love the details in the illustrations; the hippie
Ann
April and Esme are a 6 and 7 years old and have been requested for their first assignment to gather a tooth! How very exciting... if their parents agree to let them take the job.

I love the idea of glimpsing a tooth fairy's normal life! And I liked how the story was as much about being tooth fairies as it was about parents' coming to terms with their children growing up.

So, for me personally this book was more of a three star, but I can see the appeal so I'm giving it four.
I just found the style
Allison Parker
What a delightfully surprising story! April and Esme are kids with cell phones and ambition; normal, you'd think, except their parents are tooth fairies. When April gets a call for a tooth pick-up, her parents are reluctant to let their little girls on their first assignment. But finally, they agree, and April and Esme venture out and prove themselves old enough for the job.

Bob Graham is so talented in providing perfectly normal yet unconventional adult figures in the children's literature world
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
April and Esme are two young sisters and tooth fairies that have an opportunity to collect their first tooth. Their parents are hesitant to let them go out on their own because the girls are very young (7 and 6 years old) but like all parents must do...they gave their little girls a chance to prove themselves. Will April and Esme be able to handle this new responsibility and make it across the big highway?

I really enjoyed this story because it focuses on an important aspect of childhood--earning
Jenn O'Brien
Who knew that tooth fairy parents were hippies?

I found the illustrations for this picture book rather odd. At the beginning, in introducing the tooth fairy family, the two little girls fly into the house, where the father was found drying clothes by the fireplace ... including a bra. The next page shows the girls talking to their mother who is taking a bath. This all seemed like off, especially for a kids book.

But the thing I didn't get was the random poem about a rabbit at the end. That didn't
Janessa
April and Esme are two young tooth fairies anxious for their chance to prove themselves to their mother and father by collecting their very first tooth. I love the story of budding independence: the parents who love and support and worry about their girls; the adventures and perils; and the feeling of accomplishment at the end of the story. Graham's illustrations are delightful, depicting April and Esme living in a quiet tree stump, in a little cottage where teeth hang from the rafters. He throw ...more
Robin
What is it about Bob Graham? I love his illustrations -- soft, watercolor, evocative; his families -- kind, loving, such normal parents (I love the dad with his ponytail); and his stories, so sweet and touching, but never cloying. As this one opens, seven year old fairy April Underhill gets a call on her cell phone, requesting a visit as a child has lost his tooth. What a perfect opening . . . a surreal blending of the real (cell phones) and fairy realms in such a matter of fact way. Little sist ...more
Alison
This book was a story about two young tooth fairies that wanted to collect a boy's first lost tooth. April and Esme convince their parents to go on their own to get Daniel's tooth. They successfully make it to Daniel's home, get his tooth that was in a glass of water, and are just leaving his coin when he wakes up! Luckily the girls get him to fall back asleep, and they text their mother asking what to do. The mother tells them to whisper in the boy's ear, and he woke up thinking it was just a d ...more
Rebecca
May 16, 2011 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K and up
Oh, the sweetness. Bob Graham does it again in this warm story of two little tooth fairies going out on their first journey to fetch a tooth. When the boy wakes up, they panic and text their mother for advice. LOL! The small details are so winning, from the fairy furnishings (bathing in a teacup) to the boy's grandma's false teeth in a glass ("no, Esme, we don't take those").
Agnes U
I really like the fact that despite the fantasy theme, the fairy family seems to be a contemporary modern family. I have a feeling that the author replaced a story of a casual event with a fairylike story and to make it more credible additional fantasy features had been added. Features such as: fairy wings, the fact that they’re tiny, they all live in a house behind a tree stump that is next to the highway, and of course features that are key elements of the story, meaning teeth hanging from the ...more
Ally Copper
Child readers (kindergarten through third grade) will be enchanted by "April and Esme: Tooth Fairies" by Bob Graham. It tells the story of two young fairies preparing for their first visit to the home of a little boy who has lost a tooth. After receiving guidance and advice from their parents (practiced tooth fairies), April and Esme must secure and bring back the tooth and leave a coin for the little boy to find, and they must accomplish this without being seen. This picture book gives a fun sp ...more
Arminzerella
April (7 ) and Esme (6) are the daughters of tooth fairies. One day, April gets a call on her cell phone – from a client with some very specific instructions – she wants the girls to collect her grandson Daniel’s tooth. She gives them directions to her house and April and Esme rush home to prepare. Their parents are a little concerned that their girls are too young, but eventually they allow them to go (with lots of preparation, reminders, and hugs). The 2 new tooth fairies carry out their missi ...more
Sarah W
I love how the young tooth fairies are depicted as regular elementary school kids with wings. I am so delighted to not see teeny tiaras. The little dog with wings living in April and Esme's home looks quite huggable.

At almost eight years of age, April's off on her first job retrieving a tooth. The young tooth fairies have many of the same issues children have, especially the one about being old enough to do something. April is incredulous when her mom says she has to be magic and unseen by the b
Katie Day
Old-fashioned tooth fairies living in a tiny thatched cottage behind an old stump right next to the M42 North highway - taking calls on their cell phones re teeth waiting to be collected and using electric hair dryers after bathing in a teacup. April Underhill, aged 7 and 3/4, and her younger sister Esme, convince their tooth fairy parents they are ready for their first tooth visit to one Daniel Dangerfield. (His grandmother called them on their cell phone to arrange it.) Even though Daniel has ...more
Tori
It was a cute story about starting to do things on your own without your parents' help. I liked how it was told by Tooth Fairies because it gave it a magical feel to the story. Also, by having it told by Tooth Fairies it makes it so, that the context is not so, scary for children to handle. I think it will be a book I could have in my classroom library or maybe use with a center activity.
Bridget R. Wilson
April & Esme are descended from a long line of tooth fairies. When April receives her first call at age seven and three quarters, she's ecstatic. Convincing her mom & dad she's old enough takes some doing, but they finally agree. Sisters April & Esme are children no longer. They are tooth fairies.

What I thought: A magical book. I love the illustrations. The characters (April, Esme, Mom, Dad, even the family fairy dog) are so unique and individualistic. My favorite illustrations are M
Marsha Earl
April and Esme Tooth Fairies by: Bob Graham

This is a wonderful fantasy book about April and Esme Underhill. April gets her first Tooth Collection assignment by cell phone. The illustrations were definitely twenty first century so real but still a fantasy. This book gets 5 stars and could be used for a read aloud. The girls have to first get their parents’ permission to go alone since this is their first assignment. After reminding their mom that she was six when she got her first assignment pare
Amar Pai
Hooray a children's book that doesn't feature anthropomorphized animals. This is a real three and a half-er. (stars, I mean) I liked the fairies' minute scale and the slightly out of the ordinary details like the tattooed mom and long haired hippie dad. But the story's a bit rote.
Sherry Thornberry
I was not crazy about this book. I liked the way a child tooth fairy was given a great responsibility in retrieving a tooth from under a kids pillow but I just felt that there were so many great and wonderful avenues this book could have explored to make a great story.
Adriel
Why does my child love to hear the books I hate the most? I have read this inane book every night this week and I want it to disappear. Fairies should not have cell phones. The writing is unimaginative. booooo.
Jbaccon
Looking out at a group of toothless Year 2s what other choice is there for a readaloud? So much charm in the details of the illustrations...A book about growing up, taking risks and, for parents, letting go.
Ms. B
Story about two young tooth fairies and their first time picking up and lap evading money for a child's tooth, I would use this one with younger students who are just starting to lose their teeth.
Kellee
I think this will be a super fun book to read with Trent when he loses his first tooth. Gives a new angle on tooth fairies and makes it more modern.
Emma
A very cute story about tooth fairies going on their first tooth retrieval mission. This would be a great story for a child about to lose a tooth or that has recently lost a tooth.
Katie Nanney
I liked April and Esme. They were cute tooth fairies who were 6 and 7 years old. They embark on their first tooth fairy mission to see young Daniel and his lost tooth. The story was intriguing and the pictures were really good. I could see myself reading this book to 1st and 2nd grade and keeping it in my classroom library as a lesson on doing your best.
Magila
The description says as usual, the charm is in the visual details. I agree. The illustrations are perfect. Ethereal and pretty, they are sure to tickle the fancy of little girls. However, the story was really bleh.

I didn't care for this book. Really at all. I recognize it may be far more appealing to young girls, and that the art is stupendous. As a children's book though, I cannot help but feel there are hundreds I would recommend before this.

A coming of age fairy tale that may be right for y
The Library Lady
Bob Graham has a wonderful feeling for families--rumpled, workaday REAL families, and he transfers the same saccharine free spirit to superheroes, nursery rhyme characters and fairies. His Underhill family is delightfully ordinary--save for the fact that they are tiny and tooth fairies. Love the details--Mum in the bathtub, wings spread out behind her, the "string bag" for carrying the coin and then the tooth and little Esme's confusion over the human grandma's dentures. If you're tired of cutse ...more
Amy Walters
This book is extremely adorable, and a book I would definitely buy it in a heartbeat. It is so cute, I love all the pictures in it,the illustrations absolutely enhance the story. I would read this to kindergartners, first graders, second graders, but anything older I wouldn't read it to them because I think they would get bored with it especially because after a certain age mystical characters aren't "cool" anymore, but I would definitely use this book for younger students who are just starting ...more
Ian
A pleasant iota of world-building, burdened with a rote story.
  • Mrs. Wishy-Washy's Farm
  • Clever Jack Takes the Cake
  • The Umbrella
  • Rubia and the Three Osos
200448

An Australian children's author and illustrator. His books include Max, which won the Nestlé Smarties Book Prize Gold Award, Jethro Byrd, Fairy Child, which won the Kate Greenaway Medal, and "Let's Get A Pup!" Said Kate which won the Boston Globe-Horn Book Award
More about Bob Graham...
How to Heal a Broken Wing "Let's Get a Pup!" Said Kate A Bus Called Heaven The Silver Button Vanilla Ice Cream